Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eifert Posting posted:

I have heard people say that SDSU punter literally refuses to directionaly punt and insists on just booting the ball down the middle of the field. If that's true that's hilarious and stupid.

I mean, I don't think this is true but hell if it was it worked out pretty well so far. You don't get to be called punt god out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If I'm Howie, I absolutely trade one of the firsts for Deebo. Good chance Eagles draft a WR anyway and I much rather have a proven vet than an inevitable bust

You think SF would do it? They have no first round picks. Philly is holding several.

MakaVillian posted:

Baalke is stupid so maybe this will happen!

I don't think it's that stupid from Jacksonville's end. If Deebo were pushing 30 I might but in this draft class?

Get your WR1 to put next to Kirk and pair them up with Trevor. Let Doug do his thing. Maybe get a player in the deal and some picks. WTF do the Jags have to lose here?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 21, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I wouldn't trade for Philly's pick. By 18 the best DEs and WRs are gone most likely.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Deboo is a perfect fit for Baltimore. Problem is his major issue with staying in SF seems to be his innovative hybrid RB/WR usage which has been putting more wear and tear on his body and that hybrid usage potential is exactly why he'd be such a perfect fit for Baltimore. As a straight up conventional WR Deboo is a good player but likely not worth breaking the bank over.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I think #10 overall and #69 is enough to get it done if Joe Douglas is willing.

I'd probably prefer giving up #10 over the Tyreek Hill offer of #35, #38, and #69 just because this draft is more flat through the early rounds.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
One of those things where you don't necessarily believe it but you want to believe it. I desperately want to believe that there's some punter version of Jeff George from Too Much Mustard out there that thinks just booting the ball down the field as far as you can is some sort of moral obligation.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diva Cupcake posted:

I'd probably prefer giving up #10 over the Tyreek Hill offer of #35, #38, and #69 just because this draft is more flat through the early rounds.

#10 was reportedly never even on the board for any Tyreek package so...I guess Deebo is way younger and might last longer/be a little cheaper but you'd assume it wouldn't be on the board there either.

Eifert Posting posted:

One of those things where you don't necessarily believe it but you want to believe it. I desperately want to believe that there's some punter version of Jeff George from Too Much Mustard out there that thinks just booting the ball down the field as far as you can is some sort of moral obligation.

I hope he ends up with whoever has the worst offense in the league. Just constantly pinned inside their 10 yard line having to punt so he can do his thing.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1517225312278437890?t=E_XELh-iZUUh9zpNo8J1Yw&s=19

"everyone in the courtroom groans at my poo poo"

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

The commissioner makes me take off my Germain Ifedi jersey, revealing a L.J. Collier jersey underneath.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

#10 was reportedly never even on the board for any Tyreek package so...I guess Deebo is way younger and might last longer/be a little cheaper but you'd assume it wouldn't be on the board there either.
He's not that much younger, but yeah, a 26 year old 1st team All Pro with a cost controlled year upfront is probably more valuable than Hill from a contract/longevity with team standpoint.

Jets also getting increasingly desperate for a WR1 so if they were planning on drafting WR @ 10 anyways, it makes sense to just go there from the jump.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

I think #10 overall and #69 is enough to get it done if Joe Douglas is willing.

I honestly can’t fault this logic. Id feel the same way.

It’d be pretty fun if both teams got their prize super stud receiver. It’d be a fun 2-4 years

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I mean thats obvious but also it's obvious your drafting has been poo poo so maybe both sides yadda yadda yadda

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

If I'm Howie, I absolutely trade one of the firsts for Deebo. Good chance Eagles draft a WR anyway and I much rather have a proven vet than an inevitable bust

Someone tell me about punters. This year is supposedly the best punter draft in eons

Araiza and Stonehouse both loving rule

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Eifert Posting posted:

He’s not opposed to directional kicking, but he does think pure length on punts is undervalued, and it’s a pretty straightforward line of thought. People are too scared of giving up a 10 yard return on a 55 yard punt and opt for a 40 yard max hangtime kick instead, which leaves you with worse field position. Or they’re worried about a touchback on a kick where giving the other team the ball at the 20 would still be an effective flip of field position, so they don’t let it rip. Dude measured out as a good net punter so it seems like there might be some merit to the philosophy

Article about it here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-nations-best-punter-is-changing-the-game/amp/

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kiper was asked to ranked the OL prospects in the context of the past 3 draft classes.

quote:

1. Penei Sewell (2021)
2. Rashawn Slater (2021)
3. Icky Ekwonu (2022)
4. Evan Neal (2022)
5. Jedrick Wills Jr. (2020)
6. Mekhi Becton (2020)
7. Tristan Wirfs (2020)
8. Andrew Thomas (2020)
9. Charles Cross (2022)

Amy Pole Her posted:

I honestly can’t fault this logic. Id feel the same way.

