Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I pulled the radiator hoses on the e30 so that I could pull the fan. I was swapping to an efan while I was going to replace a broken rocker. Black, non frothy oil came out of the lower water pump housing. Goddamnit. Bad seal somewhere or cracked block? Welcome to m20 roulette where there are 4 in the revolver

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

TheBacon posted:

No no you misunderstand. I need a second car while the wagon has driveline surgery. I spent a lot on non-M E9x platform suspension and n52 dinan exhaust. I have been planning on picking up an NA/NB miata as the second car while the wagon is out of commission. If I get an E82, basically everything I have bought so far would be able to come off the wagon and onto the E82 ezpz.

I owned a 128i automatic convertible for a while and also had a 128i manual coupe as a dealer loaner (!) for a couple of days

The coupe was very underwhelming. It had a vague rubbery shifter that reminded me of the E36 M3 and the interior felt unreasonably tight. That would have been excusable if it had performance chops like the 1-series M, but the whole package was kind of meh. Maybe a DISA intake + tune would have helped but my gut is don't waste your money :shrug:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

got off on a technicality posted:

I owned a 128i automatic convertible for a while and also had a 128i manual coupe as a dealer loaner (!) for a couple of days

The coupe was very underwhelming. It had a vague rubbery shifter that reminded me of the E36 M3 and the interior felt unreasonably tight. That would have been excusable if it had performance chops like the 1-series M, but the whole package was kind of meh. Maybe a DISA intake + tune would have helped but my gut is don't waste your money :shrug:

Well obviously the end goal would be to end up with two cars from the same generation that were never offered with S65s and swap that glorious V8 into both of them :homebrew:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The E82 interior is fine as long as you never put anyone in the back seat, I'm 6'4 I have no problems but my seat is like 3" from the rear bench, like I can't think it's less roomy than a Miata

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

rscott posted:

The E82 interior is fine as long as you never put anyone in the back seat, I'm 6'4 I have no problems but my seat is like 3" from the rear bench, like I can't think it's less roomy than a Miata

Miata’s are after all famous for their rear seat leg room. I am also 6’4”. I have kids and my 5er makes me wonder if I go back to an X5 or get an X7 or gasp shock iX. Of course I want the i4 but I know it’s too small back there.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We looked at the X5 and the back seat situation is horrific, with third row option it's approaching clown car levels of absurdity; the X7 is pretty good but at that point you might as well just get a real 7 series

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Hadlock posted:

We looked at the X5 and the back seat situation is horrific, with third row option it's approaching clown car levels of absurdity; the X7 is pretty good but at that point you might as well just get a real 7 series

Yeah we had flirted with the idea of an X5 for my wife but the rear seat is no bigger than my M3. Only advantage is it’s a flat bench instead of two good sized buckets. We wouldn’t be able to easily fit our three kids at all in an X5. The third row is laughable. We joked that we’d rather just get a second M3.

I like the X7 quite a bit actually.

Lilium Dimension
Feb 12, 2022

Am I out of my mind for wanting to trade a 2015 Mazda 3 for either an M235i or an M240i? I drive the Mazda maybe 1000 mi/yr tops and I imagine it will last me to 2030. I feel like there are way more responsible uses for $50k given I already have a perfectly functional vehicle, but… they’re nice cars??

I would probably drive it more than the Mazda and if I decide it’s not adding anything to my life I suppose I could sell it?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Life is short, make it even shorter with a BMW

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Lilium Dimension posted:

Am I out of my mind for wanting to trade a 2015 Mazda 3 for either an M235i or an M240i? I drive the Mazda maybe 1000 mi/yr tops and I imagine it will last me to 2030. I feel like there are way more responsible uses for $50k given I already have a perfectly functional vehicle, but… they’re nice cars??

I would probably drive it more than the Mazda and if I decide it’s not adding anything to my life I suppose I could sell it?

