Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

jarofpiss posted:

this is such a stupid tedious post

Please don't sign your posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Funso Banjo posted:

I work in IT, and like virtually everyone I know who works in this industry, I'm kind of vaguely okay with crypto. But I get why some people hate it.

I do find it funny, though, that the people on SA that really seem to hate it are board gamers.

I work in video games, studied in IT, and I hate crypto, we all hate crypto. The gently caress are you talking about. Anyone who knows anything about computers knows crypto is terrible.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

no bitcoin ever floated out into the middle of the ocean and made an island from plastic game pieces and dead dolphins

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

jarofpiss posted:

no bitcoin ever floated out into the middle of the ocean and made an island from plastic game pieces and dead dolphins

So I assume you're already boycotting Kickstarter on principle as a vehicle for distributing plastic game pieces, then?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

So I assume you're already boycotting Kickstarter on principle as a vehicle for distributing plastic game pieces, then?

no im just trying to suggest y’all might be happier if you break out of the lib brain “vote with your dollar” activism by consumption trap because there is no logical consistency to it and it never ends

just dont like violate active strikes/boycotts/whatever, your individual choice means nothing here

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This weekend I was doing BGA gaming, so me and two others played Similo. (It's Premium only, sorry.) It's similar to Codenames Pictures except the art is not abstract, but something specific. We played with the Fables set so each card was a fairy tale character, but there are others like Animals and Historical Figures. 16 are laid out and 1 is the secret character. The hint giver takes some of the remaining cards and places them vertical to indicate the character is similar, or vertically to indicate that the character is dissimilar, but otherwise will say nothing. So, perhaps the secret character is The Giant, so you pick Tinkerbell because she is small. The guessers will eliminate one character from the roster based on that hint, and so long as they don't eliminate the secret character, they game continues with another hint. The later rounds involve removing 2, 3, 4, and then 1 last character.

Absolutely dead simple, could play this with essentially anyone, but we had a perfectly nice time with it. One advantage of it being so small and so modular is that you can mix things up. You could deal out Fable characters, but give the clue giver the deck of Historical Figures instead. Even the BGA implementation will let you do this, which sounds fun, though we didn't try it yet.

Any other goons played it? This feels like something that you might be able to get even extremely reticent people to try.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I need to start finally culling games from my shelf, mostly because I'm moving so it's finally time. What kind of price ranges do people usually offer on a used game, especially if it's sleeved/has an insert/expansions/etc?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I work in video games, studied in IT, and I hate crypto, we all hate crypto. The gently caress are you talking about. Anyone who knows anything about computers knows crypto is terrible.

Yeah like wtf, everyone I know who actually programs knows crypto is a bag of garbage

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Back Alley Borks posted:

I need to start finally culling games from my shelf, mostly because I'm moving so it's finally time. What kind of price ranges do people usually offer on a used game, especially if it's sleeved/has an insert/expansions/etc?

Check the BGG price history for a game which will give you some idea. I don't usually factor in extras but you could give it a shot.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The way I look at it is that extras give you an edge over other listings, but buyers know that you’re not going to be able to move most extras by themselves, so don’t expect a huge premium.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Back Alley Borks posted:

Yeah like wtf, everyone I know who actually programs knows crypto is a bag of garbage

The target audience is folks who work adjacent to tech and programming who are insecure in their knowledge of the systems they interface with everyday. Crypto gives a strong sense of "I know something you don't know" that is very addicting.

Fortunately, most folks in my gaming group haven't fallen into that pit. There are two guys who used to talk crypto a lot. Since I host, I added crypto to the forbidden topics list.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Funso Banjo posted:

I work in IT, and like virtually everyone I know who works in this industry, I'm kind of vaguely okay with crypto. But I get why some people hate it.

If you are “vaguely okay” with it, then you either don’t understand it or are actively trying to grift off it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Also what a shock jarofpiss and Prada have been probed yet again!

Maybe THIS sixer will be the one that makes them stop… oh wait the mods already said they aren’t going to do anything else to them

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 21, 2022

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

prada slut: *some stupid poo poo*
me (muffled, due to hook lodged firmly in cheek): just posting to say that i definitely did not take the bait this time

It seems like the "bait", as it were, is people constantly bringing up controversial topics and then probating people for having opinions on them.

