Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

It's an outside shot, but his new job may come with life insurance he can buy for his wife without requiring a medical screening. It'll be a relatively small policy (probably mid-five figures), but it'll be affordable, if (and that's a big "if") it's there.

In my experience those are usually like $250k for the employee and $100k for the spouse. Not like that's nothing, but......it's not gonna be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

This weekend I was given an ER diagnosis or cancer on my lymph node. I need to look into life insurance in the US market (yes, everything really is screwed up here) Any hints on where to look? I was thinking 15 term because if I've made to15 years then this thing is beat. I have a wife and a five year old, which is the bad part of this. I want to be around for him.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Darth Brooks posted:

This weekend I was given an ER diagnosis or cancer on my lymph node. I need to look into life insurance in the US market (yes, everything really is screwed up here) Any hints on where to look? I was thinking 15 term because if I've made to15 years then this thing is beat. I have a wife and a five year old, which is the bad part of this. I want to be around for him.

I'm very sorry about your diagnosis. However look at the previous like 5 posts for your answer. You need something guaranteed issue from eith you or your wife's employer.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

My wife and I are possibly changing/adding to our life insurance and, separately, our home insurance (adding umbrella) this winter.

But I would also like to freeze our credit as general best practice when not anticipating new loans/credit cards/etc. Will having our credit reports frozen @ all the major bureaus affect those insurance quotes?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pmchem posted:

Will having our credit reports frozen @ all the major bureaus affect those insurance quotes?

Hasnt' for me. But multiple years in you still run into other bullshit where CSMs don't know why a credit check was denied, often can't tell you which bureaus they will use, etc. (hi, Verizon) So just be ready to deal with that poo poo.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have a supplemental group term life insurance policy through work. I'm about to hop jobs. Portability vs conversion?

32yo with beautiful curvy goon physique and high blood pressure, no cancer or other acute illnesses, nonsmoker, had the policy since the start of 2015 or 2016 if it matters.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Residency Evil posted:

Car insurance question:

My lovely wife got in to a car accident in a rental car a few months back. Our insurer (Geico) took care of most things, however refused to pay for the diminished value claim that Hertz brought. They went back and forth, but ultimately Geico refused to pay, and Hertz threatened to send it to collections. My wife just told me the result of everything last week since she took care of it. Is there/was there any other recourse? She rented the car on an Amex Platinum, which I read doesn't reimburse diminished value claims. Apparently most car insurance companies don't either. Are we just out of luck?

Pretty much every personal auto insurance policy excludes coverage for diminished value for claims covered under Part D (collision & comprehensive). If your wife wasn't at fault they could pursue it through the other carrier. However, rental companies are incredibly lazy when it comes to claims and usual just go after the easiest target, which tends to be you or your insurance company.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Infidel Castro posted:

Pretty much every personal auto insurance policy excludes coverage for diminished value for claims covered under Part D (collision & comprehensive). If your wife wasn't at fault they could pursue it through the other carrier. However, rental companies are incredibly lazy when it comes to claims and usual just go after the easiest target, which tends to be you or your insurance company.

Thanks, that's helpful. So essentially, we are/were SOL?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

In my experience Hertz is looking for a buck anywhere they can get it but will generally not pursue the DV claim against you directly. How much are they asking for?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

In my experience Hertz is looking for a buck anywhere they can get it but will generally not pursue the DV claim against you directly. How much are they asking for?

Initially they were going back and forth with Geico, who refused. Apparently my wife negotiated them down to 2k or something/paid it.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks, that's helpful. So essentially, we are/were SOL?

Assuming your wife wasn't liable for the accident, you could open a claim on the other party's policy under property damage to get reimbursed. I've never seen it handled that way though, so no clue what the outcome would be.

I'd also check your policy language as well to see if the exclusion applies to covered autos, or just owned autos. Sadly I'm working at a TPA these days so I can't look at a policy to see which it is.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Infidel Castro posted:

Assuming your wife wasn't liable for the accident, you could open a claim on the other party's policy under property damage to get reimbursed. I've never seen it handled that way though, so no clue what the outcome would be.

