Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

HD DAD posted:

I like how Enterprise framed humans as having an innate sense of diplomacy and connection-making that was apparently fairly unique, and that’s why they ended up as the center of the Federation. They’re the friendly puppies of the galaxy.

Humans: the only founding race to not have Charisma as a dump stat! (Really! Look at Vulcans, Andorians, loving Tellarites!) Woo! Our legacy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think it sucks that they had phasers and that the only differences were that the beam was faster and a bit more pink than orange

Also all the boring voyager reject episodes

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Speak for yourself Pinkskin, Andorians are incredible people...people.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Admiralty Flag posted:

Humans: the only founding race to not have Charisma as a dump stat! (Really! Look at Vulcans, Andorians, loving Tellarites!) Woo! Our legacy!

Get one species to party, all species will party NIGHT CREW

And that's how the Federation was formed

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

naem posted:

I mean we can’t all be patrick loving stewart

even patrick stewart can't be patrick stewart these days

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The latest episode of Picard or Patrick Stewarts Swan Song was actually not bad

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Denobulans like Phlox, however, were too hyper social to be diplomatic ambassadors, just WAY too many orgies

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Automatic Slim posted:

Barkley gets revenge on Riker by deleting all his safe word protocols.

Riker never noticed.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Raktajino is a low level hallucinatory drug

simulate this by watching an episode of Spenser for Hire whenever Sisko drinks one

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Tiberius Christ posted:

Denobulans like Phlox, however, were too hyper social to be diplomatic ambassadors, just WAY too many orgies

They just do crew exchange programs, ask you to gently caress their wives, and allow genocides.

drat Trek Monocultures

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

John Murdoch posted:

Riker never noticed.

It's actually the computer that has the safe words.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

nevermind

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think I'mma start watching Voyager now that my rewatches of TNG and DS9 are finished. I really wish they'd we'd get another series that isn't a prequel or some other bullshit.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zesty posted:

They just do crew exchange programs, ask you to gently caress their wives, and allow genocides.

drat Trek Monocultures

Phlox did nothing wrong.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Wrong post.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

HD DAD posted:

I like how Enterprise framed humans as having an innate sense of diplomacy and connection-making that was apparently fairly unique, and that’s why they ended up as the center of the Federation. They’re the friendly puppies of the galaxy.

Honestly, it was kinda that but a lot of it was just that we happened to be the only race that didn't have pre-existing grudges because we were so new.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

True.

The friendly new kid in school who doesn't have a history of grudges.

The (pre)Federation optimism is infectious.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 22, 2022

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Danaru posted:

Get one species to party, all species will party NIGHT CREW

And that's how the Federation was formed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ApQrbhQp8

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

why the gently caress is war criminal flesh supposed to be a delicacy

not so much a delicacy as a novelty. the Culture is a utopia where any citizen can do pretty much anything they'd like without laws or consequence because its babysat by interested post-singularity hyperdimensional computers. murder someone and they'll just unmurder him from backup and they'll set up a 'slapbot' on you to prevent you from being a poo poo in the future. you can do drugs from your drug glands or change any aspect of your physical appearance or self-impregnate or change gender AND biological sex just by thinking about it. and you're totally immortal, uploadable, cloneable, recombinable. and there are 30 trillion citizens. so if you can think of something new to do, that's a good get

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That particular bit is from a short story where a Contact Team is tasked with assessment of Earth, which is discovered in the 1970s or so. (It ends up being largely left alone and not Contacted.) They have a big group dinner and are blowing off steam.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mspnqBFq76s

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HD DAD posted:

I always liked a throwaway bit in Babylon 5 as to why everyone speaks English fluently - Humans are new enough to the galactic community they don't really have any bad blood with anyone. It's a neutral language for traders and travellers with no political baggage to it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

One of the actually interesting parts of ENT S1 and S2, when the episodes were at least attempts of competency, was that Vulcans were right when they said that Humans (or at least Archer's ship and crew) weren't ready.

