Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I think violence is a part of our nature but those we aim it at is absolutely cultural. There's little difference in the argument for the corrective nature of violence against children than there is against women and 70 years ago it was very much normalised. We should be more like our cousins the Chimpanzee who aim their violence upwards and eat their leaders when they act the oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I'm going to seize all their noses.

Seize the means of olfaction!

ThomasPaine posted:

Come on now I'm obviously talking about interpersonal behaviour, which is absolutely not fixed and is far more influenced by environment than biology.

Well certainly, but i guess my point (if I had one) is that "biology has no influence on interpersonal behavior and societal structures" is almost as extreme and insane a position as the :biotruths: people. The answer, as always, is :shrug:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Like Hot Chip said:

quote:

we are a violent race
and we deserve what we get

But that doesn't mean you have to smack kids cause that's just oval office behavior tbf

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

Even then I don't think the violence would be instructive, forcing someone to stop doing something isn't the same as teaching them.

I think my worry is that class enemies can't be 'taught', because they know exactly what they're doing and they don't care. So what other option is there?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Whether or not we have a "natural" urge or drive to physically chastise children is fundamental irrelevant to whether it's a moral way of raising them. The entire arguement is so fundamentally flawed that there's a formal logical fallacy named after the root of the arguement, the naturalistic fallacy. Like, I have a natural urge to hurt if someone cuts me off in traffic, but I don't act on it because that would be stupid and act as the foundation for a brutish and violent society.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I think my worry is that class enemies can't be 'taught', because they know exactly what they're doing and they don't care. So what other option is there?

Forcing people to stop doing things because you don't have the ability to teach them to stop doing it of their own volition is still a valid option, to clarify.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Camrath posted:

I was smacked by my dad when I did something particularly ‘naughty’. I don’t really bear him any ill will over it, and he’s very much of a different generation- he was a prefect and caned younger boys at school for example. Last time I can remember it happening was when I was seven and had amused myself while doing homework by stabbing my pencil multiple times quite deeply into the surface of the kitchen table. He smacked me six times, I cried and sure as poo poo didn’t do it again.

My mum however once the menopause struck would go loving mental and attack me. I can remember walking down the Appian Way in Rome aged fifteen with her screaming, slapping and kicking me because she thought I was hunching over to spite her (?)- I have curvature of the spine which was /much/ worse when I was a teen. That I /do/ still bear a lot of anger over. Tbh her psycho-fits only stopped when I ended up grabbing her and physically throwing her (literally) out of my room when I was about 17.

So yeah, there’s a difference between discipline and abuse but frankly I don’t trust most people to know where that line is at the best of times so better just to avoid totally.

Oh God my mum became a total hellbitch when menopause hit.
Of course we didn't realize that was what was going on as kids but as an adult I finally twigged.

She wasn't physically abusive to us * (except her and my sister used to have stand up fights that my dad and I would have to physically tear them apart but quite frankly my sister as a teenager was completely obnoxious and would provoke and provoke and provoke.) but anything would wind her up (mum) and she would be verbally screaming how much she (mum) hated us and my dad and all that sort of stuff. *I have 2 brothers as well.

Beware the menopause, my friends, when the moon is faat.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 21, 2022

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

My parents weren't people who smacked their kids. None of my sisters ever got smacked and I think my brothers has less than a handful of smacks between them. I was given a smack a couple of times as a kid. The second time I was 13 and my mum couldn't hit me hard enough to hurt me so I really didn't care. When I was 17 my dad and I got into a proper fist fight that ended with us rolling on the floor, my dad getting me around the throat and me about to put a thumb in his eye before we realised how hosed up the whole thing was. He took me down the pub and bought me a few drinks as a sort of apology.

Also:

British PM Johnson signals visa flexibility with India to win trade deal

quote:

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson indicated he was ready to offer more visas to India in return for this year clinching a free-trade deal that could boost annual bilateral trade by billions of pounds.

Speaking on the plane on his way to the world's second-most populous country, Johnson signalled he was ready to be more accommodating on an issue that could have stalled the talks.

