Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It’s very rare but gets headlines so people think it happens more often than it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

I live in a rural part of deep red Louisiana and I've never seen a business ban masks. I've seen some really lovely signage saying snarky things about wearing masks on small town shops/restaurants, but never anything saying "Don't come in here with a mask on".

I live in Georgia. I'm sorry we're both in such terrible places. Next time I'm out near one, I'll see if they still have a sign up or if they even bother any more. GA stopped wearing masks in like May 2020 lol

"but won't disney just pack up and leave?!" all my disney groups are yelling and I'm like yeah sure I wanna watch that.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Disney is probably privately doing the Willy Wonka "Stop, no don't :geno: " right now.

Let Orange county take on responsibility for paying for fire department, utilities and services while they still will rubber stamp any building permits? Win win for them.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

"but won't disney just pack up and leave?!" all my disney groups are yelling and I'm like yeah sure I wanna watch that.

Anyone who says that really doesn't understand the unrealistic amount of logistics and cost associted.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

I recently relocated to the LA area got Magic Keys for Disneyland. I never really cared for anything disney and thought it would just be a nice place to go and be outdoors and keep the kids entertained, since we're still not doing much indoors. I didn't expect to be too impressed but my wife is from this area and has a lot of happy memories so I said whatever let's do it.

I love it. The first time we went was in January and I think we've gone every week since then. I think it's fantastic! Recently my behavior has become even more disturbing - at night I watch YouTube videos from channels that do daily DL/DCA updates. Six months ago I didn't know the difference between Disneyland and Walt Disney World or what even goes on in either of them, and now I have 4 park reservations coming up in the next month.

Anyway all those yt channels and bloggers and people in the subreddits are often FURIOUS and DISMAYED about how terrible the Disney parks have been lately under the current leadership. Apparently the quality has taken a major dip and the experience is barely worth it anymore. I'm wondering if that's true or if that's something people have always complained about. Kind of like how everyone in New York insists that the city's changed for the worse and become less cool, and the last time it was cool always just happens to be right when they moved there. I can imagine some Disney psycho doing the same thing and thinking that normal progress is killing the spirit of their perfect personal theme park. On the other hand, it does seem like the new CEO is alienating lots of people internally, but I can't be sure how much that could already influence a visitors experience at the parks.

So am I just ignorant of how good it really used to be and foolishly lapping up a strip-mined product, or is the "disney is OVER" thing just overdramatic online dorks?

I know this is the WDW thread but I've seen it said about the experience in both CA and FL so thought it would be worth seeing what you all think.

I've only been to DL once, but grew up going to WDW annually in the 90's and early 00's. I worked at WDW from the mid 00's through 2015. I feel pretty confident in saying that many things have changed for the worse, though some have for the better. I'll try to break in down into categories.

1. Crowd levels - I would say from the 90's when I started going all the way up through around 2013, the crowd levels were generally lower throughout the year with predictable peaks. If you came during Spring Break, Summer break, a holiday weekend, Thanksgiving, or Christmas-New Years, yes, you would get crazy crowds. If you came during any other time the crowds were so much more manageable. It used to be very common during these times to walk on many attractions in the early morning or late evening.

There were also like entire month or multi month stretches of light crowds, called the "off season". Think walking on major attractions during certain times of the day. After Labor Day through the end of October and January after New Years weekend through the end of February used to be notoriously light.

Through extensive marketing and other tactics, plus a surplus of "vacation planning" tool websites like TouringPlans, the "off season" simply doesn't exist anymore. If you're lucky you might get a day or two here or there that have light crowds. But today's "average" crowd level was what have been considered "high" in the '00s and "peak" in the 90's.

2. Advanced planning. Disney has made major efforts to force people to plan every step of their visit in advance, under the guise of making it "easier". The overall end result might be that less guests have a bad time, but also less guests are having a great time. There is something to be said for spontaneity and "winning" a successful day at the parks that is now all but lost if you're not a local who can drop by once a week.

