Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

With the amount of poo poo the average Commander player lugs to every game, 4 tokens hardly matter. I'm sure there's some extra space in their 20-deck-carrying plastic hardware store nuts-and-bolts cases

:dukedog: All my poo poo is nicely put in a Gamegenic stronghold XL, and by next year will be sitting pretty in Prof's Gamegenic made deckbox. And yeah depending on the deck I'm rolling with I bring the appropriate tokens/spindown die/ little beads for counters. And or just use my phone to track Life, Commander Damage, and Infect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

fadam posted:

Makes sense that it took like six months or whatever to come up with this tbqh.

Good news, you'll finally be able to play Pioneer on Arena in 2025 or so.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Honestly, I'd love to be a messy, sarcastic bitch but I think that from the pro-tour announcement a few weeks ago to now is the longest run of good WotC decision in a while? Plus New Capenna looks good? WotC is based??

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Wait, New Capenna prerelease kits are faction based? Count me as another who hates when they do that. Probably going Cabaretti to hope to open a promo Jinnie Fay or Jetmir.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

Honestly, I'd love to be a messy, sarcastic bitch but I think that from the pro-tour announcement a few weeks ago to now is the longest run of good WotC decision in a while? Plus New Capenna looks good? WotC is based??

Its real loving suspicious IMO.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fadam posted:

This runs extremely counter to my experience playing Commander this year. Compared to constructed formats people are allergic to having tokens dice and life trackers. Some guy with an ugly rear end black-and-yellow tool box filled with like fifteen different commander decks tried to keep track of tokens he created by writing them down on a piece of loose leaf paper once. Never underestimate commander player's abilities to come unprepared to games.

Unrelated, but Arena Premier play road map here:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-premier-play-2022-04-21

And apparently we're getting news on the new format (still not Pioneer lol) that's being added to Arena.

And here I am agonizing over not having Jinnie Fay's exact cat and dog and what to use for them.

I was thinking these:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

And here I am agonizing over not having Jinnie Fay's exact cat and dog and what to use for them.

I was thinking these:

I love both. Custom Tokens are really cool imo, my buddy got a shitload off that site where you Make Playing Cards just to have on hand for when we play and they're awesome. I'll try to find a picture of his Shorikai pilot tokens, but they're cool black and white manga art of a mecha pilot.

I want a bunch of Najeela warrior tokens that are just 80s/90s action movie guys.

fadam fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 21, 2022

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

LifeLynx posted:

Wait, New Capenna prerelease kits are faction based? Count me as another who hates when they do that. Probably going Cabaretti to hope to open a promo Jinnie Fay or Jetmir.

Promos aren't tied to your family, they stopped doing that after everyone went Golgari in Guilds of Ravnica for Assassin's Trophy lol. In Strixhaven your promo could be from another house and it seems like that's the case this time as well. You could check the LRR pre-prerelease to make sure I guess

That said, I hate seeded prerelease kits as well and will just tell my LGS to grab one at random for me.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mandatory lesbian posted:

No like, i mean literally how would we know, prerelease for new capenna has not happened yet

Right, but we know the 9 cards that make up each gangs play suite. I was just curious if any had pulled ahead as clear winners due to a higher flexibility of their keywords. Just to get a leg up, obviously no plan survives contact with your sealed pool.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

No like, i mean literally how would we know, prerelease for new capenna has not happened yet

Stores get product pretty far in advance. Some stores have probably already received their pre-release stuff and probably already opened a good chunk of it. This has been this way for a long time.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
People attempt to make some sort of living off putting out content including pre-prerelease reviews and scores of every card in a limited format and how they expect it to perform given the set as a whole. It's not hard to imagine they don't have a good general ranking of the families, for people who care about min-maxing their prerelease chances.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

So at the moment Explorer is Historic but without the mystical archive or alchemy cards? Sounds kinda sweet.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Cactrot posted:

So at the moment Explorer is Historic but without the mystical archive or alchemy cards? Sounds kinda sweet.

Also missing some historic anthologies cards.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Explorer sounds neat, they might as well just get rid of historic imo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

teppichporsche posted:

Explorer sounds neat, they might as well just get rid of historic imo.

They both serve a purpose. Historic is just legacy lite.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cactrot posted:

It's everything legal in Pioneer that has been implemented into Arena, until they get enough of the older Pioneer stuff implemented that they can retire Explorer and start calling it Pioneer.

