Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hostile V posted:

[sobbing] oh my god she's cutting off her creature comforts so she'll return home to be with him oh gosh my heart

As a rural desert soul whose home is now in the Big City I have a different opinion of the actions here. She made choices based on what she wants from life, it's cruel to take her small comforts away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Monya the Grey

End of chapter 6!

:cry: :glomp:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hostile V posted:

[sobbing] oh my god she's cutting off her creature comforts so she'll return home to be with him oh gosh my heart

I hope not. That seems like a real lovely thing to do.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

readingatwork posted:

I continue to be deeply amused by the unanimously negative reaction Big Nate is getting. We're not stopping until the year is complete though! We're committed damnit! :argh:

Keep posting it. It gets better eventually and nobody ever stops posting objectively garbage "comics" like Dustin so even if it *didn't* get better there's more than enough precedent for posting comics that aren't good.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Monya :)

Garfield

davidspackage posted:

Now, this is interesting. Does this kick off pug week, or wig week?

sorry buddy.......

Heathcliff

wtf

Monty

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 14, 2000)

riderchop fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 21, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bruceski posted:

As a rural desert soul whose home is now in the Big City I have a different opinion of the actions here. She made choices based on what she wants from life, it's cruel to take her small comforts away with it.

I agree. It would be much better flat out talking about what would actually make them happy, as opposed to this Mary Worth-esque meddling.

Also, Cannonball Mary as a nom de piratage slaps.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

If history is any guide, we need her to get mad at Vargo somehow.
Vargo go mansplain something on twitter

e: how to draw, maybe

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I didn't now, a decade from when I started reading this thread, that Prince Valiant would be my favorite comic.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

fondue posted:

I didn't now, a decade from when I started reading this thread, that Prince Valiant would be my favorite comic.

I had always heard Prince Valiant was good, but when I tried to read it in the paper, I never could wrap my head around it. It seemed very boring and was kind of hard to follow. But being able to experience it in this thread I can now understand. It's a fantastic comic that's well written and is often quite funny with a good cast of characters.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Potsticker posted:

I had always heard Prince Valiant was good, but when I tried to read it in the paper, I never could wrap my head around it. It seemed very boring and was kind of hard to follow. But being able to experience it in this thread I can now understand. It's a fantastic comic that's well written and is often quite funny with a good cast of characters.

My newspaper didn't have it, so the only times I saw it was when I went to hang out with a friend after church, since their newspaper had it, but that's no way to read it.

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Shadow Jan. 27-29, 1941

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

catlord posted:

My newspaper didn't have it, so the only times I saw it was when I went to hang out with a friend after church, since their newspaper had it, but that's no way to read it.

In my local paper it wasn't with the other comics. It and doonsbury and-- something else I think were on some other page that was mostly full of article text continued from the front page. Political cartoons (that weren't Doonsbury) were separate from that and the main comics pages too.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Guindon

Gahan

Samovar posted:

I agree. It would be much better flat out talking about what would actually make them happy, as opposed to this Mary Worth-esque meddling.

Also, Cannonball Mary as a nom de piratage slaps.

Hmmm... Cannonball Mary...You might have something there.

Cannonball Mary

Esplanade fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 21, 2022

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/20/02

Brenda Starr 8/2-4/48

Smokey Stover 6/15/47

Everyday Movies 1/24/35

"Come, William, get up. It's time to lie on the beach."

Bonus Ad! W(ake)u(p)-tang ain't nothing to gently caress with.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 21, 2022

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

you're telling me somebody who lives in loving idaville owns a diamond necklace that's worth enough that payign the ransom might be a better idea than just letting it get stolen and using the money saved to buy a new one?

i'm not buying it

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Oh, I'm farther behind than I thought.

... Isn't Idaville a small town out in the middle of nowhere? what the gently caress is somebody who owns something insured for a million dollars doing there

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

fondue posted:

Potsticker posted:

I'm sure I've said this before, but when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s I always wanted to like Prince Valiant but bounced off the seemingly slow pacing and impenetrable backstory. I think reading it on a daily basis, and from the beginning, helps a lot. The pace of the story isn't actually slow at all, but the weekly nature of the strip gives that illusion. I'm amazed Foster was able to put out artwork of this quality even on a weekly basis though. The man was a very talented machine.