I want an M240i too. Let me live vicariously through you.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's no do overs in life, I really enjoyed driving the hell out of my wife's Z4, that was the best car for us at the time

Are you buying it in cash, or financing it? If it's cash I'd rather park that money in real estate, but if you're financing it, you'll probably end up paying very little real money in interest due to inflation etc

Lilium Dimension
Feb 12, 2022

Hadlock posted:

There's no do overs in life, I really enjoyed driving the hell out of my wife's Z4, that was the best car for us at the time

Are you buying it in cash, or financing it? If it's cash I'd rather park that money in real estate, but if you're financing it, you'll probably end up paying very little real money in interest due to inflation etc

Either is an option!

I have some time off work so I might stop by the dealership to take a look. That said I'll probably wait for the '23 G42 in the hopes that they bring the M Sport seats to the US. I also read some (sketchy?) rumor about iDrive revisions for the G42, although I'm not sure I love the direction they've taken iDrive on the i4/iX.

How hosed is everything because of the supply chain? How much over MSRP should I expect to pay for a factory order?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
My I4 arrived in Port Of Baltimore on Wednesday, and the sales guy and the CSR said it would likely be at the dealership by early next week (I live in MD).

So for reference, BMW originally quoted me with "end of June" but is set to deliver 2 months in advance, and because I pre-ordered I am getting it at MSRP without any markup. As far as I'm concerned, the supply chain is doing great

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lilium Dimension posted:

How hosed is everything because of the supply chain? How much over MSRP should I expect to pay for a factory order?

What planet have you been living on

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lilium Dimension posted:

Either is an option!

I have some time off work so I might stop by the dealership to take a look. That said I'll probably wait for the '23 G42 in the hopes that they bring the M Sport seats to the US. I also read some (sketchy?) rumor about iDrive revisions for the G42, although I'm not sure I love the direction they've taken iDrive on the i4/iX.

Get a broker and pay the $300-500 for them to find you one at MSRP.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Hadlock posted:

What planet have you been living on

The lithium dimension, obviously

Lilium Dimension
Feb 12, 2022

I keep waking up hoping it's a different planet but so far I'm still here.

I realize the lead time is going to be months, but based on cursory searching it's still not clear to me if I should expect a couple thousand over MSRP or like, ten thousand. Edmunds claims "other people" are paying a few hundred over MSRP.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lilium Dimension posted:

I keep waking up hoping it's a different planet but so far I'm still here.

I realize the lead time is going to be months, but based on cursory searching it's still not clear to me if I should expect a couple thousand over MSRP or like, ten thousand. Edmunds claims "other people" are paying a few hundred over MSRP.

You should get a broker and pay MSRP at most. It's not even an M car. I payed MSRP for my M4 Comp and I built it to order.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I still can't believe I got my m2c for msrp last may. I fought them on getting the .9% apr listed on the bmw site but they gave me such a loving hard time I "settled" for 1.9 - now I feel like I got the deal of the century.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Kind of bmw news https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39734676/toyota-supra-manual-confirmed/

Would be great if they slapped the s58 in this for a more super supra.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Voltage posted:

Kind of bmw news https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39734676/toyota-supra-manual-confirmed/

Would be great if they slapped the s58 in this for a more super supra.

Good news!

https://carbuzz.com/news/toyota-grmn-supra-coming-with-530-hp-bmw-m-engine
https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterlyon/2021/02/24/tweaked-bmw-m3-engine-to-power-toyotas-final-supra/?sh=15280a3a491f

quote:

Only 200 Supra GRMN versions will be built at a cost expected to hover around $120,000

:shepspends:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Not all that surprising given that the end of the mk4 Supra run inflates to around~60k. If Toyota is only building these to make a lot of cash off of collectors or people with too much money, welp, you have the perfect vehicle [heh] and economic conditions to do so!

Voltage posted:

I still can't believe I got my m2c for msrp last may. I fought them on getting the .9% apr listed on the bmw site but they gave me such a loving hard time I "settled" for 1.9 - now I feel like I got the deal of the century.

Yeah the 0% I got on mine in November 2019 is just free money and makes me lol.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 16, 2022

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Whoa! don't forget that it'll have a 100k minimum dealer mark up! Can't let anyone but investors have these cars.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Ohh baby. I love it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what are you coming from, out of curiosity

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Ohh baby. I love it.

