Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
As far as I know, the modern Doom ports use Unity for the same reason that Chocolate Doom uses SDL: to implement the platform-specific aspects of the game engine across all the supported platforms (plus I think some other misc stuff like implementing the credits sequence and maybe the new menu UI). The actual underlying engine is still a modern branch of the original Doom code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

If Atlus can load half the SMT Nocturne disc as a huge loving IL2CP blob in Unity, the sky is the limit!

jeezus, suddenly holding onto my original copy of STARRING DANTE FROM DEVIL MAY CRY does not sound like a bad idea at all

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Volte posted:

As far as I know, the modern Doom ports use Unity for the same reason that Chocolate Doom uses SDL: to implement the platform-specific aspects of the game engine across all the supported platforms (plus I think some other misc stuff like implementing the credits sequence and maybe the new menu UI). The actual underlying engine is still a modern branch of the original Doom code.

This pretty much. Any text and menus you see is generally rendered in Unity, which also greatly simplifies localization.

It'd certainly be possible to use the Unity 3D renderer natively by sending triangles and meshes to it for games like Quake, but it'd be way tougher to do that than it would be with Doom which uses the original software renderer and tosses it onto a fullscreen texture.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Volte posted:

You had a 486 until 2006? :wtc:
Lol, no quite. I had eventually gotten a nicer PC in like ‘01, but didn’t go back and play the games I’d missed like Quake 2 until ‘06.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

spongeh posted:

This pretty much. Any text and menus you see is generally rendered in Unity, which also greatly simplifies localization.

It'd certainly be possible to use the Unity 3D renderer natively by sending triangles and meshes to it for games like Quake, but it'd be way tougher to do that than it would be with Doom which uses the original software renderer and tosses it onto a fullscreen texture.

Wait, what? Is this how it's currently done?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

TOOT BOOT posted:

What engine did they use for the remasters from the past several years? I thought it was Unity...I know they're just not just updated versions of the original engines.

Doom1&2 is the original engine using Unity (previously Doom3) as an I/O interface, with the doom portion being a somewhat headless library that can be duplicated (which is how splitscreen is run, it just runs 4 copies of Doom and uses the original netcode to link them up). Doom using a software renderer makes this super easy as you just copy the screen to a texture (because it's just an array of bytes, after all) and apply a shader to it which maps the colour palette. The menus are in Unity and overlaid on top. This is actually something you can inspect yourself (well an older version of it), as it was released as part of the Doom3 BFG source code: https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM-3-BFG

Doom64 and Quake are in Kex, running their engines but with the Kex3/4 code replacing the rendering pipeline and supplying modern system interfaces. The rest of the engine sits inside a Kex game object class to run the loop. The code is implemented natively, so all extensions added are part of the engine itself.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yup.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 19, 2022

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i have spent all drat day playing quake and quake maps on switch. this remaster is so good, the switch port is flawless, these add-ons are blowing my mind. y’all did a phenomenal job with this

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

If you download BTSX E1, you'll find this bridge pretty early on in the first level:

I believe this bridge effect only works on the original software renderer. I think GZDoom will detect BTSX and patch the specific sectors for it's hardware renderer, since otherwise it would not render correctly. It is a trick that exploits Doom's software renderer in order to accomplish.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

The specters are another example. No hardware renderer has recreated the refraction effect properly/at all.

Sprites are also another example, as most typical hardware renderers cut their feet on the floor, where it's supposed to keep rendering into it. Though Doom64 gets around this by omitting the zbuffer, and Strife:VE makes use of an overdraw layer and using the zbuffer to stencil it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

spongeh posted:

I think GZDoom will detect BTSX and patch the specific sectors for it's hardware renderer, since otherwise it would not render correctly.
I don't think so? Not for that specific case, anyway. GZDoom does pack in a lot of compatibility fixes for famous vanilla/boom maps, but looking at the compatibility scripts, the only BTSX levels covered seem to be some rendering bugs in a beta version of E1 MAP12 and re-enabling some vanilla bugs in the pointonline algorithm for E2 MAP06.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

i have spent all drat day playing quake and quake maps on switch. this remaster is so good, the switch port is flawless, these add-ons are blowing my mind. y’all did a phenomenal job with this

yeah it’s brill

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rocket Pan posted:

The specters are another example. No hardware renderer has recreated the refraction effect properly/at all.

I'm no graphics coder, but technically, it should be possible to recreate the exact the same refraction with a shader written based on the original code, right?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

verbal enema posted:

PUT THE GODDAMN BASKETBALL STADIUM IN!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I give you permission, Shadow Hog.
Alright, fine, twist my arm why don't ya

Just finished a texture transplant from one mod to the other, next comes the fun part of converting everything to ZScript so I can actually boot the map up. This is likely going to take lower priority than the other project I already had in progress, though...

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm no graphics coder, but technically, it should be possible to recreate the exact the same refraction with a shader written based on the original code, right?

