Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Is Warden even easier than Hunter? I've played that class for all of about 20 minutes.

Though to be honest, compared to launch, all of the classes are ezmode with the default difficulty level these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

OhFunny posted:

I just tried to login, but I see they brought the servers down thirty minutes ago, because every Runekeeper has lost their satchels.

RK finally nerfed into oblivion due to breaking lore. Patch working as intended.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

kedo posted:

Is Warden even easier than Hunter? I've played that class for all of about 20 minutes.

Though to be honest, compared to launch, all of the classes are ezmode with the default difficulty level these days.

Warden is difficult for purely technical reasons - you have to memorize combos to be effective. The class itself is if anything more powerful than Hunters, but it requires practice to get to that point.

Beorning is probably the easiest class to level at this point due to its survivability (heavy armor, self healing) and damage (aoe that wrecks faces on a quick cooldown). You can't port all over the world like Hunters can, but as you level that's much less of a concern as you start to unlock reputation-based teleports anyway.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Kaysette posted:

RK finally nerfed into oblivion due to breaking lore. Patch working as intended.

*grins in Lore-master*

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Is the LOTRO Starting Bundle worthwhile?
It's $10 and comes with
* Riding Skill
* Middle-earth Steed Selection Box
* Modest Virtue Pack
* 6-stack of Premium Housing Writs
* Universal Toolkit
* 500 silver
* Stout-axe
* Small Crafting Cary-all

I don't even know what most of this stuff is.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I know LOTRO is not at all a PvP focused game but out of curiosity how is the PvMP population these days? It was always pretty fun to mess around as a monster.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Reinstalled to grab the free stuff and I'm getting an error so I assume the servers are still down.

I wonder if they'll do any big sale on expansions. They did one early in the COVID lockdowns when they gave out tons of free stuff didn't they?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Servers still broke, yup

https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1516939055212212228?s=21&t=R1d7P_BDl_Ldt5Ux0xiK6w

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Just delete all Rune Keepers from the database, seems an easy fix.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Did they not QA the patch; very troubling to be down all day.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I wonder if they'll do any big sale on expansions. They did one early in the COVID lockdowns when they gave out tons of free stuff didn't they?

You get all the expansions except the latest one for free with the anniversary event. Outside the anniversary event I think they're making everything up to and including Rohan free for everyone.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Phoix posted:

I know LOTRO is not at all a PvP focused game but out of curiosity how is the PvMP population these days? It was always pretty fun to mess around as a monster.

If you pop into the discord I can invite you to the Landroval PvMP server. It's surprisingly active and fairly frequently does "MilkRuns" for new players to help them get the commendations for gear and deeds for map skills.

For real there's some drama from arkenstone vets who have transferred but there's usually close to 20 people playing on their scheduled days including a lot of newer folks... Think it's Tuesday Thursday and maybe Friday right now.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Ah, a Warden player. :v:

i need you to ease up on that callout so I can build up my combos but believe when when I'm done

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

servers are back up but it looks like some anniversary award item stuff is missing lol

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The level boosts are cool but I tend to think of them as giving up some valuable TP- especially early on you can get several hundred pretty easily. Glad they're being generous- I saw more people on today than I have in months

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Do people roleplay in this game? Is there a particular server that would good for that?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Do people roleplay in this game? Is there a particular server that would good for that?

Arkenstone
The main PvMP and a popular Raiding/Kinship server with decent Russian and English/American speaking populations and peak play time being between 7pm-2am ET (4pm-11pm PT, midnight-7am GMT).

Belegaer [DE]
A primarily German speaking mature role-play server.

Brandywine:
A fairly high population diverse server (PvMP, Raiding, RP, and music events) with decent Russian and English/American speaking populations.

Crickhollow
A relatively low population casual questing kinship server that sports an active music and special events community.

Evernight
A fairly high population mostly English/American speaking European server.

Gladden
A casual, mostly English/American server with peak times between 2pm-11pm ET (11am-8pm PT, 7pm-4am GMT).

Gwaihir [DE]
A primarily German speaking server.

Landroval
A fairly well populated at all times of day role-play encouraged server.

Laurelin
A fairly well populated at all times of day role-play server.

Sirannon [FR]
A primarily French speaking server.

Legendary progression servers (VIP subscription Only)
The Legendary servers start with only initial Level 50 and below content, with a focus on the Shadows of Angmar story. The level cap and story content unlocks over time, allowing players to enjoy the early story of The Lord of the Rings Online anew, together!

Anor
Currently level cap 120.

Shadowfax
Currently level cap 75.

Treebeard
Currently level cap 60.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

oops i forgot i need to learn the new LI system before using my 130 LM, is everything i need still in rivendell?

i looked over this guide but i feel like my sense of the meta or what traits do/don't suck is very rusty

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Alright give me some advice for when I make a beorning later. Red line and just :killdozer: everything is the way to go, I assume?

I forget what crafts I have trained, I think champion was a yeoman because I leveled them from something like 10 to 50 via semi-afk farming/cooking in bree, but I assume crafted gear's still dirt cheap off the AH early on if there's anything I can't make myself.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Demon Of The Fall posted:

[lots of server info]

Holy moly, thank you very much!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Kaysette posted:

oops i forgot i need to learn the new LI system before using my 130 LM, is everything i need still in rivendell?

i looked over this guide but i feel like my sense of the meta or what traits do/don't suck is very rusty
My opinion would be to wait until level 131 to open your tracery boxes. That way they will be item level 450 instead of 400 and you can save a bunch of level up runes.

Oh and I use the guides over on this site to figure out what traceries to get:
https://lotrohq.com/red-hunter/

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Alright give me some advice for when I make a beorning later. Red line and just :killdozer: everything is the way to go, I assume?

If you want to solo stuff, yellow line makes you basically unkillable.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

The DPS are probably pretty anemic at that point I take it? I'm not sure if I'll use the lvl 50 level booster immediately or not but I'm not planning to go solo 3 man dungeons or anything like that.

...plus if I want to do that for gear with ideal stats (I assume Beorning want the might/offense/crit type stuff like champions?) I'd probably just kill a lower level place like Warg Pens using my Captain unless you can't do that to farm account-bound gear for alts any more

e: Oh god, logging in on the new Beorning filled 4 out of 6 of my inventory bags with various anniversary and goodies from years of expansions.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 21, 2022

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Any word on if the patch made Brawler good?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Kaysette posted:

LotROHQ is the main site for tracking what's the current high-level meta. There's some levelling builds as well but most of the content is aimed at endgame/raiding. And yeah, everything's still in one tiny room in Rivendell (other side of the building from Elrond, 2nd floor).

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 22, 2022

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Comrade Koba posted:

red line also makes you unkillable through the expedient of killing anything that looks at your hairy butt.

imho Beornings have enough healing for soloing without going far into yellow line, group healing is another story.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Holy moly, thank you very much!

The big nazgun Kin is on Landroval, but it's been fairly inactive recently. Hoping some folks will come join me there! We have a kin house paid out forever and it's pretty well populated and has a big PvMP community too - a bunch of arkenstone people are migrating here and coordinating events almost daily.

But no, no one really rps here except maybe in the roleplay chat that I don't know if people use. It's labeled RP but some older servers were merged here and... Well there's a lot of goofy character names and banning those people used to be all I ever saw of "RP" anyway. Still lots of lovely Tolkien nerds making GBS threads up world chat.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

e: Oh god, logging in on the new Beorning filled 4 out of 6 of my inventory bags with various anniversary and goodies from years of expansions.

Everyone open their inventory, click Edit Mode in toolbar on the top left, and drag rows from other bags into your Bag1 window. Built in UI element editing!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I regret using these level boosts on my minstrel because now I have no idea what's going on. Think I'll retire her as a tourist character who's just there to check out places from the books and start a new character to level organically.

I also regret throwing away the riding skill learning thing to make space instead of realising that I can just mail it to an alt. Live and learn!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

The DPS are probably pretty anemic at that point I take it?

Haven’t tried the other lines much yet, but I recently soloed mixed groups of signature and elite mobs in the huge orc camp zone in the North Downs on my lv.32 Beorning and it didn’t feel like it took forever. Regular mobs still just melt in a few seconds.

Did try red line for a little bit in the Lone-lands and while the DPS was good it wasn’t enough to keep me alive when fighting 3-4+ signature
mobs in the group areas in the northeast part of the zone.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 22, 2022

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Didn't realize my Captain was still just level 100, thought they were higher. Champion's only 75 but has a bunch of level 65-75 teal gear including a 2nd axe 1h axe that was probably really good when I last played them.

I think I'm going to push my Beorning to 50 with the Moria item since I don't really need to play 1-50 for the 6th time and just using them a bit at lower levels was interesting enough to want to try it further. It seems like I could use the 105 and 120 leveling items on 2 other characters as well right? Pushing my champion to 105 and captain to 120 might be worthwhile though I'll be utterly lost with how to use the new LI system and miss god knows how much story for the 100-105 range.