It’d be pretty fun if both teams got their prize super stud receiver. It’d be a fun 2-4 years
:hfive: At the end of the day, we all just want the Patriots to finish in last place.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Since I guess we are just making poo poo up in this forum Facebook style now I heard that Jordan Davis had limited snaps because he thinks water is Devil Juice and needs to drain two full IV bags every drive or his hamstring explodes

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Diva Cupcake posted:

Kiper was asked to ranked the OL prospects in the context of the past 3 draft classes.

Revisionist. Leading into last year's draft everybody's consensus was that Sewell and Slater would have barely been in the top five of the previous year's tackle class.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

NFL Draft Thread 2022 - No Mel Kiper Zone

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

a neat cape posted:

Araiza and Stonehouse both loving rule

The Georgia punter ran a 4.56 40

lots of steroids in Athens

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Georgia punter ran a 4.56 40

lots of steroids in Athens

Or he may have had the grits shits.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diva Cupcake posted:

Kind of alright. Thomas is criminally underrated now because the Giant's o-line sucks and he was bad for a few games his rookie year. He only gave up two sacks last year with the cavalcade of poo poo behind him and next to him. Wirfs is also pretty dominant and definitely better than Wills. Becton of course is currently eating himself out of the league and wasn't very good when he was playing so goes to show how much Kiper pays attention to college and the pros. But yes Sewell, Slater, and possibly Neal were better prospects coming out than everyone else. Thomas is more akin to Neal in how they play but Neal has the potential to be a much bigger version while also being way more dominant in the run game. Ekwonu is kind of getting the overrated bat at this point. He's no slouch but he's not this slam dunk OT prospect. The hope is that he can stick outside, not that he will, and it's mainly because he plays with reckless dominance that you don't exactly want for a pocket setter.

In terms of heralded promise coming out it's more like:

1. Penei Sewell
2. Rashawn Slater
3. Evan Neal
4. Andrew Thomas
5. Charles Cross
6. Tristan Wirfs
7. Christian Darrisaw
8. Ickey Ekwonu
9. Mekhi Becton
10. Jedrick Wills Jr.

I still think Mekhi Becton was overrated coming out and he kind of ate himself out of the league already, plus the juries still out on all these guys. Either way last year had Alijah Verta-Tucker and Darrisaw who would be challenging for top 10 in this lovely draft.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You have Cross below Neal but have them flipped in your draft doc

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I said heralded coming out or else I wouldn't have Becton on the list at all

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

roger, thought you may have been changing your mind

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Wait. Are we seriously discussing punters and their 40 yard dash times?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BiggerBoat posted:

Wait. Are we seriously discussing punters and their 40 yard dash times?

Sometimes you fake a punt.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the juries still out on all these guys.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

TheGreyGhost posted:

Like, Walter loving football probably watches more tape than kiper now and it doesn’t help him be any better at the job.

No, you cannot convince me that Walter has ever even seen a football

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1517544760839491584?t=-EFx2tFO-1ihwrhnbhCYuA&s=19

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Nice Kellen Moore comp

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
More McGinnmas

https://www.golongtd.com/p/part-2-ol-trevor-penning-total-prick?s=r

https://www.golongtd.com/p/part-3-q...aINk_lYPxJc&s=r

edit quoting QBs because I think he pay walls this after a while:

quote:

Stemming mostly from desperation, it’s possible some team might select one of this year’s quarterbacks in the top 10 of the NFL draft.

Based on interviews with executives in personnel across the league, the consensus is that none of the quarterbacks deserve to go that high even in a draft that’s unusually short of blue-chip prospects.

But let’s assume the first 10 selections come and go without a quarterback. The last time that happened was 2013. In fact, it’s only occurred five times in the last 35 years.

Entering those five drafts (2013, 2000, 1997, 1991 and 1988), the forecast among scouts regarding those quarterbacks classes was about as bleak as it is today.

“I’ll tell you right now, I don’t like any of those quarterbacks in the first round,” one evaluator said this month. “You can have all of them. Just backups. If any of those guys are starting for you, you’re not going to the Super Bowl.”

Who were the first quarterbacks taken in those off years? The list includes E.J. Manuel (No. 16) by Buffalo in 2013, Chad Pennington (No. 18) by the Jets in 2000, Jim Druckenmiller (No. 26) by the 49ers in 1997, Dan McGwire (No. 16) by the Seahawks in 1991 and Tom Tupa (No. 68), who also punted, by the Cardinals in 1988.

Pennington enjoyed a solid, non-Pro Bowl, 11-year career with the Jets and Dolphins, won two of six playoff games and finished with a passer rating of 90.1. As for the others, bust hardly begins to describe their levels of ineptitude.

Manuel was the best, fashioning a 6-12 record and 77.1 rating in a five-year career. As for Druckenmiller, McGwire and Tupa, they combined to start 19 games (seven were wins) and throw 15 touchdowns compared to 35 interceptions.

You can’t say the Bills, Jets, 49ers, Seahawks and Cardinals weren’t warned about those latter-day quarterback classes.

In 2013, Geno Smith finished first and Matt Barkley second in my poll of scouts rating the quarterbacks. Manuel was third.

“I think they’re all bad,” an NFC evaluator said. “It’s such a crappy group. You look at them, is anyone sold on any of these guys?”

As wacky as it might be, the best quarterbacks in 2013 turned out to Smith and Mike Glennon.

In 2000, Pennington led my rankings ahead of Chris Redman and Tee Martin. Marc Bulger, who was No. 4 on the list, had a good career with the Rams. And you might remember No. 9 quarterback, Tom Brady of Michigan.

“Personally, I don’t think there’s a first-round quarterback in this draft,” said Tom Donahoe, the Steelers’ director of football operations.

In 1997, it was Druckenmiller followed by Jake “The Snake” Plummer atop my rankings. This was another terrible year at the position. Plummer was the only quarterback that did anything. At the time, the Giants had a woeful quarterback room of Dave Brown and Danny Kanell. In the sixth round, they took a flyer on Murray State’s Mike Cherry.

“One of our quarterbacks better come through because there ain’t none out there,” Tom Boisture, the Giants’ director of player personnel, said not long before the draft. “It’s getting to be pretty drat grim.”

In 1991, my top quarterback was Brett Favre. However, he went No. 33 behind McGwire and Todd Marinovich, who went No. 24 to the Raiders.

“I don’t think there’s a real, real top one,” 49ers director of college scouting Tony Razzano said. “But these guys will play in the league.”

Favre became a legend, but no one else from that draft even played.

(Ed’s Note: Icymi, here’s McGinn’s two-part series on “The Rise of Brett Favre.”)

And, in 1988, I had Chris Chandler first, Stan Humphries second and Tupa third. Chandler, who went eight slots after Tupa, and Humphries, a sixth-round choice, would lead teams to the Super Bowl. As for Tupa, he went on to punt for more than a decade after getting a chance to start at quarterback in 1991 and coming up well short.

Asked for his overall assessment of the class, Boisture replied, “I’m not going to answer that. I don’t want to ding any of those guys, but I guarantee you one will go in the first round. It isn’t the strongest draft we’ve ever had, you know.”

The same might be said for next week. After drafting 12 quarterbacks among the top 10 of the last four drafts, and eight among the top five, the dozen or so teams that should be interested in a quarterback more than likely will make their selections sooner than later.

“This is the worst group I think I’ve ever done,” a scout with more than 20 years of NFL service said. “The only one that has a chance legitimately is (Kenny) Pickett. He’s the only starter. Everybody’s grasping for these guys.”

A generation ago, before so many rules change made it easier on quarterbacks and only accentuated their worth, running backs were a valuable commodity. In the six drafts from 1996-’01, almost twice as many running backs (19) as quarterbacks (10) went off in the first round.

