Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I expected it just to be merged into the existing app but keep the branding. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1517166034092007425

anyone who worked for quibi must be feeling good right now

Jesus, didn't even last a month

Good god, I don't know how they didn't see this coming

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

BigPaddy posted:

I expected it just to be merged into the existing app but keep the branding. Oh well.

i just remember cnn things were taken from hbo max

that'll probably return

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm probably around 1500-2000 a month, but I respond to maybe 2% of them. Lots of automated messages saying I / someone else updated a project that maybe I need to glance at, and lots of random groups I've been added to that I mostly just need to be vaguely aware of in case something specific comes up.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Glumslinger posted:

Those McKinsie consultants do good work

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Glumslinger posted:

CNN+ feels like a pet project of Jeff Zucker that he was shepherding when he was the head of WarnerMedia News and probably just had too much momentum to stop pre-merger, and now the guy who came over from Discovery was like, "The gently caress is this poo poo, we already have Discovery+!"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

Lmao

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
What was the plan for CNN+ out of curiosity from someone who paid zero attention to the idea.

Was it just going to be more talking heads saying news type things over and over or were they planning on doing...idk documentaries and such?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
There was a CNN+?!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grittybeard posted:

What was the plan for CNN+ out of curiosity from someone who paid zero attention to the idea.

Was it just going to be more talking heads saying news type things over and over or were they planning on doing...idk documentaries and such?

Their lineup at launch:

quote:

Live weekday schedule
7:00 AM ET: 5 Things with Kate Bolduan
8:00 AM ET: Go There
9:00 AM ET: Big Picture with Sara Sidner
11:00 AM ET: Reliable Sources Daily
4:00 PM ET: The Source with Kasie Hunt
5:00 PM ET: The Global Brief with Bianca Nobilo (simulcast with CNN International; the only such program simulcast with a linear CNN network)
6:00 PM ET: Who's Talking to Chris Wallace? (Mondays–Thursdays)
7:30 PM ET: The Newscast with Wolf Blitzer

Weekly schedule
Boss Files with Poppy Harlow (Mondays)
Anderson Cooper Full Circle (Tuesdays and Saturdays)
No Mercy, No Malice with Scott Galloway (Tuesdays)
Parental Guidance with Anderson Cooper (Wednesdays)
Jake Tapper's Book Club (Sundays)
Rex Chapman (Mondays)
The Don Lemon Show (Fridays)

Daily schedule
CNN+ Special Report (breaking news coverage)
Interview Club (CNN+ subscribers ask questions to experts in live interviews)

CNN+ Original Series
Land of the Giants: Titans of Tech (Thursdays)
The Murdochs: Empire of Influence
The Wonder List with Bill Weir (Season 4)
Flashpoints with Fareed Zakaria
Eva Longoria: Searching for Mexico

CNN+ FLASHDocs
New documentary unit exploring timely and topical pop culture stories.
Chicago vs. Jussie Smollett

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've got notifications turned on for JIRA tickets and Confluence pages I'm watching, which inflates the number, but including those and also meeting request notifications, I'm still at only about 60 a week. I use filters heavily to sort stuff into different boxes so I can ignore a fair bit of it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm probably more like 8-900 work emails a month and responding to a quarter of those at most. My work inbox hacks are to create two redirect folders as soon as I get my legs under me at a new job: one for messages where I am only CC'd, and one for messages from automated senders. Does a pretty good job of cutting through the clutter.

Vertical Lime posted:

This is the first time I've heard of this service tbh

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Timby posted:

Their lineup at launch:

God just a murderers row of “who’s this for??”