Lum_ posted:

LotROHQ is the main site for tracking what's the current high-level meta. There's some levelling builds as well but most of the content is aimed at endgame/raiding. And yeah, everything's still in one tiny room in Rivendell (other side of the building from Elrond, 2nd floor).

Looking at that site I see red line DPS captain mentioned in it. If DPS captains are a viable thing(???) once again that'd be cool, since captain was always fun but good god the slow kill speed. I assume boosting my champ or beorning would result in a character that shreds enemies several times faster too.

Comrade Koba posted:

Haven’t tried the other lines much yet, but I recently soloed mixed groups of signature and elite mobs in the huge orc camp zone in the North Downs on my lv.32 Beorning and it didn’t feel like it took forever. Regular mobs still just melt in a few seconds.

Did try red line for a little bit in the Lone-lands and while the DPS was good it wasn’t enough to keep me alive when fighting 3-4+ signature
mobs in the group areas in the northeast part of the zone.

Yeah that seems fair. Just the default heal + tag skill that yellow ling gets looks ridiculously powerful. At level 9 it was something like "heal 320 morale and then if you're marked get another 50-68 morale every 3 seconds for 15 seconds) on a character with maybe 600hp total. I wish I'd tried to solo the elite warg in the blackwold area when I saw it because that much healing might've made it doable. Downside is that I can't do poo poo like fast travel on them because I need to either buy it or do a month of VIP (and I assume a month of VIP and then logging in on all your new alts is the way to go). :v:

queeb posted:

servers are back up but it looks like some anniversary award item stuff is missing lol

What all is still missing? I had a ton of poo poo when I logged in, including a couple of small [item type] carry-alls, which seem to just be the upgraded wallet version of craft/rep/etc item mini storage in your inventory?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Think some people with some claimed unlocks who logged in instantly got their stuff revoked in the reset and they're working to reimburse.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
As someone who just wants to check out the free quest packages that were given out a while ago, would using a level 50 level boost help me get to that? Is there something in the first 50 levels i should check out story or gameplay wise? I looked up what was in the pack and it has riding skill, do i have to boost to 50 to get to that or can i just open the box and take the skill? I'm enjoying beorning but im at level 10 or so and the questing isn't super exciting yet.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

The text content of lotro is arguably the only interesting part of the game. If you skip to 50, you're going to be dodging a good amount of grinding, just up to Moria which was one of the first, more interesting expansions. You can probably get there with the Book quests and other lore-based objectives, though. That being said, aside from the recent Yondershire expansion and the February Trollshaws expansion, the non-book-quest early game content is VERY old and genuinely boring. 50 might be a good spot to start. Moria is fun, you can go back to the old areas and do story quests do while over leveled and learning some mechanics and grinding class trait progress along the way.

Used to be that getting rep with the earlier locations was important for crafting and travelling, so getting kindred rep there would give you Return skills that were otherwise unachievable. But from what I can tell they are throwing in a lot more "free" travel points so it's not as important to get kindred with Bree or Mathom Society, etc.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 22, 2022

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

Woah they gave out so much free stuff for this anniversary lol. I think this might finally motivate me to max my Dwarf Minstrel. I've never maxed a single character because I would either be on a hiatus, playing other toons, or distracted by in-game features other than levelling. I had reached the Havens of Belfalas last summer before I went on another big hiatus, but I want to see how far I can go before the LOTR TV series comes out.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Any word on when the Brawler is going to be available for purchase in the store for LotRO-bucks?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

holy crap. this is so much free poo poo. Does EVERYONE get all this? I can't even really quantify how much stuff I've gotten. A level boost to 50, one to 105, one to 120. A large and a small carry all and boxes in boxes in boxes

edit: is there a way to look up everything ive bought in the past whether it be expansions or other items

Sankis fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 22, 2022

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/lotro/comments/u7lxz8/anniversary_rewards_sorted_by_type_so_you_know/

A Corgi for every boy and girl.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 22, 2022

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
If you're off or work from home, it's the twitch day with a couple devs and GMs typically going onto every server one at a time and spamming giant monsters in Bree, dropping items people will spam click to pick up (usually bound unique or rare pets, some titles, maybe a mount)

https://forums.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=8135255#post8135255

https://twitch.tv/lotrostream

One problem is they haven't done a scheduled time per server in years, so some servers could be completely rushed, like 15 minutes even out of the whole day and unplanned in order. You can also just skip it or tune in when you're bored, they gave away so much content/rewards this year I'm mostly hoping to hear some nostalgic dev talk if I watch a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Sankis posted:

edit: is there a way to look up everything ive bought in the past whether it be expansions or other items
Yep, your expansion purchases should be on https://myaccount.standingstonegames.com