Archer's first two years were hilariously unprepared and untrained for doing any actual diplomacy besides stumbling around the block and offending local cultures.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they needed a diplomat but sent out an unqualified nepotism hire instead.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
What the gently caress do we need weapons for we're only flying out to deliver a guy back to his warrior race marauder nation that respects nothing but power lol Vulcans are stupid

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Danaru posted:

What the gently caress do we need weapons for we're only flying out to deliver a guy back to his warrior race marauder nation that respects nothing but power lol Vulcans are stupid

Don't forget those laser cannons they have in the pilot which just vanish in a puff of plot afterwards and suddenly they only have torpedo launchers until they build the Phase Cannons.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
If it weren't for the fact that Bakula was the biggest name actor in the series and you kind of had to make him the captain , I can't help but think he would have worked better in a different role in the ship. Like a civilian who wasn't used to military protocol who could be more casual than the rest of the crew, which would maybe have played to his strengths a bit more. So, give him the Tucker, T'Pol, Hoshi, or Mayweather roles? An older private sector guy who gets a commission because there's shortage of trained Starfleet personnel with his expertise that they can risk on deep space assignments.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget those laser cannons they have in the pilot which just vanish in a puff of plot afterwards and suddenly they only have torpedo launchers until they build the Phase Cannons.

Pretty sure they mentioned how once they got out into space they realized that the lovely torpedos they started with are 100 times more effective than their laser cannons.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Like a civilian who wasn't used to military protocol who could be more casual than the rest of the crew, which would maybe have played to his strengths a bit more.

That was Hoshi.

And like Voyager, the producers forgot about cool things that could’ve propelled character development. By 2nd or 3rd season she was regular starfleet.

But not as bad as Voyager.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Starting Scott Bakula as Walter Bishop, civilian advisor!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

If it weren't for the fact that Bakula was the biggest name actor in the series and you kind of had to make him the captain , I can't help but think he would have worked better in a different role in the ship. Like a civilian who wasn't used to military protocol who could be more casual than the rest of the crew, which would maybe have played to his strengths a bit more. So, give him the Tucker, T'Pol, Hoshi, or Mayweather roles? An older private sector guy who gets a commission because there's shortage of trained Starfleet personnel with his expertise that they can risk on deep space assignments.

Cast Bakula as the ship's chef, and leave the captain as someone who is never heard or seen until the last episode? It's still Frakes as Cmdr Riker :D

naem
May 29, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

Cast Bakula as the ship's chef, and leave the captain as someone who is never heard or seen until the last episode? It's still Frakes as Cmdr Riker :D

it’s Tom Riker pretending to be Cmdr Riker and final scene of the series is just that gif of him taking off his fake sideburns from ds9 with no explanation. Followed by that other gif where he makes a crazy face at the camera, cue the star wars theme over credits

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

naem posted:

it’s Tom Riker pretending to be Cmdr Riker and final scene of the series is just that gif of him taking off his fake sideburns from ds9 with no explanation. Followed by that other gif where he makes a crazy face at the camera, cue the star wars theme over credits

i love it

tom riker should be in every episode of star trek - each time he has everyone fooled - "this time you can tell it's will... not like all those other times" until he pulls off the 'burns

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

naem posted:

I am insane but fortunately I work for the CBS/Paramount. How fast can you get us a storyboard and script?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Automatic Slim posted:

That was Hoshi.

And like Voyager, the producers forgot about cool things that could’ve propelled character development. By 2nd or 3rd season she was regular starfleet.

But not as bad as Voyager.

What?

Hoshi was starfleet. She had a starfleet career prior to the show. She talks about it. At the start of the show she was out, or on loan as a professor.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yeah, Hoshi was a linguistics expert who was recently thrown out for insubordination, but prior to that she was making a career in the Earth Starfleet.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

you know i always wondered what the real deal with guinan is after q called her an imp and they acted like they would wizard duel. wasnt expecting it to mean el-aurians are a magical race that can trap time itself in liquor bottles.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mulaney Power Move posted:

you know i always wondered what the real deal with guinan is after q called her an imp and they acted like they would wizard duel. wasnt expecting it to mean el-aurians are a magical race that can trap time itself in liquor bottles.

it's just dumb rear end fan fiction, feel free to mentally discard it

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Sufficiently advanced technology, etc.

HD DAD posted:

So what you're saying is that only the Humans or Ferengi ever had a shot at galactic hegemony. Can't say I disagree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Sufficiently advanced technology, etc.

That makes you wonder how the Borg conquered the El-Aurians. I wonder if the twist is Picard causes this by hijacking the borg queen and taking her back to the future's past where Guinan is hanging out with her magic liquor bottle.