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
who in their right mind wants to pay to have more news yeeted into their eyeballs in TYOOL 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

JPrime posted:

who in their right mind wants to pay to have more news yeeted into their eyeballs in TYOOL 2022

There was no news. They were contractually prohibited from broadcasting any news.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
CNN+ was literally CNN without news. All the non-news CNN content you love. Cable company contracts prevented them from broadcasting any news via the service.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I mean if y’all don’t find more Wolf Blitzer content utterly electrifying I don’t know what to tell you

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
At the large energy company around 30 a day
At Coca Cola in house around 160 a day
Currently around 15-20 a day but it’s all directly for me

As usual companies are bloated

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Thaddius the Large posted:

I mean if y’all don’t find more Wolf Blitzer content utterly electrifying I don’t know what to tell you

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Timby posted:

Their lineup at launch:

Rex Chapman (assuming it's the same guy) stealing content for CNN+ instead of Twitter for a half hour or an hour every week is a pretty funny idea to think about.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Grittybeard posted:

Rex Chapman (assuming it's the same guy) stealing content for CNN+ instead of Twitter for a half hour or an hour every week is a pretty funny idea to think about.

it is amazing how we keep reinventing america's funniest home videos every few years

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

This is my favorite photo and I’d hang an oil painting of it in my house if my wife wouldn’t leave me.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

LeeMajors posted:

This is my favorite photo and I’d hang an oil painting of it in my house if my wife wouldn’t leave me.

If she doesn't consider that art, that would be what they call "irreconcilable differences" in my area.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Someone please explain to me what cnn+ was supposed to be

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

a revenue stream for cnn

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FizFashizzle posted:

My hypothesis is that originally it was going to be live cnn plus the back catalog. This went into works and before they launched the cable companies gave them a call and threatened litigation over contractual rights to breaking news. They already have everything ready to go, so go ahead and launch with the intent to shut down in a month. That way they cover the contracts of the people working on it as much as possible.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Hot Diggity! posted:

Approximately how many emails would you guys say you get at work in a month?

I've got 90K in my inbox/folders for the past 7 years, so just over 1000/mo that I felt I needed to save for one reason or another. I probably delete more than half of what I get, I'm on so many lists so actual incoming volume is probably in the 2-3K range.

it sucks.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Wow.

Everything Everywhere All at Once actually exceeded the hype. Wife and I both laughed and cried multiple times. Wonderful film.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

UC Berkeley's campus is shut down due to a "credible threat."

This is normal. This is fine.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I’m sitting at 400 unread emails after being OoO for 4 days. Maybe 20 of those are things I actually need to work on or am interested in.

MailChimp and Constant Contact are a pox on humanity.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Approximately how many emails would you guys say you get at work in a month?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I have... 36,078 read messages in my work inbox.

Neat

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can't recall who it was, but a comic was joking about Mike Tyson until a friend reminded him that Mike still can knock a motherfucker out so he stopped telling Mike Tyson jokes.

Drunk guy kept poking a bear surprised that bear fucks him up is a story as old as time itself.
It was on Howard Stern back when Artie Lange was there. And it was 50 Cent telling Artie "You know he can still beat people up, right?" something like that.

LeeMajors posted:

Right next to Washington Football Team running the swinging gate, even after a timeout.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 21, 2022

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I'm generally in the 1.5-2k range. Starting to think we all get too many emails and that might just be keeping us from working...

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Hot Diggity! posted:

I'm generally in the 1.5-2k range. Starting to think we all get too many emails and that might just be keeping us from working...

Just lmao if you’re not putting down “reading/responding to email” a few hours a week on your timesheet

(I don’t do timesheets anymore but when I did that was a good way to burn a few hours)

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Also I visited Frank Lloyd Wright’s place in Phoenix yesterday and I wanted to steal this door very badly:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Freaquency posted:

Just lmao if you’re not putting down “reading/responding to email” a few hours a week on your timesheet

(I don’t do timesheets anymore but when I did that was a good way to burn a few hours)

Back when I was billing I'd have hours each week for emails / invoices / doing my timesheets. I made all my billables easily so gently caress it pay me more for trying to keep my sanity.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Yeah 1,000 emails a month sounds like a decent floor estimate.

But I only need to actively address maybe 15% to 25% of those?

Same, except 2-5% of them. But the ones I need to address tend to be actual design requests that represent a significant workload.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I mark every email read as soon as I see it come across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I wonder why "multiverses" have become such a ubiquitous storytelling technique in recent years. Is it speaking to some feeling a number of people may have that we're living in a version of the world that's somehow "wrong", or less desirable than other conceivable realities? Or is it just, "oh neat, this can make my Indiana Jones/Nathan Drake slashfiction a reality!"