Despite the daunting hit-and-miss rate at the position, teams can’t and won’t stop selecting quarterbacks higher than their draft boards would suggest.

A panel of 17 personnel people were asked to rate the quarterbacks 1-2-3-4-5, with a first-place vote worth 5 points, a second-place vote worth 4 and so on.

Pickett led the way with 72 points compared to 69 for Malik Willis, but Willis had nine firsts compared to Pickett’s six. Matt Corral was next with 43 points and one first, followed by Desmond Ridder (35, one), Sam Howell (30), Carson Strong (three) and Bailey Zappe (three).

“When you look back at it, second-round quarterbacks almost don’t even exist,” an NFC scout said. “It’s like you either take them in the first round or they’re not a guy … outside the obvious ones like Brady and (Russell) Wilson.”

Of the 31 qualifying quarterbacks last season, 71% entered the league as first-round picks. The exceptions were Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo and Jalen Hurts in Round 2, Davis Mills and Wilson in Round 3, Dak Prescott and Kirk Cousins in Round 4, Brady in Round 6 and Taylor Heinicke as an undrafted free agent.

A personnel man for an AFC team confident in its quarterbacks paused to consider the unappealing options in the draft and give thanks for his situation. “I’d hate to actually be depending on picking your quarterback,” he said.

When scouts were asked which quarterback had the best chance to bust, one shot back, “Every one of them.”

Willis was the clear-cut leader in the bust poll with nine votes, followed by Corral with four, Howell with 1 ½, Pickett and Strong one apiece and Ridder one-half.

“It’s not good if you need a quarterback,” another AFC exec said in a most somber tone of voice.

Part 1, WR/TE: Does size matter?

Part 2, OL: Trevor Penning, 'total prick' in trenches, leads class of rear end-kickers

RANKING THE QUARTERBACKS
1. KENNY PICKETT, Pittsburgh (6-3, 219, 4.71, 1): It’s the most common comment made by scout about Pickett: he’s the most ready to play of all the quarterbacks. How good he will play is the question. “There’s nothing there that says he’s going to be a top-half of the league starter,” said one scout. “I don’t think you’ll take him and think, ‘We solved our problem here.’ When you’re in quarterback purgatory it’s not a good place to be. I wouldn’t be mad about taking him. But if I’m the GM I wouldn’t be thinking I’m saving my job.” Came from prospect oblivion in 2021, enjoying by far his best season. “He hadn’t really done anything in his career and he had a hell of a year,” said a second scout. “You’ve got to give that to him. The production and the winning and the playmaking that he showed. He makes good decisions. He’s got moxie. I just don’t think that he’s talented physically. He’s a need-everything-to-go-perfect-for-you starter, not an upper-echelon, I’m winning-games-because-of-you starter.” Rated merely the 11th best overall prospect in New Jersey (Oakhurst) as a prep. Fifth-year senior, four-year starter. “Yeah, he is (the best), but he’s reached his ceiling,” a third scout said. “Mark Whipple (Pitt’s offensive coordinator-quarterbacks coach the past three seasons) has done everything he can to get him ready. He’s done a magnificent job. He will wind up like Matt Hasselbeck. That’s the physical comparison.” Entering 2021 with an NFL passer rating of 82.9 before registering 116.6 in his swan song. His career mark was 92.9. “His arm is plenty good enough to be efficient,” said a fourth scout. “He can make every throw he needs to make. He’s a good athlete for the position. If he had 9 ½-inch hands I don’t think we’re having this discussion in terms of is he a first-rounder.” His hands measured a tiny 8 ½, largely the result of being born with double-jointed thumbs. “That (rainy) weather day in Mobile, it was embarrassing,” said a fifth scout. “It was like he was throwing a watermelon. He couldn’t grip the ball.” One scout said the difference in the football from the college to pro game and the later NFL season resulting in more rough weather could make his small hands even more of an issue. “He’s produced the most and been the most efficient,” a seventh scout said. “That’s the only reason I put him No. 1. I wouldn’t take him in the first round with the hands. He wears the gloves all the time. He has a chance to bust.” Scored 17 on the Wonderlic.