I'd also check your policy language as well to see if the exclusion applies to covered autos, or just owned autos. Sadly I'm working at a TPA these days so I can't look at a policy to see which it is.

Oh she was at fault. Rear ended some guy.

Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004
A family member was in the hospital for a few days, and I'm expecting the usual insurance dance over the next few months. Does anyone outsource this fight? I'd much rather hire a law firm to deal with the hospital/insurance/ambulance providers than spend dozens of hours dealing with it myself. Are there any firms that specialize in this and have all the form letters ready to go?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Is this a good place to ask about private flood insurance? I saw the government program caps at 250K and that concerns me as I live in a “dam inundation” area. Any recommendations or thoughts?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Is this a good place to ask about private flood insurance? I saw the government program caps at 250K and that concerns me as I live in a “dam inundation” area. Any recommendations or thoughts?

Private flood is fine if you can get it. There's excess flood over NFIP too, but I've never been successful at placing it.

What is the replacement cost valuation of your house? That would be your goal to insure which is of course going to be far, far less than the market price unless you're out in nowhere.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Minus Pants posted:

A family member was in the hospital for a few days, and I'm expecting the usual insurance dance over the next few months. Does anyone outsource this fight? I'd much rather hire a law firm to deal with the hospital/insurance/ambulance providers than spend dozens of hours dealing with it myself. Are there any firms that specialize in this and have all the form letters ready to go?

I guess the big question is how much are you willing to spend? The reason attorneys assist with personal injury lawsuits is there is an excess of settlement monies for them to take beyond the medical bills so after their fee the insured isn't left owing money. For a strictly medical situation anything they take would come straight out of your pocket.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Minus Pants posted:

Lawyers are expensive. They'll want their cut, too.

You could always just ask your adjuster what they need and what they'll pay for. If it doesn't line up with reasonable expectations, then consider your course of action.

Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004

Virtue posted:

I guess the big question is how much are you willing to spend? The reason attorneys assist with personal injury lawsuits is there is an excess of settlement monies for them to take beyond the medical bills so after their fee the insured isn't left owing money. For a strictly medical situation anything they take would come straight out of your pocket.

I was hoping there was a service out there along the lines of "for $250 we'll harass the insurance company on legal letterhead so you don't have to." Not worth engaging a normal law firm, but it seems like a decent opportunity for someone to send form letters via certified mail to push claims along.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Minus Pants posted:

I was hoping there was a service out there along the lines of "for $250 we'll harass the insurance company on legal letterhead so you don't have to." Not worth engaging a normal law firm, but it seems like a decent opportunity for someone to send form letters via certified mail to push claims along.

First party health insurance claims don't really get held up for that reason. Usually confusion arises from people not understanding their benefits or a paperwork problem related to coding or pre-authorizations. Just sending random letters to the health insurance company isn't going to move anything along because they have a very strict procedure they have to follow. There's no negotiation like there would be in a third party liability settlement.

There are situations where the insurance company really fucks up but it's really not the norm and in those situations attorneys will want to work with you anyway to get a cut of the general or punitive damages.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 1, 2022

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

First party claims are also dealt with under predefined contractual terms. There isn’t money to be had since it’s only dealing with essentially repayment of incurred medical costs. It’s only once you get in general (compensatory) damages do the numbers get squishy and there’s enough financial incentive for an attorney to spend time on it.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Minus Pants posted:

This woman? https://armandalegshow.com/episode/jackie-fox/

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Virtue posted:

First party health insurance claims don't really get held up for that reason. Usually confusion arises from people not understanding their benefits or a paperwork problem related to coding or pre-authorizations. Just sending random letters to the health insurance company isn't going to move anything along because they have a very strict procedure they have to follow. There's no negotiation like there would be in a third party liability settlement.

There are situations where the insurance company really fucks up but it's really not the norm and in those situations attorneys will want to work with you anyway to get a cut of the general or punitive damages.

This.

And from my experience when there's gently caress ups it's always the medical billers, not the insurance claim processors.

I had like 70 different insurance claims processed because of my surgery and there were 3 that had some kind of problem.