Those people that voted for Brexit to keep out the immigrants must be jumping on their hats.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
646 dead of covid today, nobody gives a poo poo

Society fucken frightens me, man

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Barry Foster posted:

People looked at the risk, saw a slight chance of brain damage and heart disease, and cried open er up.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Physical chastisement generally doesn't work for a few reasons:

1a) If you're using physical chastisement because the child doesn't understand any explanation you could give, then they'll probably be so upset at the punishment that they won't be able to link it to the reason they're being punished
1b) there's too much time between the reason you're punishing them and the punishment itself, so they can't create a link between the two (behaviourist approaches do work, after all)

2a) The child could understand your explanation, but you decide not to explain, just to physically chastise them - the child doesn't learn why what they did was wrong, so they can't learn from it and change their behaviour
2b) you explain why what the child does was wrong and they understand, but you physically chastise them anyway because you're angry - because there's literally no other reason to do both - at which point the child probably forgets the reason and focuses more on the pain of the physical chastisement

3) Most child development is driven by children wanting to make adults - particularly their care-givers - happy. It's far, far better to praise 'good' behaviour than it is to punish 'bad' behaviour, if only because 'bad' behaviour can change quite wildly between different situations, but 'good' behaviour is more or less consistent across contexts

/\ /\ /\ /\
There are still a few other hold-outs wearing a mask when I get the train or tube, but the number sporting one has gone down significantly in the last few weeks.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Barry Foster posted:

Well, they stopped doing daily counts because covid is over so it's actually only 200 dead a day but yeah

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Saw that the suspected Liz Truss leadership campaign web domain was up for sale and made an inquiry. Anyone want to chip in?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

bessantj posted:

Also:

British PM Johnson signals visa flexibility with India to win trade deal

Those people that voted for Brexit to keep out the immigrants must be jumping on their hats.

I can't find them now but there was some stats shared on Twitter the other day showing non-EU migration under the new visa system is going through the roof.

Intentionally or not they have created a system that is pretty open to "skilled" migrants. I'd guess they're trying to balance the demands of Brexit voters with the actual economic need for migrants by being visibly ultra-tough on illegal immigration/asylum and making EU citizens gets visas, while being low-key quite open to legal migration.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

peanut- posted:

I can't find them now but there was some stats shared on Twitter the other day showing non-EU migration under the new visa system is going through the roof.

Intentionally or not they have created a system that is pretty open to "skilled" migrants. I'd guess they're trying to balance the demands of Brexit voters with the actual economic need for migrants by being visibly ultra-tough on illegal immigration/asylum and making EU citizens gets visas, while being low-key quite open to legal migration.

Yeah it's a clever ploy to fool thick racists. People crossing by boat are a tiny fraction of the total immigration numbers, and something like 97% of those are successful making asylum claims. The crackdown on 'illegal immigrants' is purely to signal to the press/voters that something is being done about those foreigners.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

keep punching joe posted:

Saw that the suspected Liz Truss leadership campaign web domain was up for sale and made an inquiry. Anyone want to chip in?

Forward the email to the Led by Donkeys team, they'll offer half a mil straight away.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

peanut- posted:

Pretty sure it's 100% intentional. If racists keep thinking that there are too many foreigners in the country, they're going to keep voting for outrage-stoking right wingers and you never need policies other than "less foreigners stealing your jobs and coming here to get given those big tvs".

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

peanut- posted:

There's bound to be a bunch of "Oh legal immigration is alright, it's illegal immigration that I'm against." But plenty must still be against immigration of any type, unless it's very rich people.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

To make one post in this thread today that isn't about pissing, my parents never hit me (as far as I can remember) as a kid. However, they did somehow manage to put the fear of loving god into me if I ever did anything wrong (or was planning something wrong). I don't think I was ever actually grounded - not that they could do anything anyway, I had a computer in my room and that's really all I wanted - and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I was actually punished for anything. I don't really understand what it was or why (my partner suggests middle class white guilt) but the not knowing what might happen if I was caught was, in my opinion, worse than knowing I might get a smack.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
a shitload of people are against any form of immigration because they're racist as gently caress

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

keep punching joe posted:

People looked at the risk, saw a slight chance of brain damage and heart disease, and cried open er up.

Well it's not like they were at risk, is it?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gort posted:

Well, they stopped doing daily counts because covid is over so it's actually only 200 dead a day but yeah

Oh - this I didn't realise. So it's every three days or so then?