Type your email…
Subscribe
Share Go Long

2. MALIK WILLIS, Liberty (6-0 ½, 223, no 40, 1): Backed up Jarrett Stidham at Auburn in 2017-’18 before entering the transfer portal the following spring when coach Gus Malzahn placed Bo Nix and another quarterback ahead of him. Sat out the season at Liberty, then started 23 games in 2020-’21. “He’s not the most ready right now but he’s by far No. 1 on this list,” one scout said. “He’s got the best arm of the group. He throws a pretty looking ball. He’s super athletic. He’s a really good kid. He’s going to take some time as far as mental development, but as far as physical talent this guy has everything. You hope for a situation when KC drafted (Patrick) Mahomes. They didn’t have to play him right away. It’s gonna take some balls to pick him but you’ve gotta have brains also. If you throw this kid to the fire right away you’re going to ruin him.” His Wonderlic of 32 ranked third best among the top 12 quarterbacks. “It’s the processing, just going from the Auburn system he was in to Liberty’s spread system,” said a second scout. “He’s got the aptitude to catch up once he gets to the NFL. If he can go to a situation where he’s got some time with a quarterback bridge. Somewhere like Atlanta with (Marcus) Mariota, even Seattle with the combination of Drew Lock and Geno Smith.” Finished with a passer rating of 103.1. Rushed for 2,131 yards and 29 touchdowns. Fumbled 17 times in 2020, three times in ’21. “You’ve got to be like the Ravens and commit to what he can do,” a third scout said. “He is explosive. Got a big arm and all that. Just with the mental, I think he’s the one that busts. Chad Kelly lit it up in that (Hugh Freeze-coached) offense. He didn’t pee a drop in the NFL. Was that more character-driven? Yes. But name me somebody from that offense that made the jump to the NFL? Cam Newton’s about the only one. It’s really a sort of spread option. Very RPO-based.” Hands were 9 ½. His 40 time was estimated at 4.47 by one scout. “There is hope,” a fourth scout said. “He’s an athletic half-field read dude. He’s not Michael Vick. He’s in that herd category of quarterback that comes from a system that has to read the full field (in the NFL). The big question is, will he ever be able to win from the pocket, which you have to do in the NFL?” From Atlanta, Ga.

Getty Images
3. MATT CORRAL, Mississippi (6-1 ½, 215, no 40, 1-2): Fourth-year junior. “It’s the tale of two Corrals,” one scout said. “The first few years at Ole Miss he was an absolute (off-field mess). Then the back half he’s the greatest leader and the toughest guy they’ve ever had. (Ole Miss) Lane Kiffin called him the best quarterback in the country. He’s in a system where basically it’s all predetermined. He throws every ball on a line. He doesn’t have a lot of touch.” Started for 2 ½ years, finishing with a passer rating of 106.5. Hands were 9 5/8. “I’d rather have Corral than Willis,” another scout said. “There’s a body quickness that I like. He’s got a very fast release. I know the system bothers some people in terms of a lot of RPO, but there’s elements of that in the league. He can have some early success if he gets in an offense that allows him to throw it around the lot a little bit. He throws it well enough. I’m more worried about him getting hurt. He’s not a big dude.” Rushed 334 times in 37 games (27 starts), gained 1,338 (4.0) and scored 18 TDs. Departed his first high school in California and went elsewhere as a senior after getting into a physical altercation with the son of hockey great Wayne Gretzky. Wonderlic of 15 was the lowest among the top 12 at the position. “He has the biggest bust potential,” a third scout said. “By far. He’s got a lot of off-the-field poo poo. He’s little. He gets hurt a lot … He’s not as big of a dickhead as this guy was, but there’s a lot of Johnny Manziel to this guy. Party boy. The team likes him more than they respect who he is overall because he’s a baller on Saturday. I wouldn’t bet on that guy. He plays in a backyard football scheme and doesn’t have to do much mentally. He’s at the line of scrimmage with one read.” His speed was estimated by a scout at 4.82. From Ventura, Calif.