One of them wasn't actually a problem, the bill was just abbreviated/condensed in such a way that it didn't match the Explanation Of Benefits so it looked like a problem. It actually took a long time (many phone calls) to "straighten this one out" just because everyone I talked to didn't understand it either.

One of them was a problem but it wasn't my problem. My insurance denied like $23,000 of surgical equipment but it was because the hospital coded it wrong and they told me if the hospital recoded it they'd get paid and if they didn't they wouldn't but in no way would I ever be responsible for it.

The last was also an actual problem and one of the medical providers was trying to bill me too much, their bill didn't match the Explanation Of Benefits. I had to print out and snail mail them a copy of the EOB (they couldn't even accept a fax) and that fixed it because I never got a bill from them again.

You absolutely need to look at the bills and understand them before you pay out of pocket but it's not really something you can outsource to a lawyer and it's pretty much just "does this bill from medical provider X for service Y match my EOB from BCBS or whoever your insurance is" and if it doesn't call your insurance company and have them explain why it doesn't and if you need to call the medical provider to fix it.

IANAL but if you want to pay me $250 to look at your medical bills I'll do it. :D

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

And from my experience when there's gently caress ups it's always the medical billers, not the insurance claim processors.

You absolutely need to look at the bills and understand them before you pay out of pocket

First off I refuse to let the insurers off the hook so readily on that as you do. Part of the reason we even have "medical biller" as a profession is the hosed up system we have for coding and the absurdly specific but secret manuals for it. All of which differ from plan to plan and purposely involves humans they can scape goat whenever it goes wrong despite a computer being literally perfect for this sort of thing.

Second, definitely do not pay anything until you clearly understand what is going on and if someone is trying to balance bill you for something that should be in-network. For example if your all in network doctors bring in some random anesthesiologist who is out of network it's time to get on the phone.

It sucks, but wait until there is a problem. These places often go back and forth several times before getting it right. The facility/providers really want your insurance to pay - they have deep pockets. Your portion of the bill is just a rounding error to them. Assuming it's in-network.

Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Part of the reason we even have "medical biller" as a profession is the hosed up system we have for coding and the absurdly specific but secret manuals for it. All of which differ from plan to plan and purposely involves humans they can scape goat whenever it goes wrong despite a computer being literally perfect for this sort of thing.

Yeah, this is my main issue. I don't want to deal with this game. I understand the insurance company only covers certain things that are billed in certain ways. So why won't they tell me (or, better, the hospital) exactly what they are ahead of time so I don't have to wait on hold and get bounced around for hours to "fix" a claim? If the worry is that a provider will take advantage of that info, that sounds like fraud and can be handled between the provider and the insurance company.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Minus Pants posted:

Yeah, this is my main issue. I don't want to deal with this game. I understand the insurance company only covers certain things that are billed in certain ways. So why won't they tell me (or, better, the hospital) exactly what they are ahead of time so I don't have to wait on hold and get bounced around for hours to "fix" a claim? If the worry is that a provider will take advantage of that info, that sounds like fraud and can be handled between the provider and the insurance company.

Just stay in network to avoid balance billing and ensure the insurance company has leverage, then deal with the issues as they arise. The providers know exactly how things need to be coded so if you have a beef in practice it's probably going to be with them.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Minus Pants posted:

Reminds me a bit of when we asked a lawyer if it was worth doing this for a dispute with the town and they said “no, they don’t care if you send something from a lawyer, they just forward it to the lawyers they have on staff.”

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

smackfu posted:

Reminds me a bit of when we asked a lawyer if it was worth doing this for a dispute with the town and they said “no, they don’t care if you send something from a lawyer, they just forward it to the lawyers they have on staff.”

Similar to what happens when people who are unhappy with their claims process tell their adjuster that they're going to hire a lawyer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My girlfriend was involved in an accident on the way to work this morning. She slowed to a stop for traffic on a highway and was rear ended by a car that was hit by a box truck. Box truck is registered to an address in Mexico and no insurance was on the prelim police report, car that hit her was registered and insured properly. Box truck also hit another two vehicles.

