Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
The runs are absolutely a large part of what makes him special, if for no other reason than his biggest negative has consistently been dropped passes. Really bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DeimosRising posted:

those catches were of a completely different type. look at their average depth of catch and air yards

Yea, Deebo is a YAC machine, there are still plenty of teams in the league that could get a ton of use out of a guy with the ability to take a relatively easy intermediate throw from the QB and double the yardage. You don’t get to 18 yards per reception by accident.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wonder if deebo is doing the math on average lifespan of an RB vs. a WR and despite his high value being in the combo wombo he brings, maybe he just wants to reduce the physical contact regardless. Adding ten more years to a career might be worth more than adding ten million a year more to his next 4-year contract.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Coldforge posted:

According to some of the Athletic reports, Deebo, AJ and DK all share the same agent, and part of the issue is that the agent is pushing hard to get Deebo signed first to set a floor for the other two.

Leperflesh posted:

I wonder if deebo is doing the math on average lifespan of an RB vs. a WR and despite his high value being in the combo wombo he brings, maybe he just wants to reduce the physical contact regardless. Adding ten more years to a career might be worth more than adding ten million a year more to his next 4-year contract.

I think these two reasons for why Deebo wants out makes the most sense. He's listening to his agent about his value as a WR and WR's have longer careers by far.

Sucks that the Niners are probably going to lose their best receiver, but go out and get paid Deebo. :unsmith:

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
What is his trade value? On one hand teams know he wants to leave, but on the other hand they still need to outbid each other to actually end up with him.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yea, Deebo is a YAC machine, there are still plenty of teams in the league that could get a ton of use out of a guy with the ability to take a relatively easy intermediate throw from the QB and double the yardage. You don’t get to 18 yards per reception by accident.

i'm not saying you do, he's a great player and the niners are likely to be dramatically worse without him (in fact if he does go, combined with starting a rookie qb, i doubt they make the playoffs). But he's not the same kind of player as those WRs, and i don't think he would be nearly as remarkable playing a more traditional wr role. he doesn't have great hands, he's small, he's probably not going to bring as much value to another team as the niners are losing. but i hope he's happier and gets paid, you only live once

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DeimosRising posted:

he doesn't have great hands, he's small, he's probably not going to bring as much value to another team as the niners are losing. but i hope he's happier and gets paid, you only live once

He and Chase are within an inch of each other and Deebo has like 15 pounds on him. I wouldn’t say he’s small. Most stud WRs these days are in the 6’ range.

And yes, he’s a different type of player, but for a team that doesn’t have Rodgers or Burrow back there that may be a good thing. Not every offense is predicated on big shots downfield. Obviously he’s less valuable if he doesn’t want to take a bunch of RB snaps but he’s still worth a first rounder just based on what he can do at WR.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1516889052057944064

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
If the rumors are true and Deebo doesn’t want to be involved with the run game then I understand where he’s coming from but that also makes him less valuable to the 49ers and I understand the sentiment that in that case someone doesn’t think he’s worth a mega deal.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Dutchy posted:

This sucks, Deebo was quickly becoming an all-time favorite Niner for me

Yeah I don't like this one bit. Deebo owns so hard, he's one of the most unique players in the league and his pairing with Shanahan and the 49ers is just about as perfect as it gets. Of course he'll be great on another team but not nearly AS great, in my personal opinion. Him and the 49ers are a scheme match made in heaven.

Still holding out hope that this is still more negotiating tactic than truly wanting out of the team, but that's starting to look less like reality.

If I'm the 49ers, I pay the man what he wants . The team loses an enormous percentage of offense if they lose him and especially if they are planning to start Lance, they will need what he can do.

DeimosRising posted:

those catches were of a completely different type. look at their average depth of catch and air yards

If anything that makes him more valuable not less. He produces a similar amount while not relying on the quarterback making difficult throws.

Rad Valtar posted:

If the rumors are true and Deebo doesn’t want to be involved with the run game then I understand where he’s coming from but that also makes him less valuable to the 49ers and I understand the sentiment that in that case someone doesn’t think he’s worth a mega deal.

I would just agree to not involve him in the run game and just change his runs to screens or even cheeky little sweep forward passes that are still runs in all but name. I actually kind of agree that he might be a little too valuable to put in the backfield. The 49ers just need some better running backs, despite their ability to find decent late round guys I'm not a huge Elijah Mitchell fan and I think they need better.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
https://twitter.com/19problemz/status/1516904350869856263

Welp

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

deleted

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Deleted social media posts? Where have we seen that before.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Tbh, he was only moved to the RB position because the 49ers had no other RBs. Sure he became really excellent at it, but I'm confused by Deebo and/or the 49ers assuming you're going to use him at the same rate when you have a healthy Elijah Mitchell

Deleted already

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Coldforge posted:

Deleted social media posts? Where have we seen that before.

What did it say?

Edit: \/ thanks

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 21, 2022

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm confused

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 21, 2022

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

In all this mess, Deebo, as a niner, would see tons more sideline routes with Trey. Of course, that's after establishing the run.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

He's already referring to himself in the third person, I'm afraid that means the condition is progressing too rapidly; all hope is lost

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I’ve come around on the social media thing now that he has liked reporters’ tweets, then called out reporters’ tweets in a tweet, and finally deleted that tweet all in the same day.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I have no idea what’s happening and will now close my eyes and plug my ears until week 1.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Play posted:

If anything that makes him more valuable not less. He produces a similar amount while not relying on the quarterback making difficult throws..