4. DESMOND RIDDER, Cincinnati (6-3 ½, 213, 4.55, 1-2): Led the upwardly mobile Bearcats to a 43-6 record in four years as their starter. “He kinds of reminds me body-wise of Sam Bradford,” one scout said. “Good over-the-top release. Good athlete, good arm strength. Throws the ball very well to the left for a right-handed quarterback. I look for that when I do a quarterback. Has deep-ball accuracy. He’s slippery dipping under pressure. I just didn’t like his thin lower body. I don’t know if that will affect him or not.” Career passer rating of 99.9, including 109.3 as a senior. “He’s not as accurate as Pickett,” said a second scout. “That’s really where the difference is. He’s worthy of taking a shot at in the first round. Are you going to feel like you solved your problems? Or just hoping for the best?” Helped himself at the combine, running the fastest 40 and leading the way in the vertical jump (36 inches) and broad jump (10-7). “He won some big games,” a third scout said. “He’s a very talented athlete for his size. I really questioned his accuracy. The biggest knock on him was his accuracy. You’ve got to figure out if that’s correctable or not.” Ran for 2,180 yards (4.4) and 28 TDs. Wonderlic of 19. Largest hands (10) at the position. ”He didn’t have a good pro day,” a fourth scout said. “He’s the most overrated and is going to benefit from a not very good quarterback class. His intangibles are excellent. He’s a winner. He’s an athlete. I just don’t think he’s a natural passer. His release isn’t very quick. His arm strength is OK. I don’t see a starter.” From Louisville, Ky.

Getty Images
5. SAM HOWELL, North Carolina (6-0 ½, 224, no 40, 1-2): Third-year junior with 37 straight starts. “Like him,” one scout said. “He’s a gunslinger. I like the aggression he plays with. Got a strong arm. Can go vertical. He’s a good athlete for the position. He’s got the makeup to play early and be efficient. He can take advantage of your weapons. He’s got the arm to reach ‘em.” Slipped back in 2021 after the Tar Heels lost many of their best skill-position players to the NFL. Passer ratings were 112.3 in 2019, 122.1 in ’20 and 103.1 in ’21. Still, his career mark of 112.5 was the best of the top 12 passers. “Pound for pound he’s one of the toughest guys in the draft,” another scout said. “His offensive line stunk and he got the poo poo beat out of him. He’s not afraid to run, and he pops right back up. What’s interesting is, with his leadership, he’s almost a mute. He has no vocal presence at all. But he’s a three-time captain and he’s tough and he goes out and balls. He’s kind of weird; he only leads by example. Joe Flacco was that same way and he ended up to be pretty good. A good comparison is a more talented Gardner Minshew. Just a baller, you know?” Also rushed 369 times for 1,009 (2.7) and 17 TDs. Wonderlic of 34. Hands were 9 1/8. “Everybody wants to compare him to Baker Mayfield,” said a third scout. “It’s not even close. He’s just another short quarterback who’s thick and got an OK arm. In 2020, he had great receivers around him. He didn’t have poo poo around him this year and he struggles. He feels it (pressure). Just a backup.” From Indiana Trail, N.C.

6. CARSON STRONG, Nevada (6-3 ½, 230, no 40, 3-6): Fourth-year junior, three-year starter. “From a physical component standpoint he’s like the best pure pocket passer in the draft,” one scout said. “He has good arm strength and can throw accurate touch balls. But he can’t avoid the rush. He’s Paxton Lynch 2.0. He’s got an arm, but he’s a statue. That will always be his downfall. It all comes down to the right knee.” His knee problems began late in his prep career at Vacaville, Calif. Had surgery on the knee in high school and then two more in college. “He reminded me of Nick Foles,” another scout said. “He can’t move. He’s got a bad knee. He can get pretty streaky.” Finished with a passer rating of 103.4. Never ran for a TD. “I’d take him in the third but he’s got a bad knee,” said a third scout. “He throws the football as good as any of ‘em. But he’s probably got the best chance to bust because he’s got a bad knee.” Hands were 9 1/8. Wonderlic of 22. “That guy’s got no chance,” a fourth scout said. “He’s not accurate. He’s streaky. He takes a million sacks. I just don’t see how that guy survives in the NFL.”

