Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

come home after a long shift hauling office work around the office factory and idle my f350 in the driveway for 3 hours because i hate my family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wolfy posted:

come home after a long shift hauling office work around the office factory and idle my f350 in the driveway for 3 hours because i hate my family
A real carbrain should idle it in the garage to protect it from the elements

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mystes posted:

A real carbrain should idle it in the garage to protect it from the elements

The Garage as a Modern Burial Pyramid, The Pharaoh buried with his most precious earthly possessions: his F-350 and gas powered lawn maintenance tools and canned drink refrigerator.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

imagine if society treated the average carbrain this way

at least there's a corner of these dead gay internets that haven't been co-opted by 5 megatech corps that actually expunge these losers

NYC was also thinking of having a system where regular people could take a picture of a car parked illegally or a video of a driver running a red and send it in so the driver would get a fine. DOT is against it because they think people would be beaten or killed (and they're probably right).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1517137938835935233

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Nitevision posted:

The "peasant grinder" front grille motif is making its way into luxury sedans
https://twitter.com/marcspecht/status/1516813780633673731?s=20&t=GHfTciT_6nTvfaXacLKw4Q

Finally a car for Kathy: The Full Ack!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A bar in Atlanta built an outdoor patio over some of its parking spaces and is now in trouble with the city for not having enough parking spaces to meet code. This is in a pretty walkable area of the city with parks, multiuse paths, and public transportation. The owner of the bar says hardly any of its visitors drive there, so their lot is essentially subsidizing parking for other places. And then there's the literal danger of requiring parking at a place where people drink...

https://atlanta.eater.com/2022/4/19/23031765/97-estoria-cabbagetown-bar-parking-lot-patio-fight-atlanta

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

A bar in Atlanta built an outdoor patio over some of its parking spaces and is now in trouble with the city for not having enough parking spaces to meet code. This is in a pretty walkable area of the city with parks, multiuse paths, and public transportation. The owner of the bar says hardly any of its visitors drive there, so their lot is essentially subsidizing parking for other places. And then there's the literal danger of requiring parking at a place where people drink...

https://atlanta.eater.com/2022/4/19/23031765/97-estoria-cabbagetown-bar-parking-lot-patio-fight-atlanta
Parking minimums are the dumbest loving thing in the world

It's like mandating a minimum level of lead in water

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mystes posted:

It's like mandating a minimum level of lead in water

lol true

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://nypost.com/2022/04/20/florida-teen-drives-at-151-mph-charged-in-deaths-of-6-people/

It's really bizarre that we can't have the maximum speed of cars at least limited to something like 90mph that's already insane and above the maximum speed everywhere.

There's no logical reason it should even be possible to go 151 mph in a street legal vehicle.

But hey, according to the article, BMW is nice enough to limit their normal model to.... 155 mph unless you buy the fancier model:

quote:

A standard 2019 BMW M5 is electronically limited to 155 mph, but the competition model — priced at about $111,000 — allows it to reach 189 mph, according to a BMW dealer website cited by the paper.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mystes posted:

https://nypost.com/2022/04/20/florida-teen-drives-at-151-mph-charged-in-deaths-of-6-people/

It's really bizarre that we can't have the maximum speed of cars at least limited to something like 90mph that's already insane and above the maximum speed everywhere.

There's no logical reason it should even be possible to go 151 mph in a street legal vehicle.

But hey, according to the article, BMW is nice enough to limit their normal model to.... 155 mph unless you buy the fancier model:

no, people have to have the freedom to commit the crime and choose to not do it, otherwise society doesn't mean nothin' and we're all just hitlers

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

mystes posted:

they are really dumb but oof, it's a pretty large field for this prize

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

'No Way To Prevent This,' Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The investigation found that both the kid and the truck driver had done everything correctly. But the design of street put the kid and truck together, and the design of the truck prevented the driver from seeing the kid. No amount of rule following can solve this.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

I swear I've taken 10 years off my lifespan by hate-reading the comments on articles like this lol

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

How long before this kid is driving again? probably not that long. six fuckin' people killed for tiktok clout, jesus christ.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

quote:

Then, in a catastrophe of timing, Andre fell off his bike in the crosswalk near the front of the truck — just as the driver, with the light still red, decided it was safe to began turning right. The truck hit Andre. The driver, whose identity has not been released, realized he’d been in a crash only after bystanders flagged him down. The boy on the bike suffered severe injuries, and died in a hospital a short while later.

how is this "following the rules"??

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The Garage as a Modern Burial Pyramid, The Pharaoh buried with his most precious earthly possessions: his F-350 and gas powered lawn maintenance tools and canned drink refrigerator.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The rules don't include not hitting bikes/pedestrians or caring when you do

Sort of relevant to that: in the latest City Nerd video on YouTube he tangentially points out that the codes used to classify accidents have are a zillion reasons for a driver to get in an accident that aren't considered their fault (things like lighting conditions or road conditions, etc.) but essentially none for bikes/pedestrians.

mystes has issued a correction as of 19:18 on Apr 21, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

leftist heap posted:

He was turning right on red after a full stop. He never saw the kid because his huge truck wasn't designed for visibility and safety.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Legal right on red causes a 60% increase in pedestrian crashes, and a 100% increase in bike crashes

quote:

Precipitated by the OPEC oil embargo, the Energy Policy and Conservation Act of 1975 required states to allow rights on red to receive certain federal funds. Decades later, every state in the U.S. allows rights on red everywhere — other than New York City — except when prohibited by signage.

Letting drivers turn on red can save gas, but there is a trade-off. Though recent studies are lacking, the body of research shows that allowing rights on red compromises safety for people who walk and bike.

