Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Omnicarus posted:

I don't understand Paradox's attachment to making achievements locked to Ironman mode.

Achievements are there for people that want to achieve something special/specific, they don't give you anything except a badge. I would understand people complaining about this (you are not the first) if unlocking achievements unlocked stuff in the game but it's just there to show you that you did this really hard thing, well some of them are hard at least. I would have gotten bored of CK2/CK3 a long time ago if they didn't have achievements in ironman mode, it gives you a challenge, something to work for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I like the achievements, but I'm profoundly goal oriented in general. I'm actually pretty close to 100%-ing it, I think I'm down to 5 now? One of which being The Thing Love Does For Us to have a lover save you from a murder attempt; I really figured I would have picked that one up organically but I guess it requires lots of extramarital philandering for that to be possible?

Also the 100 Runestone one that literally requires exploits lol

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I think I would like achievements and would enjoy going for them, but I will not play a Paradox game without mods.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Locking more clothes mods behind the checksum saving variables is a sin and betrayal on par with Sunset Invasion and I will never forgot the "p-dox" devs for it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

there should really be a division between ultra-hardcore-fully-understand-and-abuse-game's-mechanics achievements and wacky fun/you played the game achievements, with only the few former ones requiring ironman

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i also feel contractually obligated, as a party pooper, to note that 'paradox took away my ability to feel human' guy was making a shitpost

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Well, I'm not.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Bring back the China DLC, I wanna kowtow and get dope commanders

With Burma in the game now the lack of any interactions with the Far East is more and more absurd. Like, Han culture is a thing in game, there should at least be some events acknowledging that human beings live to the east of the map.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Just play on Ironman, it's way more fun. If you gently caress something up then you gently caress it up!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

How are u posted:

Just play on Ironman, it's way more fun. If you gently caress something up then you gently caress it up!

Mods make the game far more fun than ironman could ever hope to.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

How are u posted:

I tried a few times, it dont works for me

The trill of every decision you make being irrevocable is really fun, but I dont have a high tolerance for frustration in video games anymore, and also Im very easily distracted, I misclick a lot, I forget things. A very fun ironman game I was having in CK2 once was lost because I just forgot to move an army stack and left it getting attrition and than it was destroyed by the enemy and I lost the war, with very bad consequences. I just gave up the game after that, could not bring myself to go on

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Magil Zeal posted:

I haven't played with any mods, so I don't know any different.

I do agree that we should be able to turn off Ironman in an Ironman game, if you want to. It would indeed be fun to switch characters after the big cheevo is accomplished.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Can't wait for CK3 Sunset Invasion.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

Meh, CK3 mods aren't at that point yet. The only mod I've thought was more fun than base CK3 was Tales of Ireland, and that's basically pseudo-vanilla

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Personally I don't care about total conversion mods, it's more about using smaller mods that make existing systems (and aesthetics) better.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Speaking of achievements, I'm trying to get Brave and Bold. Is there really no way to get decent artifacts apart from pumping grandeur and waiting for inspired people to turn up?

I know you can search for inspired people with the character finder but being inspired gives a massive negative penalty to willingness to move court so I don't see how that helps, unless I go down the kidnapping route.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Gato posted:

Speaking of achievements, I'm trying to get Brave and Bold. Is there really no way to get decent artifacts apart from pumping grandeur and waiting for inspired people to turn up?

I know you can search for inspired people with the character finder but being inspired gives a massive negative penalty to willingness to move court so I don't see how that helps, unless I go down the kidnapping route.

The best way is to take them from other characters, especially the good ones that certain historical characters and courts start with. Get the diplomatic perk that allows you to claim any artifact and get them via war (or demand, if you're strong enough).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

The best way is to take them from other characters, especially the good ones that certain historical characters and courts start with. Get the diplomatic perk that allows you to claim any artifact and get them via war.

Is there a way to see those artifacts?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is there a way to see those artifacts?

Sure, you can see other characters' courts and inventories by clicking the corresponding buttons on the character page. A tip on the wiki page is to search for inventory artifacts and focus on kings and emperors.

Edit: Should note that for the 867 start date it's not as awesome because the Reichskrone isn't there to steal, and inventory artifacts specifically aren't super common in the historical category, but it'll still expand your list greatly to have access to any artifact from another character's court, since the AI will sponsor inspirations and may get good ones just like a player (which is why you focus on kings and emperors). You can boost your own inspirations by getting a Scholarly court and the Vibrant Court dynasty perk too.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 20, 2022

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I only play unmodded Ironman and I wouldn’t care at all if every achieve was possible in heavily modded games with any rules.

