Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It’s all he knows. He won’t stop. What else would he do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
He's managed another delay.
https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1516842900482662405
https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1516798686164103175

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
That's unfortunate

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Holy poo poo his head is round

Do you think he'll just croak soon? That's... not good. That's not a healthy shape for a head to morph into.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

A freakishly large head to match his neck.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Everett False posted:

A freakishly large head to match his neck.

And to withstand blows from exploding cinder blocks and lead pipes.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Grondoth posted:

Eatin' a lot of big bowls of chili so he doesn't have to remember facts

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Grondoth posted:

Do you think he'll just croak soon? That's... not good. That's not a healthy shape for a head to morph into.

I'm OK with it.

Then if he croaks, we can all say it was a false flag and the giant Charlie Brown head dude was a crisis actor.

gently caress him.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Alex is built like a 1980s high school football coach who dies of a massive heart attack while shoveling snow.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
"You hosed up your bankruptcy filing so badly that I'm forced to delay your trial" isn't exactly promising news from the judge

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Marsupial Ape posted:

Alex is built like a 1980s high school football coach who dies of a massive heart attack while shoveling snoweating chili.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1516937274654605312?t=DmnWm8dT-7KsuWqnSkufFw&s=19

:sickos:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Okay turning into a snitch seems like a weird move to try to justify to his audience

Like it seems turning traitor to other "patriots" to be the *only* thing his audience might not be able to handwave away

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

It will be like the bankruptcy thing. He will just say it is not happening and those are MSM lies.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

This is probably just another tactic to delay things, there is no reason to expect him to either actually say anything useful or that anything he says can be trusted to be truthful, he just doesn't want to be interviewed

Piell fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 21, 2022

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Froghammer posted:

"You hosed up your bankruptcy filing so badly that I'm forced to delay your trial" isn't exactly promising news from the judge

I think it's a provision of these laws that in the case of a bankruptcy, all civil action is stayed until the bankruptcy is resolved (or the bankruptcy court decides otherwise.) The judge's hands were tied. But it's pretty clear that the court believes this was just another delaying tactic and isn't too happy about having to play this game again.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I’m done trying to interpret or predict the actions of a coke addicted narcissist psychopath. No telling what weird gambit he thinks he’s playing. Maybe he’s hoping he’ll get payed hush money.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ashpanash posted:

I think it's a provision of these laws that in the case of a bankruptcy, all civil action is stayed until the bankruptcy is resolved (or the bankruptcy court decides otherwise.) The judge's hands were tied. But it's pretty clear that the court believes this was just another delaying tactic and isn't too happy about having to play this game again.

The bankruptcy is for Infowars, LLC and two other corporate entities where the sandy hook parents are listed as creditos. The parents dropped Infowars from the suit the moment they declared bankruptcy to prevent disruption to the case. Jones' lawyers filed a removal to the federal court for bankruptcy even though no defendant is currently a part of the bankruptcy proceeding. The state court action is automatically stayed until the federal court issues an order to remand.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Yeah it's just another delaying tactic
https://twitter.com/eliehonig/status/1516934721900531722

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

I just started listening to this via the Formulaic Objections episodes and holy poo poo this is insane/funny. Roger Stone's old man lawyer bickering in #401 killed me.

Also if Alex does manage to gently caress off with his hidden Cayman money and/or gets pardoned by the 47th president Donald Trump, there's a very good chance every incel toadie that has ever worked for him gets abandoned by their Angry Drunk Conspiracy Dad and thrown to the wolves, so there's that at least.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Piell posted:

This is probably just another tactic to delay things, there is no reason to expect him to either actually say anything useful or that anything he says can be trusted to be truthful, he just doesn't want to be interviewed

I tend to agree with Dan's take that no one who did something incriminating was stupid enough to share their plans in advance with Alex Jones, who would almost certainly have been unable to contain himself from broadcasting them.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think Alex thinks that the protection from prosecution will apply to his civil cases. It just seems very inline with how his broke brain thinks the world works in that if you're working for the Feds, you're untouchable.

I don't think Jones knew much in advance because he was very clearly shaken and worried about the ramifications of what happened. It could be possible that he didn't think it would fail but I think it's mainly the fact he's a crazy coward, like most bullies, and wanted to just speak to an energized crowd and not do a pathetic coup attempt.

EDIT:

This also after he said that Donald Trump had asked him personally to lead this rally and that it was all him.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I think Alex thinks that the protection from prosecution will apply to his civil cases. It just seems very inline with how his broke brain thinks the world works in that if you're working for the Feds, you're untouchable.

I don't think Jones knew much in advance because he was very clearly shaken and worried about the ramifications of what happened. It could be possible that he didn't think it would fail but I think it's mainly the fact he's a crazy coward, like most bullies, and wanted to just speak to an energized crowd and not do a pathetic coup attempt.

EDIT:

This also after he said that Donald Trump had asked him personally to lead this rally and that it was all him.

Yeah he was clearly in a panicked mode of "you're just supposed to listen and cheer me on for calling for revolution over the stolen election you aren't actually supposed to do anything" as opposed to Owen Shroyer who was loving loving it

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/Kolyin/status/1517246016034160640

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Goddam, tonight is going to be a good episode.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
It might be a bit late to make it onto tonight's episode. Maybe Monday's.

I'm reading the Department of Justice document on the matter, and I'm torn. There seems to be the simultaneous reading of "Alex Jones should not be using the bankruptcy code and we should not hear this case," versus "we should not be hearing this case on an emergency basis." The first reading is the one we're hoping for, but the second reading is liable to cause even more delays to the trails.

Bloomberg News Wire posted:

(Bloomberg) -- An arm of the U.S. Justice Department cast doubt on far-right radio host Alex Jones’s use of bankruptcy as three companies he once owned prepare for their first day in court Friday.