3. Nickel-and-diming - in the last decade and change the prices for everything have rose at a significantly higher rate than they did for the previous 35 years of WDW's existence. When I started working, a one day one park ticket was, I think, around $70? Now, it can be up to more than double that, despite the overall experience offerings being about the same or in some cases, less. You're also charged now for many things that used to be free, the worst of which IMO being Genie+, the new iteration of Fastpass. Any form of Fastpass is, in the long run, detrimental to the theme park experience. Essentially it was required to use Fastpass to experience the same number attractions you would if it didn't exist. BUT - at least before it was free. Now, you have to pay for it, too. Here is a VERY long, detailed video on why Fastpass and now Genie+ sucks, if you're interested.

4. Upkeep - This is something I witnessed very vividly declining firsthand while working there - show elements on attractions that used to be high priority and would either get fixed within a week or force the attraction to close until fixed are now left unaddressed for months... years. Or never addressed. Examples: Tower of Terror has had bad audio and about half of its effects broken for over a decade. Splash Mountain will frequently operate with half of the animatronics frozen. When they refurbished Space Mountain in 2009, the re-entry sound effect was delayed by several seconds. It's now 2022 and the same sound effect is still delayed.

These are things that infrequent visitors probably won't notice or care about too much, but overall it adds up to one's perception of the resort's quality being lowered. It's worth noting that Disneyland is much, MUCH more "show conscious" since many of their visitors are locals who will definitely notice when something is broken. Also worth noting: I still think WDW keeps the parks looking beautiful. In fact, they might be better looking now (aside from Epcot) than they ever have. It's just the show quality of the attractions themselves that tends to be neglected.

Another side note: I think Universal Orlando has the opposite problem - the attractions generally look and sound pretty good, but the parks themselves are visibly rundown.

5. Theming/Branding/Disney IP saturation - I will defiantly stand by this one. For the vast majority of WDW's history, visiting did NOT feel like you were bombarded with the Disney brand at every turn. A large portion of the classic beloved attractions are/were not IP-based attractions (or were IP-adjacent like Tower of Terror, where it's Twilight Zone branded but an original experience). I distinctly remember being a kid and being apprehensive about going before my very first trip because I did not care to be surrounded by Mickey and cutesy Disney stuff, and then I ended up being blown away, in part due to when I realized that was only a portion of the experience and could even largely be ignored if you chose to do so.

The parks each had a unique identity and purpose and their attractions felt distinctly different. I was lucky enough to visit Epcot in it's final year of having all the original main attractions (1994) and I loved it just as much as Magic Kingdom and Disney-MGM (now Hollywood) Studios, for entirely different reasons.

Today, and although this has been snowballing for a while, The Disney company does not view the parks as unique experiences that can stand on their own, but rather synergistic marketing tie-ins. The last original, non-IP attraction built at WDW was Expedition Everest in 2006. Ever since, we have seen an ever increasing approach to IP attractions being dropped in places they don't thematically fit, Epcot turned into "Magic Kingdom but with weird architecture", character and IP branding in more and more resorts that previously didn't have them, characters forced into more and more dining experiences, the list goes on and on.

Essentially, you could love Walt Disney World without being a "Disney Adult" who loves the Disney brand itself. This is how I have always been. I love the place, I don't live and breathe the Disney brand. But this is increasingly becoming not the case.

There's much more I could cover but this is already a longpost... so having said all that, not everything is worse now. We're seeing amazing attractions and lands being built on levels we couldn't even have imagined in the 90's. For instance, even though Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge has gotten it's share of criticism, when you walk around the place, if you've been going to the parks for decades it truly is amazing. In 1994, Tower of Terror was considered the peak of Imagineering design, but in reality the detailed queue for it constitutes a tiny fraction of what makes up Galaxy's Edge.

Rides like Flight of Passage and Rise of the Resistance are just stunning and also immersive on levels we could not have imagined 20-30 years ago as well.

Also food. Food is way better now than it was in the 00's and definitely the 90's.

Before someone quotes me pointing out a bunch of "what-abouts", I realize there are exceptions to most of what I said, but this is just my generalized perception.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Anyone who says that really doesn't understand the unrealistic amount of logistics and cost associted.

yeah they absolutely don't and it's hilarious watching them all yell at each other about who knows the most about massive theme park moving logistics (none of them)

I don't wanna quote the big post because it'll make the page huge but this is a really good post. That said, I think there are a few weeks you can go and still basically walk-on a lot of stuff, you just aren't going to walk-on ROTR.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Another thing making the rounds on social media regarding DeSantis' move to strip Reedy Creek is that, technically, the state legislature can't do poo poo. It has to be put to the vote for those who live within the affected districts, which I believe is like 100 people, most of whom are Disney employees?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Omne posted:

Another thing making the rounds on social media regarding DeSantis' move to strip Reedy Creek is that, technically, the state legislature can't do poo poo. It has to be put to the vote for those who live within the affected districts, which I believe is like 100 people, most of whom are Disney employees?

It's also very explicitly legislation written to punish one company for political speech, and the people who proposed and approved it keep openly saying it every day. DeSantis's "It's illegal to ever ban conservatives from a website for breaking the rules, unless you run a Florida theme park" bill got devestated in court so badly that it was funny to watch.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Desantis doesn't care about the outcome, he already got his win. He gets tons of free air time and momentum for his 2024 run. Him and Abbott were neck in neck there at being top tier lovely people, but Desantis outgamed him.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

The media is pushing a narrative that vaccines don't work, which isn't true and is discouraging people from getting it. I'm seriously tired of the left horseshoeing themselves around to being antivax. Most "Long COVID" symptoms match any symptom of serious illness, along with general anxiety and other mental health issues, and nobody can actually say you're going to die of a stroke in 30 years because of it.

If you can't enter a building maskless without dying in the spring of 2022, even when vaccinated, you probably couldn't do it ever. I'm tired of catering to doomers who love pre-prints, especially on a forum where we've had goons declaring their plans to suicide because they got an asymptomatic case.

Long covid has a disturbing constellation of symptoms. POTS, crushing fatigue so bad people can’t walk up a flight of stairs without resting, diabetes, lowered sperm quality, shrinking the brain, pulmonary fibrosis, pulmonary embolism, brain fog, and more that I’m not remembering. It can be seriously disabling and every infection is a fresh chance to get it of 1 in 20 (low end) to 3 in 10 (high end). Minimize and ignore it at your peril.

There is nothing to stop anyone from knowingly going to the parks infected. When the expensive, extensively planned big family vacation is on the line, you’re feeling mostly fine, and the park policy is “don’t test, don’t tell” I can tell you what choice people make.

Nottherealaborn posted:

What is wrong with you losers.

First off, someone else wearing a mask is for my own protection and not just their own since it stops their spittle from even making it to me.

Secondly, other people should be able to enjoy the world without fear of dying because of everyone else’s uncaring attitude about the worst pandemic in the world since WWI.

And thirdly, people aren’t just wearing masks to avoid getting themselves sick, but also friends and family members who might be more vulnerable.

Some real loving Scrooge assholes on this forum. “Well if you’re gonna die, go ahead and do it.”

I support you but I feel like I must tell you covid is airborne, it’s not just the spittle it’s the air exhaled by the people around you. This is why cloth masks are insufficient (they work, just not very well) and N95 or better is needed.

Anyway my friend recently went to WDW and he tells me genie+ is a huge piece of poo poo that was really ruining his trip.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Dren posted:

brain fog

Dren posted:

and more that I’m not remembering.

Uh oh :haw:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dren posted:

Anyway my friend recently went to WDW and he tells me genie+ is a huge piece of poo poo that was really ruining his trip.
Regular Genie seems to just be a way to make you sit through an ad for Genie+ before they say "have you considered doing all the things in the other parks?" and not much else.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dren posted:

everyone I know that's gone with it has barely been able to use it and I think that's hilarious; a massive upcharge that doesn't work? Mmm, smells like Eisner-era poo poo.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We used it this past trip for a single day. It was frustrating at first, but that frustration was more out of the pains of transitioning from the old familiar FP+. After about half the day, we got used to it and it was a little more manageable.
What we did like is if a ride "broke down" while you had it booked, you were given a free pass of the same "tier" that could be exchanged anywhere and didn't expire for that day. They can rack up if you get lucky. We booked Spaceship Earth twice and it broke down twice giving us 2 free passes that we used for Living With the Land and something else that I can't recall at this time. If that ever happens, you can immediately rebook a new ride, so we effectively had 3 ride reservations at once.

I still don't think it's worth it unless you're doing MK, we just happened to hop from MK to Epcot that day.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

We used it this past trip for a single day. It was frustrating at first, but that frustration was more out of the pains of transitioning from the old familiar FP+. After about half the day, we got used to it and it was a little more manageable.
What we did like is if a ride "broke down" while you had it booked, you were given a free pass of the same "tier" that could be exchanged anywhere and didn't expire for that day. They can rack up if you get lucky. We booked Spaceship Earth twice and it broke down twice giving us 2 free passes that we used for Living With the Land and something else that I can't recall at this time. If that ever happens, you can immediately rebook a new ride, so we effectively had 3 ride reservations at once.

I still don't think it's worth it unless you're doing MK, we just happened to hop from MK to Epcot that day.

I might suggest it for DHS but it'd be a long stretch. MK I agree with just because MK is so heavy with rides.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I didn't take extensive notes during a solo trip and had Touringplans paid subscription planner and genie side by side, and yeah free Genie was bad. This was during the magical period where the parks were manageable right before capacity started ramping up to the limit again.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

In February the parks were so busy we wouldn't have gotten to ride much of anything without aggressive Genie+ usage. It's worse than the old FastPass system because you've got to be actively managing it all day, but it's better than waiting in 45+ minute lines for anything thats a mediocre ride and 1.5+ hours for any good ride

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I guess it's worth throwing out there as a reminder, they are aggressively inflating wait times across the board. Popular rides are the worse offenders sometimes more than 30-40 minutes than the actual wait. Obviously this is done to make G+ more appealing, but it's probably good to keep that in mind when evaluating your next ride selection

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The times on the lines we did wait in were pretty accurate :shrug:

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)

Wow! That definitely answers my many of my questions, thanks for writing all that out. I plan to post up a storm about some of the points you made next time I have a moment.

couldcareless posted:

I guess it's worth throwing out there as a reminder, they are aggressively inflating wait times across the board. Popular rides are the worse offenders sometimes more than 30-40 minutes than the actual wait. Obviously this is done to make G+ more appealing, but it's probably good to keep that in mind when evaluating your next ride selection

This may just be a conspiracy I cooked up but it seems like a key function of the app is crowd control. At least at DL, which I believe is more congested than WDW. Sometimes a popular ride wills randomly drop to 15 minutes, which causes a big group of people to do a fast trot over to whatever it is. I imagine if they see a bottleneck in the middle of a park and they can drop a couple outer-edge popular rides to 10/15/20 minutes (regardless of what the real wait time is), causing a small rush out of the congested area. Likewise, if they put both Star Wars land rides over 120 minutes, that'll probably discourage a few thousand groups from migrating towards the north end of the park. They have tons of data and surveillance so I don't think it would be too hard to come up with a system that makes more subtle adjustments throughout the day to nudge people in certain directions.

It's not like they say Big Thunder is 10 minutes but then you get there and it's actually an hour wait, but I've definitely seen them say it's 10 minutes and when you get to the line it's actually 35 minutes. In that case you don't feel tricked by an app, you just assume other people rushed over and you just missed out. So they really have no reason not to fake the numbers all the time. I still use it because generally 5–10 minutes means walk-on, 15–65 minutes means some normal line, and 70+ minutes means you should wait for it to die down a little. That 15–65 middle range where (most rides usually are) is where the app time doesn't seem to have any relation to actual wait time.

I wasn't around when it came out so I'm sure this has already been thoroughly investigated and confirmed or debunked by online disney obsessives. But ever since I started noticing discrepancies I've wondered if they even care about accuracy. It seems like they can successfully meet all of their marketing and data collection goals without needing to invest more precise estimates.

gamer roomie is 41 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 21, 2022

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Wow! That definitely answers my many of my questions, thanks for writing all that out. I plan to post up a storm about some of the points you made next time I have a moment.

This may just be a conspiracy I cooked up but it seems like a key function of the app is crowd control. At least at DL, which I believe is more congested than WDW. Sometimes a popular ride wills randomly drop to 15 minutes, which causes a big group of people to do a fast trot over to whatever it is. I imagine if they see a bottleneck in the middle of a park and they can drop a couple outer-edge popular rides to 10/15/20 minutes (regardless of what the real wait time is), causing a small rush out of the congested area. Likewise, if they put both Star Wars land rides over 120 minutes, that'll probably discourage a few thousand groups from migrating towards the north end of the park. They have tons of data and surveillance so I don't think it would be too hard to come up with a system that makes more subtle adjustments throughout the day to nudge people in certain directions.

It's not like they say Big Thunder is 10 minutes but then you get there and it's actually an hour wait, but I've definitely seen them say it's 10 minutes and when you get to the line it's actually 35 minutes. In that case you don't feel tricked by an app, you just assume other people rushed over and you just missed out. So they really have no reason not to fake the numbers all the time. I still use it because generally 5–10 minutes means walk-on, 15–65 minutes means some normal line, and 70+ minutes means you should wait for it to die down a little. That 15–65 middle range where (most rides usually are) is where the app time doesn't seem to have any relation to actual wait time.

I wasn't around when it came out so I'm sure this has already been thoroughly investigated and confirmed or debunked by online disney obsessives. But ever since I started noticing discrepancies I've wondered if they even care about accuracy. It seems like they can successfully meet all of their marketing and data collection goals without needing to invest more precise estimates.

I'm not saying they aren't using the app to manage park logistics in that manner, because they definitely are, but I think it's way more plausible that something like a ride will break down, then reopen with a short wait or they are slow to adjust down a long wait of a queue that might have mostly emptied out naturally.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It kind of depends on how exactly they're gathering the metrics, since then post-breakdown 10 minute waits could just be an artefact of that being the walk-on time, but there not being anyone completing the queue at reset so it suddenly jumps when the people who didn't bail for something else finish their 60+ wait and a bunch of people join seeing that it's open again and push it to the average quickly.

I did notice that the Haunted Mansion will display the 13 minute wait time on Genie though, which was nice.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

Oh I've definitely lucked out and walked onto thing right after a post-breakdown reopening, but usually during the closure it'll say "temporarily unavailable" and then the time jumps when it goes back online. I'm talking about things like what happened to us during our last visit: everything except for some kiddie rides were over 35 minutes, then Monsters Inc dropped to 10 minutes on a refresh. We were already right there and basically just had to take a kid out of the stroller and walk in and it was already clearly a 15+ minute wait. Of course, within a short time the line was super long behind us because everyone else wanted the short wait. I know that's anecdotal and could have been a glitch or something, but it happens enough where I think providing accurate wait times is a tertiary function of that system at best.

e: i can see that it sort of sounds like I go to disney and obsessively pore over wait time spreadsheets, which is not true, so I amend my comments to be something like "i wish i never had to wait in line"

gamer roomie is 41 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 21, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
On my last day in HS last trip the queue time for Smuggler's Run said 25 minutes after we got off it close to park close, so we got on it again and it turned out to be a walk on twice in a row. Sometimes things are just wrong I guess :iiam:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I think that's more that some rides have a "floor" for a wait time.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

It's also because, as I understand it, the time is (approximately) calculated based on how long the people currently riding the ride waited and not how long someone getting in line now will necessarily wait. Near closing time the line volumes are changing rapidly so the system probably just can't keep up.

I don't know if it is still the case but they used to just give random people a thing to hold onto when they got into line that they would then hand over to the cast member before they got on the ride, and however long it took for that person to get through the queue was what they based the wait times on

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

Jose Valasquez posted:

I don't know if it is still the case but they used to just give random people a thing to hold onto when they got into line that they would then hand over to the cast member before they got on the ride, and however long it took for that person to get through the queue was what they based the wait times on

I actually saw a handoff just like that within the last couple months on it’s a small world and wondered what it was, I bet that was it. That makes a lot more sense than my deceitful panopticon theory.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Relevant article: https://touringplans.com/blog/the-wait-time-secret-that-disney-wont-tell-you/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I actually saw a handoff just like that within the last couple months on it’s a small world and wondered what it was, I bet that was it. That makes a lot more sense than my deceitful panopticon theory.

I did a handoff when I was at DLR. Jungle Cruise I think it was.