Here's a starting point for decklists (the What Was Written decks on MTGAZone):

https://mtgazone.com/decks/?_search=written

Huxley fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 21, 2022

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

fadam posted:

WotC is based??

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Absolutely every card in the Azorius Yorion Pioneer deck is on MTGA except for Supreme Verdict (and Rest in Peace in the sideboard). :getin:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LifeLynx posted:

People attempt to make some sort of living off putting out content including pre-prerelease reviews and scores of every card in a limited format and how they expect it to perform given the set as a whole. It's not hard to imagine they don't have a good general ranking of the families, for people who care about min-maxing their prerelease chances.

I have been listening to some of the prerelease limited discussions and the gist seems to be that Casualty and Blitz seem so synergistic that BR is a good pair to build on. But also the two most busted commons are W and G so

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Katana Gomai posted:

Absolutely every card in the Azorius Yorion Pioneer deck is on MTGA except for Supreme Verdict (and Rest in Peace in the sideboard). :getin:

Rest in Peace was included in Amonkhet Remastered.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sickening posted:

Its real loving suspicious IMO.

lmao. two months from now they're going to introduce, like, arena-only secret lairs for alchemy cards that you can't craft

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

We're really excited to announce that Alchemy has arrived on Magic Online, legal for play in the new Alchemy format, as well as in all eternal formats on Magic Online (Legacy, Vintage and Commander). Don't worry, balance updates will occur at the same time as on MTG Arena. Note: on Magic Online, Alchemy cards can only be acquired in chests, and cannot be bought or sold.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Wotc finally added the thing people have been asking about repeatedly instead of something no one wanted

What bizarro world is this?!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Koirhor posted:

Wotc finally added the thing people have been asking about repeatedly instead of something no one wanted

What bizarro world is this?!

Don't worry the players will find something to complain about, and if there isn't anything to complain about, they'll make something up, like this:

kalel posted:

lmao. two months from now they're going to introduce, like, arena-only secret lairs for alchemy cards that you can't craft

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Anyone know of a good site that does pack/sealed Sims. I can't make it to a pre release this weekend and want to at least pretend.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Elblanco posted:

Anyone know of a good site that does pack/sealed Sims. I can't make it to a pre release this weekend and want to at least pretend.

https://draftsim.com/

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Thank you!

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

There's also draftpod.org which I find has a better deckbuilding interface.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Don't worry the players will find something to complain about, and if there isn't anything to complain about, they'll make something up, like this:

Evwry post that guy makes is either complaining about FIRE design or making up a bad guy in his head, its quite bizzarre

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I will say

It's very silly to announce a new format people have been begging for for years

And not actually release the ability to queue for it for another 8 days

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

thanks for misrepresenting my post. btw I'm suing you for libel. have a nice day

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Huxley posted:

I will say

Im surprised they announced it so late, if i were them id have been screaming about it a month ago

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Huxley posted:

I will say

I saw 21st in the announcement and just assumed that it was releasing to queue today lol.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Huxley posted:

I will say

they're able to push format restrictions on the backend since they do it with midweek events, but i imagine anything more complex requires a client update + it wouldn't make enough sense to separate that out into its own patch a week before the new set release patch happens (plus iirc mobile stores get pissy if you have updates too often)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

they're able to push format restrictions on the backend since they do it with midweek events, but i imagine anything more complex requires a client update + it wouldn't make enough sense to separate that out into its own patch a week before the new set release patch happens (plus iirc mobile stores get pissy if you have updates too often)

Ah, I'm still at work and thought they did push a patch today. OK, sure.

soupy.
Jun 2, 2019

kalel posted:

thanks for misrepresenting my post. btw I'm suing you for libel. have a nice day

What did you do to these people before I started lurking O_o. I checked your posts and lol what a bunch of weirdos.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Huxley posted:

Ah, I'm still at work and thought they did push a patch today. OK, sure.

I had to download 4mb or so when I started it up on my phone, but that normal for thursdays.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Elblanco posted:

mtgen.net makes an attempt to get the actual seeded boosters - I don't know if they're 100% accurate, but you can pick a faction.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Cool format when are we getting the cards?
Because not calling it pioneer makes me think the answer is never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I always forget that people don't read