I should get around to checking out mods eventually.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Hellioning posted:

Otherwise you could just mod yourself to godhood.

If someone really wants to cheat they can just use cheat engine, it doesn't break ironman at all.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Plus there are plenty of rules legal ways to play that are crazy exploity. Other than setting your own standards and doing it for your own challenge the achievements have always been meaningless to me.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
What I'm really excited about are the Iberian clothes we saw a little of in the preview...

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can't wait for CK3 Sunset Invasion.

I want CK3: Invasion of the Rising Sun, have samurai sail up and gently caress poo poo up.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
how come every game I play vassals and courtiers keep showing up nude, why is the Adamite heresy so fuckin popular

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

indigi posted:

how come every game I play vassals and courtiers keep showing up nude, why is the Adamite heresy so fuckin popular

There's a pilgrimage event that gives Christians a chance to convert to Adamitism, and sometimes the AI takes it. This makes it a fairly common heresy, since it doesn't need to pop up naturally.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ok that makes sense. the acceptance rate should be way lower though, I still haven’t to my knowledge come across any other Christian heresies in my games yet

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That's pretty unusual, there's usually a few kicking around from low fervor and/or stress events

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

do they all list it on their character page? I figured it’d be a secret thing like witchcraft, or I think you could do secret conversions in CK2

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I don't think there's a way to find how many characters follow a given religion. I mean, you can tag a specific religion in your character search, but, beyond the ones that directly show up on the map, there's no way to know which of the many available faiths in the game, heretical or otherwise, actually have characters following them unless you browse them one by one. You can sort faiths by counties controlled in the religion > list all religions window, though. Sometimes it's easy to miss a rare religion hanging out in an area with lots of border gore, since the colors don't always stand out.

e: I'm pretty sure many characters keep their conversion a secret, yeah. They can either be non-believers generically (happens often if they're Cynical) or they can have a secret faith.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

indigi posted:

My vassals all seem to have the same secret shame of having adulterous affairs with old women.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Gato posted:

I got this the other day - I ended up getting the achievement on succession when inheriting the Kingdom of Bohemia - I would say look around those Kingdoms and see if any have a good one.

Trying to get Blood Eagle and was well on track (I elevated the Kingdom of Mann - great army bonus for preventing war decs, reducing factions) until my guy got murdered. Then inherited as his daughter, who became disfigured in an event, so now every man hated her (Unreformed, Disfigured, Male Oriented, Short Reign) and she got murdered too - there was nobody to put as my spymaster that didn't dislike me. Then her sister or half-sister inherited as she had no kids. She also got murdered - same malus without the disfigurement. So now I'm playing as a 7 year old. And it turns out that children cannot sponsor inspirations. At least, I assume that's the reason - the button is greyed out with no tooltip to say why. But I can still commission a bad artifact?

Not sure if I should take a reformed faith (Catholicism) now to reduce the opinion malus/reduce the chance of holy wars (and cripple my ability to Conquer) and/or just try to take it easy and not over-expand while everyone hates me.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

Sure, you can see other characters' courts and inventories by clicking the corresponding buttons on the character page. A tip on the wiki page is to search for inventory artifacts and focus on kings and emperors.

Edit: Should note that for the 867 start date it's not as awesome because the Reichskrone isn't there to steal, and inventory artifacts specifically aren't super common in the historical category, but it'll still expand your list greatly to have access to any artifact from another character's court, since the AI will sponsor inspirations and may get good ones just like a player (which is why you focus on kings and emperors). You can boost your own inspirations by getting a Scholarly court and the Vibrant Court dynasty perk too.

:sickos:

yes, this was worth searching the inventory of every Duke+ level in range. Shame nobody has any decent regalia

e: oh god drat it's not an actual wearable crown wtf

Gato fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 21, 2022

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Gato posted:

e: oh god drat it's not an actual wearable crown wtf

Yeah that's the problem, there are a lot of crowns and swords and such that are pedestal items. The Reichskrone stands out to me that it's a good unique crown that you can actually wear, unlike (almost) all those other crowns in the list :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I got Brave and Bold yesterday by simply stealing the artifacts.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Working on Lingua Franca right now, and I hold so many kingdom and empire titles I'm drowning in prestige. I also generate 30+ (!!!) piety per month from a bunch of sources and some powerful multipliers from court artifacts. I've taken to using my prestige to buy artifact claims, fight wars for them, keep the best for myself and distribute the extras among my dynast kingdoms so they generate more splendor for me to blow on legacies. I have broken this game over my knee so hard.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Neurion posted:

Working on Lingua Franca right now, and I hold so many kingdom and empire titles I'm drowning in prestige. I also generate 30+ (!!!) piety per month from a bunch of sources and some powerful multipliers from court artifacts. I've taken to using my prestige to buy artifact claims, fight wars for them, keep the best for myself and distribute the extras among my dynast kingdoms so they generate more splendor for me to blow on legacies. I have broken this game over my knee so hard.
Yeah I decided to load up my old game to continue this because it gets to be a slog - both in literal slowdown as well as handing out new counties/artifacts. So even if i take a bit at a time inbetween other games. However, I only own one Empire because I haven't gotten to Primo/Ultimo yet.

Turns out there's a rare event (A Relic In Hand) to combine two artifacts, so one of my purple pedestal items (Hindu adventure relic) is inside a blue weapon, making it a purp. It's not as good as my main weapon for prowess, but TBH what's the difference between 48 and 50 when you're fighting (or duelling) knights with 13?

In this game (currently at 1165) , the Muslims have taken France and I haven't seen the pope attempting to Holy War for it back. I wonder - since I own Jerusalem, will the Pope still try the Crusades on me, even if I (and my whole religion - Evil to them) will stomp them - 586 counties to Catholicism's 510? I checked and their Fervor is 98% so I can't see why he hasn't declared a Crusade on someone...

Also, By The Sword tradition is massively OP and I can only assume they'll nerf it next balance patch.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yeah I decided to load up my old game to continue this because it gets to be a slog - both in literal slowdown as well as handing out new counties/artifacts. So even if i take a bit at a time inbetween other games. However, I only own one Empire because I haven't gotten to Primo/Ultimo yet.

Turns out there's a rare event (A Relic In Hand) to combine two artifacts, so one of my purple pedestal items (Hindu adventure relic) is inside a blue weapon, making it a purp. It's not as good as my main weapon for prowess, but TBH what's the difference between 48 and 50 when you're fighting (or duelling) knights with 13?

In this game (currently at 1165) , the Muslims have taken France and I haven't seen the pope attempting to Holy War for it back. I wonder - since I own Jerusalem, will the Pope still try the Crusades on me, even if I (and my whole religion - Evil to them) will stomp them - 586 counties to Catholicism's 510? I checked and their Fervor is 98% so I can't see why he hasn't declared a Crusade on someone...

Also, By The Sword tradition is massively OP and I can only assume they'll nerf it next balance patch.

They will probably declare on Jerusalem, yes, it has the highest weight.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Man oh man, playing as Dyre the Stranger, created a Kingdom just for fun, knowing it would go to my son who exists at game start (who explicably does not join your dynasty when you become a bastard founder upon having your next kid), I'd take over as my second son, nbd. Figured I'd set him up strong as I intended to journey across the world and it didn't matter.

Then instantly upon succession that dude embraces local culture, flipping my culture and religion in the process without offering me a say in the matter. That is some bullllllshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

PancakeTransmission posted:

Something I've considered that may help with the inevitable slowdown for this achievement is the fact that a kingdom that doesn't exist is just as good as one that speaks your language. As long as exclave independence is turned off for the player it might be best to just blob until nobody can actually defeat you in war and then focus solely on destroying kingdoms instead of blobbing them. I've dismantled the papacy, so now the only potential external threat for me is the eventual rise of the mongols, which I feel I can deal with. So what I have in mind is to declare Kingdom level holy wars, usurp the title if it exists, destroy the title, hand out each individual county to one lowborn of my culture, then grant almost all of them independence, strategically keeping vassal counties that would put me in holy war range of my next target. Alternatively I could grant the kingdom title to a member of my dynasty and retain them as a vassal until all of the counties have converted to my religion (to discourage populist factions from undoing my work), then grant them independence to generate even more splendor. If the dynast's kingdom changes their court language away from my own, I can use my dynasty head position to claim the kingdom title, retake it in a war, then destroy and recreate the title to reset the court language, etc. It's pretty straightforward, just time consuming.

Also re: unwanted artifacts. I've taken to renaming trash I don't care about with a "zzz_" prefix so I can tell at a glance if it's trash when I get alerts about artifacts. I hand out court grandeur and splendor generating artifacts to dynast kingdoms and ignore all the chaff.