Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Humalong posted:

We often discuss how poorly elements of the show have aged and how direly under-utilized a lot of characters were (Jenny Calendar, Mr. Trick, Oz, Riley, and honestly Lorne imo). All of them loving love Cordelia, if not her hair post-season 2 of Angel, and Gunn. Can't wait to get to the Connor sex and get their reactions. Reception of Buffy characters is a bit more mixed overall. Everyone loved Spike until "Seeing Red" happened, most of them found Xander extremely awful up until season 5, and a few of them observed that Willow underwent some sort of personality flip at some point in season 4 or 5 and became really annoying.

i agree with a lot of this.

lorne is woven into the show way better before he becomes a main cast member, because at that point the show has shrunk to have a very small world and he doesn't have his demon bar, so he's just sort of hanging around. they keep getting rid of all the characters who widen the world in angel, for some reason, and focus on silly nonsense like fred, who i wish never joined the show really.

willow's change mostly happened in s5 i think. they were planting seeds since all the way back in s2 but there comes a point where her arrogance is no longer an endearing contrast to her usual kindness and the kindness starts to feel fake. goes along with her friendships fading into the background of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
To be fair, kindness and friendship are really lame and boring activities compared to doing magic. If I hate magic power I'd just use the magic to make kindness spells and magic friends.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Woah what is this Fred slander.

Fred owns.

Except for KARRUMPTION. That poo poo can die in a fire. But Lorne also did that so it's not a Fred exclusive problem.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Oh I guess I should share my own history with the shows, too.

My first exposure to Buffy was Marco in the Animorphs books talking about how he taped every episode, but I was 7 or 8 and too young to really be allowed to watch TV shows that weren't Nick, Jr. The first episode of Buffy I ever saw was "Once More" which, uh, is definitely an interesting first episode. After that I got to watch a few episodes of season 6 as they aired, but I had to record them because I went to my dad's on Tuesday nights and his new wife definitely would not allow that show in her house. Then "Seeing Red" aired and a friend of my mom's warned her about it and I wasn't allowed to watch the show any more. I ended up getting the DVD sets slowly from like 2002-2004 (after that same friend of my mom's assured her the earlier seasons did not include attempted rape) and watching the entire show that way. I didn't watch Angel until later on when I think I found the first two seasons sold as a bundle at Ross or somewhere you wouldn't expect to find DVDs of a cult show from the early 2000s.

I've watched through Buffy in its entirety probably 4 times now in my life. At 13, 18, 22, and now at 30-31. At 13 I thought Xander was the coolest and wanted to be like him, at 18 I desperately hoped I was nothing like him, and at 22 I realized I was floating from dead end to dead end like he did in season 4. I got to avoid perpetuating most of the sexism he was written to spew, at least.

My Buffy ranking is 3>2>4>5>1>7>6, but I have an extreme soft spot for season 1. They were the only DVDs I had for about a year and I wore them out.

Angel I've only watched all the way through twice and I'm working on the third. I am solidly in the camp of "5 is the best, 1 and 2 are fine, 3 and 4 have good moments but a lot of bad." I hate Connor's character, I hated Justine, Holtz was superbly acted but kind of flat as a character, I thought Kate was a wet blanket most of the times she showed up and then she just kind of disappeared (I know her actress got a role on Law and Order). Wow they really liked getting rid of secondary characters on Angel.

I could ramble on about these shows for way too long so I'll stop here for now.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

RIP Merl.

And to wherever the Groosalug went I hope it was ok.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

"Buffy vs. Dracula"

i will never forget the blank incomprehension I felt at the end of this episode my first time seeing it via FX rerun. I was all "what the flying gently caress did I miss? Did they skip episodes?!" I had no internet at the time, I couldn't just hop on Google or Reddit and ask people about this "sister" who just appeared.

But other than that fond memory, this episode blew. It's like a bad self-parody. For a jokey episode, none of the jokes really landed for me. About all I can take away from it is Giles and Buffy being great.

I had forgotten Dawn had a crush on Xander in S5. I guess there is at least a vague precedent for her hooking up with Xander in thc comics. Still dumb but not as out of left field as I thought. Granted, she had a crush on Spike next season, I remember that. I'm also pretty sure she has one of her legit awesome moments in S7 when she threatens Spike because of what he did to Buffy.

"No Place Like Home"

Oh man, Joyce is getting worse. Every time I see it I get this sick lurching feeling in my stomach.
The debut of my favorite Big Bad, and what a debut it was.
Dawn's identity revealed and I think it's from here Buffy and Dawn's relationship gets so much more heartwarming.

sad question
May 30, 2020

I recall thinking that Xander mouthing off to Dracula and immediately getting Renfielded was funny.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

"Buffy vs. Dracula"
I had forgotten Dawn had a crush on Xander in S5. I guess there is at least a vague precedent for her hooking up with Xander in thc comics. Still dumb but not as out of left field as I thought. Granted, she had a crush on Spike next season, I remember that. I'm also pretty sure she has one of her legit awesome moments in S7 when she threatens Spike because of what he did to Buffy.

"No Place Like Home"

Oh man, Joyce is getting worse. Every time I see it I get this sick lurching feeling in my stomach.
The debut of my favorite Big Bad, and what a debut it was.
Dawn's identity revealed and I think it's from here Buffy and Dawn's relationship gets so much more heartwarming.

Dawn's crush on Spike is in S5 also, it's all pretty minor stuff. She does become a lot better after S5, once the whole key and extreme teen angst thing is out of the way.

S5 is depressing. It was maybe my favourite when I was younger, I like Glory as a villain and it's consistent in terms of episode quality. There aren't many stinkers along the way, just one or two, but Buffy just gets pummelled with bad news all season and I think it's probably more depressing than S6 because even though s6 is 'dark!!', the problems are basically young adult problems which can and will be overcome with time. S5 is alot more well, life for Buffy is just going to be poo poo now. Fun's over.

As for Buffy vs Dracula - I think it's a decent episode, and a good idea, but yeah probably not as funny as it could have been. The guy they got to play Dracula doesn't work for me.

You know the episode 'superstar' with johnathan - I get the impression people don't know what to make of it, or think it's a weird episode, when it's another obvious spoof. It's not exactly the same thing as Buffy vs Dracula but I think it's a more successful show making fun of itself sort of episode. Better comedy throughout, since the joke is just that everyone is mostly the same except Jonathan is the main character.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

NikkolasKing posted:

I had forgotten Dawn had a crush on Xander in S5. I guess there is at least a vague precedent for her hooking up with Xander in thc comics. Still dumb but not as out of left field as I thought.
I'll approach this from the angle of someone who never read the comics.

There's a few more scenes I can name off hand that contribute to the idea. The best of which is after Dawn mistakenly believes she's one of the potential Slayers, but it's really the other girl. "You're not special. You're extraordinary."

Then there's the stuff that's less heartwarming. The way Xander's jaw drops seeing her dance before he realizes who it is (maybe you should stop hanging out at the club that lets in highschoolers, dude), being a little upset by her crushing on the guy with the jacket in Him. And then there's stuff that doesn't scan as meaningful at first but makes sense if you know what happens. When he's staring at Anya, doing her money dance next to Dawn, and whispers, "I'm going to marry that girl," Buffy initially misinterprets him as referring to Dawn. Buffy is, coincidentally, a known clairvoyant.

Then there's the whole scene where Buffy orders him to kidnap her and bring her to safety and she nonchalantly stuns him, grabs the wheel, and heads right back home. I mean, that's not really pertinent as evidence, but it made me crush on Dawn a little, and Xander was actually there. She really is consistently one of the best parts of season 7.

Not sure if I will ever bother with comics, I don't really have a horse in that race, but knowing that it's a thing that happens, well, it doesn't feel too shocking.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'll approach this from the angle of someone who never read the comics.

There's a few more scenes I can name off hand that contribute to the idea. The best of which is after Dawn mistakenly believes she's one of the potential Slayers, but it's really the other girl. "You're not special. You're extraordinary."

Then there's the stuff that's less heartwarming. The way Xander's jaw drops seeing her dance before he realizes who it is (maybe you should stop hanging out at the club that lets in highschoolers, dude), being a little upset by her crushing on the guy with the jacket in Him. And then there's stuff that doesn't scan as meaningful at first but makes sense if you know what happens. When he's staring at Anya, doing her money dance next to Dawn, and whispers, "I'm going to marry that girl," Buffy initially misinterprets him as referring to Dawn. Buffy is, coincidentally, a known clairvoyant.

Then there's the whole scene where Buffy orders him to kidnap her and bring her to safety and she nonchalantly stuns him, grabs the wheel, and heads right back home. I mean, that's not really pertinent as evidence, but it made me crush on Dawn a little, and Xander was actually there. She really is consistently one of the best parts of season 7.

Not sure if I will ever bother with comics, I don't really have a horse in that race, but knowing that it's a thing that happens, well, it doesn't feel too shocking.

Very true. Centaur Dawn in the comics is way more absurd than this now I am reminded of all these facts which had completely slipped my mind.

"Fool for Love"

I think maybe Spike is simply a victim of inconsistent writing or contrasting interpretations by writers. The one here who sees Buffy crying and comforts her but not in an overly forceful or sexual way, the intentional "you're beneath me" between the girl William liked and Buffy, all points to having our hearts bleed for him But they shouldn't. The reason Buffy says he's beneath her is because he's a murderer. He's still the ame person he was when he killed a bunch of people and he still relishes it in this very episode. I dunno, maybe he's just too comple a character for my brain to process but it really does feel like there's a tug of war between" feel bad for Spike" and "he's a monster." And I know for a fact some writers did think Soulless Spike was 100% evil - I got some quotes on it in one of my Buffy books where it was brought up discussing the aftermath of Seeing Red. (it was nuclear, apparently)

And very next episode our first shock of Spike is him sniffing her sweater and being a manipulative shitbag to Riley. "I was with her last night, I know about her mom being sick, why didn't she tell you?"

Riley gets a lot of poo poo from the fandom but I made a post on r/Buffy a few weeks away about how he's easily the least manipulative of the Scoobies unless we count Dawn.

"Into the Woods"

And thee goes Riley.. Am I crazy or does he come back at least once and he's engaged with someone? I jus want the poor plain ol' white meat babyface of the Buffyverse to have a happy ending.

But man, roomtone definitely have a point about S5 being depressing as hell. The Dawn reveal, her mom with a brain tumor, Riley leaving, and then there's "The Body" - this is the kind of thing which destroyed our girl in Becoming Pt 2. I still remember S6 being sadder though because everyone is imploding and falling apart in that season. Absolutely everyone.

On the bright side, Xander earned a lot of respect from me for this actions in this episode. Overall he's been excellent this season.

Also Ben is a character who doesn't get brought up much in my experience. His actor is really good I think and I remember enjoying his dynamic with Dawn. They are after all both just people, good people trying to live their own lives, but their proximity to her makes that all but impossible. Ben hasn't done much yet where I'm at, just thought I'd leave this little comment to see what others thought.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
xander finally became good. working on himself, no major judgmental or jealous episodes for a whole year. he's downright likeable. even though i think he misread the buffy/riley relationship, because he probably understood riley's insecurity having been there himself, he confronted buffy about it in a good way - not judging her, just saying that even if you're angry right now, he'll be gone forever if you don't go now so make sure you know what you want. then his scene with anya at the end is one of his best moments.

i think xander's likeability is directly linked with how long his hair is, over the course of the show. shame he got it so short for s6.

and yeah riley shows up again.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ben is by far the worst of all of Buffy's love interests.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
As I see it Spike loves Buffy, and he wants to be a good person for her sake. And because of his unique turn as a vampire he is able to come close. But he is still lacking a soul, and no matter how hard he may try he can't break free from his nature.
It also makes sense that his character is a bit inconsistent. with all the different writers on the show, and I doubt Whedon or anyone else ever sat down and thought about how exactly he works.

NikkolasKing posted:

Riley gets a lot of poo poo from the fandom but I made a post on r/Buffy a few weeks away about how he's easily the least manipulative of the Scoobies unless we count Dawn.

I think that is pretty normal, fandom or at least the vocal part never likes the vanilla relationships, Riley is underrated and for sure the best option for anyone wanting a serious relationship. But he's not exactly Spike or Angel.
It's like Veronica Mars, who ships her with Piz even though he is the sensible option?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Oasx posted:

As I see it Spike loves Buffy, and he wants to be a good person for her sake. And because of his unique turn as a vampire he is able to come close. But he is still lacking a soul, and no matter how hard he may try he can't break free from his nature.
It also makes sense that his character is a bit inconsistent. with all the different writers on the show, and I doubt Whedon or anyone else ever sat down and thought about how exactly he works.

I think that is pretty normal, fandom or at least the vocal part never likes the vanilla relationships, Riley is underrated and for sure the best option for anyone wanting a serious relationship. But he's not exactly Spike or Angel.
It's like Veronica Mars, who ships her with Piz even though he is the sensible option?

I never shipped Veronica with Piz. I shipped her with Mac because I'm a weird slashy weirdo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Everyone posted:

I never shipped Veronica with Piz. I shipped her with Mac because I'm a weird slashy weirdo.

Nobody shipped Veronica with Piz.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Oasx posted:

I dunno. The kind of guy who cheats on you with vampire whores, then sets an ultimatum for you instead of, I dunno, APOLOGIZING on bended knee isn't a good choice either.

I just can't think of Riley as a nice guy. That sort of thing is really lovely to do and risky, considering he could have been turned and then Buffy would have had to stake him, if lucky, or if not, she would have invited him into her home and he may have killed Dawn or her.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

"Fool for Love"

I think maybe Spike is simply a victim of inconsistent writing or contrasting interpretations by writers. The one here who sees Buffy crying and comforts her but not in an overly forceful or sexual way, the intentional "you're beneath me" between the girl William liked and Buffy, all points to having our hearts bleed for him But they shouldn't. The reason Buffy says he's beneath her is because he's a murderer. He's still the ame person he was when he killed a bunch of people and he still relishes it in this very episode. I dunno, maybe he's just too comple a character for my brain to process but it really does feel like there's a tug of war between" feel bad for Spike" and "he's a monster." And I know for a fact some writers did think Soulless Spike was 100% evil - I got some quotes on it in one of my Buffy books where it was brought up discussing the aftermath of Seeing Red. (it was nuclear, apparently)

I think this was around the time he was saying he'd changed and a part of me often wonders how different it would have been had Buffy given him a chance. I know she can't because then it flies into the logic of the show. Vampires with no soul = BAD, must be staked and Joss was quite clear in Seeing Red that in his mythos, this sticks no matter what. But the inconsistent writing really does make the think... had he had Buffy guiding him positively, wouldn't it have worked? I mean, in the comics, he loses his soul for a bit and is still doing good and still accepts it back instead of just saying deuces and being a prick again.

I want to hear about the aftermath of Seeing Red.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Pan Dulce posted:

I mean, in the comics, he loses his soul for a bit and is still doing good and still accepts it back instead of just saying deuces and being a prick again.

sounded interesting so i looked up spike comic lose soul and found a series all about him

quote:

On his own adventure, Spike is forced to examine the man he once was, the man he is now, and the man he still hopes to become. As master of a steampunk ship filled with loyal, oversized alien cockroaches, Spike embarks on a journey to the dark side of the moon

roomtone fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 22, 2022

sad question
May 30, 2020

That's funny but what is the real comic about?

Oh no

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Yeah... I never said they were GOOD.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pan Dulce posted:

I think this was around the time he was saying he'd changed and a part of me often wonders how different it would have been had Buffy given him a chance. I know she can't because then it flies into the logic of the show. Vampires with no soul = BAD, must be staked and Joss was quite clear in Seeing Red that in his mythos, this sticks no matter what. But the inconsistent writing really does make the think... had he had Buffy guiding him positively, wouldn't it have worked? I mean, in the comics, he loses his soul for a bit and is still doing good and still accepts it back instead of just saying deuces and being a prick again.

