Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Doomykins posted:

That's hilarious because I welcome the current spawns as a free money press. Even ARing every battle on VH. :clint:

I wonder what the odds are that more code is fast and loose regarding AI aggression vs the player.

They've pretty obviously outsourced portions of the content/game development and their process for merging and QAing all of it is not in a great place. This is also the likely cause of the large amount of time its taking them to shift gears to fix poo poo instead of just going straight at IE and DLC. Modern AAA development is hell.

Edit: Lol lol, at least they realize they've really dropped the ball here https://www.creative-assembly.com/careers/view/development-manager-total-war-franchise/o93hjfww

TaintedBalance fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

kanonvandekempen posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2794438990

According to this mod's author, the Kurgan warband mechanic as cathay is currently not working as intended and spawning way too often. Apparently because a developper forgot to edit out some code. The mod is a fix.

From the examples provided, this doesn't really scan as "not working as intended" at all. Rather this looks like originally they experimented with ways to shut down the Kurgan warband, and wrote some code setting conditions where the Kurgan Warband would spawn and attack and other conditions where the Kurgans would be shut down, and then decided that shutting down the Kurgan spawn was undesirable, thus just forcing the condition in the existing code without bothering to rewrite the script to eliminate the condition.

Having just wrapped up a Cathay campaign as Miao Ying a few days ago, the Kurgan Warband was almost a complete non-issue for the entire game - for the first 60 turns, the only management that was necessary was making sure to actually claim Snake Gate early to plug the gaps, and once or twice throwing an army to relieve the AI-controlled gates from sieges - not terribly difficult to do when you can park armies on your own gate(s) for huge reductions in upkeep. What the Kurgan Warband actually did was made it a tremendous pain in the rear end to take and hold the wastes outside the gate - the combination of chaos wastes terrain and uninhabitable climate and complete corruption requires extraordinary measures.

Frankly, Miao Ying has one of if not the easiest strategic situations in the game, and arguably reducing the Kurgan Warband spawns might make it harder, because then the reduced upkeep armies you have sitting on the Great Bastion aren't paying for themselves with an infinite supply of marauders and you have less free money and free lord/hero XP to dedicate to unreasonably inflating your strength score and doing ill-advised expansions.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

Olesh posted:

From the examples provided, this doesn't really scan as "not working as intended" at all. Rather this looks like originally they experimented with ways to shut down the Kurgan warband, and wrote some code setting conditions where the Kurgan Warband would spawn and attack and other conditions where the Kurgans would be shut down, and then decided that shutting down the Kurgan spawn was undesirable, thus just forcing the condition in the existing code without bothering to rewrite the script to eliminate the condition.

Your other points are fine, and I think they actually point to the above being wrong. I think they WERE trying to balance it out/make it work, and just ran out of time. Or someone checked in the wrong script and it never got fully caught/they said "gently caress it, ship it live" because even the smoke tests for a project of this scope and complexity has to be a loving nightmare. On the list of issues negatively effecting the game, the way the Kurgan Warbands currently work is probably in the "we'll fix it when we come back to expand on the mechanics for a DLC" column.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I watched the semi+finals of Turin's latest tournament and Nurgle seems to be in a good spot, winning I think three of the five games they were taken in. Slow, and requiring a lot of foresight, but inexorable.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mordja posted:

I watched the semi+finals of Turin's latest tournament and Nurgle seems to be in a good spot, winning I think three of the five games they were taken in. Slow, and requiring a lot of foresight, but inexorable.

They seem to be pretty decent in Domination mode now that Ogres aren't so op, land battles are definetly harder for the papa Nurgle boys though.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah i couldn't imagine my cathay campaign without those free money bags, just ambush an army behind the gate and they'll rush it thinking they can burst through. The cathay economy is pretty loving terrible and good luck winning any sieges outside of auto resolve unless you got artillery.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Arghy posted:

Yeah i couldn't imagine my cathay campaign without those free money bags, just ambush an army behind the gate and they'll rush it thinking they can burst through. The cathay economy is pretty loving terrible and good luck winning any sieges outside of auto resolve unless you got artillery.