7. BAILEY ZAPPE, Western Kentucky (6-0 ½, 217, 4.85, 5): Started at FCS Houston Baptist from 2017-’20 before transferring up a level to the Hilltoppers in ’21. “At the beginning of the season I wouldn’t have given you poo poo for him,” one scout said. “He looked awful on the hoof. He’s coming out of the Air Raid offense. Name me a quarterback not named Mahomes that succeeded from there? I watched the Houston Baptist film and it was like playground football. But he had a great season (’21). He elevated the team at Western Kentucky. He has a really quick release. He’s got a lot of swagger. He’s smart (Wonderlic of 35). He’s got some baller in him. But he’s not a very good athlete for a smaller guy. Arm strength is an issue. He’s like a West Coast, dink-dunk, poor man’s Chase Daniel, maybe. If you want to keep a third guy and develop him as a backup … he’s got something to work with.” Improved his passer rating each season, finishing with 97.8. Hands were 9 ¾. “He had a phenomenal year,” said a second scout. “There’s no way this guy’s a real NFL quarterback. But, with some of these spread coaches coming into the league, maybe somebody would take him as a No. 3. He got exposed in the Senior Bowl game. Looked like he was in the wrong weight division.” From Victoria, Texas.

8. BROCK PURDY, Iowa State (6-0 ½, 212, 4.83, 6): Went 30-17 in rewriting the Cyclones’ record book. “Undersized game manager,” one scout said. “He showed good decision-making but he was inconsistent (with that) this year. Lacks arm strength to throw down the field. Smart guy. Backup who can get you out of a jam. I wouldn’t draft him.” Posted a passer rating of 102.1. Wonderlic of 23. Hands were 9 ¼. “He’ll get drafted but in my mind he’s a free agent,” a second scout said. “If you don’t have physical skills moxie ain’t buying it for you in the National Football League.” From Gilbert, Ariz.

9. SKYLAR THOMPSON, Kansas State (6-2, 219, 4.90, 7-FA): Sixth-year senior with 40 starts in 45 games. “He’s got a chance to make it as a No. 3 early and eventually be a backup,” said one scout. “He’s tough. He’s got enough mobility, enough size. He’s only got an average arm but there’s some accuracy. Look at the kid in Washington, Taylor Heinicke, who’s a great competitor and tough. He’s a little bigger than him but he’s got a similar kind of tool kit.” Finished with a passer rating of 95.9. Missed substantial time with injuries in 2020-’21. Wonderlic of 17. Hand size (8 5/8) certainly won’t help his chances. “Real football player,” a second scout said. “Understands situational football. Will be a great developmental No. 2.” From Independence, Mo.

10. JACK COAN, Notre Dame (6-3, 217, 4.91, 7-FA): Went 12-6 at Wisconsin from 2017-’19 before missing all of ’20 with a broken foot. Became the starter in South Bend last year and posted an 11-2 record. “He’ll get drafted but in my mind he’s a priority free agent,” said one scout. “He has (won). He’s also f----- up a lot, too.” Compiled a passer rating of 102.3. Hands were 9 ½. “He’s in the Zappe mold but bigger, stronger,” a second scout said. “He played in bigger program and had success. A good guy to have around the program.” Wonderlic of 28. “You want to like this guy based on the way he looks and how they (his college coaches) talk about him,” said a third scout. “Awesome kid, super smart, great leader, tough. He just cannot throw the ball. His arm strength is functional but accuracy is terrible. He’ll spray it all over the place. If you’re kind of set at quarterback and you just need another guy, that’s what he is.” From Sayville, NY.

11. COLE KELLEY, Southeast Louisiana (6-7 ½, 248, 5.18, 7-FA): Biggest quarterback prospect in years. “The ‘Louisiana Steamboat,’” said one scout. “CK is similar to like a Ryan Mallett. He was as heavy as 270 at one point. He can throw the football. He had two good years at Southeast against marginal competition. They swear that this guy can be an NFL player. I don’t doubt that. He’s not a run-around, mobile guy but he’s not stuck in the mud … a statue. There are very few big guys this big that actually end up (playing). He kind of reminded me of a Kent Graham. He had a great year. Reinvented himself. He had some issues at Arkansas. Had a DUI. They sort of used him as a situational RPO-zone read quarterback. If he falls forward it’s 3 yards because he’s so big.” Redshirted in 2016 at Arkansas before starting six of 18 games in 2017-’18. Backed up at his new school before starting for two years. “He’s not bad,” a second scout said. “He throws the deep ball well but he’s not a very good passer short and intermediate. More of an elongated, heavy-footed runner. Just an average athlete.” Wonderlic of 25. Hands were 9 7/8. From Lafayette, La.