At WDW they probably do those but they could just as easily use magic bands as well.

That reminds me, have they given an ETA on when DLR will start using those?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

This is interesting but they're also trying to sell you something and not showing you the underlying data so I'm skeptical. Beyond their anecdotes at the end how are they measuring their success?

It mostly looks like they just remove the 5-15 minute buffer

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is that data anywhere near accurate in the age of lightning lane? I only have a few examples but my standby times have all been higher than posted.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I recently relocated to the LA area got Magic Keys for Disneyland. I never really cared for anything disney and thought it would just be a nice place to go and be outdoors and keep the kids entertained, since we're still not doing much indoors. I didn't expect to be too impressed but my wife is from this area and has a lot of happy memories so I said whatever let's do it.

I love it. The first time we went was in January and I think we've gone every week since then. I think it's fantastic! Recently my behavior has become even more disturbing - at night I watch YouTube videos from channels that do daily DL/DCA updates. Six months ago I didn't know the difference between Disneyland and Walt Disney World or what even goes on in either of them, and now I have 4 park reservations coming up in the next month.

Anyway all those yt channels and bloggers and people in the subreddits are often FURIOUS and DISMAYED about how terrible the Disney parks have been lately under the current leadership. Apparently the quality has taken a major dip and the experience is barely worth it anymore. I'm wondering if that's true or if that's something people have always complained about. Kind of like how everyone in New York insists that the city's changed for the worse and become less cool, and the last time it was cool always just happens to be right when they moved there. I can imagine some Disney psycho doing the same thing and thinking that normal progress is killing the spirit of their perfect personal theme park. On the other hand, it does seem like the new CEO is alienating lots of people internally, but I can't be sure how much that could already influence a visitors experience at the parks.

So am I just ignorant of how good it really used to be and foolishly lapping up a strip-mined product, or is the "disney is OVER" thing just overdramatic online dorks?

I know this is the WDW thread but I've seen it said about the experience in both CA and FL so thought it would be worth seeing what you all think.

I just honestly want to say that to be careful because I found that getting obsessed with Disney fan media is a quick way to not enjoy the product anymore. Disneyland is a low-wage service job for lots and lots of people, and while the company runs the cone of silence around itself that it always did, workers are quick to talk about all sorts of backstage drama that's initially exciting for anyone who wants to learn more about the place, but quickly hollows the place into a series of managerial decisions and who-approved-what bullshit. Eat enough of it, and the false fronts stop feeling like magical escapism and more like false fronts, if you get my drift.

However, Disneyland and Disney World are a bit different in that Disneyland is basically it's own brand at this point and loving with a lot of anything over 40 years old in the park is loving with the brand. Disney World is a younger re-do of Land where nobody can say that Walt stood on this corner, so it's a lot more malleable and often bends to reflect whatever corporate will impose upon it. At Disneyland you'd get at least a little flack about Walt and tradition for putting High School Musical stuff in Tomorrowland, but at World it's just sort of shrugged off as Disney being Disney and looking for coins wherever they can find it. MK itself is basically just a nice pictureframe for whatever painting corporate wants to show off this year. It might be Stitch or Pixar or Lucas, but it'll fit if we're determined enough.

Helping this along is that until recently Disney World nostalgia was sort of not allowed to come into existence. Now you've got Epcot Center pavillion logos on the return and Orange Bird stuff, but WDW liked to bury it's history while Disneyland for decades would play up it's "this park was awkwardly made in very fast time by studio set designers for a film mogul who actually walked through here" aspects to the hilt in order to stand apart from the corporate flagship who took the lions share of tourists. For a time turned Disneyland into a park that wasn't opened all seven days of the week until they started cutting admission dramatically low for regional residents. Disney World also can't lean as far into boomer nostalgia because everyone who wasn't a kid in the 70s America thought it was a terrible time full of culture wars similar to now. (I mean, when Jimi Hendrix dies and Neil Diamond becomes a charts-topping success, you know the revolution has failed.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 21, 2022

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Craptacular! posted:

I just honestly want to say that to be careful because I found that getting obsessed with Disney fan media is a quick way to not enjoy the product anymore. Disneyland is a low-wage service job for lots and lots of people, and while the company runs the cone of silence around itself that it always did, workers are quick to talk about all sorts of backstage drama that's initially exciting for anyone who wants to learn more about the place, but quickly hollows the place into a series of managerial decisions and who-approved-what bullshit. Eat enough of it, and the false fronts stop feeling like magical escapism and more like false fronts, if you get my drift.