I'm not sure if it can be identical, but yeah a shader would be able to get close. However for whatever reason, no single hardware port even tries.

Except prboom-rt, though for tech demo reasons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So y'all are telling me that in the Doom remaster/console ports (from this generation), your player entity in Unity is essentially standing in front of a texture that's playing Doom? Is that a way I can think of it? It's been forever since I've messed with unity, back in the day when I thought I could make games, so my apologies if I'm way off.

Also, if anyone can code a shader for Doom to match that invisible effect, it's (fellow goon) Xibanya. She's a goddamned shader wizard.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

So y'all are telling me that in the Doom remaster/console ports (from this generation), your player entity in Unity is essentially standing in front of a texture that's playing Doom? Is that a way I can think of it? It's been forever since I've messed with unity, back in the day when I thought I could make games, so my apologies if I'm way off.

Sorta kinda yeah. The ol' Nerve port (with some changes and tweaks obviously!) is contained within a DLL and sends its output and requests input to/from Unity.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

(which is how splitscreen is run, it just runs 4 copies of Doom and uses the original netcode to link them up).

:aaa: I had no idea how that works but it oddly makes sense

Love reading your posts for this kind of poo poo lol

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Also, if anyone can code a shader for Doom to match that invisible effect, it's (fellow goon) Xibanya. She's a goddamned shader wizard.
There's no need for a "player entity" so it's just a camera, but basically yeah.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lork posted:

There's no need for a "player entity" so it's just a camera, but basically yeah.

Ah, right. Still, I think that's actually really neat, like when I learned that, in Portal, the actual portals were just custom, dynamic textures linked to the invisible camera attached to the corresponding portal.

Game dev is wizardry :allears:

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Yea, there's not really a player entity looking at an object, it's just a camera setup to be 2D. Same thing if you were making your menu systems in Unity.

However, when I fixed the sound a few patches back, I did so by placing a listener at 0,0,0, and anything that makes sound is turned into an actual game object with a sound emitter in the world placed around the origin. The sound falloff was changed to match Doom's of 2000 units or whatever it is. So there actually is a bunch of game objects moving around the player representing anything that's making a sound. Made debugging the sounds a lot easier since I could just see if the sounds are coming from the right place.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i love reading about this stuff as well, thanks for sharing everyone

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

site posted:

i love reading about this stuff as well, thanks for sharing everyone

Same, this is fascinating.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
this is the best thread on something awful imo

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Convex posted:

this is the best thread on something awful imo

Look at this Pinky's huge balls

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Some featherweight fun here...

https://twitter.com/TheSuperMainiaC/status/1515670391213240320

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
God Postal 4 has awful performance.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Update 3 is out for the Quake Remaster, adding a host of modern accessibility options like text-to-speech and a non-pixel-art font, three new Horde Mode maps by the MachineGames crew, and various tweaks and bugfixes. Also, all the remaster's new QuakeC scripting is now available under the GPL, and there are some fun new modding toys like letting any entity use bot AI path nodes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

Update 3 is out for the Quake Remaster, adding a host of modern accessibility options like text-to-speech and a non-pixel-art font, three new Horde Mode maps by the MachineGames crew, and various tweaks and bugfixes. Also, all the remaster's new QuakeC scripting is now available under the GPL, and there are some fun new modding toys like letting any entity use bot AI path nodes.

I'm gonna load up E1M1 with super hard bots and have a blast directly from 1997. :allears:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

amazing!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
if any of you want me to put your junk in my game as a billboarded sprite that can be blown to smithereens, send it to me here: jay at jaytholen dot net
don't worry about keying out the background, i can do that myself. :D

more info in this thread:
https://twitter.com/jaytholen/status/1516862932503732229

so far we've had submissions of beloved stuffed animals and pets which is pretty funny since people will be blowing these things up. gonna put the pets in but make them look like statues or figurines.

vvv - YES

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 20, 2022

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Gotta find my cow shaped cream pourer stat!!!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
what if I take a picture of a FIREBLU cushion

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m glad the Quake update starts you on the accessibility screen so you can immediately turn it all off. That new font scared me for a moment.:v:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

This genre is great, but the MVP will always be the one with the cats going up the stairs.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

The Kins posted:

In the off chance any community port developers are hanging around here:
https://twitter.com/Rocket_Pan_/status/1516889583677751296

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Gaspy Conana posted:

if any of you want me to put your junk in my game as a billboarded sprite that can be blown to smithereens, send it to me here: jay at jaytholen dot net

Uh, how many dickpics have you been sent after phrasing it that way?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah at first I didn't realize what thread I was in and thought "why is this guy soliciting dickpics for a retro fps?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah at first I didn't realize what thread I was in and thought "why is this guy soliciting dickpics for a retro fps?

Knee deep in the DMs

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Duke is back, babey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

skasion posted:

Knee deep in the DMs

:hmmyes: