Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

GoT season 8 unpopular opinion: I thought the bottle episode and the final episode were pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

mind the walrus posted:

Bill Hicks is overrated as balls but his bit on marketing was on-point.

I'm so glad he died young because I absolutely do not want to know how he would be now.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I was a little surprised to find out GRRM is just some rear end in a top hat from New Jersey, just like me.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's my unpopular GoT opinion: I didn't watch it. It's unpopular in the sense that not many people share it, I don't really experience any opposition to it

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

I was a little surprised to find out GRRM is just some rear end in a top hat from New Jersey, just like me.

Everyone is just some rear end in a top hat from somewhere.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

McCracAttack posted:

Everyone is just some rear end in a top hat from somewhere.

Be that as it may, please don't underestimate just how big of an rear end in a top hat you have to be to be from New Jersey.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

some plague rats posted:

Here's my unpopular GoT opinion: I didn't watch it. It's unpopular in the sense that not many people share it, I don't really experience any opposition to it

That used to be one you'd get opposition to in the sense people would say that you have to watch it, but that stopped eventually.

Weirdly the only show I remember I had people outright get mad at me for not watching it was Archer.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Boba Pearl posted:

My grandfather got a laugh, and said the ones with those little armrests would normally belong to like a secretary or school official or some other professional that was on the phone constantly, and because they were on the phone constantly they had the skills to get almost anything done like magic.

e: I actually had to ask him when it was first posted, because didn't entirely realize that it was a phone from the thumbnail in the tweet.

Buy gramps a forums account

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

Be that as it may, please don't underestimate just how big of an rear end in a top hat you have to be to be from New Jersey.

:hmmyes:

Philly and NYC produce some really impressive assholes, but NJ produces loving assholes. Massachusetts is the only state that can compete pound for pound. It's no surprise Boston is full of NJ transplants.

ultrafilter posted:

I'm so glad he died young because I absolutely do not want to know how he would be now.

He would absolutely be on Twitter and regardless of where on the political spectrum he'd ultimately fall, he'd be used as a "cautionary example."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/snopes/status/1516976772948152320

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

grittyreboot posted:

GoT season 8 unpopular opinion: I thought the bottle episode and the final episode were pretty good.

The plot points of season 8 are good, it was just done pooorly.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Boba Pearl posted:

My grandfather got a laugh, and said the ones with those little armrests would normally belong to like a secretary or school official or some other professional that was on the phone constantly, and because they were on the phone constantly they had the skills to get almost anything done like magic.

e: I actually had to ask him when it was first posted, because didn't entirely realize that it was a phone from the thumbnail in the tweet.

wow I didn't know they let young people on this dead gay forum what's next you tell us you don't know what a cassette tape is or why a pencil would be used on it

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Some of us were 11 - 13 and snuck on to read danganronpa.

e: I'm going to assume it's how you rewound tapes when you were a boomerling. (pre-boomer)

e2: Or at least a specific part of the song, like if you wanted to go back 2 songs, but not the whole thing.

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 07:45 on Apr 21, 2022

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

mind the walrus posted:

Philly and NYC produce some really impressive assholes, but NJ produces loving assholes. Massachusetts is the only state that can compete pound for pound. It's no surprise Boston is full of NJ transplants.

I had to deal with like deep red south levels of racism when I lived in NJ. I lived in an area that was home to like 20 of the top 50 CEOs at the time so it was a bunch of rich white pharmaceutical fucks and then the rest of us the blue collared (but also racist as gently caress) people. The N word was thrown around all the time because I think there were 2 black kids in my graduating class and 1 asian and no hispanic kids. We were honkey as gently caress white.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Boba Pearl posted:

e: I'm going to assume it's how you rewound tapes when you were a boomerling. (pre-boomer)

e2: Or at least a specific part of the song, like if you wanted to go back 2 songs, but not the whole thing.

Heh it's actually somewhat amusing to think of someone sitting there rewinding tapes with a pencil. "Well that album was great, now to sit here for an hour getting the tape ready for the next time I want to play it".

(it was for when the tape got eaten, i.e. the player managed to wind it around the capstan or something and pulled out a shitload of tape from the cassette - you would insert a pencil into one of the drive holes on the cassette to manually rewind the tape back in).

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Now tell us what you think we used scotch tape for with cassette tapes (it wasn't for fixing broken tape)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

(it was for when the tape got eaten, i.e. the player managed to wind it around the capstan or something and pulled out a shitload of tape from the cassette - you would insert a pencil into one of the drive holes on the cassette to manually rewind the tape back in).

In case that description's not clear to any small children who may be reading, it was situations like this:

The actual tape has been pulled some way out of the cassette, so you need to wind it back in.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

greazeball posted:

Now tell us what you think we used scotch tape for with cassette tapes (it wasn't for fixing broken tape)

I'd forgotten about doing this. Happy days.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Aramoro posted:

I'd forgotten about doing this. Happy days.