There's probably more but this was what I read a week or two ago in a chapter on the soul in Buffy

quote:

On May 7, 2002, the Buffy episode titled "Seeing Red" aired on the UPN network. In this episode - as anyone familiar with the Buffy series will certainly tainly recall - Spike attempted to rape Buffy on the floor of her bathroom. The reaction among viewers was immediate and (rightfully) intense; fans discussed the episode on-line at length, voicing opinions and reactions which ran the gamut from absolute condemnation of Spike to sympathetic defense of him, with some surprisingly harsh criticisms of the Slayer herself sprinkled in as well.

The episode hit a nerve with viewers and fans. It hit a nerve with the series creator and the series writers too; reflecting on the episode and on the storyline line which continued after Spike's attempted rape of Buffy, series writers Jane Espenson and David Fury voiced their views. Espenson said she was concerned about the sexual assault scene because it would be "very hard to come back from" for Spike, who was one of her favorite characters. David Fury was vocal in his strong reservations about the relationship between Buffy and Spike after Spike's assault on her. Fury also appeared a bit disgusted with fans who wished to see Buffy and Spike reconcile: "Never trust your attempted rapist," he stated in 2003 on DavidFury.net (Espenson and Fury, quoted in Fowler).

The episode aired several years ago, but it continues to generate pages of discussion (on-line and in books), centering around the questions raised by Spike's assault. Many of those questions address the soul,' especially Spike's lack of one and his gaining of one after the rape attempt. Did the rape attempt "prove" that Spike was evil at that point? Did Spike attempt this horrific act because he lacked a soul? "Seeing Red" brought the question of the soul in Buffy to the forefront in a way that had not been achieved on the show prior.
. The Truth of Buffy: Essays on Fiction Illuminating Reality (Kindle Locations 377-379). Kindle Edition.

I can't find it now but I'm positive there's a comment somewhere in this book or my other one about Spike being evil by one of the writers themselves..... Oh well. People are of course allowed to interpret art however they please, but it is helpful to know the intent of the writers.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Pan Dulce posted:

Not well enough. Thinking it through Spike (and really all soulless vampires) is a being with a kind of "reversed conscience." He doesn't feel good when he does good. He doesn't get a warm fuzzy when being kind. If anything it likely feels wrong to him, maybe like someone might feel in having sex outside their sexual orientation. He can push himself to do it, but it's not something that will ever come naturally to him. He enjoys causing pain and fear. It's why he was so pleased in Season 4 that he could hurt demons, because he finally got be the vicious predator that he was supposed to be again after the Initiative neutered him with the chip.

That all said, one big difference between Spike and almost all other vampires is that he spent a good while building relationships with humans without using them as prey due to the chip. So he gets an indirect enjoyment from helping these specific people to some degree. In the end though, he's still a monster, still a demon, which is why he eventually attempts to rape Buffy.

In the aftermath of that because he values what he gained from his relationship with the Scooby Gang and Buffy, he decides to change himself on an elemental level. He seeks out the restoration of his soul so he can actually feel and return kindness and affection.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I think the attempted rape was a mistake to include in the show because you shouldn't spend 2 seasons developing someone as the male lead and 90% of the audience's favourite character, portray them as emotionally insightful, increasingly considerate, and then nuke the character because you want to re-establish what by that point in the show is completely muddled lore about what having no soul means.

The way it continues on, with Spike essentially becoming someone else in lore terms (since every other vampire is a different person with vs without a soul), doesn't retroactively justify it being there. For all purposes, the Spike in S7 did not try to rape Buffy. But they try to have their cake and eat it by also making the Spike in S7 almost exactly the same character as he was before, just 'good' now, slate wiped clean. That's not dealing with the consequences of sexual assault, it's papering them over. So it doesn't even work on its own terms.

So they ruin a character who is doing a lot to keep the show alive, by going way too far to make a dumb point, and then use magic to avoid dealing with it. Not good stuff. I don't blame people for mostly choosing to ignore it.

And I like s6. I just don't like this bit.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 23, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Man, I dunno, Spike spends a huge amount of Season 6 being depicted as a hugely toxic piece of poo poo. He's a liar, he's controlling, he undermines Buffy's interests.

I don't doubt that he loves her, and he thinks he can support her, but his love is a possessive toxic love. Dead Things, Smashed, Older and Further Away, As You Were... his behaviour is a consistent thread throughout the season. Seeing Red doesn't come out of nowhere.

That people like this are lovable, and audiences can forgive this behaviour -- I get it, but in the end the signs were there.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Personally I think the signs were all there where I'm at in Season 5.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Personally I think the signs were all there where I'm at in Season 5.

His treatment of Harmony? Yeah, absolutely.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I thought about that - he does have some episodes of total sleaze in s6. i did basically say his development in s5 and 6 was consistently towards being good but yeah, it's not true. i do selectively forget certain bits at times, and have watched smashed/wrecked maybe twice maximum because i hate the willow crap in those.

in s5 he's still trying to get the chip out, then kidnapping a bunch of women to make them love him, but he develops after that. after Crush (5x14) to once more with feeling, he's almost entirely heroic and decent, if you can forgive the robot thing. then from smashed to dead things they go toxic with him for a bit, but it's still evened out by self-awareness and at least attempting to respect boundaries. buffy dumps him and he's nice again for a while. his crimes and bad behaviour are getting less and less severe, his good side coming out more frequently. it's a bumpy road but it feels worth following. then, rapist.

there's a lot of veering left and right with spike because the writers didn't agree, maybe even with themselves, on whether he was at core a piece of poo poo. considering where he started in s2, or even s4 when he joins the main cast, the trend is obviously towards being a good person. that's what the audience was responding to. in seeing red they snapped way too hard back the other way and crashed.

the way the real world was, is, you can't just make the fan favourite a rapist and expect people to still be invested. killing people, etc, whatever, in genre fiction you can move on from that - but sexual assault is one thing which you should just stay away from without a really good reason and i don't think they had one other than to hammer in that all that good guy stuff was manipulation (even when buffy was dead, or when he protected dawn from glory, left flowers for joyce with no card etc?) because he's a vampire. your fault for liking the guy we told you to like, audience.

like i said there's a version of this which deals with it afterwards, because if you insist on getting REAL with things, rapists aren't demons, they're people. the soul thing is irrelevant. i don't think that would good entertainment in this context, but it would at least be a commitment to the character. instead they purify him with a soul, so you/the show can say he's not responsible because there's room for that opinion in the lore, and they want to salvage spike because he's so popular.

i'm not saying the attempted rape is out of character for spike, you can go along and point to various less severe precedents, but that he was a major project of character development which this takes a big poo poo on. yeah he continues to be lovely at times, maybe he WOULD do this, but it's making a character specifically a rapist, especially after so much rehab already, is a hard red line which i don't think was good for the show and was totally unnecessary.

so it ends up sort of pointless, for how much damage it does. spike could've been prompted to go and get a soul for any number of reasons but they went with the thing that will repulse most of his fanbase. it feels stubborn and nasty.

would've shortened this, it's rambling, but i got to go

roomtone fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 23, 2022

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Somewhat surprised no one mentioned it yet, but that episode really hosed with James. He's talked about curling up in the fetal position between takes, or about when he was getting ready to do that scene, he got so tensed up that he audibly popped an old whiplash injury and collapsed. He says that it serves a narrative purpose and defends it on those grounds, but I generally get the feeling that he needs to believe that to justify going through it.

So.

The writers were divided on it, with quite a few hating it, it seriously hosed up one of the performers involved, the fans hated it---seems like maybe it wasn't the best idea, but what the gently caress do I know.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

roomtone posted:

in s5 he's still trying to get the chip out, then kidnapping a bunch of women to make them love him, but he develops after that. after Crush (5x14) to once more with feeling, he's almost entirely heroic and decent, if you can forgive the robot thing. then from smashed to dead things they go toxic with him for a bit, but it's still evened out by self-awareness and at least attempting to respect boundaries. buffy dumps him and he's nice again for a while. his crimes and bad behaviour are getting less and less severe, his good side coming out more frequently. it's a bumpy road but it feels worth following. then, rapist.

Even after Dead Things, you've got Spike being a WMD trader in As You Were, and his attempts to split Buffy off from the group so he can continue to isolate her in Older And Far Away, low key attempts to get Buffy jealous in Hell's Bells...

Because, you know, it's a plot about dating a dude who's super charming and sometimes really great, but sometimes also a total piece of poo poo -- and it's about how even though he can be super nice sometimes it doesn't really stop the fact that he's a bad guy with a long, long history of treating women really really badly. Making an audience like the character and want to believe that he can change is part of that seduction; it puts you in Buffy's shoes. But it still speaks to, IMO, a fundamental truth about life: don't date chronic abusers, and don't trust people whose change is predicated on maintaining your love -- that's a deeply conditional love. They're essentially saying that they'll be a good person because you love them, as long as you love them.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i don't disagree with your main point.

some stuff i don't think is quite right - his deal with the demon eggs has nothing to do with buffy, and him showing up at the wedding to see if she gets jealous doesn't read as toxic to me because they actually have a good conversation about it for once where they laugh and move on. it's petty, pretty sad, but i don't think it's a real attempt at manipulation like he was doing before. i think they intentionally tone down his manipulation just for the rug pull effect in seeing red.

but that's all just detail, in general yes they do put spike in the role of bad boyfriend in season 6. that's his main purpose for the bulk of the season. he's kind to her one minute then trying to manipulate her the next. it means they need to have him regress from the back half of s5 and early s6, but people do regress so it's not a problem, like i said i mostly enjoy s6. spike was good before this because he believed he never had a chance so there was no point in trying to manipulate her. once he knows he does have a chance, after once more with feeling, his worst instincts start coming out all over the place to keep that chance alive, and that's what kills it.

it's really just specifically the attempted rape that i don't think they should have put in there. it's too ugly, in a season which already has plenty ugly, even though it is something he would plausibly do. they could've done something else, that's all.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 25, 2022

sad question
May 30, 2020

Remember when he played poker with demons but with kittens instead of money

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Dawgstar posted:

Nobody shipped Veronica with Piz.

I didn't so much ship Veronica with Piz and I didn't like the Veronica/Logan relationship. And I do think the movie did Piz dirty, though not as dirty as what the Hulu season did to Logan.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Veronica Mars is one of those shows which gets compared with Buffy semi frequently but I never watched it and know nothing about it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

NikkolasKing posted:

Veronica Mars is one of those shows which gets compared with Buffy semi frequently but I never watched it and know nothing about it.

Veronica Mars is very good, you should give it a shot.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

NikkolasKing posted:

While there are obviously differences, it's also definitely fair to say that VM was a spiritual successor to Buffy. Whedon was so enamored with VM that he even made a guest appearance in the second season. Plus, Jenny Owen Youngs hosted a recap podcast about both of them!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I started watching VM because Joss Whedon called it the best show on tv, before that I thought the concept sounded lame.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

NikkolasKing posted:

It makes sense people say that, though they're extremely different genres. VM is a detective noir without any supernatural or scifi elements, but it centers a precocious blonde teenager in a small CA town trying to juggle a normal HS life with a dangerous secondary career. Also with lots of self-aware, genre-savvy humor. I'd elevator-pitch it as, "what if BtVS was actually Brick?"

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I got into this show last year, on season 6 now. I knew a lot of the discourse around it, but I'm honestly kind of shocked that even in the day people didn't recognize Xander was one of the most vile people on the show, and I'm not even talking about the more 'subtle' toxic nice guy poo poo.

The whole stuff with Angel. Like the dude literally condemns an innocent man to Hell because he's jealous of them. Holy loving poo poo *what*. Unless I'm misremembering that second season finale, he deliberately withholds from Buffy that Willow has a plan to save Angel and stop the portal and that Buffy just needs to stall and instead tells Buffy that Willow said to gently caress him up and forces Buffy to kill the man she loves and drat an innocent person to Hell.

Like holy loving poo poo what.

Like even by the standards of the 90s this feels wildly beyond the pall hosed up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

I highly recommend you watch it. And talk about it. Here. In TV IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I wil def check it out sometime. Right now though I just ordered all of Xena on DVD because I was looking at it and the person who sold it made me a special offer and I'm one of those "oh poo poo it's a deal/sale, I HAVE to buy it now!" people.