Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

dupersaurus posted:

Hmmm I was side-eyeing the R6 but RP seems like it’s got most of the good stuff.

How big of a deal is in-body stabilization versus lens stabilization?

Definitely depends on your shooting style and lenses. If you’ve got a lens that’s got great IS maybe you wouldn’t always notice the extra stops, or if you’re always on a tripod, but for use with non-IS lenses it’s pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

Hmmm I was side-eyeing the R6 but RP seems like it’s got most of the good stuff.

How big of a deal is in-body stabilization versus lens stabilization?

For stills IBIS is pointless imo. But that's just me, I'm always on a tripod.

I think a more useful way to compare two bodies is ISO performance. No one shoots at a million ISO but it's handy to get a feel for how the camera handles lovely light.

I guess burst rate is important too if you do action.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

powderific posted:

Fuji makes great stuff and if it appeals to you, I'm not sure I'd spend too much time worrying about it being APS-C. Only thing I'd want to know is if you were dropping enough cash to get into the pro bodies and more exotic telephoto lenses that are mostly the realm of the big three for motorsports stuff (though that's about MFG and not FFvsAPS-C.) And... have you looked at photos you've taken on your borrowed gear to compare? Did you like any of the gear you borrowed?

Canon EOS 750D, 5D Mk III, and a... newer-ish 1D that I'm totally blanking on which one specifically.

Wasn't really a fan of the controls and the menu layout, but I also didn't have much time to actually learn the gear properly so that might be on me. Was very much a case of 'hey come shoot a race/the Petersen with me and I'll loan you a camera' and then got them shoved in my hand. I can't complain about the results but I'm not enough of a pixel peeper or that into color science to really differentiate past 'good enough' when it comes to modern (-ish) cameras.

Definitely not enough cash to get into the pro bodies, but I'm budgeting about ~$2500-3k for a body and prime. Maybe a kit too if there's a good bundle, but that's less important for me. Not going to be dropping any money on telephoto stuff without renting first so that's a concern for Future Me.

I'm not going to make a decision until I actually get a chance to play out with some cameras at Samys (hurray being in LA), but I'm kind of really feeling the Fujis - partly because jesus why are there no full frame cameras with manual-style controls outside of Leica. Just hard to resist reading dpreview or w/e and hearing dozens of people yelling about how Fuji is FINISHED because APS-C is dead and etc etc.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe drop $100 or so on renting a Fuji to try out for a weekend since you've been exclusively in Canon land. But also I definitely wouldn't lose any sleep over Fuji being APS-C if you wind up liking them in-use.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've found myself teaching a yearbook class at a school for five years now. We started with no equipment and no budget, and I probably should have realized that this thread existed years ago, but alas. Through the magic of unpaid child labor plus selling stuff, we now have a bunch of Canon 7D and Rebel T6 bodies, plus a hodgepodge assortment of lenses. Our very first camera was a Rebel T2i that I bought with personal money. I just gifted that camera to a kid, and now I'm considering options for a new personal camera. My school program brings in maybe 2500 a year that I can spend on pretty much whatever. This year's profit will probably go to an F1.4 50mm and an F2.8 70-200 mm lens.

But here I am trying to decide what to buy for myself. I have essentially full access to this stream of equipment that the school buys from fundraising profits. Every year should be another couple of thousand in purchasing power, so any random configuration of affordable lenses or whatever is accessible to me to play around with. If I need to borrow a newish Rebel or oldish semi-pro body, I've got those too. But then, I'm not really a professional photographer in the regular sense. I get paid a good salary to teach kids how to use this stuff, but I don't rely on any of it for my own income. I could buy myself a 7D Mark II, for example, but it wouldn't really offer much to me. A full frame 6D or 5D might provide some options that I couldn't get with the crop frame school cameras, but I don't know that it would matter. Plus the cost is high!

But then again, most of our income stream is from portrait photography. A full frame camera might be useful in that sense. Maybe? I've never used one.

I could buy a 6D, a 5D, a 1D. A type R or whatever. It wouldn't make much sense for me to spend 6 thousand dollars on a camera, I don't think. But honestly, even if I did, I doubt I'd regret it too much. I could fool around during the summer, use it on side gigs if I wanted, and gently caress it - I've got a pension. But could all of the same be said for a 2 or 4 thousand dollar purchase? It seems to be so. I don't know.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'd personally start switching over to mirrorless if you aren't running into any specific issues with the gear you have now that require an immediate upgrade. It's an investment but that's the future for Canon. It sounds like the full utility of an R5 would be lost in your application, so I think the R6 would be good. I have not heard of an RXX camera yet, otherwise I would say wait for that. Canon has all of the important lens ranges in RF mount covered already. Maybe start with lenses until you have a full suite for yearbook stuff then get then sell off the EF mount stuff and get the body last.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
How reliable/well-built are Laowa lenses? I'm about to close a deal on an out of warranty 100mm Macro and wondering about any QC issues I should be looking for.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

litany of gulps posted:

I've found myself teaching a yearbook class at a school for five years now. We started with no equipment and no budget, and I probably should have realized that this thread existed years ago, but alas. Through the magic of unpaid child labor plus selling stuff, we now have a bunch of Canon 7D and Rebel T6 bodies, plus a hodgepodge assortment of lenses. Our very first camera was a Rebel T2i that I bought with personal money. I just gifted that camera to a kid, and now I'm considering options for a new personal camera. My school program brings in maybe 2500 a year that I can spend on pretty much whatever. This year's profit will probably go to an F1.4 50mm and an F2.8 70-200 mm lens.

But here I am trying to decide what to buy for myself. I have essentially full access to this stream of equipment that the school buys from fundraising profits. Every year should be another couple of thousand in purchasing power, so any random configuration of affordable lenses or whatever is accessible to me to play around with. If I need to borrow a newish Rebel or oldish semi-pro body, I've got those too. But then, I'm not really a professional photographer in the regular sense. I get paid a good salary to teach kids how to use this stuff, but I don't rely on any of it for my own income. I could buy myself a 7D Mark II, for example, but it wouldn't really offer much to me. A full frame 6D or 5D might provide some options that I couldn't get with the crop frame school cameras, but I don't know that it would matter. Plus the cost is high!

But then again, most of our income stream is from portrait photography. A full frame camera might be useful in that sense. Maybe? I've never used one.

I could buy a 6D, a 5D, a 1D. A type R or whatever. It wouldn't make much sense for me to spend 6 thousand dollars on a camera, I don't think. But honestly, even if I did, I doubt I'd regret it too much. I could fool around during the summer, use it on side gigs if I wanted, and gently caress it - I've got a pension. But could all of the same be said for a 2 or 4 thousand dollar purchase? It seems to be so. I don't know.

it wasn't until I got a great lens that I realised not much else really mattered

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

seravid posted:

How reliable/well-built are Laowa lenses? I'm about to close a deal on an out of warranty 100mm Macro and wondering about any QC issues I should be looking for.

I own 2 and they are fine, which lens are you getting and what camera are you mounting it on, there are some caveats in specific situations. For instance my older EF mount 100mm macro detects as EF-S on my R5 and needs a firmware update which means sending to China.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

jarlywarly posted:

I own 2 and they are fine, which lens are you getting and what camera are you mounting it on, there are some caveats in specific situations. For instance my older EF mount 100mm macro detects as EF-S on my R5 and needs a firmware update which means sending to China.

It's the 2:1 for Sony mount, so full manual. I don't expect any trouble given its stellar reputation, just covering my bases I suppose. Prices have increased dramatically since I checked last year, otherwise I'd buy it new.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

seravid posted:

It's the 2:1 for Sony mount, so full manual. I don't expect any trouble given its stellar reputation, just covering my bases I suppose. Prices have increased dramatically since I checked last year, otherwise I'd buy it new.

Are you okay with subject/focus acquisition at the capture aperture? With macro that can be a problem, as you'll be often shooting f/11 etc.

Obviously it depends on your use case.

But a lot of even Sony etc shooters buy and adapt the EF version for it's electronic aperture control.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

That's a good point. Before moving to mirrorless, my most photographed (macro) subjects were Salticidae at up to 4:1. Problem is I can't find the Canon version at a reasonable price (unlike the Sony one I'm eyeing) and I'd have to buy said adapter; the combo would cost more than I'm willing to pay.

I'll chance it. Worst case, I'll sell it on ebay. Given current prices, I should even make a small profit.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

seravid posted:

That's a good point. Before moving to mirrorless, my most photographed (macro) subjects were Salticidae at up to 4:1.

Pics? Salticidae is the "let me play you the song of my people" jumping/drumming spider, right

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Hadlock posted:

Pics? Salticidae is the "let me play you the song of my people" jumping/drumming spider, right

It's the Family for all jumping spiders so it includes Maratus volans which is the famous dancing species in the Peacock jumping spider genus.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any "borrow a lens for a few days to see if you like it" program, or would that just be the "30 day refund" program style thing most places have?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there any "borrow a lens for a few days to see if you like it" program, or would that just be the "30 day refund" program style thing most places have?

Rental.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Hadlock posted:

No such fancy species here, I'm afraid, but the ones we've got are still pretty nice.

Very old (and very flawed!) pics, between 2:1 to 4:1

...and new pic (generously cropped) with my current best gear, a 50/1.8 + 26mm of Meike tubes

To bring this back to gear chat: DO NOT BUY Meike tubes. The internal reflections are awful.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Just got this in the mail today. I had 80,000 sony points I've been trying to spend for 2 years and everything was always "out of stock" so when this showed up as available in the rewards program I jumped on it. Pretty excited about it tbh.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I have a Godox V860ii-N (The Nikon one) and wireless trigger package.

If I buy a Fuji wireless trigger can I use the same flash?

I guess my question is about how interchangeable Godox stuff is amongst brands. Thanks, friends.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
So long as everything is on the latest firmware, you can command “other brand” Godox flashes with a trigger.

E.g. my Sony trigger can trigger V860-IIC canon-foot flashes.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Awesome. Thank you.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

hey yall. I'm looking to get an entry level DSLR for taking photos when I'm out hiking. Use cases would typically be landscapes and birds in the area. I've been looking at the Nikon lines since they seem to be a better bang for your buck. The used camera market around me is fairly healthy but I can't seem to figure out which of the D3300, D3400, or D3500 would be best to look at? Online seems to say that D3300 has more features but uses older lenses? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you're hiking, have you considered a mirrorless setup such as one of the Fuji bodies? Potentially lighter weight (though I am certainly ready to believe that the entry level DSLRs have shaved weight down to be comparable) and smaller form factors by eliminating mirrors and prisms, still a good selection of lenses, and since it seems like you're OK with a crop sensor then your options aren't necessarily prohibitively expensive. Lens lineups tend to be really good on the Fuji side, there's a really wide userbase for support, etc.

Just throwing that out there as an option.

I honestly don't know what prices are 1:1 since I haven't looked in a while, but form factor might be a good tradeoff if you're looking to go light for the trail. Something like XE-2 or XT-200 may fit the bill?

I was really pleased with my old XE-1 and XPro-1 (other than the archaic slow viewfinders of the time) and I really only moved to Sony because I had money to throw around at the time and wanted to dabble in full frame. If I hadn't, I would probably still be on the fuji train after I ditched Nikon DSLR myself.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 20, 2022

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

some kinda jackal posted:

If you're hiking, have you considered a mirrorless setup such as one of the Fuji bodies? Potentially lighter weight (though I am certainly ready to believe that the entry level DSLRs have shaved weight down to be comparable) and smaller form factors by eliminating mirrors and prisms, still a good selection of lenses, and since it seems like you're OK with a crop sensor then your options aren't necessarily prohibitively expensive. Lens lineups tend to be really good on the Fuji side, there's a really wide userbase for support, etc.

Just throwing that out there as an option.

I honestly don't know what prices are 1:1 since I haven't looked in a while, but form factor might be a good tradeoff if you're looking to go light for the trail. Something like XE-2 or XT-200 may fit the bill?

I was really pleased with my old XE-1 and XPro-1 (other than the archaic slow viewfinders of the time) and I really only moved to Sony because I had money to throw around at the time and wanted to dabble in full frame. If I hadn't, I would probably still be on the fuji train after I ditched Nikon DSLR myself.

Thanks for the suggestion! The nikon d3400 is just under 1lb in weight which I feel is pretty light. I'm not doing any crazy hiking, would mostly be packed trails with some off-trail walking so weight I don't think is going to be a big issue.

I'm completely new to cameras so honestly I have no idea all the pros/cons of mirrorless or crop sensors, etc.

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
You might also want to look into the d3300, which despite being older is arguably a more capable camera for often less money.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

zombienietzsche posted:

You might also want to look into the d3300, which despite being older is arguably a more capable camera for often less money.

That's what I've seen online. The D3300 has a bunch of features that got taken away to save money on the D3400 and D3500 models? In my area D3300s are going for ~$350 with 18-55mm and 50-200mm lens. I think from what I've read ideally I need to get a 300mm lens (450mm after crop factor) for taking photos of birds? I know people say that a 400mm lens is the base for good birding but those are like $1,000 so not ready to drop that yet.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I started out with the 70-300mm 4.5/6.3 (that's like $400 CAD new) and that did pretty okay for birding, barring the slow autofocus and softness at full 300mm

but if you get the itch, you'll want to upgrade pretty quickly any extra reach that a used sigma/tamron 150-600 will give you will be worth it, that and autofocus speed is important if you're doing birds in flight

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
In my limited experience, used glass holds its value pretty well so it's relatively safe to start out with a cheaper used lens and then turn around and sell it to get the nice used lens. It ends up being a very cheap long-term rental. But I can see how for birding you absolutely need a good-good lens!

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

some kinda jackal posted:

Last year I switched from an entry-level Nikon to Fuji for my hiking camera. Really happy with the size/weight and going back to a WR setup (used to run Pentax). The Fuji used lens market is pretty bad compared to Canon and Nikon, though. Makes sense, just saturation.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

creatine posted:

hey yall. I'm looking to get an entry level DSLR for taking photos when I'm out hiking. Use cases would typically be landscapes and birds in the area. I've been looking at the Nikon lines since they seem to be a better bang for your buck. The used camera market around me is fairly healthy but I can't seem to figure out which of the D3300, D3400, or D3500 would be best to look at? Online seems to say that D3300 has more features but uses older lenses? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

You might want to look to see if mirrorless can work for your budget. The theoretical problem is that mirrored cameras are probably a dead-end at this point, so while a D3300 with a good lens will be a good camera, you're also putting your future self into a box if you ever want to do more with cameras. There are adapters to use older lenses with mirrorless cameras, but I don't think Nikon's adapter has great lens coverage.

It may not matter with where you are, and maybe you can get a D3300 and lens for cheap enough that it doesn't matter, but maybe worth considering.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Slotducks posted:

but if you get the itch, you'll want to upgrade pretty quickly any extra reach that a used sigma/tamron 150-600 will give you will be worth it, that and autofocus speed is important if you're doing birds in flight

I love my epic bacon big chungus turbo Rear Window super telephoto unwholesome pervert Sigma 150-600.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

You might want to look to see if mirrorless can work for your budget. The theoretical problem is that mirrored cameras are probably a dead-end at this point, so while a D3300 with a good lens will be a good camera, you're also putting your future self into a box if you ever want to do more with cameras. There are adapters to use older lenses with mirrorless cameras, but I don't think Nikon's adapter has great lens coverage.

It may not matter with where you are, and maybe you can get a D3300 and lens for cheap enough that it doesn't matter, but maybe worth considering.

Hmm I can look into them. My budget is around $400 - $500 so that's why I was primarily looking at used DSLRs. I'm just getting into the hobby so I don't want to drop like $1000+ right off the bat if I end up not enjoying it as much as I thought.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

creatine posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! The nikon d3400 is just under 1lb in weight which I feel is pretty light. I'm not doing any crazy hiking, would mostly be packed trails with some off-trail walking so weight I don't think is going to be a big issue.

I'm completely new to cameras so honestly I have no idea all the pros/cons of mirrorless or crop sensors, etc.
Even speaking as a DSLR user, the reality is that mirrorless has 'won the argument'. While DSLRs are still being sold, all the focus and R&D money is going in to mirrorless. People have largely clicked with the experience mirrorless offers, plus it's opened up some interesting development avenues. Amazingly accurate eye tracking autofocus seems to be the current hot thing. That said, with phones continuing to eat the lower end consumer market for cameras, the manufacturers are more interested in mirrorless at higher price tiers. So DSLRS still fill the lowest cost Best Buy market.

Don't underestimate weight savings. However good intentions start out, every extra gram/ounce increases the likely hood of "I'll just leave the camera today and take it next time".

As for crop; it's a trade-off between image quality (cue a long internet argument...) versus weight/size and cost.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

creatine posted:

Hmm I can look into them. My budget is around $400 - $500 so that's why I was primarily looking at used DSLRs. I'm just getting into the hobby so I don't want to drop like $1000+ right off the bat if I end up not enjoying it as much as I thought.

Yeah that is fair. You might think to look Canon instead of Nikon, I think their adapter to put old-mount lenses on their mirrorless cameras has wider compatibility than Nikon’s does, if you think you could see yourself going in deeper in the future.

I have a D5500 and am facing a similar dilemma. It’s a lovely camera but it needs a new lens and I’m weighing whether it’s worth it to spend $1000 on an evolutionary dead-end… or spend twice that much on a whole new system :psyduck:

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
The Nikon D3x00 is about the same weight as the Fujifilm X-T20 and lighter than the X-T2 (which I would guess are viable used Fuji options).

One reason I sold my old Nikon D800 was that the autofocus experience was pretty miserable when using the LCD instead of the viewfinder, which I often did when taking pictures of flowers. So keep that in mind if you buy one of the older Nikon models.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

do people still shop at KEH? their prices look great, just checking that they haven't been bought out by private equity or something that's gonna make it unreliable

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

do people still shop at KEH? their prices look great, just checking that they haven't been bought out by private equity or something that's gonna make it unreliable

Nothing to my knowledge, though that’s likely less than others.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They did get bought and are less good than they used to be.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I think they did get bought a few years ago by someone?

Have you tried MPB? That’s where I’ve been getting used stuff recently. Prices seem to be lower than KEH, at least for the stuff I’ve been buying (Fuji lenses).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

frogbs posted:

I think they did get bought a few years ago by someone?

Have you tried MPB? That’s where I’ve been getting used stuff recently. Prices seem to be lower than KEH, at least for the stuff I’ve been buying (Fuji lenses).
those prices do look good, ty

happy to hear any other feedback on KEH

i've only ever purchased used equipment and don't see that changing