No that was vinyl.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Back in my day if you wanted to double the capacity of digital storage media you would take a hole punch to it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

No that was vinyl.

Judging by my shelves Vinyl days are right now, they are also happy days though.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

Breetai posted:

Back in my day if you wanted to double the capacity of digital storage media you would take a hole punch to it.

I actually have a purpose made device for doing that, it came with a box of C64 and Vic 20 hardware and manuals.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I can no longer tell if you all are doing a bit or not, because I'm trying to imagine a machine spitting out black spaghetti because you plugged it in wrong. Like google says it's true, but I do not understand how this was the epitome of your music technology, and you're still alive today to post on the internet. Like if someone came up to me today and said he uses his horse and buggy to get to work. Or when someone tries to explain why we still need VIM in every linux distro.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Boba Pearl posted:

I can no longer tell if you all are doing a bit or not, because I'm trying to imagine a machine spitting out black spaghetti because you plugged it in wrong. Like google says it's true, but I do not understand how this was the epitome of your music technology, and you're still alive today to post on the internet. Like if someone came up to me today and said he uses his horse and buggy to get to work. Or when someone tries to explain why we still need VIM in every linux distro.

https://www.webcommand.net/index.php/2019/07/31/does-anyone-remember-the-floppy-disk-punch-notcher/

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I have no love for cassette tapes but vim is great for quick edits

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Some data centers still have use for magnetic tape.

It can store a lot of data for cheap as long as you don’t need to access it often or on short notice.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Lobok posted:

What a name. It would fit right in with my favourite baseball players.

https://twitter.com/FakeEnormous/status/1410778473338064896

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

From the replies, mods please change my name to Toulouse L'Attack.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

My first computer was a ZV Spectrum and the programs came on a cassette tape that was completely separate so you could use essentially any home cassette player for. The quirk was that the volume of your cassette player mattered and it was different for different cassettes. If I wanted to play Treasure Island Dizzy then I'd need the volume about halfway, if I wanted MiG-25 then full blast.

The people who lived through this built the internet today, the progress is truly staggering.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm Insane Worrier

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

From the replies, mods please change my name to Toulouse L'Attack.

I'm ALDEBARAN NIPPER

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mind the walrus posted:

The most cursed part about this is that I stay logged out of Twitter and usually if I try to read threads it's a safe bet I won't be able to scroll too far before Twitter logins block me. This is healthy and good because it keeps me from going down Twitter holes.
If you click login then x out of the login screen you can keep reading. I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Boba Pearl posted:

Many enterprise backup solutions use chunky cartridges that are basically the same technology inside, just with a less escapey interface.

The last decade of physical technological development has been pretty boring. It's all just the same stuff but smaller. I miss the throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks era of zip disks and LaserDisc

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Aramoro posted:

The people who lived through this built the internet today, the progress is truly staggering.
Honestly I'd prefer to go back to tapes, today's Internet is solidly atrocious.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aramoro posted:

My first computer was a ZV Spectrum and the programs came on a cassette tape that was completely separate so you could use essentially any home cassette player for. The quirk was that the volume of your cassette player mattered and it was different for different cassettes. If I wanted to play Treasure Island Dizzy then I'd need the volume about halfway, if I wanted MiG-25 then full blast.

I had a couple of games where a bit of tape got magnetically damaged so I'd run the tape on one side until it failed then flip it over to grab the unbusted version from the other side.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

The cassette tape unspooling thing was predominantly a crime of the car stereo, leading to another phenomenon you don't see anymore - miles of unspooled cassette tape by the side of the road from people chucking cassettes out the window, which would then be driven over.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Boba Pearl posted:

It's not like tapes got tangled in decks often, it's just a memorable thing for anybody who had to fix their favorite tape. We weren't all carrying pencils just to fix our constantly eaten tapes.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
https://twitter.com/BinAnimals/status/1517072497933443073?s=20&t=HUxg1ANv39ZKZiYKTwheZA

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Boba Pearl posted:

What was the story there anyway? Someone did a posting LP of it before it was translated/available in the West? I’ve seen the “lol Tumblr paywall” videos but never got the full context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Warbird posted:

What was the story there anyway? Someone did a posting LP of it before it was translated/available in the West? I’ve seen the “lol Tumblr paywall” videos but never got the full context.

That was pretty much it. Before it was translated, someone did a full LP with translations, and this was pretty much the only way to experience the game in english on the internet, exclusive to SA (it probably wasn't, but it was the most well-known). Tumblr discovered this, but got real mad when the paywall went up, blocking their access to precious, precious anime murder club. It was pretty funny to see some of the overreactions over :10bux:.