Zereth posted:

you're telling me somebody who lives in loving idaville owns a diamond necklace that's worth enough that payign the ransom might be a better idea than just letting it get stolen and using the money saved to buy a new one?

i'm not buying it

Oh, I'm farther behind than I thought.

... Isn't Idaville a small town out in the middle of nowhere? what the gently caress is somebody who owns something insured for a million dollars doing there

Hmm, the only reason I can think of why they'd be there is to set up an insurance scam :thunk:

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 12, 1950)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Esplanade posted:

Cannonball Mary

Oh no the House of Black got to Mary!

You'd think someone named Da'Dad would be looking for campground and motel deals and pointing out points of interest for their epic road trip, not finding flights.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

You'd think someone named Da'Dad would be looking for campground and motel deals and pointing out points of interest for their epic road trip, not finding flights.

It is also very Dad to be as cheap as possible.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 12, 1950)

Relevant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0mVCFr1qIo

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Endless Mike posted:

He a bad dad :mad:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Oh gently caress yeah Pirate Mary Worth!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

There are two types of driving dads: road trip adventurers and max-efficiency death-marchers.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Huxley posted:

There are two types of driving dads: road trip adventurers and max-efficiency death-marchers.

I try very hard to be the first but it's easy to slip into the max-efficiency death-marcher frame of mind. For any naturally max-efficiency dads (or dads at heat) out there, it helps to plan a rough route, look up interesting sites near that route, and then every day pick a handful of sites you want to see. It's okay if it's getting late in the day and you skip such and such waterfall or lighthouse, but make an effort to see at least one interesting thing before lunch and one interesting thing after lunch.

DO: plan short days. Just because you can drive 10 hours at a time while listening to a good audio book doesn't mean that will be fun for everyone else.
DON'T: plan a several day max-length route with a hard deadline at the end. My wife and I drove past a lot of Sweden because I wildly underestimated how long it would take to drive and we didn't have enough buffer time at the end.
DO: consider that everybody has to eat and go to the bathroom, and that might not happen on your schedule. Carry snacks and maybe even piddle packs.
DON'T: plan too far ahead. If you have a hotel booked, you'll kill yourself to get there. If possible, pick a rough goal (e.g. "I will get to San Luis Obispo tonight"). Then, around mid afternoon, judge how likely that is and find a hotel near where you're _actually_ going to wind up.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (July 21, 1934)

Peanuts (April 26, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 21, 1938)

Out Our Way (August 22-24, 1938)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Potsticker posted:

It was the same for me. I think Valiant's strength, as much as the artwork, is the very realized setting and characters and you don't get the full impact of that from reading a single page out of context every week.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Esplanade posted:

Cannonball Mary

Meddle me timbers! I am totally down for the adventures of this pirate lass. :allears:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Huxley posted:

Mine was the latter. 14 hour days with breaks for gas and meals and that was about it unless there was a very specific site to see. If we were lucky, we'd at least take a scenic route rather than a highway.

I played a loooooooot of Game Boy.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Mine was the latter. 14 hour days with breaks for gas and meals and that was about it unless there was a very specific site to see. If we were lucky, we'd at least take a scenic route rather than a highway.

I played a loooooooot of Game Boy.

I'm very much inclined to that. I tried to enforce a strict "no liquids 1 hour before departure; no drinks in the car" rule but gave up when I caught everyone sneaking behind my back. Three girls, we just pee whenever someone yells and every hour in the car takes 90 minutes. It's torture, but only on me so whatever.

My mom's dad took them on a cross-country tour to the west coast full of 10-12 hour days in the car and literally yelled, "the grand canyon is about an hour that way, if we were going!" and just kept on trucking. It's not a happy memory for her, so I try to have some give.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Murdstone posted:

If history is any guide, we need her to get mad at Vargo somehow.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vargo go mansplain something on twitter

e: how to draw, maybe

I actually wound up unfollowing/muting Jules on Twitter because she is just insufferably annoying.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

I love it when the teacher messes with Tillman to trick him into learning, it's the best part of this strip.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

So I guess both these strips are doing "party so we can remind you about the fringe members of the supporting cast" storylines.