Honestly this may be the worst angle for that nose that I’ve seen.

Grats though.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what are you coming from, out of curiosity

Mazda 6

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

The rear end looks good

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I, uhh, was invited to preorder an i7. And I’m like seriously considering it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Ohh baby. I love it.

do you have a handicap tag, or

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Buying a big grill BMW counts as handicapped

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Did you not notice he's driving a BMW?

TheBacon posted:

The rear end looks good

It's very similar to an M4, which is actually annoying me because I'm supposed to be speeeeeecial :argh:

Edit: what's with those grey inserts around the reflectors though? They look terrible.

Double edit: and why does it have a shelf under the trunk? Did they need those extra 4 inches for batteries?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 21, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

I, uhh, was invited to preorder an i7. And I’m like seriously considering it.

Do it

Get the chrome delete option

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

nice, how is the steering? that's the one complaint i've seen online, especially under acceleration

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Took the m2 into the dealership to get the stupid idrive system reboot issue figured out. Also, while it was in there they found a rodent nest that some lil mouse had chewed through some ignition system. Stupid country living.

They also dropped this guy off at my house to drive around while they work on the m2:

That tanzanite blue is something special, especially against the brown leather it looks really good. I didn't really like how the inside felt, it was beautiful but it just felt... Cheap? I dunno. Also driving in sport mode whenever I left off the gas it seems to shift really hard or something, it lurches forward a bit.

Also the front grille is still ugly af.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

nice, how is the steering? that's the one complaint i've seen online, especially under acceleration

It feels great to me, but I'm not enough of a car guy to know the difference between a super tight steering or not but it definitely attacks the road and is responsive in sport mode. When I first let it fly, I had some wobble which was literally me getting peeled back into the seat and kinda overcompensating on the direction, but now that I'm getting used to it, it does feel pretty good.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fyallm posted:

I didn't really like how the inside felt, it was beautiful but it just felt... Cheap? I dunno.

BMW has a huge interior quality gap based on trim level. The 530i I drove felt like cheap garbage inside compared to a fully loaded M4. Stuff like extended and upgraded leather and metal trim instead of plastic makes a huge difference.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

KillHour posted:

BMW has a huge interior quality gap based on trim level. The 530i I drove felt like cheap garbage inside compared to a fully loaded M4. Stuff like extended and upgraded leather and metal trim instead of plastic makes a huge difference.

Well this is an m440i so I dunno what they put in it. But it seems to have all the bells and whistles with the interior lighting package, premium package, driving assist package as well. But like the buttons under the knob felt like I was going to snap them in half pressing them, and the control wheel for the volume felt like something off a powerhweel for the kids.

And no way I could drive this thing as an automatic. It felt so bumpy / lunging..

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I dunno. I'd have to actually look around to find a cheap feeling control in mine and nearly everything my hands could reasonably touch feels nice. The full leather package was expensive but 100% worth it (and not available in the 440, iirc). The zf transmission is also really well programmed and only jolts on upshifts when I specifically have it on the sporty shift setting.

They might be doing that thing where they overdo the twitchiness to make it seem faster/more powerful than it actually is.

Edit: I looked it up and you literally cannot get Merino leather at all unless you go full M. The shift knob is also plastic instead of aluminum and the trim seems to be a lot more plastic. Full M cars also have a different steering wheel.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

KillHour posted:

Yeah I dunno. I'd have to actually look around to find a cheap feeling control in mine and nearly everything my hands could reasonably touch feels nice. The full leather package was expensive but 100% worth it (and not available in the 440, iirc). The zf transmission is also really well programmed and only jolts on upshifts when I specifically have it on the sporty shift setting.

They might be doing that thing where they overdo the twitchiness to make it seem faster/more powerful than it actually is.

Ahh ok, that makes sense that the leather package isn't available in the 440. And yeah it was in sport plus mode so maybe that is why, I will put it back in regular mode whenever I drive next.