:confused:

This part doesn't make sense to me, because well before turn 50 I was easily sitting on 10k/turn gold income, before factoring in additional income from battles and caravans. Eventually I had nothing to spend money on besides bribing the ogres into turning on Goldtooth and hiring more armies for extremely ill-advised ventures to conquer the Chaos Wastes.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah, I'm not sure what you mean. I think the Cathay economy is very good. I mean, your growth building can give you money if you want, you can stack buildings that increase faction-wide trade% or just province income, their troops are inexpensive, etc.. Then you get to throw caravans on top of that.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Arghy stop buying candles

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Arghy stop paying excessive tributes to the Dawi

FTFY

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I haven't played them since the second week of launch so they might have gotten better but when i played them i couldn't afford a second army until like turn 50. Once i bought that army i had to sit in my upkeep reduction gate for multiple turns to afford sending it out haha.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Caravans make stupid amounts of money, provided you manage to keep them alive. Combined with trade and Cathay itself being large, their economy is actually pretty drat good.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Need to be a way to buff/train them up more if you lose caravans. Feels like either lose zero and my caravans become Gods or they die and I can no longer send caravans ever. Ogres are absolute jerks about caravans too. I'll have alliances with them all and this is actually a bad thing because then they set up along the entire route. In hindsight I probably should have expected that.

Then portals to hell crank it up to 11.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Arghy stop buying candles

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Arghy stop buying candles and use a flamethrower like your ancestors did

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cathay has never had bad economy? Plus in terms of stacks you can recruit a pile of level 6 peasants very easily, which are pretty good against most things and cheap.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Look, a man has certain expenses

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Officially no news again this week, gj everyone.

I didn't add the Futurama meme to this, but here's the message from the Discord. Waiting until Thursday two weeks in a row to say nothing's coming is a pretty solid troll move I guess?

They really aren't doing their new community manager(s?) any favors by continuing to leave them out to dry like this.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 21, 2022

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

CA posted:

In meantime we should definitely explore idea from another week with magic 8 ball
What?:confused:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

People in the comments are saying Pingu's a non-native English speaker, which could explain that, but would also raise other questions. :shrug:

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Is it ethical for CA to have a penguin working on their game?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
As long as he can work from home I don't see an issue

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

CA really just casually leaving their new CMs out to dry here.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

Eastbound Spider posted:

Is it ethical for CA to have a penguin working on their game?

Outlook not so good

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gonkish posted:

CA really just casually leaving their new CMs out to dry here.

I just want to pat him on the shoulder and tell him to go home already.
Maybe it's an uncharitable read, but all the "We're working on that roadmap. Promise." posts the CA people have been doing of reminds me of my own crappy excuses I say to my boss when a project is already due and I haven't even started on it yet.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I don't know why anyone cares so much about something as petty as a roadmap. Now that mods are out and the patch has cleared up a lot of issues the game is fine as it is, you can turn off the soul mechanic if you don't like it. The community seems to have just dug itself into a toxic hole. I'd suggest it's the work of Nurgle but he's supposed to be a happy guy....

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah. It seems to me that the CMs are reading the room and know that people are getting frustrated with the radio silence... but they also haven't been given anything to work with from the rest of the company. So they're kind of floundering in an attempt to do their job (in this case, quelling the mob) while devs continue doing their thing.

I'm sure CA has something like a roadmap plotted out already, but CMs are really far down on the proverbial totem pole and they definitely aren't the ones signing off on releasing info. So they're likely in a terrible position and can't do much of anything other than whatever this is.

It's weird because both Grace and Simone seemed to have a really good handle on how to handle stuff.

It doesn't help that the community absolutely loves to dig itself into a poo poo-fueled rage and then stay there. At this point I don't think they'll ever come out of it until IE drops and they get lost in that for a few weeks.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

lets get Arghy as cm

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The thing that gets me is even in WH2, patches took a long while to come out. Do people want a roadmap as "proof" that CA won't abandon the game or something

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Dandywalken posted:

lets get Arghy as cm

Next patch notes: "Grimgrog is a butt and smells like cheese."

toasterwarrior posted:

The thing that gets me is even in WH2, patches took a long while to come out. Do people want a roadmap as "proof" that CA won't abandon the game or something

Reddit seems to have convinced itself that WH3 is obviously getting "ThreeKingdom-ed"... for some reason.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 21, 2022

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

lets get Arghy as cm

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

chaos dwarfs cut only the hats will make it in sorry

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The roadmap obsession is a self inflicted problem by CA in that they created the expectation in the first place, and they must have some sort of idea about the current status of what they're working on post-patch but are choosng not to share despite community anger, but even without the bait and switch roadmap thing players would understandably want to have some idea of when IE is going to come out. I'm more and more inclined to think they either barely worked on it at all before release, meaning it's going to take a long time to come out, or that what they had was bad and they know they have to redo it (or at least that version control issues turned out to be real again), with a similar outcome.

I still think whatever's going on they're better off ripping off the bandaid by being forthcoming than hiding behind silence while the community gets angry anyway, and that they're putting their community managers in a terribly unfair position by leaving them with nothing to say, but maybe they've talked themselves into hoping everyone will be happy whenever they do a big relaunch for IE regardless of how bad things get before then, idk.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Gonkish posted:

Next patch notes: "Grimgrog is a butt and smells like cheese."

Reddit seems to have convinced itself that WH3 is obviously getting "ThreeKingdom-ed"... for some reason.

ThreeKindom-ed meaning...supported for two years with 10 DLCs?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

The roadmap obsession is a self inflicted problem by CA in that they created the expectation in the first place, and they must have some sort of idea about the current status of what they're working on post-patch but are choosng not to share despite community anger, but even without the bait and switch roadmap thing players would understandably want to have some idea of when IE is going to come out. I'm more and more inclined to think they either barely worked on it at all before release, meaning it's going to take a long time to come out, or that what they had was bad and they know they have to redo it (or at least that version control issues turned out to be real again), with a similar outcome.

I still think whatever's going on they're better off ripping off the bandaid by being forthcoming than hiding behind silence while the community gets angry anyway, and that they're putting their community managers in a terribly unfair position by leaving them with nothing to say, but maybe they've talked themselves into hoping everyone will be happy whenever they do a big relaunch for IE regardless of how bad things get before then, idk.

Yeah i want the road map because i want to know how long IE is gonna take--is it at least 6 months away? If so you bet i'm gonna abandon your lovely half finished game for 6 months and not touch any DLC you dare to release. It's better to know hey don't even bother checking up on us for half a year than hoping for a slim chance every week that there will be an update. Yes it's gonna suck to have the majority of your player base abandoning your game for months but this shouldn't be a surprise--no one bought TW3 for that loving half rear end campaign they bought it for IE just like how no one bought TW2 for vortex they bought it for ME.

I'd get fired so quickly as CM because if i wasn't given info i'd just start wildly speculating with all the fans until i got info.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

ZeusJupitar posted:

If you ask on Reddit, 3K was abandoned because they never released the "promised" (read: hinted at) Xiongnu expansion. People expect WH3 to get 5-7 years of content and are concerned it will have either a significantly lowered lifespan due to bad sales/word of mouth or be outright cancelled before IE comes out so CA can start working on the next historical game and leave the controversy behind.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ZeusJupitar posted:

There's a pretty much unbreakable headcanon in the Total War community about how because 3K didn't get 5 years of continuing DLC support like TWW2, it actually just got shoved out the door and completely forgotten like Thrones of Britannia.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Azran posted:

If you ask on Reddit, 3K was abandoned because they never released the "promised" (read: hinted at) Xiongnu expansion. People expect WH3 to get 5-7 years of content and are concerned it will have either a significantly lowered lifespan due to bad sales/word of mouth or be outright cancelled before IE comes out so CA can start working on the next historical game and leave the controversy behind.

I think the hints were heavy enough that players had reason to be disappointed, but yeah of course the conspiracy thinking it generated about WH3 is pretty ridiculous. I think players going in thinking this game was absolutely going to be supported as long as WH2 were maybe being a little optimistic, especially if the game doesn't ultimately maintain sales the way WH2 did, but I think every faction (except maybe Undivided) is guaranteed to get a DLC lord, some DLC units, and regiments of renown, in addition to Chaos Dwarfs, at a bare minimum just to complete the game so players don't lose faith in future releases. I think some kind of Empire, VC (Neferata), Skaven (Thanquol) and probably Dwarf starts are all but guaranteed too, and it would take a huge ongoing sales flop not to get them. I'm sure other players have different "must have" priorities, but to me that's basically an acceptable level of content releases where it'll be good enough that I won't be too upset if they move on, though of course (assuming IE and ideally even new campaign goals on the main map are fun and I'm enjoying playing the game) more will be welcome.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ZeusJupitar posted:

And when they discontinued it they announced that they were doing it so they could make a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Warhammer creating a multi game series that feeds content into one game after the other kind of broke expectations for Three Kingdoms. It was never going to FEEL like it got the same support because Warhammer got DLC for two games but everyones brain turned that into a single game. That plus the overall game industry trend to push GAMES AS A SERVICE THAT LIVE FOREVERRRR has slowly infiltrated everyone's expectations.

Plus the 3k DLC was truly bizarre. The first DLC was for a period of time hundreds of years in the future where all the main characters from the game are dead. No one wanted it, and it set a bad tone right off the bat.Then all the future DLC began straining the limits of the engine in all sorts of ways as they attempted to go very story heavy with tons of scripting, which has never worked very well in TW games. And all the DLC's best features were included in free patches, so you didn't even need to buy the DLC. It was seriously like opposite day every time CA made a decision for 3k DLC. They clearly put tons of effort into the DLCs but it didn't show (aka work right) and I'm sure the DLC sales were very poor and that's why they pulled the plug.

Ironically they could have put out an infinite number of low effort art only DLCs that just added more unique characters and they could have sold that poo poo for 10 years.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 22, 2022