Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Super No Vacancy posted:

cant keep pace with the tank and keep fighting while rolling on playstation, also whats the rush

Hit select to select the loot box while moving.

Or whatever the little left button is called nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Thundarr posted:

For summoner PvP, am I right to assume that Bahamut is for when the entire enemy team is sitting on the crystal and you want to instantly drop 30K potency on them, and Phoenix is for when your team is in trouble and you either need big heals or to neuter the damage of an incoming enemy LB?

Also the full gcd wait in the Ifrit combo between charging in and confirming the actual high damage hit seems incredibly dangerous for the job with the lowest hp.

Yeah but pumping out 20k potency from the combo and weaving in 6k potency from a Fester on people near or below 50% does a lot of damage. You can time your Megaflare/Akh Morn + Crimson Combo + Fester for asinine damage.

If you get jumped on, you can Guard, Heal, Sprint out, if someone chases you can bind them and LoS them.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/eenlx/status/1516460684451942403?s=21&t=fwXMNpMy0ag-ubytVl3K5Q

lol

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Not the first time even, they also copied the Shiva transformation scene

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

"Falling person rescued by flying thing" was a trope invented by FFXIV, yes.

Can we focus on the real crimes of Blizzard (full of rapists, breast milk thieves, anti-union, ludicrously evil, fanbase is exclusively bigots, transphobes and Nazis) and their dead game instead of the imagined ones?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't want to defend Blizz too much here but FFXIV did not invent a person falling off a building and a dragon swooping in and saving them

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

As much as I love to laugh at WoW like most FFXIV players, "flying creature rescues someone from a fall" isn't super original. The camera work is a bit similar, but I'll chalk this one up as a coincidence.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

even the twitter account says it's legit probably a coincidence because it's a very common thing in fantasy

it mostly just thinks it's funny that it's easy to get the timing to line up that well

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Expressionless stone man being rescued kinda changes the tone

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cleretic posted:

On the upside, now that the Carbuncle/Egis do nothing, the main barrier for egi glamors (that they couldn't change spell effects so any Ifrit replacement would have to use fire and so on) is gone. Maybe they're back on the table?

I know that you are talking about other primals/warring triad/auspices, but my deepest wish is to be able to replace the summons with the wind-up minions

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They should have copied FFX's version.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Quite frankly WoW should just be blatantly outright stealing stuff from FF

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

King Cohort posted:

"Falling person rescued by flying thing" was a trope invented by FFXIV, yes.

Can we focus on the real crimes of Blizzard (full of rapists, breast milk thieves, anti-union, ludicrously evil, fanbase is exclusively bigots, transphobes and Nazis) and their dead game instead of the imagined ones?

The FFXIV thread probably isn’t the best place to focus on Blizzard crimes, at the very least this is tangentially related to FFXIV, if only imagined.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Quite frankly WoW should just be blatantly outright stealing stuff from FF

it took them 9 years but they finally stole the ability to move HUD elements around on the UI without needing an addon

they're also stealing profession-specific gear and the ability to craft things with higher quality

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

2.0's redesign was mostly a copy-and-paste job of then-current WoW gameplay, so it's not a bad strategy for them to borrow back. Despite the sour opinion I have of the current WoW dev team, I want the MMO space to be more than just the single game I love and a handful of niche titles, and iteration and innovation on what's already there and working is the best way to open up the space for future development.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vermain posted:

2.0's redesign was mostly a copy-and-paste job of then-current WoW gameplay, so it's not a bad strategy for them to borrow back. Despite the sour opinion I have of the current WoW dev team, I want the MMO space to be more than just the single game I love and a handful of niche titles, and iteration and innovation on what's already there and working is the best way to open up the space for future development.

Bad news about the general direction of the MMO genre :razz:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Deep down everyone knows it's likely just a matter of time until Riot obliterates the MMO field with a modern engine.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Corbeau posted:

Deep down everyone knows it's likely just a matter of time until Riot obliterates the MMO field with a modern engine.

I've never been able to figure out why they seem to have infinite money, but Riot definitely has the capability to make a top tier MMO once they decide to actually do it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

I've never been able to figure out why they seem to have infinite money, but Riot definitely has the capability to make a top tier MMO once they decide to actually do it.