Lately it seems like this thread is 50% "Board Games" and 50% "Board Games are Problematic". I don't particularly disagree with what most people are saying, but I'm starting to think we should have a separate thread to talk about actual board games, if people want this to be the board game politics thread. Or maybe stop establishing "official thread opinions" and moderating people for wrongthink.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The solution to KS is just back games for a $1 to gain access to the pledge manager. More money then goes directly to the devs

KS is the problem. Not the games/developers/companoes using it as their crowdfunding platform.ap

It's starting to look like companies are slowly moving away from KS onto other platforms, but Rome wasn't built in a day and KS still currently provides the most bang for your buck in terms of coverage and amount of pledges.

Like the conversation honestly doesn't need to get more complicated than that.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PerniciousKnid posted:

It seems like the "bait", as it were, is people constantly bringing up controversial topics and then probating people for having opinions on them.

Lately it seems like this thread is 50% "Board Games" and 50% "Board Games are Problematic". I don't particularly disagree with what most people are saying, but I'm starting to think we should have a separate thread to talk about actual board games, if people want this to be the board game politics thread. Or maybe stop establishing "official thread opinions" and moderating people for wrongthink.

it's weird how the only two people who are moderated for wrongthink have repeatedly admitted that they're just trolling in bad faith to rile people up

it's almost as though they are being probed for something other than their opinions and are only hiding being "I was probated for wrongthink!" as a smokescreen :thunk:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just had the 8th player confirm for TI:PoK for next month :toot:

Hoping I draft Space Godzilla's

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

it's weird how the only two people who are moderated for wrongthink have repeatedly admitted that they're just trolling in bad faith to rile people up

it's almost as though they are being probed for something other than their opinions and are only hiding being "I was probated for wrongthink!" as a smokescreen :thunk:

Personally I don't particularly value riling people up in good faith, at least in the board game thread. Nor do I appreciate sarcastic responses to serious posts, but I choose not to take it personally.

I will clarify that the only person who mentioned wrongthink is me, and I have not been moderated, I just think the tone of the thread is heading in the wrong direction.

Infinitum posted:

Just had the 8th player confirm for TI:PoK for next month :toot:

Hoping I draft Space Godzilla's
That sounds awesome, I'm still trying to get TI2 to the table.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

That sounds awesome, I'm still trying to get TI2 to the table.

Honestly I'm extremely chuffed I'm able to fill numbers like this on the regular.

9 player Western Empires :getin:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Honestly I'm extremely chuffed I'm able to fill numbers like this on the regular.

9 player Western Empires :getin:

Post-pandemic I'm not even sure I know 8 people anymore. :xd: Post an AAR so I can enjoy it vicariously.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

PerniciousKnid posted:

Personally I don't particularly value riling people up in good faith, at least in the board game thread. Nor do I appreciate sarcastic responses to serious posts, but I choose not to take it personally.

I will clarify that the only person who mentioned wrongthink is me, and I have not been moderated, I just think the tone of the thread is heading in the wrong direction.

That's a whole lotta whoosh, bud.

The "two posters" who were being discussed by poopacy's response were pradaslut and jarofpiss, both of whom have a prob history replete with "just asking questions here - what's the big deal?" Take a look at it sometime and take a look at how frequent (as in, not at all) probes of other posters are in this thread and see if maybe, just maybe, you can discern a different pattern regarding what exactly is taking this thread in the wrong direction.

Memnaelar fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 21, 2022

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Does anyone have any suggestions for physically small and rules light games? And when I say physically small, I mean 'can fit into a standard purse'. I've usually got Tussie Mussie on hand, but wouldn't mind some more options (anyone have any experience with Button Shy's other games?).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

Post-pandemic I'm not even sure I know 8 people anymore. :xd: Post an AAR so I can enjoy it vicariously.

I do have an old GoPro somewhere I might be able to jerryrig together to do a time-lapse, if I can get it working again - Screen got smashed up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Leraika posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for physically small and rules light games? And when I say physically small, I mean 'can fit into a standard purse'. I've usually got Tussie Mussie on hand, but wouldn't mind some more options (anyone have any experience with Button Shy's other games?).

Sprawlopolis is the best regarded of the Button Shy games I believe.

Mint Works is a cute little worker placement game and it's a pity the other Mint games didn't live up to it.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Leraika posted:

This one's a little trickier to find as WYG has fallen on hard times, but Oddville is, imo, pound for pound one of the BEST rules light and physically small games that punches way above its weight class in terms of tough choices. Definitely fits in a purse.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Leraika posted:

If you carry a purse like my grandma you could fit 2x TtR size boxes :v:

Also, I suggest Hanamikoji. Especially the boys love version as a good 1v1.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza is another pretty good purse game.

