Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
My friends and coworkers in Shanghai have really hit a wall these last few days. Turns out that a diet of instant noodles is only funny for the first week or two until your body starts realizing it's not a temporary situation. These are pretty affluent people, too. I can't imagine what migrant workers and other vulnerable groups are going through. My in-law who spent a few years in a Chinese prison said that he was fed better in prison. I also suspect Covid is spreading to neighboring cities, because another relative (90 years old and completely unvaccinated) in Suzhou is now under lockdown.

The rumor going around is that China is lobbying the WHO to drop the 'pandemic' status of Covid and/or 'rebrand' the next wave as something that is not Covid or Omicron and not as dangerous. Then China can declare that Covid is over, that China 'won,' and begin lifting policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Smeef posted:

The rumor going around is that China is lobbying the WHO to drop the 'pandemic' status of Covid and/or 'rebrand' the next wave as something that is not Covid or Omicron and not as dangerous. Then China can declare that Covid is over, that China 'won,' and begin lifting policies.

this is just so insanely pathetic

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
There seems to have been some pretty big protests in Pudong yesterday.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Come on China, get it together, please? :(

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1514714956456992776

psycho poo poo

when are the chinese going to rise up against CCP's brutal oppression

wow, amazing this happened, if only people before could have realized how utterly insane a “zero Covid” policy was. It’s too bad no one was able to predict this type of poo poo

beyond insane lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

guess they should just let millions die

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

China is stuck because it can't let it rip without losing millions of people and seeing widespread discontent, but Shanghai is showing just how poorly their local planning is going in one of their most advanced cities.

Shenzhen managed to keep it at bay but Shanghai really underestimated things and is going to struggle to keep it contained from the look of things.

But also a lot of the problems are just not solvable overnight. Why are so many old people not vaccinated? Why are FFP2 masks not the norm? Why is the plumbing still so poo poo it spreads an airborne virus?

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Smeef posted:

My friends and coworkers in Shanghai have really hit a wall these last few days. Turns out that a diet of instant noodles is only funny for the first week or two until your body starts realizing it's not a temporary situation. These are pretty affluent people, too. I can't imagine what migrant workers and other vulnerable groups are going through.

Not sure why they're surviving on instant noodles, there are ways of getting food. It's not optimal, but there's multiple sources. If they're seriously struggling PM me and I can put them in touch with people.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Filed under 'food for thought':

https://twitter.com/RyanFedasiuk/status/1514615891534626824

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mantis42 posted:

that's what will happen if they continue utterly failing to feed their people and provide them with critical healthcare

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

that's what will happen if they continue utterly failing to feed their people and provide them with critical healthcare

I really don't want to sound like a shill for the regime because they are loving up monumentally, but we're nowhere near close to millions not having food or healthcare

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Daduzi posted:

I really don't want to sound like a shill for the regime because they are loving up monumentally, but we're nowhere near close to millions not having food or healthcare

yet

let's not forget that china does have a track record of not giving a gently caress about starving its own citizens in the name of progress

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
China isn't practicing zero covid to save lives, it's practicing zero covid because the early days of the pandemic were a crisis of legitimacy for the government that scared the hell out of it.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Did you mean to post this as a response to the above video? Obviously crafting a functional public health response that doesn't traumatize the population and isn't laser focused on a single performance metric while failing to do basic things like vaccinate the vulnerable populations would be more effective than whatever appears to be happening.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 15, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Morrow posted:

China isn't practicing zero covid to save lives, it's practicing zero covid because the early days of the pandemic were a crisis of legitimacy for the government that scared the hell out of it.

so they’re just saving lives by accident?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

fart simpson posted:

so they’re just saving lives by accident?

I think that Xi Jinping cares as much about the individual lives and happiness of his citizens no more than Joe Biden does about his.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
it's expending this effort because it overcommitted, early during the pandemic, to a series of what has proven to be unfortunate bets: that vaccines would take a long time to develop (they did not), that disease surveillance would be as effective as with SARS, which had rewarded massive-scale temperature monitoring (it was not), that there would not be the emergence of much more infectious variants (vs, say, the emergence of much deadlier variants), that vaccines would provide sterilizing immunity or at least sufficient reduction of infectiousness once delivered at population-scale (they did not), etc.

not all of these were self-evidently wrong decisions at the time they were made, although of course much criticism can be levelled at institutional inflexibility afterwards (be it due to leadership dysfunction, bureaucratic inertia, or the deadly impact of scoring short-term political victories by deliberately entrenching a basically technocratic judgment as a patriotic conceit so that it becomes very, very difficult to backtrack later. Americans, for whom mask-wearing became a partisan decision at levels far more intense than in the rest of the Western democratic world, should be well aware of how this can backfire).

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
"this disease is not SARS and one should stop reacting as if it is" plays out in a lot of ways, even taking zero-covid as the accepted policy goal:
  • nosocomial clusters of SARS infamously decimated hospital departments in its time. But today, shutting down hospital departments for deep cleaning and quarantine of all exposed staff whenever there is a single detected COVID-19 case virtually guarantees that whole hospitals will be unable to function when there are hundreds of thousands of cases in the community, which is exactly what we observe
  • SARS was astonishingly fatal even with well-functioning ICU care, so it was authentically important to isolate the infected, even within households. But even before vaccination was an option, it was already hard to justify separating households for covid-19 cases
  • SARS conveniently produced high fevers early in incubation so dramatic that infrared crowd scanners could pick them up, and even more conveniently was most infectious in its second week of symptomatic infection - that is, symptomatic were 1) easily detected at large 2) easy to obtain adherence/compliance to public health measures, since it was so ridiculously fatal to the infected, and 3) detectable quite long before being most infectious. Conversely covid-19 is 1) generally asymptomatic, 2) therefore difficult to negotiate compliance 3) infectious relatively earlier; indeed maybe just about when rapid tests can themselves pick up signs of viral shedding (people become infectious a couple days before tests will detect it - another good reason not to separate households - but peak infectiousness comes later).
correcting too far is a thing. A problem China perceived with its SARS experience was hospitals turning away the potentially infected because they were terrifying to the staff and unprofitable to treat - leading to uncontrolled community transmission. Today there are now reliable reports of Shanghai hospitals turning away the potentially infected because they've been so obliged to take in so many of the known asymptomatic infected (and to keep them there until they test negative) that they have no ward space - leading to uncontrolled community transmission.

ronya fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 16, 2022

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
A fascinating essay in the kinds of unexpected dysfunctions in organizing online deliveries: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/3qW86520C6Xt8g97_K9lMw

Narrative by employees of an online delivery department of Fresh Hema supermarket 盒马鲜生 in Shanghai, which wound up organizing emergency committees of HR office ladies and programmers to do delivery as the lockdown set in

quote:

Fan Xiaojie asked three times: "Have your 48-hour nucleic acid results come out? Is the community all overcast? Has the permit issued by the Commerce Commission been issued?"

After the global static management, all motor vehicles in Shanghai are prohibited from driving on the road in principle, unless all the above three conditions are met. These three consecutive questions instantly overwhelmed the vast majority of them. In the end, only 16 cars that met all conditions and were able to move were counted.

quote:

When Fan Xiaojie asked three consecutive questions in the group, Qiu Keli was the first to answer. After all, he was driving a car run by the president, and of course he had all three certificates. But he never expected that he almost didn't even come out of the gate of the community, and the guard asked three times, "What are you going out for? Are you going to buy food? Are you telling the truth?"

Qiu Keli remembered the joke of "how to prove that your mother is your mother". With just one mouth, he could never prove that he was not going to buy vegetables. After thinking over and over again, I went home and opened the refrigerator, refrigerated and frozen, and took a close-up photo of each floor. After going out, I felt that it was not convincing enough. I went back and stuffed some fruits and drinks in it, so that every floor was full, and I took it back and showed it to the doorman: "Look, there's nowhere to plug it when you buy it.

The guard saw the shooting time in the photo album of his mobile phone and had nothing to say, but he kindly warned: "Don't blame me if you can't come back after going out!"

Warnings are indeed warnings, and good intentions are indeed good intentions. After the whole domain is static, the right to formulate the rules for personnel entry and exit control has been distributed to each neighborhood committee, and the rules are still changing from time to time. Your certificate may be recognized in the morning, but may not be recognized in the afternoon.