League generates close to $2B a year in revenue alone, and profits have only grown as they've expanded out into the lucrative Chinese and Korean mobile markets. They're also intimately connected with Silicon Valley and all its attendant hangers-on, so there's probably billions in VC money flowing into their coffers every year as well.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
MMOs are just too niche and difficult to develop compared to other gaas genres. Why spend a ton of money making an mmo when you can shovel out a gacha mobile game and have a higher income and lower costs? Especially when the mobile market is so big it can be split a million different ways and still be profitable, whereas MMOs have a crowded field relative to the market already

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

MMOs are just too niche and difficult to develop compared to other gaas genres. Why spend a ton of money making an mmo when you can shovel out a gacha mobile game and have a higher income and lower costs? Especially when the mobile market is so big it can be split a million different ways and still be profitable, whereas MMOs have a crowded field relative to the market already

It's this. You have a handful of banner names in the MMO genre: WoW, Final Fantasy, Guild Wars 2... and immeasurable amounts of shovelware. The established players have fanbases and brand recognition, and while Riot certainly has that, the opportunity cost of creating an MMO vs literally anything else is immense.

Honestly, Riot Airlines is probably a better investment than trying to crank out a new MMO. Did you notice that the three examples I provided were all made before 2013?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Thundarr posted:

They've been developing one for a year now and have been poaching narrative and dev talent from all over the industry for the last several years to make it happen. They make ungodly amounts of money on skins in LoL and Valorant.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Riot literally grabbed like, 3 big names from Blizzard themselves that people outright recognise (Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street most notably).

They're building an MMO, just like they bought an entire fighting game development team to build a Fighting Game.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I know we’re joking but the last thing the world needs is ghostcrawler working on another MMO

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RME posted:

I know we’re joking but the last thing the world needs is ghostcrawler working on another MMO

How come you think this way, because like. He's working for Riot, that is a thing that is happening. If it's the lawsuit thing he hasn't been actually implicated in anything but a single photo (as far as I'm aware and if I'm wrong I apologise). Otherwise he's working right now as Head of Creative Development at Riot (basically their work in progress games division) and they put out applications for MMO game development positions literally last year.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it sounds like theyre saying itll be bad

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If their MMO ends up being crap at least they can pump more money into their animation studio instead.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I've been playing mmorpgs since EQ and would love to see what a big studio can do with the genre now. GW2 was probably the last big one and that was 2012. I think riot can (and likely is attempting to) pull off a smooth evolution of the genre similar to EQ > WoW. There's a ton of potential with the runeterra ip, their art/cinematics teams, and competitive experience.

Also SMN continues to be so goddamn busted in frontlines. I just broke 3mill damage lol

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thundarr posted:

I've never been able to figure out why they seem to have infinite money

They're wholly owned and financed by Tencent.

(this is what made all the people who got real mad about Blizzard over the Blitzchung incident that went on to play League/Valorant/etc. real loving hypocritical but that's a whole other can of worms)

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

acumen posted:

Also SMN continues to be so goddamn busted in frontlines. I just broke 3mill damage lol

i love recreating the 7th umbral calamity in every frontlines match

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gnossiennes posted:

Speaking of I just did the Mikoshi quest and this is an incredible mount.

Wasshoi :namazu:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Speaking of I just did the Mikoshi quest and this is an incredible mount.

Wasshoi :namazu:

I want the gold one real bad. I'm sitting on about 17 million specifically to put towards dumb mounts.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Gnossiennes posted:

Yeah if you can time it right on a pile of low-hp opponents or with another LB, it's a ton of killing blows. I've gone from 0-55 BH in one cast.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

As much as I'm enjoying a 75% winrate in frontline with summoner abuse, I am looking forward to it getting nerfed so other jobs make sense to play. I feel like there should be a sign to tap in MMOs at this point about AOE abilities not having some kind of target cap

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I joined a Frontline where my group initially had 5 summoners but they switched off when they saw we had too many, I guess, leaving only me. There is no such thing as too many summoners. That would have been the most decisive stomp of all time.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

how to abuse summoner i dropped from silver 3 to bronze 3 straight last night

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I thought you couldn't go down to bronze again once you had reached silver?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
SMN is only really ridiculous in Frontline. For CC it's solid but not as likely to be nerfed as WAR/WHM/DRG/SAM.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Thundarr posted:

I thought you couldn't go down to bronze again once you had reached silver?

this is correct

acumen posted:

SMN is only really ridiculous in Frontline. For CC it's solid but not as likely to be nerfed as WAR/WHM/DRG/SAM.

this is also correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm hoping they'll be willing to do more frequent PVP tweaks in the interstitial patches. I'm obviously not expecting League levels of update frequency, but some balance adjustments every 1-1.5 months would be welcome.