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Huxley posted:

I'm very much inclined to that. I tried to enforce a strict "no liquids 1 hour before departure; no drinks in the car" rule but gave up when I caught everyone sneaking behind my back. Three girls, we just pee whenever someone yells and every hour in the car takes 90 minutes. It's torture, but only on me so whatever.

My mom's dad took them on a cross-country tour to the west coast full of 10-12 hour days in the car and literally yelled, "the grand canyon is about an hour that way, if we were going!" and just kept on trucking. It's not a happy memory for her, so I try to have some give.

Mine wasn't quite that bad, but also I was a grumpy kid and probably wouldn't have appreciated the Grand Canyon had we gone that way. I didn't appreciate the Badlands back then.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Mister Sun concludes!

Next time:new adventure!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

readingatwork posted:

I continue to be deeply amused by the unanimously negative reaction Big Nate is getting. We're not stopping until the year is complete though! We're committed damnit! :argh:
I'm surprised at what a little poo poo he is. I don't remember him that way.

It's like how in some Calvin and Hobbes strips now I find some things disturbing, like how just plain mean he is to Susie, or how the interactions with his parents go sometimes, except with Big Nate it's every strip.

Vargo posted:

I actually wound up unfollowing/muting Jules on Twitter because she is just insufferably annoying.
I still follow her but yeah, she is.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Great Scott!

Mary Worth

Selachian posted:

Apparently she was a NYC street artist who picked up Ian while he was drunk. No, really.

Courtesy of the Comics Curmudgeon:

Thanks for hunting that down. That's weird and a little disturbing.

Esplanade posted:

Cannonball Mary

This is delightful! :allears:

The Phantom

Even Phantom wants to just get on with it.

Pooch Cafe

lol

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

lol

Apartment 3-G

I wanted these two to get together, but they don't have to rush into marriage. Well, it's the 70s I guess.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 21, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Practical upbringing (20/1937)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

does Jules think comic book stores are a highly Portland-specific thing and when you go you have to take the opportunity to buy a graphic novel the way you have to try the pizza when you're in NYC and the cheesesteak when you're in Philly?

does Jules think Rusty wouldn't know what a comic is or that there aren't any about cryptids?

is, not to put too fine a point on it, the only difference between Jules and James Allen that she's got the correct basic political attitude and does that, while a good thing in and of itself, not kind of confirm the right-wing narrative that that's the only thing that counts in getting an artistic job these days, because the selling point of New Mark Trail sure as gently caress isn't her stellar storytelling ability or breathtakingly detailed artwork?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

L-Innsikt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The new Mark Trail universe is comically small with how often the same characters cycle in. This is the 3rd time with Bee Sharp? ... out of 4? Of course that's true with Cricket too. I can only hope Daggers shows up tomorrow.

Kinda sad Phantom has progressed to just sucking. For the love of God make a clean break with the narrative, this is murder.

Please always post Cannonball Mary Worth :allears:

quote:

is, not to put too fine a point on it, the only difference between Jules and James Allen that she's got the correct basic political attitude and does that, while a good thing in and of itself, not kind of confirm the right-wing narrative that that's the only thing that counts in getting an artistic job these days, because the selling point of New Mark Trail sure as gently caress isn't her stellar storytelling ability or breathtakingly detailed artwork?

For somebody who proudly boasted that "Mark Trail is a handsome man" and we were gonna get loads of dude fan service because Jules is a hip young lady, we haven't actually seen any of that since the jokes in the first week of strips.

At this point I think a lot of classic comic IP pick ups by new artists are supremely cynical "I can make some pocket change for half a day of effort a month" side hustles. I know newspaper comics aren't exactly THE BIG MONEY but Trail and Nancy are some pretty egregious trend setters.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 21, 2022