Permitting rights on red increases pedestrian crashes by 60 percent and bike crashes by 100 percent, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found in the 1980s.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/05/15/its-time-for-cities-to-rethink-right-turns-on-red/

love to design traffic laws around saving marginal amounts of gas during an oil embargo 50 years ago, at the cost of human life

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Polo-Rican posted:

I swear I've taken 10 years off my lifespan by hate-reading the comments on articles like this lol

John Gotti did nothing wrong

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

xpost from chicago thread:

Lake shore drive is 8 lanes and drivers basically don't obey the traffic signals because it drives like a highway though it's not one. The best part is that it runs through a major recreational area.

https://twitter.com/clarkstbikelane/status/1517146837177626629?s=20&t=DpZblSPo3Y8Lv8mEMHdMEQ

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

leftist heap posted:

Didn't feel the bump

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

nobody expects a banana in the tailpipe

yeah but that poo poo costs like $10

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

mystes posted:

the 155mph limiter is the "gentleman's agreement' between all the big carmakers to avoid an autobahn speed limit. "lets not go crazy guys, 250kph feels pretty sensible"

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

a_pineapple posted:

Lake shore drive is 8 lanes and drivers basically don't obey the traffic signals because it drives like a highway though it's not one. The best part is that it runs through a major recreational area.

https://twitter.com/clarkstbikelane/status/1517146837177626629?s=20&t=DpZblSPo3Y8Lv8mEMHdMEQ

when someone is assaulting you with a deadly weapon you should be allowed to aim center mass and fire until the threat is neutralized. i have no idea why only cops are allowed to treat cars as the weapons they are

(i do know why, it's rhetorical)

for :mods: i'm talking about when shitheaded coal-rollers are deliberately driving into oncoming traffic to murder you, not taking pot shots at random cars.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

had to stop by the elementary school my wife teaches at and oh my god i forgot how bad car lines to pick up the kids are. like 100 cars in a line just idling for an hour in the florida sun

i googled for a picture and found an article by a frustrated mom with tips to make it through the daily self inflicted traffic jam. serious car brain on display

"Arrive at least an hour early of the school’s closing time. Chances are you’ll be among the first 20 cars in the front of the line. You can take this hour opportunity to do things that you haven’t been able to fit into your busy schedule like reading, knitting or even sleeping. Arriving for car line 30 minutes early is an absolute no-no. Not only are you car #52 you’re also hanging out on the side of the street, with your car on park idle waiting"

These parents driving their kids are most likely choiced in to the school and live no where near. being able to pick what school you want so your pampered baby can go 50 minutes across town to a special magnet or whatever is loving terrible. sorry the school in your area isn't white enough for you, your kid will be fine i promise. who are these freaks that have all this free time to wait around in their car 5+ hours a week.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Norton posted:

had to stop by the elementary school my wife teaches at and oh my god i forgot how bad car lines to pick up the kids are. like 100 cars in a line just idling for an hour in the florida sun

i googled for a picture and found an article by a frustrated mom with tips to make it through the daily self inflicted traffic jam. serious car brain on display

"Arrive at least an hour early of the school’s closing time. Chances are you’ll be among the first 20 cars in the front of the line. You can take this hour opportunity to do things that you haven’t been able to fit into your busy schedule like reading, knitting or even sleeping. Arriving for car line 30 minutes early is an absolute no-no. Not only are you car #52 you’re also hanging out on the side of the street, with your car on park idle waiting"

These parents driving their kids are most likely choiced in to the school and live no where near. being able to pick what school you want so your pampered baby can go 50 minutes across town to a special magnet or whatever is loving terrible. sorry the school in your area isn't white enough for you, your kid will be fine i promise. who are these freaks that have all this free time to wait around in their car 5+ hours a week.

Does kids not ride buses anymore? Riding the bus owned as a kid wtf

e:Oh I read your last paragraph. I guess that makes slightly more sense in a stupid way

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Horace posted:

the 155mph limiter is the "gentleman's agreement' between all the big carmakers to avoid an autobahn speed limit. "lets not go crazy guys, 250kph feels pretty sensible"

155MPH is perfectly fine for the Autobahn though. You really shouldn't apply your gut feels to how infrastructure should work.

A train that goes 300KPH? Wow that's crazy! A plane going 600MPH? Someone should DO SOMETHING about these numbers, the are just too big for my meager brain!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
cars should explode if they go past 30km/h

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Norton posted:

americans love this

mystes
May 31, 2006

Norton posted:

Probably rich white people who really want to ensure that no dual income households that can't afford nannies can send their kids to the same school

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

a_pineapple posted:

isn't lake shore drive highway 41?

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Huh, I stand corrected. Thought it had some other designation.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

155MPH is perfectly fine for the Autobahn though. You really shouldn't apply your gut feels to how infrastructure should work.

A train that goes 300KPH? Wow that's crazy! A plane going 600MPH? Someone should DO SOMETHING about these numbers, the are just too big for my meager brain!

You can't finance a jetliner and drive it based on passing a single test when you're 16. And trains literally can't turn. The meager brains are coming from inside your head

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does kids not ride buses anymore? Riding the bus owned as a kid wtf

e:Oh I read your last paragraph. I guess that makes slightly more sense in a stupid way

If kids ride the bus all these cars end up blocking the road wherever the bus drops them off so they can be driven the final 1000 feet home

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

155mph is drat fast on an autobahn. most of the traffic is doing half that speed, and a lot of it is only two lanes.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I went to a semi rural school and I can assure you that there was a line of cars picking up their kids despite there being a bus system. It wasn't anything as bad as that article, but no one was switching over to our school system from some other district as that would require them to drive at least 20 minutes to get to a worse school.

Some people are just car brained, nothing more to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Nitevision posted:

You can't finance a jetliner and drive it based on passing a single test when you're 16. And trains literally can't turn. The meager brains are coming from inside your head

:iceburn: