Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

mdemone posted:

While McVeigh sits in jail, before he is even named as a suspect in the bombing, his friend Roger Moore (not that one) from the right-wing gunshow circuit tries to have him bailed out, contacting at least two bail/bond companies.

crack

mdemone posted:

At about the same time, Dr. Louis Jolyon "Jolly" West appears on CNN's Larry King Live, to discuss the 'lone nut' who had bombed the Murrah building.

PING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AramRoston/status/1516776047437664262?t=TKRN7Wn5IFZwglqruEhAcw&s=19

https://twitter.com/hash_tigre/status/1516807308478537737?t=Sc3YA88xPHem4k1dXEuu9g&s=19

I guess CIA analyst wasn't paying enough

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Azathoth posted:

What's the theory on the ATF team staking out the building getting pulled?

My impression was that this whole thing was a bungled sting, if that's the case why have them in place then pull them at the 11th hour?

"them" is not all one group

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I cant even remember specifics but years ago i saw a documentary that basically talked about intelligence agencies being a bunch of highly compartmentalized cells that only vaguely and theoretically worked at a common cause and they would often get in the way of each other in the service of whatever end they were personally carrying out lol and very few people ever had anything close to a full picture of what was happening

Basically controlled chaos

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Riot Bimbo posted:

I cant even remember specifics but years ago i saw a documentary that basically talked about intelligence agencies being a bunch of highly compartmentalized cells that only vaguely and theoretically worked at a common cause and they would often get in the way of each other in the service of whatever end they were personally carrying out lol and very few people ever had anything close to a full picture of what was happening

That's how I feel the CIA works. Just a bunch of individuals and small groups given carte blanche to do whatever crazy poo poo as long as they can justify it as somehow being in line with US strategic interests. This is how you end up with the CIA directors after Dulles not knowing what MK-ULTRA actually involved until it was leaked.

Jolly West is also a good example of this, he was just given a line of CIA credit and told to go nuts, as long as he got results and didn't cause too much blowback.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

mdemone posted:

Around 9pm EST on April 19 1995, Richard Wayne Snell, an associate of residents at Elohim City who had previously plotted to bomb the Murrah building in OKC, is executed in the state of Arkansas.

yeah this stuff'll crack my ping alright

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Riot Bimbo posted:

this is basically the thesis of The Looming Tower, that 9/11 happened because US int and law enforcement agencies are a bunch of egotistical dickwavers who all hate each other and don't share info

an American tradition dating back to Hoover and Dulles being enemies, and earlier too im sure

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Riot Bimbo posted:

Yeah it was called Grand Theft Auto V.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
Dick Snell

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Riot Bimbo posted:

wonder where terror cells learned their organization systems

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Antonymous posted:

yeah this stuff'll crack my ping alright

it's the primo poo poo. I cut my teeth on Oswald but McVeigh is so obviously dirty that it's almost unbelievable

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

my bony fealty posted:

this is basically the thesis of The Looming Tower, that 9/11 happened because US int and law enforcement agencies are a bunch of egotistical dickwavers who all hate each other and don't share info

an American tradition dating back to Hoover and Dulles being enemies, and earlier too im sure

i'm 100% convinced larry wright is operation mockingbird/limited hangout: look at his topics bro its epstein af

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Looming Tower got the Hulu prestige TV treatment

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Riot Bimbo posted:

i wonder about what mk ultra became, and how effective it is. Like, I've seen stuff that indicates one can probably destroy an extant ego and replace it with a custom one, at some cost of time and resources, if the right subject is found. Been over that before.

But I don't *know* and it drives me crazy. Can they unseat just the ego? Can they do some freaky metaphysical poo poo? Like I know this thread isn't the place for that but like, my mind goes there.

Between the destroyed files on MK Ultra and the obvious fact the program wasn't the failure claimed, I really wish I could see the fruit of that labor

everything i've ever seen about mkultra suggests it was an actual failure as a research project. the only exception is more or less jolly west, and my personal theory on it is that mkultra style mad science projects are just what happen if you give people like jolly west access to unlimited funding and resources.

tv was ultimately much more effective at mind control engineering. :nsa:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Does anyone have that Youtube playlist of the news segments with that one investigative journalist who's name escapes me, tia

Endman
May 18, 2010

I think the small scale MK-ULTRA stuff (turning otherwise normal people into killers) was reasonably successful, but that was precisely Jolly Wests area. He also achieved success in inducing psychosis in otherwise mentally healthy individuals.

The problem is that it's a time and resource intensive process to brainwash a killer when you can just use an agent and blame it on someone else.

Inducing psychosis seems to be a much quicker affair though, and very useful in witness tampering. See: Jolly West's visit with Jack Ruby.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Endman posted:

I think the small scale MK-ULTRA stuff (turning otherwise normal people into killers) was reasonably successful, but that was precisely Jolly Wests area. He also achieved success in inducing psychosis in otherwise mentally healthy individuals.

The problem is that it's a time and resource intensive process to brainwash a killer when you can just use an agent and blame it on someone else.

Inducing psychosis seems to be a much quicker affair though, and very useful in witness tampering. See: Jolly West's visit with Jack Ruby.

The collapse of the whitmer kidnapping prosecution is evidence of why you need MK Ultra for effective gladio

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if mkultra didn't successfully let them turn people into password-activated killers then explain sirhan sirhan

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Shear Modulus posted:

if mkultra didn't successfully let them turn people into password-activated killers then explain sirhan sirhan

Sirhan Sirhan didn't actually kill anybody though. His position and weapon made it impossible for him to be the killer.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

cagliostr0 posted:

Sirhan Sirhan didn't actually kill anybody though. His position and weapon made it impossible for him to be the killer.

have you considered the warp in space time created by being named the same name twice?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I am a firm third Sirhan believer

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
it's probably much easier to mk ultra a patsy then a killer, but of course the CIA would want the ability to do both, I've wondered if paddock was an mk ultra patsy, who was induced to bring the guns to the hotel and take the fall after being marked by the actual (multiple) gunmen

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

cagliostr0 posted:

The collapse of the whitmer kidnapping prosecution is evidence of why you need MK Ultra for effective gladio

the state getting over excited about domestic radicals and even running them has been a thing in the US since anarchists were killing heads of state regularly. having prosecutions fall apart is just more common when it's a right wing group.

Gladio tactics would be letting them kidnap Whitmer or at least attempting it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

it totally did let them do that and they are still doing it like the q kid that shot the mob boss recently

Endman
May 18, 2010

The Man who was Thursday is a great little novella about an undercover policeman who joins an anarchist organisation only to find out that almost every other member of the organisation is also an undercover policeman.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Futanari Damacy posted:

Does anyone have that Youtube playlist of the news segments with that one investigative journalist who's name escapes me, tia

:siren: Nathan Baca 👑 :siren:
Not a playlist but start here and you'll find your way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1JPZuRVqUM

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Marzzle posted:

because your coworkers will ensure you get you executed for treason or at least go to jail forever. intel is all about ~*circles of trust and accountability*~

And in exchange. with seniority, you get access to these circles of trust and accountability.

This selects for two types of people, probably in hopes that they’ll balance each other out:

1. People who really, truly, honestly believe in doing what’s best for their country—birth or adopted.
2. People who see it—and everything else—as a game to be played, and manipulated, and won, probably at the expense of others.

eschaton has issued a correction as of 09:46 on Apr 21, 2022

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Manipulators always win out over bog standard idealists lol thats not a real balance

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Well yeah, but would idealists admit that, even to themselves?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Endman posted:

yeah, that's basically my read. the outcome of every 'interesting' mkultra experiment seems to have been little more than driving the subjects past their breaking points. none of the projects achieved any results that a bog standard sex cult couldn't accomplish.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i guess what i'm saying is like that's probably a hierarchical division where the idealist is a useful idiot and it was never a power sharing arrangement or a real competition

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
Explain why Iris Chang, the investigator and author of "The Rape of Nanking: The Forgotten Holocaust of World War II", killed herself

Endman
May 18, 2010

maxwellhill posted:

Explain why Iris Chang, the investigator and author of "The Rape of Nanking: The Forgotten Holocaust of World War II", killed herself

She spent her life researching the most horrible things imaginable and probably got loads of death threats from Japanese nationalists; I can see that driving a person to suicide.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Iris Chang posted:

There are aspects of my experience in Louisville that I will never understand. Deep down I suspect that you may have more answers about this than I do. I can never shake my belief that I was being recruited, and later persecuted, by forces more powerful than I could have imagined. Whether it was the CIA or some other organization I will never know. As long as I am alive, these forces will never stop hounding me.

Days before I left for Louisville I had a deep foreboding about my safety. I sensed suddenly threats to my own life: an eerie feeling that I was being followed in the streets, the white van parked outside my house, damaged mail arriving at my P.O. Box. I believe my detention at Norton Hospital was the government's attempt to discredit me.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Ruh roh

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Endman posted:

She spent her life researching the most horrible things imaginable and probably got loads of death threats from Japanese nationalists; I can see that driving a person to suicide.

there’s so many Nanking denial accounts on Twitter, it’s all you get when you put in ‘iris chang’ or ‘nanking’

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Real hurthling! posted:

it totally did let them do that and they are still doing it like the q kid that shot the mob boss recently

wait what

also what is that thing about "the leg in the combat boot" referenced in the post about OKC?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

January 6 Survivor posted:

wait what

also what is that thing about "the leg in the combat boot" referenced in the post about OKC?

they found a leg in what was left of the Ryder truck, never matched it to anyone (and probably it got taken away pretty quickly)

it's the least knowable thing about the entire bombing, but it's a sensational little tidbit.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

January 6 Survivor posted:

wait what

Personally I think it's Poindexter.

mdemone posted:

it's the least knowable thing about the entire bombing, but it's a sensational little tidbit.

That's the thing though.....it's very knowable! There was a DNA test done and the Oklahoma medical examiner has the results!

eshock has issued a correction as of 15:00 on Apr 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

edit: double post