The DOJ’s bankruptcy watchdog, known as the U.S. Trustee, said the companies’ Chapter 11 filing “raises numerous questions — the answers to which may demonstrate these cases are an abuse of the bankruptcy system,” according to court papers filed Thursday. The U.S. Trustee urged a federal judge in Texas to reject a request to appoint former judges to oversee a proposed victim compensation fund.

Three small entities Jones once owned are seeking to use bankruptcy to set up a trust to pay damages that may be won in court by relatives of children killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre. The relatives of Sandy Hook victims won key court rulings in Connecticut and Texas against Jones after he called the shootings a hoax, and future trials will determine the size of the damages.

“This Motion to appoint the trustees for the Litigation Settlement Trust seems to be just the first step for Debtors to carry out Jones’s and FSS’s scheme of avoiding the burdens of bankruptcy while reaping its benefits,” the U.S. Trustee added in court papers.

The three units, including one that holds the rights to website Infowars, sought court protection in Victoria, Texas on Sunday. Chapter 11 filings allow a business to keep operating while working on a turnaround plan and pause pending civil litigation. Jones’ main holding company, Free Speech Systems LLC, didn’t file for bankruptcy.

In the Infowars bankruptcy, lawyers set up a trust that would pay people suing the companies, and Jones handed over his equity in the entities to the trust. The units in bankruptcy “have no purpose other than to hold assets which may be used by other entities” and their only liabilities are the litigation claims, according to court papers.

By establishing a trust to settle legal claims in bankruptcy, Jones’s companies are following a controversial playbook used by other corporations facing significant lawsuits. Companies including opioid maker Purdue Pharma LP and youth organization Boy Scouts of America have sought Chapter 11 protection to settle thousands of cases and streamline payouts to victims claiming harm.

Jones put $725,000 of his own money into the trust to cover the costs of the Chapter 11 filings. Additional funds, including $2 million cash, could flow into the trust as a result of the bankruptcy, according to court papers.

Should a judge approve the trusts, two former bankruptcy judges -- Russell F. Nelms and Richard S. Schmidt -- are overseeing the fund. The U.S. Trustee argues that it’s too early in the case to appoint Nelms and Schmidt or to approve the trust.

Lawyers representing Jones and his businesses have said the Texas defamation lawsuit was strategically filed to silence their free speech on matters of public interest. They did not immediately return a call for comment about the U.S. Trustee’s filing.

Judges in Connecticut and Texas issued default judgments against Jones after he failed to turn over documents including financial information. Lawyers representing Jones have argued the plaintiffs’ probe into the financial ties between Jones and his various entities is akin to a “collections action” and a “fishing expedition.”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Jones’ lawyer admitted in a WSJ article that they’re using the bankruptcy proceeding because the Sandy Hook families keep turning down their settlement offers.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I know Alex can't help himself, but his lawyer should probably know enough to keep his mouth shut

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Shinji2015 posted:

I know Alex can't help himself, but his lawyer should probably know enough to keep his mouth shut

Here's the quote:

quote:

Mr. Jones’s lawyer, Norm Pattis, said Wednesday that they have tried to settle the case “on reasonable terms” and that Sandy Hook families “persist in trying to destroy Alex and his companies.”

“We’re turning to the bankruptcy courts to compel the plaintiffs to estimate the value of their claims in open court by discernible evidentiary standards,” Mr. Pattis said. “The plaintiffs have turned this litigation into a macabre morality play and have refused to negotiate in good faith. We hope they will show respect to the federal courts.”

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

quote:

“We’re turning to the bankruptcy courts to compel the plaintiffs to estimate the value of their claims in open court by discernible evidentiary standards,” Mr. Pattis said. “The plaintiffs have turned this litigation into a macabre morality play and have refused to negotiate in good faith. We hope they will show respect to the federal courts.”

Translation: because we're loving up the damages phase discovery so badly that we're being sanctioned, maybe we can get a do-over

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Jones' lawyer claiming the plaintiffs have been disrespectful to the courts is rich

Also hell yeah chaos magick episode! The two crazy people seem nice

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There's a hearing happening right now in the bankruptcy court.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's a hearing happening right now in the bankruptcy court.

link? or no audio?

livetweets also good

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

KitConstantine posted:

link? or no audio?

livetweets also good

https://twitter.com/Kolyin/status/1517505729187483648?s=20&t=H7dqdIGFW5jaMyn6laWidw

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

:tipshat:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KitConstantine posted:

link? or no audio?

livetweets also good

I'm dialed in. Jones' attorney was just throwing a fit because they've got $10m on the table for everyone to split evenly and he's flummoxed that people could possibly complain about that!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Here's the long and short of it - judge is skeptical about whether the businesses in front of him are actually validly there. Creditors are all going to file motions to dismiss and remand. There a status conference in one week. It will probably be more substantive than today.

Jones' lawyer continues to say they're using the bankruptcy process to try to force settlement.

The settlement offer is $9.8m over the next five years split among everyone suing Jones.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Froghammer posted:

Jones' lawyer claiming the plaintiffs have been disrespectful to the courts is rich

Also hell yeah chaos magick episode! The two crazy people seem nice

They’re anti-vaxxers, but I feel like anybody that says “pray the gay away is black magic” can at least be engaged with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here's the long and short of it - judge is skeptical about whether the businesses in front of him are actually validly there. Creditors are all going to file motions to dismiss and remand. There a status conference in one week. It will probably be more substantive than today.

Jones' lawyer continues to say they're using the bankruptcy process to try to force settlement.

The settlement offer is $9.8m over the next five years split among everyone suing Jones.
What part of "we are trying to bankrupt you over the lies you told" is he not understanding, exactly