Just don't wear any rings on your fingers, and trim your nails, ya dogs :argh:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

PerniciousKnid posted:

“Wrongthink”. gently caress off with that disingenuous nonsense.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Leraika posted:

drat near any small box card game. Bohnhanza, No Thanks, Love Letter, Skull off the top of my head.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Infinitum posted:

The solution to KS is just back games for a $1 to gain access to the pledge manager. More money then goes directly to the devs

KS is the problem. Not the games/developers/companoes using it as their crowdfunding platform.ap

It's starting to look like companies are slowly moving away from KS onto other platforms, but Rome wasn't built in a day and KS still currently provides the most bang for your buck in terms of coverage and amount of pledges.

Like the conversation honestly doesn't need to get more complicated than that.

Oh, sounds like a good exploit.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

You call people stupid YOU WILL BE PROBED. Act like a respectful adult. You use words that are specific to a religion in a disrespectful way, YOU WILL BE PROBED.

Has ZERO to do with politics.

It’s simply not that hard folks. Be respectful as I hope you are at the table while playing these wonderful games.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Calling someone stupid is an opinion?? Using religious words in a disrespectful way is an opinion, really? Anyone can say they think a specific thing is stupid. But you don’t call people stupid in this thread. I have no idea what the gently caress you are talking about. Please quote where the probed people expressed an actual opinion.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 21, 2022

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
A roll and Write game in the Twilight Imperium universe was announced today...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2853071/twilight-inscription

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm going to keep using kickstarter because it is a way to keep supporting various creators I want to support while still getting a product I want from them but it's fine if others do not want to support them. Hopefully the volatility and continued failure of crypto/nft/blockchain/etc will drive kickstarter to distance itself from that stuff and, if not, hopefully the creators I support will learn about and move to another more viable platform that isn't going to be tied to that stuff.

Wouldn't mind seeing some proper competitors, I think it was only indiegogo for a while and idk if indiegogo was ever used for any tabletop stuff. Gamefound seems to be the up-and-coming option but idk how big it is. I imagine it can't be all that comparable to kickstarter as a whole but I don't know how it compares to kickstarter as far as just the tabletop stuff goes.

With all that aside, I noticed the other day that an expansion for Quirky Circuits came out.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/336059

Quirky Circuits is a cooperative game where players are working together to program a robot to perform a task but they can't openly communicate with one another outside of a couple of basic gestures.

The original game reviewed well enough. I'd pick up the expansion but I personally haven't even played my copy of the original yet (what else is new tho lol, I barely play anything I own) and it's not exactly a game you can play solo because the whole "game" part is about trying to communicate with other players what needs to be done without talking to them. Doing that by yourself would just be cheating lol

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Leraika posted:

The gold standard are probably card games, Skull, Regicide, the crew? Hanamikoji is an excellent suggestion. A fake artist goes to New York?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Leraika posted:

Hey, That's My Fish! is compact and can be even more compact if you ditch the box for a bag. Setup is slightly fiddly but after that the game is just "move one of penguins in a straight line (blocked by gaps or other penguins), take the iceberg piece you moved from; most fish wins".

The Crew (both versions) is basically just two set of cards and a couple tokens + rule/mission book. The rule/mission book is the size of the box, but it's easy to just use a digital version on a phone/tablet/laptop (or throw a few button shy games in the box to fill up the empty space). Might be a little bit heavier than you're looking for.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Doing some window shopping at the shops and now I own Ark Nova

hosed up

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Well yeah, if anything you should've ended up with Sagrada

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

djfooboo posted:

Also, I suggest Hanamikoji. Especially the boys love version as a good 1v1.

Hanamikoji was out of print, but a reprint and sequel were recently crowdfunded (yes, on KS, but seemingly before this news broke). Looks like you can 'late pledge' / literal preorder through BackerKit: https://geishas-road.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/397991 which is cool because that means KS gets none of the money.

FirstAidKite posted:

Well yeah, if anything you should've ended up with Sagrada

Or a preorder for Read Window.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mayveena posted:

You call people stupid YOU WILL BE PROBED. Act like a respectful adult. You use words that are specific to a religion in a disrespectful way, YOU WILL BE PROBED.

Has ZERO to do with politics.

It’s simply not that hard folks. Be respectful as I hope you are at the table while playing these wonderful games.

Looks like I better hope no one starts talking about how they think Keyflower is good then.

Also if promotion of KS games is bad then why aren't we boycotting BGG, the main page is just a carousel advertising Kickstarters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aramoro posted:

Also if promotion of KS games is bad then why aren't we boycotting BGG, the main page is just a carousel advertising Kickstarters?

Because BGG is second only to SA for experienced users saying "there's a front page?" I haven't seen it in over a year now, thanks to the script that automatically loads the dashboard instead.