She has comp/collision with a $1k ded but no un/underinsured and we are in Arizona (at-fault state). Anyone want to give me the cliff notes of how this will probably end? Car is done once an adjuster sees it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 20, 2022

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

If the box truck that started the whole chain reaction of the accident doesn't have insurance, then it's probably going to end with her insurance paying for the damages less the $1,000 deductible. Her insurance may try going after the owner of the box truck or the driver but if it's registered in Mexico it's probably going to be a fruitless ordeal.

Edit: thinking back to my claim handling days I'm pretty sure drivers in Arizona can't even purchase uninsured motorists for property damage coverage (UMPD) so even if she had uninsured/ underinsured coverage it only would have covered any injuries she sustained, not damage to her car.

sheri fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 20, 2022

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh, perfect, that is all I was worried about. Didn't want to see her be poo poo out of luck with respect to car replacement.

Thank you :) Shopping time (goddamnit).

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Couldn’t her insurance go after the person sandwiched in the middle who rear ended her, who was fully insured?

I only ask because yesterday I had a defensive driver training class and the instructor pointed out that the middle person right up on the bumper of the person first in line would be “buying that car” if the middle person was rear ended and didn’t leave enough space between them and the first car and ended up hitting the first car. This situation sounds exactly like the one he was explaining to me and it sounds like sheri’s response doesn’t mention the middle car at all.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Cacafuego posted:

Couldn’t her insurance go after the person sandwiched in the middle who rear ended her, who was fully insured?

I only ask because yesterday I had a defensive driver training class and the instructor pointed out that the middle person right up on the bumper of the person first in line would be “buying that car” if the middle person was rear ended and didn’t leave enough space between them and the first car and ended up hitting the first car. This situation sounds exactly like the one he was explaining to me and it sounds like sheri’s response doesn’t mention the middle car at all.

No.

I mean, in theory they absolutely could try but it wouldn't get anywhere.

I worked as a claims adjuster for several years and have handled the scenario more times than I can count and the people in the middle that get crammed into everyone are not at fault at all.

People that teach defensive driving classes generally don't have any idea how legalities and insurance claim processes and whatnot actually work.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

sheri posted:

No.

I mean, in theory they absolutely could try but it wouldn't get anywhere.

I worked as a claims adjuster for several years and have handled the scenario more times than I can count and the people in the middle that get crammed into everyone are not at fault at all.

People that teach defensive driving classes generally don't have any idea how legalities and insurance claim processes and whatnot actually work.

Ok, got it, thank you. I had never heard that before so it came as a surprise to me. Glad to know the req way it works!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I imagine for completeness sake they will send over a letter asking for the money, which will generate a form denial / go after this person response, and it all gets stapled together and put away in a box forever. If both parties are lucky the foreign driver will somehow be willing to pay but it's not a thing anymone is going to expend a huge amount of time on. Same thing, few letters will go, nothing will come back, and that will be that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Cacafuego posted:

I was the middle person in a similar accident and none of the other half dozen vehicles involved has ever even suggested my insurance should be paying anyone out.

Then again I had video proof I wasn’t right up on their rear end at the stop light.

After the accident I googled about safe spacing distance at stop lights and like everything it seems to vary state by state but IIRC some state driving manuals & driving laws don’t even mention it and the ones that do it’s “enough space you could pull out/around them if you had to without reversing” and maybe “enough space you can see the bottoms of their tires” and neither of those is really a huge amount of space like one car length tops and it’s not even a uniform amount of space it’s going to depend entirely on what you’re driving.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

And if someone plows into you going super fast you are going to need a lot more space in front then if someone hits you going 10mph.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Insurance is coming to grab the car out of the garage today, hopefully the valuation on it is reasonable given the current market. It is a 2011 Mazda 3 that she paid $6k for a year ago but lol used car market and she doesn't make a ton of money.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Looking at adding an umbrella policy for the first time now that we actually have assets. How much should you be covering? It's easy to total savings and investments and auto, but how does a house work considering how crazy the market has been? How much estimated value the house is worth? Only equity in it? Admittedly, the difference between 0, $1M, and $2M policy premium is pretty small, but also no reason to go overboard.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Liability coverage should be $1 more than the most you would be sued for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I would assume the house value is what it would actually sell for on the market in terms of calculating a liability exposure.