12. BRANDON PETERS, Illinois (6-4 ½, 228, 4.72, 7-FA): Height-weight-speed prospect led the position in the vertical jump (36) and also had the largest hands (10 1/8). “He kind of bounced around in college a little bit,” said one scout. “You could see flashes where he’s got pro-level arm talent.” Started four games at Michigan as a redshirt freshman in 2017 before losing the job in ’18 and transferring. Started in Champaign when healthy from 2019-’21. Missed one game in three different seasons because of concussions. “Talented but inconsistent,” another scout said. “Has size, arm strength and athletic ability to mold. Sporadic accuracy, marginal pocket poise. Productive runner. Rarely speaks up or talks. Very soft-spoken and flat line.” Wonderlic of 24. From Avon, Ind.

OTHERS: E.J. Perry, Brown; Dustin Crum, Kent State; Chris Oladokun, South Dakota State; Kaleb Eleby, Western Michigan.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 22, 2022

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Cross posting from the NFC S thread but I kinda find it interesting that if the Panthers trade for Baker with a pick from this years draft and use their first rounder on anyone - with 4 picks and change they will have acquired 4 top 10 draft picks from 3 different drafts.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm surprised McGinn didn't mention George Pickens at all in the WR post (unless it comes after the paywall).

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm surprised McGinn didn't mention George Pickens at all in the WR post (unless it comes after the paywall).

He's got him at 9 I think which isn't that bad. Pickens is pretty talented but his highlights seem mostly unnecessary at times and the rest of the body of work is basically three routes. He's got a good dig and slant for his short yardage and if you give him time he can burn people on deep posts with adequate speed. He's got really good drive off the line of scrimmage so he can take advantage of any bubble coverage. His big problem comes when he has to go past that and gets like 0 separation always. Then he lays out for a ball he should be easily running through and everyone goes gaga sooo

Either way decent potential and might be a day one starter just because you can stick him on the left side and have him run come back routes all day.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
COLE KELLEY, Southeast Louisiana (6-7 ½, 248, 5.18, 7-FA): Biggest quarterback prospect in years. “The ‘Louisiana Steamboat,’” said one scout.

lol

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also McGinn et al would probably get more subscribers if they didn't make you send them your e-mail address just to see the price

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Pretty fun article ranking every team's draft success over a ten year period

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33297949/nfl-draft-which-teams-gotten-best-value-2012-rank-all-32

2012 WR Justin Blackmon, -49.9 (1st)
2013 T Luke Joeckel, -40.5 (1st)
2014 WR Marqise Lee, -15.5 (2nd)
2015 OLB Dante Fowler, -25.1 (1st)
2016 DT Sheldon Day, -8.5 (4th)
2017 LB Blair Brown, -7.0 (5th)
2018 DT Taven Bryan, -9.1 (1st)
2019 LB Josh Allen, -4.9 (1st)
2020 CB C.J. Henderson, -8.7 (1st)
2021 T Walker Little, -3.4 (2nd)

These are Jaguar's lowest ranked valued players from each draft. That's 8 picks in either the 1st or 2nd round

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BiggerBoat posted:

2012 WR Justin Blackmon, -49.9 (1st)

For the person he is Justin Blackmon was surprisingly okish when he was on the field. Especially considering he had Chad Henne and Blaine Gabbert throwing to him.

You know he was blind drunk all the time probably including during games/practices/whatever because that's who he is and he still put up 1200+ yards in the NFL over one and a quarter seasons. Whole thing's a goddamned shame.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

For the person he is Justin Blackmon was surprisingly okish when he was on the field. Especially considering he had Chad Henne and Blaine Gabbert throwing to him.

You know he was blind drunk all the time probably including during games/practices/whatever because that's who he is and he still put up 1200+ yards in the NFL over one and a quarter seasons. Whole thing's a goddamned shame.

Him and Charles Rogers are two of the best college wideouts ever and I can’t blame their teams for drafting them so high. There’s only so much accounting for off field issues. Depressing to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This reminded me that all the worst busts from the past decade for the Packers have been defensive linemen and backs who were drafted on pure physical ability.

At least Green Bay is fantastic at drafting and developing offensive linemen.