Sure enough, Qiu Keli never returned to the community. Three hours after he went out, a nearby community tested positive. The property sent a text message, and he remembered a sentence of hundreds of words: "Don't go in when you go out, and don't go out when you go in."

To this day, he can only sleep in the car. Every night, the streets are empty, and he can see the convoys pulling medical staff from other places into the city, and he can also see the transport convoys pulling close cases out of the city.

quote:

At the beginning of the establishment of the Volunteer Team, everyone had only one goal: try to increase the number of delivery orders, and send as many families as possible. He Yanjun expected that his SUV could hold up to 20 courier boys, but after two days of running, he realized that the account was not calculated like this.

The team's schedule on April 5 shows that after various unexpected combat attritions, 6 vehicles were finally left, of which 2 were transporting people, 2 were delivering, and 2 had to be vacated to pull the required distribution of Lianhua Qingwen [ed note: a Chinese TCM mandated as treatment]. Wen - Hema still has more than 40 stores open, and the sorting guys who work on the ground floor, masks, protective clothing and Lianhua Qingwen are prescribed must-haves and must be delivered by someone. If you don't participate in the volunteer team, no one would think that Lianhua Qingwen will take up one-third of the transportation capacity.

"Of course we want every car to deliver food to the residents, but if there is a positive case in the store and the store is closed, then the previous efforts will be in vain, and we can only do it strictly according to the regulations," He Yanjun said.

a lot of energy being mandated on political fictions here, not least of which expending precious logistical capacity on pseudoscientific medicine

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
They appear to still be maintaining the fiction of zero deaths from this now 300,000+ case outbreak, too.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/wstv_lizzi/status/1515252449736630276

https://twitter.com/lingli_vienna/status/1515298431014735875

if I were to guess, probably for letting clusters through

Smeef posted:

https://twitter.com/teamlipei/status/1515274702742196226

quote:

Let me offer a plan to fight the epidemic: Shanghai will immediately establish a Special Administrative Region (SAR), deepen reforms, and strengthen its status as a financial center, parallel to Hong Kong. At the same time, Shanghai and Hong Kong and Macau are both SARs, and the number of new crown cases is not included in mainland China, and mainland China has quickly achieved a social factual reset, everyone is happy.

In other news, Xi'an (capital of Shaanxi, pop. 13m) has entered a not-lockdown after detecting 43 new cases over a two-week period. It exited its previous lockdown in January (previous international coverage). Interestingly its announced measures are really lax by Chinese standards.

A graph from The Economist:

ronya fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 16, 2022

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

yet

let's not forget that china does have a track record of not giving a gently caress about starving its own citizens in the name of progress

Nah, trends in Shanghai at least are towards increasing access to food and healthcare, not less.

Ultimately remember that though the regime is callous, they really don't want a hungry populace pushing against them. That might have been feasible in the 70s, but it isn't under the new pact.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I think we're officially at the Fall Guy part of this horrible cycle.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Shanghai’s lockdown protests reveal tensions over zero-Covid

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/17/shanghai-lockdown-desperation-rises-food-runs-low-china

quote:

At about noon last Tuesday, Yu Wenming, an 82-year-old man in Shanghai, called his local residential committee for help. “I’ve used up my medicines. Nor do I have anything to eat. I’m feeling awful,” Yu, who had tested positive for Covid, told the party secretary, Zhang Zhen.

Zhang listened patiently, saying he had already referred the case to his superiors and there was nothing he could do. “Do you mean I should just wait here until I die, then?” Yu asked. Zhang responded with an angry rant, complaining that he too was completely powerless in this situation: “I’m worried too. I’m angry too … But there’s nothing we can do … I don’t know what to do either.”

Zhang revealed that calls for help had been piling up in recent days, but that his superiors were not dealing with them. “Perhaps one day, when I cannot put up with it, I’ll quit. Will this day come soon?”

In economic terms, the equivalent of 40% of China’s gross domestic product is estimated to be under some form of lockdown. In Shanghai – a metropolis known for its hustle and bustle and sometimes called the “Paris of the east” – a fortnight of confinement has produced a sense of hopelessness and desperation among its 25 million residents.

Food shortages have forced some residents to resort to bartering. A barrage of criticism of the authorities’ response to the crisis has left the normally efficient internet censors unable to keep up.

Online, many residents are not only questioning the way the outbreak is being dealt with, but also Beijing’s official narrative, which emphasises the collective good. Footage of localised protests have been uploaded to Chinese social media. They have been taken down by the censors, but have reappeared on western platforms such as Twitter and Facebook – both of which are blocked in China.

“Every day there are incidents that break one’s bottom line,” wrote a “normal Shanghai resident” last week in a widely circulated Weibo article entitled, Shanghai’s Patience Has Reached the Limit.

Yet, despite growing discontent, there is little sign the authorities are going to change course. Distressing tales of exhausted officials have been widely read online in recent days, including one about a 55-year-old local public health officer, Qian Wenxiong, who was said to have taken his own life in his office because of the pressure he was under. The authorities confirmed he had died on Thursday, and the police did not deny the rumoured cause of it.

Hu Xijin, the former editor of the state-run tabloid Global Times, said in a commentary that Qian’s death had intensified the impression that the fight against Covid in Shanghai was “overwhelming” officials. But he insisted that despite the tragedy, Shanghai “must achieve Covid clearance” for the benefit of the country.

His words have been echoed in recent days by China’s most senior leaders. On Wednesday, President Xi Jinping told his officials: “It is necessary to overcome paralysing thoughts, war-weariness … and slack mentality.” On Friday, vice-premier Sun Chunlan reiterated the government’s unwavering commitment to “zero Covid”.

But the tensions between the authorities’ hard line and grassroots protests against food shortages have exposed a dilemma for Beijing, according to Prof Jane Duckett, a longtime follower of Shanghai politics and society at the University of Glasgow.

“The food supply crisis in Shanghai has been a key issue that has surprised Shanghai’s residents and led them to question the anti-Covid strategy,” she said. “The problem is that without better logistics in supplies of food and other essentials, there is pressure to relax restrictions, but a relaxation will likely lead to the virus spreading – and scenes such as those in Hong Kong. Protest and instability seem unavoidable either way.”

Experts say that despite the growing calls outside the country for China to ditch its Covid policy, Beijing’s patchy record in vaccinating its vulnerable population – in particular those over 60 years old – would pose an even greater danger to its inadequate healthcare system.

By 5 April, more than 92 million Chinese citizens aged 65 or above had still not received three vaccine doses, leaving them at greater risk of contracting severe symptoms or dying from the virus. More worryingly, 20.2 million people aged 80 and above have not been fully vaccinated either.

These realities, coupled with the use of a comparatively less effective homemade vaccine, has made China’s future policy choices even more limited.

“The Chinese leadership has been cornered,” said Yanzhong Huang, a senior fellow at the New York-based Council on Foreign Relations thinktank. “But instead of asking all population – young and old – to stay at home at the same time, Beijing should focus on persuading its senior citizens to receive three doses of vaccine and making the antiviral pills available to them first. They should also approve the BioNTech mRNA vaccine for nationwide rollout immediately.”

But to China’s leadership, the insistence on zero Covid is also about demonstrating the superiority of China’s political system, Duckett believes.

Last week, Xi again extolled the policy in an event that celebrated the Winter Olympics, despite reports of food shortages in one of the country’s most important financial hubs. “As some foreign athletes have said, if there was a gold medal for responding to the pandemic, then China deserves it,” Xi said, according to the Xinhua news agency.

What has happened in Shanghai and elsewhere in the country will also have political consequences in the run-up to the Communist party’s 20th national congress later this year, according to Victor Shih, an expert on Chinese elite politics at the University of California, San Diego.

“The party typically would like a smooth economic and political environment going into the congress, but Covid and the different ways Chinese cities are responding to it will create a very challenging environment for the party,” he said.

For residents of Shanghai, who have the reputation of being uninterested in politics, the pressing issue now is to get through this period. Towards the end of his call on Tuesday, Yu posed a question to Zhang, the local party secretary: “Is this what it’s really like in our country?”

“I don’t know how Shanghai ended up like this,” said Zhang. He sighed and ended the call. “I’m sorry, Mr Yu … Goodbye.”

A recording of their exchange soon went viral on WeChat, before the censors caught up with it and removed it. On Thursday, state media said that Yu had been sent to a hospital

This is monstrous negligence. The time has come to abandon covid zero. Vaccinate your elderly and take care of your drat citizens. How can a communist nation abandon people in this way?

How are u fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 17, 2022

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The craziest part of this to me is that there was a test involved of the capacity of extremely strict centralized autocracies with REALLY strong civil control mechanisms to utilize disease control methods, leading to the justifications of covid zero. at the very least, as a test case for the utility of containment, at these levels, by these mechanisms.

But china goes about it with the standard autocratic frailties, with a process not governed by rational policy but rather by image frailty and an acute allergy to dissent and the free exchange of information. the motivations are wrong, the outcomes are ... well, they're this now. they cannot adapt on the right lines, they can only compensate according to a mandate which was originally about saving face.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Peng Ming-Min died last week. He was a long-time activist for democratic reform inside Taiwan, including pushing for Taiwanese democracy and the end to the ROC in the 1960s. For one of his writings his writings, the Declaration of Formosan Self-Salvation, he was put in jail on Green Island, where Chiang kept political dissidents.

quote:

A strong movement is rapidly sweeping across Taiwan. It is a self-salvation movement for the 12 million (the population at
that time) people of Taiwan, who are unwilling to be governed by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) or destroyed by
Chiang Kai-shek. People throughout the world are awakening, and we want to join them. To establish a democratic, free,
sensible, and prosperous society, we will unite to abolish Chiang Kai-shek’s illegitimate regime. We deeply believe that
joining this strong movement to realize our dignified objectives is everyone’s right, and also everyone’s duty.

一個堅強的運動,正在台灣急速地展開著。這是台灣島上一千二百萬人民不願受共產黨統治,不甘心被蔣介石毀
滅的自救運動。我們要迎上人民覺醒的世界潮流,摧毀蔣介石的非法政權,為建設民主自由,合理繁榮的社會而
團結奮鬥。我們深信,參加這個堅強運動,使這個崇高的理想早日實現,是我們每一個人的權利,也是我們每一
個人的責任。

quote:

Some people said that Chiang Kai-shek has become a naked emperor, and that we can wait for the end of his regime.
However, we must not exclude the possibility that when Chiang’s regime ends, those in charge would not hand Taiwan
over to the Chinese Communists. We must be concerned that Taiwan might be dominated by the international powers. For
this reason, we absolutely cannot wait (for Chiang’s regime to end).

有人說,蔣介石已成了裸體的皇帝,我們可以坐待他的未日。但是我們不能不想,走到窮途末日的蔣政權,將台
灣交給中共。我們更不能不憂慮,台灣將被國際上的權力政治所宰割,所以說我們絕對不能等待。

Many intellectuals still blindly believe in a “peaceful transfer of power” and “gradual reform.” We must point out that if
you look at the notorious history of the KMT, you will immediately realize that with the arrogant Chiang Kai-shek, any
compromise is not a hope but merely a trap---a trap especially for the prosecution of intellectuals. Therefore we must never
have the delusion of a “peaceful transfer of power” nor compromise.

許多知識份子們仍然在迷信「和平轉移政權」與「漸進的改革」。我們必須指出,如果回顧劣跡昭昭的國民黨
史,我們立刻就可以發現,只要剛復狂傲的蔣介石睜著眼睛,任何方式的妥協不是夢想,便是圈套——專門用來
陷害知識份子的圈套。所以我們絕不能妄想「和平轉移政權」而妥協。

We also want to honestly warn those who cooperate with Chiang’s regime: “You should repent and stop acting as Chiang’s
tools. Otherwise, history and the people will impose the most severe sanctions on you.

我們還要坦誠的告誡與蔣政權合作的人們:「你們應立即衷心悔悟不再為蔣政權作威作虎,不再做蔣政權的爪牙
耳目,否則,歷史和人民將給你們最嚴厲的制裁」!

In it, he was one of the first people to public talk about the 228 Incident where thousands were killed by the KMT after the war. After being moved to house arrest, he escaped Taiwan in 1970 and spent the next 20 years in exile in Sweden and the US. He came back in the 1990s, and was the first presidential candidate for the DPP in the 1996 election, where he lost to Lee Deng Hui of the KMT. He wasn't one of the founders of the DPP (as they got started in the 80s when he was in exile) but he was one of the ideological founders.

I've read alot of his stuff and alot about him, and one thing that kinda sticks out: personally, everyone thought he was a tremendous rear end in a top hat. Brilliant, but everyone loving hated working with him. And you know, if I lost my arm in WW2 (not as a fighter, from a US bombing raid) and witnessed the Nagasaki atomic bomb, and was jailed by my government for wanting democracy, then I would be pissed too.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/sehof/status/1515936340344717313

quote:

BEIJING, April 18 (Reuters) - China's supply chains must be stabilised amid COVID-19 outbreaks, with local governments helping key companies get back to work, the official Xinhua news agency quoted Vice Premier Liu He as saying.

Growing COVID-19 flare-ups are snarling China's logistics chains, clogging highways and ports, stranding workers and shutting countless factories. The disruptions are already spilling over into global supply chains.

Data on Monday showed a significant slowdown in March economic activity, and analysts say April is likely to be worse as tough lockdowns drag on. read more

Authorities must ensure traffic permits for drivers are recognized across the country, and transport should not be limited on the grounds of waiting for drivers' COVID-19 test results, Xinhua said on Monday.

"We should solve outstanding problems one by one in key regions," Liu was quoted as saying, adding that the government will create a "white list" of key industrial firms that need help recovering from disruptions.

The Ministry of Industry and Information Technology said it will work with 666 companies making semiconductors, automobiles, and the medical sector in locked-down Shanghai, it said in a statement late on Friday.

the 一断三不断 slogan dating back to Jan 2020 is making the official rounds again

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I'm not sure it takes that much imagination, since that's how a lot of Chinese government policies seem to work; there's a vague directive from the central government, and the most extreme implementation is by some local governments, often in rural areas. It's a systematic problem with the way the Chinese government is organized. I think there was a great post in this thread a few years ago about this process, but I can't find it.

I finally found it!

Cefte posted:

When you say 'the Chinese government' like that, it sounds stupid, because you don't think of world leaders thinking up ways to stuff rice in the mouths of Hui. But (as I think has been raised already in this thread), that's not how this works.

National leaders say something along the lines of 'Steadfastly increase patriotic integration and combat cultism'. On the level they operate, that's rational.

Provincial level authorities create grading scores that measure success in 'integration and cultism combatance' as part of the battery of assessments for their county-level subordinates. On the level they operate, that's rational.

County-level administrators are desperate to advance through the party and really start to make some kuai, so they lean pretty heavily on their township subordinates to produce evidence that they've integrated and combated cultism better than the guys in the next county that they're competing with. Empirical evidence is hard, but a policy is the next best thing, even if it's a bit stupid. That's a bit sleazy, but it's certainly rational self-motivation.

Township-level guys come out with ideas like this:

quote:

A statement from Zonglang township in Xinjiang's Kashgar district said that "the county committee has issued comprehensive policies on maintaining social stability during the Ramadan period.

Which is going to sound great on the circular they send to the guys at the county office.

When you get down to the towns, then you get goons throwing rice at Hui. Which is dumb as gently caress, but a function of a stratified administrative system with weak oversight, highly abstracted inter-level instruction, close to zero attention to human rights or national rule of law and upwardly-mobile local officials.

This post was was from 2012, by the way; the policy discussed was, in retrospect, an early warning sign of how bad things would get in Xinjiang. (The very next post is someone pointing out that the policy was almost certainly directed at Uyghurs, not Hui.)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am struck by the parallels to Russian governance in the lack of specific top-down administrative instruction or rulemaking.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I am struck by the parallels to Russian governance in the lack of specific top-down administrative instruction or rulemaking.

It’s a form of “working towards the Fuhrer,” I guess, and thus how a lot of authoritarian governments end up working. The people at the top have unlimited authority but can’t be bothered to formulate actual policies, just vibes, and people lower down the chain compete to be the most zealous in turning the vibes into policies, resulting in horrifyingly extreme policies.

Edit: I think in the Chinese case, and probably other cases as well, this way of doing things is a feature rather than a bug for the people at the top, because 1) it lets them disavow unpopular policies without admitting fault, and 2) it lets them test out different versions of a general policy.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 21, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Silver2195 posted:

It’s a form of “working towards the Fuhrer,” I guess, and thus how a lot of authoritarian governments end up working. The people at the top have unlimited authority but can’t be bothered to formulate actual policies, just vibes, and people lower down the chain compete to be the most zealous in turning the vibes into policies, resulting in horrifyingly extreme policies.

Edit: I think in the Chinese case, and probably other cases as well, this way of doing things is a feature rather than a bug for the people at the top, because 1) it lets them disavow unpopular policies without admitting fault, and 2) it lets them test out different versions of a general policy.

Agreed fully, the ability to shift credit and blame up and down reflects the obscurity of policy control and the opacity of the state structure itself.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It also fundamentally reflects how these are absolutely huge countries that you can't really micromanage. If you want top down control, the implementation is going to look like that as it gets amplified by each rung on the ladder.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Morrow posted:

It also fundamentally reflects how these are absolutely huge countries that you can't really micromanage. If you want top down control, the implementation is going to look like that as it gets amplified by each rung on the ladder.

Reminder at this point that Han Feizi was writing about the impossibility of managing China through fiat over 2,000 years ago, and the place has got exponentially more complex since then.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
How are these people so virulently racist towards people they have little to no contact with?

https://mobile.twitter.com/TGTM_Official/status/1515960068725886978

Despera fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 21, 2022

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Discendo Vox posted:

The Tsar loves the peasants, but is poorly advised.

Daduzi posted:

Reminder at this point that Han Feizi was writing about the impossibility of managing China through fiat over 2,000 years ago, and the place has got exponentially more complex since then.
He just didn't have enough different types of fiat. RIP my main man, Wang Mang.

Cefte fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 22, 2022

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Despera posted:

How are these people so virulently racist towards people they have little to no contact with?

The internet makes you stupid

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Despera posted:

Chinese people are like people anywhere else. People are tribal by nature and it is easy to stir these kinds of feelings up provided you give them the right material. There will always be losers in any society who have accomplished nothing that they can feel good about so the only thing they have left to fall back on is their skin colour or culture. Racism in China is nothing new. Nor does moving into the West reduce racism among the diaspora. My parents and family still use racial slurs for different ethnic groups. That only toned down when my sister married a white guy and I am pretty sure my father came close to a meltdown but he mellowed out. Chinese people look down on other Chinese people too and discriminate against those from different regions just like how Canadians have stereotypes of people in Newfoundland or how Americans have the inbred white trash stereotypes of people in Kentucky or W. Virginia.

In short people are trash.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Is it really the the lack of specific top-down administrative instruction or is it the top levels of government choosing not to be the face of policy when doing so could be inconvenient? It's a pretty common thing for authoritarian leadership to go very quiet on potentially controversial actions, leaving the lower levels of government to be the mouthpieces and scapegoats just in case something goes wrong.

As an example, during much of the first year of COVID-19 you saw both Xi Jinping and Vladimir Putin get super quiet to the point people were making up conspiracy theory nonsense to explain where they vanished to. A bunch of other autocrats similarly vanished from the public eye for presumably the same reason.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 22, 2022

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/KnowS0mething/status/1517254705470218240

absolute psycho poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Warbadger posted:

Is it really the the lack of specific top-down administrative instruction or is it the top levels of government choosing not to be the face of policy when doing so could be inconvenient? It's a pretty common thing for authoritarian leadership to go very quiet on potentially controversial actions, leaving the lower levels of government to be the mouthpieces and scapegoats just in case something goes wrong.

As an example, during much of the first year of COVID-19 you saw both Xi Jinping and Vladimir Putin get super quiet to the point people were making up conspiracy theory nonsense to explain where they vanished to. A bunch of other autocrats similarly vanished from the public eye for presumably the same reason.

It's that as far as I can tell neither government has a structural apparatus that would provide or create an expectation of such communication. I'm familiar enough with Chinese regulatory rollouts that I know their systems are genuinely opaque and have systemic gaps in ways that, e.g., regulations.gov or federalregister.gov don't.