But yeah. Still

poo poo's gonna make polio look like a joke re: permanent disability, but gently caress it, it's the time of todestrieb

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/BareLeft/status/1517205855376187392?t=y5TWeYLfoHwsW_oRsW3B5Q&s=19

I appreciate the implication that Kieth needs a reason to buy a round of drinks, or that he would share them with anyone else

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

kingturnip posted:

Physical chastisement generally doesn't work for a few reasons:

1a) If you're using physical chastisement because the child doesn't understand any explanation you could give, then they'll probably be so upset at the punishment that they won't be able to link it to the reason they're being punished
1b) there's too much time between the reason you're punishing them and the punishment itself, so they can't create a link between the two

I don't really feel those are intrinsic to physical punishment. I was routinely hit as a child and do not want to defend it in any way. But it was a) immediate and b) less upsetting for me than drawn out, humiliating punishments like naughty steps or long reproaches.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Mmm I was somehow never hit but got to watch all my older siblings get the poo poo beaten out of them regularly and I think it's bad actually

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

I feel like you may have this a bit backwards, we're not biologically predisposed to anything, literally all of our behaviours are the product of our social world in one form or another.

I’m a big proponent of the social aspect of behaviour but I don’t think this is true. You are biologically predisposed towards some things. Males do have an aggression in them that is very much biological, and it’s good that civilisation has, well, civilised us, but find me a man who doesn’t get a certain primal rush out of a violent situation and I’ll show you a liar.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

As a parent I will say that I sympathise hugely with the urge to give your kid a clip round the ear if they're being particularly arsey. There's been times I've felt like yeeting her through a window if she didn't just stop (or start) doing whatever (undoubtedly trivial in retrospect but all-consuming in the moment) thing that provoked the rising madness. However, it's crucial to *not do that* because you're the responsible adult and they're basically a tiny idiot who's learning how to interact with other humans.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
What if the child is a fascist?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Then obviously you bash them, duuuhhh

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

https://twitter.com/SadiqoJN/status/1070995854272675840?t=XHpuLsXDRyjpiEJwwzrLqA&s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's the closest that a radical voice has got to sparking a public debate on the abolition of the hierarchical family unit in decades.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I got the old open-handed clap round the arse a very small number of times as a child. It was very much a last resort after a day of me being a boundary pushing poo poo.

My father has subsequently apologised, made it clear that he was a product of his own upbringing, and has seen the world (and the dialogue around this) change for the better. I’ll never have children myself, it being a biological impossibility, but I would hope that I would never do this had I had children.

I don’t think it hosed me up. Or at least I don’t think it was that that hosed me up, hah.

The world moves on, and those who are decent recognise their mistakes and move with it. I am uncommonly lucky in this regard. My mother and father have switched from being voters who sat somewhere between Con and Lib to firmly ‘despairing lefties’ over the last five years, and we have constructive conversations about minority rights. I have a vivid memory of my mother hissing STOP STARING the first time I saw a trans human when I was under ten (ie, 25+ years ago) and then going on a long explanation that people deserved the right to live their authentic selves without scrutiny unless they were harming people.

Having parents who were both doctors was no walk in the park but at least they taught me that empathy was a non-negotiable requirement for being a decent human.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Streeting that ‘other parts of the U.K. are going in a different direction’… it’s a loving *Labour Government* that have outlawed beating your kid in Wales. They’re far from great but on this issue they’ve done a really good job of advocating and defending that change. You’d think he’d at least give a little more credit for that, but he couldn’t give a poo poo.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

So did we just talk about smacking and pissing all day and not even mention b Johnson?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Getting smacked as a child made me hate the adults that did it. Its unforgivable

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

EvilHawk posted:

Baker wants him to go so he can install himself (or whatever lackey Brexit group come up with) in power. He's hated Boris for a while for not being sufficiently Brexity.

No he hates Boris because Boris "believes" (emphasis quotes) in Net Zero.

Baker wants net zero gone.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So did we just talk about smacking and pissing all day and not even mention b Johnson?

Is there a piss tape with Mini Trump in it?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'd love to smack the piss out of Alexander dePfeff in Minecraft

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is there a piss tape with Mini Trump in it?

I mean yes there definitely is.

What was interesting on pm on radio 4 earlier was some guy salivating/talking about pictures of the downing Street parties coming out, suggesting it would be very difficult for BJ to keep up the "I didn't realise it was a party" line when pictures came out showing him smirk faced with his arms round someone who was not Carrie BJ ergo not in his bubble.

Then Evan Davies quickly interjected with "if such a photo were to exist..." And the other guy quickly corrected himself to agree.

But basically it sounds like that picture exists and they all know about cos it's weirdly specific otherwise and who goes around imagining pictures of Boris enjoying himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't he one of the other two people in the pig photos?