Maybe I’m being unclear. We have very little information and are mostly speculating. If it’s true he’s unhappy with his role, I assume that’s not just that he doesn’t want to take occasional RB snaps, but doesn’t want to be used in those run in all but name plays either. If that’s the case, if he wants be a traditional wr/slot guy, he’s a lot less valuable. If the problem is really just 90 odd backfield snaps, I can’t imagine that would create this kind of major rift.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Growing chatter about the Texans being in on Deebo. They have picks 3 and 13 so if there's a trade it'll probably happen this week. I imagine SF would much rather trade with the Texans than an NFC team.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Watch we get this and loving John blows it by drafting a goddamn defensive player again. :v:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

Maybe I’m being unclear. We have very little information and are mostly speculating. If it’s true he’s unhappy with his role, I assume that’s not just that he doesn’t want to take occasional RB snaps, but doesn’t want to be used in those run in all but name plays either. If that’s the case, if he wants be a traditional wr/slot guy, he’s a lot less valuable. If the problem is really just 90 odd backfield snaps, I can’t imagine that would create this kind of major rift.

FWIW the Niners' beat reporters do not think it's about role. Maiocco for example is saying that Deebo wasn't at all unhappy with the way he was used last year, from his conversations with him at the end of the playoffs.

They also don't think it's about money, and could be something as simple as Deebo doesn't want to be on the West Coast anymore.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Papercut posted:

FWIW the Niners' beat reporters do not think it's about role. Maiocco for example is saying that Deebo wasn't at all unhappy with the way he was used last year, from his conversations with him at the end of the playoffs.

They also don't think it's about money, and could be something as simple as Deebo doesn't want to be on the West Coast anymore.

Whatever else it may or may not be about, it's also about money.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Coldforge posted:

Yeah unless they offer him the bank and he turns it down it’s fair to assume money is an issue, you just can’t say that

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/1517580444639776768

very excited to see them take a third-round ILB with #9

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Spoeank posted:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/1517580444639776768

very excited to see them take a third-round ILB with #9

They’re gonna draft a fullback.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

ken walker the third at nine overall what a workhourse

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
My actual facepalm prediction is trying to trade back from 9, failing, and taking Penning.

Who even knows what they'll do though

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1517487522112323585?s=20&t=KN-Z9Ilz2K18Onip01CT0g

Earl Thomas sign with the Rams

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

It’s already been that long since Thomas has played in the nfl?

Time, man…

Play
Apr 25, 2006

shocked he's only 33 what the hell

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Coldforge posted:

Well to expand, what Maiocco said is that the Niners are willing to pay him like a top receiver, but that one issue may be that Deebo wants the extension to kick in this season instead of next year

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

I don’t think the Rams are that dumb but one can hope

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Papercut posted:

Well to expand, what Maiocco said is that the Niners are willing to pay him like a top receiver, but that one issue may be that Deebo wants the extension to kick in this season instead of next year

Which says absolutely nothing, though. Maiocco's great, but it's still a bunch of "like a top reciever" and "may be that" speculation best guesses. Both those things are about money, whatever the truth may be.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

It'll never happen.

Wikipedia posted:

On August 21, 2020, Thomas and fellow safety Chuck Clark got into an altercation during practice after Thomas missed a coverage that allowed Mark Andrews to score a long touchdown. Thomas then punched Clark and was sent home. After the Ravens advised Thomas not to come to practice on August 22, they released him the next day for conduct detrimental to the team–or, as the team put it, "personal conduct that has adversely affected the Baltimore Ravens". His release came after players told coach John Harbaugh and general manager Eric DeCosta that they did not want Thomas back on the team. Harbaugh consulted the team's "Leadership Council" of veteran players, and only one of them wanted Thomas to return. No other team signed him during the season.

According to an article by The Athletic, even though Thomas had made seven of the last nine Pro Bowls, he had developed a reputation for being "uncoachable." According to a number of his former Seahawks teammates and coaches, the Seahawks had been able to manage the situation until 2017, when Chancellor suffered a career-ending neck injury (he did not play at all in 2018 and retired the following spring) and Sherman had his season prematurely ended by a ruptured Achilles tendon. In what proved to be a warning sign, Thomas put out feelers to the Cowboys, which was dismissed at the time as "Earl being Earl." By 2018, he frequently refused to practice, ostensibly to protect his value in free agency.

While in Baltimore, Thomas never really became a part of the Ravens' locker-room culture. He was often fined for skipping meetings or showing up late, and left the team on his own at least twice. During the 2020 preseason, Thomas became increasingly surly and withdrawn, frequently skipping meetings and walk-throughs. The altercation with Clark happened in part because Clark believed Thomas would not have blown the coverage had he taken part in walk-throughs. According to The Athletic, Thomas' reputation for being uncoachable and a poor teammate was a mere reason why no other team picked him up after the Ravens released him. Reportedly, the Houston Texans were thinking about signing him, but decided against it after several players were letting it be known that they did not want him on the team.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
From what I read, Earl Thomas has always been insane but there was so much talent around him in Seattle in the legion of boom that he could more or less do what he wanted. When he moved to Boston he didn't have that safety blanket and just fell apart.

Also, lol that orgy thing with his brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Main thing I remember from his last year was him talking smack about stopping Derrick Henry and then Henry just stiff arming him around like a little child and barely getting slowed up