Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I have a weird love of outdated current affairs jokes, so I just want to say I'm loving these. They turn into a minor puzzle where you have to step back and try to decipher what the joke might've been.

Remember John Edwards, where joking that he might be gay was apparently a big part of the presidential campaign? Yeah, that sounds dumb as hell after a whole affair scandal cropped up a few years later, but you probably don't remember that super well either!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

Now, this is interesting. Does this kick off pug week, or wig week?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

davidspackage posted:

Now, this is interesting. Does this kick off pug week, or wig week?

My guess the answer is "Yes"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Iceberg lettuce is nobody's favorite.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

You know, I think I always assumed Toby was Ian's student at some point but I don't know if that's ever been established.

The Phantom

So Phantom's response to Mozz is just "Nuh-uh!"

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Rage quit x2

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

I AM GRANDO posted:

Bil was a cool guy as well. I think he gave consent to the existential family circus or whatever it was back in the 00s as well, a kind of pre-Garfield Without Garfield blessed by the creator.

Bil himself was cool with the Dysfunctional Family Circus site (though not with all the cussing) but either his lawyer or the syndicate lawyers put their foot down and were ready to argue that Internet weirdos writing their own captions under copyrighted art wasn't fair use.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

You know, I think I always assumed Toby was Ian's student at some point but I don't know if that's ever been established.
Wild that simply talking to your partner about your problem can yield positive results

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Charity and consequence (19/1937)

A stack of 1000 Mark bills; I've mentioned that it's tough to say exactly how much a Reichsmark is worth, but one bill would probably be roughly equivalent to $250.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 20, 2022

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

The_Other posted:

Solver Spring Special

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics
"Dunning-Kruger" effect, lol. And, appropriately, it's s***.

Great, Rivera is going to put in some educational material about comics being more that guys and gals with implausible physiques in tights. Which is true, but in Rivera's hands this is going to be stiff as a board.

Murdstone posted:

So Phantom's response to Mozz is just "Nuh-uh!"
We ARE going to get that story all over again, even if it does have a different ending. Noooo!!!! One year was too much already!

curtadams fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 20, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

please don't sw*ar

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

curtadams posted:

"Dunning-Kruger" effect, lol. And, appropriately, it's s***.,
it's the Voight-Kampff that concerns me

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Mister Sun

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

My Lovely Horse posted:

it's the Voight-Kampff that concerns me

Hey, at least it's more accurate than Myers-Briggs.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

howe_sam posted:

Hey, at least it's more accurate than Myers-Briggs.
And less eugenicist!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

catlord posted:

You forgot about a loving mountain, Jenny?

It's ridiculously poor flight planning to forget about a mountain on your route, but one of the nice things about planes is that they can turn around and fly in different directions. If there is a mountain on your route that you won't be able to climb over, you should turn around and fly some other direction.

Also, fun fact: the FAA has no problem with you dumping things out of your plane as long as it isn't obviously dangerous (explosives, poison, etc) and you make sure no people or property on the ground comes to harm. Want to toss a bag of flour into the desert? The FAA at least has no problem with it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

curtadams posted:

Great, Rivera is going to put in some educational material about comics being more that guys and gals with implausible physiques in tights. Which is true, but in Rivera's hands this is going to be stiff as a board.

Crossing my fingers for a strawman of a gatekeeper Jules met once. She's already sunken comfortably into most of her predecessors mistakes, I want my Juvenile Diabetes Yeti Man rubicon crossing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Crossing my fingers for a strawman of a gatekeeper Jules met once. She's already sunken comfortably into most of her predecessors mistakes, I want my Juvenile Diabetes Yeti Man rubicon crossing.

"BEWARE! This comic store is the domain of Lord Koomydins!"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Doomykins posted:

If history is any guide, we need her to get mad at Vargo somehow.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

That's a real Alice Otterloop lookin puppet at his feet there

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Pregnancy Life Adventure Comics

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Apparently she was a NYC street artist who picked up Ian while he was drunk. No, really.

Courtesy of the Comics Curmudgeon:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

[Sukiyaki is a hotpot-style meat and vegetable dish that is usually accompanied by a dipping-bowl of raw egg]

Another Nekonaughey already??

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The_Other posted:

Solver Spring Special

Those first two panels are great. Even the window and cabinet are bending with tension!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Night Visitors

I'm assuming everyone knows what wharf roaches are from Animal Crossing, but they're big-rear end isopods that live in rocky areas near the sea.

Monya the Grey

End of chapter 6!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "166 - Jucika Retires From Sport"

"167 - Jucika Congratulates"

An inside joke! "Published on Ludas Matyi, on the week of May 16th-22nd, 1960. (She congratulates the 15th anniversary of Ludas Matyi) Last panel translation: Deadline!"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

[sobbing] oh my god she's cutting off her creature comforts so she'll return home to be with him oh gosh my heart

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True April 29, 1919

And He Died! May 7, 1919

Cat Tales April 10, 1925

Oaky Doaks October 9, 1936

Mopsy December 17, 1937

Up Front March 27, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems June 28, 1952

Those Were the Days March 31, 1960

Wee Pals July 1, 1966

Dogbert March 22, 1967

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (October 27-29, 1921)

Toonerville Folks (January 23-25, 1919)

Dok's Dippy Potlatch Hangover (January 28, 1914)

So yeah, Jack Slater. Not a lot I was able to scrape up on him without getting out a shovel.

His "square deal token".

Little Lefty (May 28-31, 1936)

Blondie (From Zero), in which Our Heroine's roomie has really turned a corner. (December 3-5, 1931)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 21, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I continue to be deeply amused by the unanimously negative reaction Big Nate is getting. We're not stopping until the year is complete though! We're committed damnit! :argh:

Big Nate Year 1 (Mar 22-23, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jul 4, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 2-3, 1991)

No Blind Alley today

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Slammy posted:

Cat Tales April 10, 1925

This feels like a proto-Achewood

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Oh I don't mind you posting Big Nate at all lol. I love a dumb thing I can yell about as much as a cool thing I can yell about :allears:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Ha Ha Ha! Yes! Yes!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Bernice really did just say "kinky" in mah funny pages

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

she's also very clearly up for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Julet Esqu posted:

Bernice really did just say "kinky" in mah funny pages

If the DeGroot house is surrounded by busybody Mary Worth clones, that would help explain a few things.