:capitalism:

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
There's a bit of a kerfuffle in Disneyland-land about Disney not renewing Magic Keys purchased last year through upgraded park tickets. Since the bulk of Magic Keys were purchased in August/September people are starting to plan for renewals, and the official word from Disney is muddled at best. The best folks can decipher is those folks who upgraded cannot renew their top tier keys, but maybe people who outright purchased keys still can? People, as you can imagine, are freaking out.

Also it looks like that Florida Disney bill will be signed by DeSantis tomorrow. Owning the libs to spite his own state.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Naw it's more like That's Fandom. My child brain didn't know or care who the President of Disneyland was, it was just a place where you'd go every few years and struggle to remember what used to be here because like a bunch of magical gnomes have come by and deconstructed something that was here on your last trip and turned it into something extremely different. And that was part of what made it great.

When you get to the point where you can rank favorite imagineers and babble about how when some Silent Generation oldster ran the place the streets were more clean, that's when you've gotten too close to the sausage being made. Bloggers keeping track of which old trees fell this week and taking pictures of overflowing trash cans are like the pipeline that leads to you being able to specifically name which middle manager you believe is ruining things this week, none of which happens if you don't become obsessive over the science of this stuff. Which isn't to say that there isn't fun in it, like that two hour video about FastPass, but it also kills the inner child very quick.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/21/politics/disney-florida-special-status/index.html

House passed it also.

Even if it ultimately doesn't matter, certainly this has to lead to Chapeks dismissal?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I really don't want to cheer for Chapek being removed over this because it just signals to his replacement to keep their mouth shut about cultural issues entirely which is probably not the outcome from this that we want.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've had a similar experience as you. 2015 was my first visit to WDW, and since then I've been to DLR twice and WDW 4 times with the family. I've visited WDW a couple days on my own when I was in Orlando for a work conference and my wife and I did an adults only trip for our 10th anniversary. I don't classify myself as a disney adult or feel like I'm obsessed or anything, I just really like the parks. I especially like the WDW environment where you're just in the Disney Bubble and you just kinda forget about the real world for a while.

We also watch Disney videos and content creators pretty much every night, stay up to date with what's going on in the parks, etc. I even bought into the Disney Vacation Club timeshare system.

So to address your statement that I bolded... I'd say the answer is somewhere in the middle. Even with my limited experience of about 7 years WDW has changed quite a lot, and I can argue not all the changes are for the best. It's much more expensive now. I think to recreate our 2015 trip it would be about double the cost when looking at ticket and hotel room costs right now. I also recognize that WDW is basically a decent sized city with over 70,000 cast members (employees), working 24/7/365 to make WDW the place that it is. Those people need to be paid well, have good benefits, etc all which is expensive to do. I still feel like I get a decent value out of the trip, but I will say I'm a bit nervous for our next trip in June with how much has changed since March 2020.

Disney fans are harsh critics. I believe the criticism comes mostly from a place of love, and there are always some people who will be upset with change. I would just take whatever with a grain of salt. If you're having fun, that's really all that matters. The good old days of low crowds is never coming back. Prices are never going to go down. Park reservations and other capacity management tools are here to stay. Things are always changing. You're vacation and leisure time needs will change as well over the years. My kids are getting older, and I'm probably going to be cutting back on the amount of money I spend with the mouse in the future to every other or every 3 years.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

worms butthole guy posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/21/politics/disney-florida-special-status/index.html

House passed it also.

Even if it ultimately doesn't matter, certainly this has to lead to Chapeks dismissal?

The board and shareholders won’t care about this issue either way. If Chapek is removed it’ll be because the stock ranked under his lead and nothing else.

Also that bill just starts a process that won’t end until next summer and has zero chance of affecting Reedy Creek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So it’s still not a done deal then? I don’t really know how this works.