Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Doc Hawkins posted:

what the gently caress is a carpet???

A miserable secret pile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

The quotes are coming from inside the thread!

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Rust Martialis posted:

Football fields are 110 yards anyhow

What about the other end zone

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Doc Hawkins posted:

what the gently caress is a carpet???

an animal that is both your pet and your transportation. like a horse

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

JesustheDarkLord posted:

What about the other end zone

150 yards with end zones

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Desert Bus posted:

I am I seriously the only person who owns an antique carpet beater? You just drag them outside, hang them up on your clothesline and whack all the dirt and grime out of them.

Well, not antique but most certainly you are not. I don't know anyone in Finland who would have full-floor carpets. Vacuuming a "normal" doesn't clean it as well as beating it, so pretty much everyone has those, except more modern ones.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rust Martialis posted:

150 yards with end zones

Go riders

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Phy posted:

Go riders

Oski-wee-wee

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
Fthagn!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Desert Bus posted:

I am I seriously the only person who owns an antique carpet beater? You just drag them outside, hang them up on your clothesline and whack all the dirt and grime out of them.

Bond brand ball scratcher

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Valiantman posted:

Well, not antique but most certainly you are not. I don't know anyone in Finland who would have full-floor carpets. Vacuuming a "normal" doesn't clean it as well as beating it, so pretty much everyone has those, except more modern ones.

My opinion of the Fins just went up. Goddamn I hate carpets

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
This thing is like 100? years old at this point, but it still slaps the poo poo out of area rugs and carpets and my aquarium towel when it's too gross to stuff in the washing machine. Normally i'd be all about preserving an antique but decades of use and barely a dent. This thing is gonna outlive me and probably whoever buys it after I die.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

priznat posted:

It's like the suicide squad but real

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The Career Suicide Squad

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I have no idea what that tweet means or who any of those people are, and I find that reassuring

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

some plague rats posted:

I have no idea what that tweet means or who any of those people are, and I find that reassuring

Ezra Miller, The Flash from the DC movies: assault and battery

Amber Heard, from Aquaman: assault and battery

Evangeline Lily, Marvel: antivax nazi

Letitia Wright, Marvel: antivax hotep

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Desert Bus posted:

This looks like something my parents beat me with, not a carpet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

lol

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

silicone thrills posted:

Don't sign your posts

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

silicone thrills posted:

Kids and carpets are not that different when it comes to administering corporal punishment

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Anime Liker posted:

lol god drat

I was wrong, I was absolutely worse off not knowing so thank you

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

some plague rats posted:

lol god drat

I was wrong, I was absolutely worse off not knowing so thank you

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Anime Liker posted:

Man I knew Evangeline Lily was antivax which is bad enough but I missed her also being a nazi. Damnit.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

tangy yet delightful posted:

Man I knew Evangeline Lily was antivax which is bad enough but I missed her also being a nazi. Damnit.

Yeah she was funneling money to a lot of 14 words dudes in the Canadian hillbilly antivax trucker thing and she can say "oh no I just think a certain group of people wink wink is trying to control us with microchips and global banking, I'm not one of THOSE types" but it's weirdly specific what she financially backs while vocally regurgitating Alex Jones poo poo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Anime Liker posted:

Yeah she was funneling money to a lot of 14 words dudes in the Canadian hillbilly antivax trucker thing and she can say "oh no I just think a certain group of people wink wink is trying to control us with microchips and global banking, I'm not one of THOSE types" but it's weirdly specific what she financially backs while vocally regurgitating Alex Jones poo poo.

Man it's weird that so many of my crushes from twenty years ago turned into this specific kind of terrible person.

OK, it's just Gina Carano and Evangeline Lily but still it's pretty weird.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Man it's weird that so many of my crushes from twenty years ago turned into this specific kind of terrible person.

OK, it's just Gina Carano and Evangeline Lily but still it's pretty weird.

If I had a nickel for every time I had a crush on a buff lady who turned out to be a fascist conspiracy theorist I'd have two nickels.

That's not a lot but it's weird that it happened twice, right?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The Anime Liker posted:

If I had a nickel for every time I had a crush on a buff lady who turned out to be a fascist conspiracy theorist I'd have two nickels.

Or there's more conspiracy nuts than you thought.

They're everywhere.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Outrail posted:

They're everywhere.

:tinfoil:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Tulul posted:

So D&D Beyond released Monstrous Compendium Vol 1: Spelljammer Creatures for D&D 5E today, a free little sampler of Spelljammer monsters to go along with the announcement of the Spelljammer setting books. One of the monsters in it is this unfriendly fellow:

Meet the Goon Balloon. The Goon Balloon speaks by passing air through a "hidden orifice on its underside" and upon death, it bursts into a cloud of noxious, poisonous gas.

:allears:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Anime Liker posted:

You're going to have to tell me what a "hotep" is, because it sounds hella racist.

E: but it does seem that Lilly was a natural casting fit for the Wasp.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jedit posted:

You're going to have to tell me what a "hotep" is, because it sounds hella racist.
Black supremacist with a heavy emphasis on Egyptian symbology - including the belief that all ancient Egyptians were black - usually one of those "Yakub created the devil whitey" types though not always.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Jedit posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoteps

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2DfB-pY9G0

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jedit posted:

It's basically a strain of reactionary thought that ties into Pan-Africanism. As usual it's something of a spectrum, on the shallow end of things it's just fairly harmless stuff like people taking pride in (often somewhat mythologized) African history. But there's also a fair amount of misogyny, homophobia, just with a different bend to it. If you've heard of Tariq Nasheed, he's a prime example of this sort of thing, he spends much of his time insulting black women as basically race traitors whenever they so much as take selfies together with men who aren't also black, or theorizing that homosexuality was intentionally introduced to black people by whitey to weaken them. In the deep end you get the truly wild stuff, like the idea that women having periods is a white people thing that didn't happen in prehistoric Africa.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The kinda thing that Measurehead from Disco Elysium is riffing on, and gets almost as absurd.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Outrail posted:

They're everywhere.

Both from research and anecdotal evidence, the introduction of "Share" buttons on social media has pretty much been the most destructive innovation of the past few decades. (Alongside similar stuff like retweets and automatically surfacing stuff your friends "Like".) I feel like if you actually had to go through even the tiniest effort required to copy and paste a link, there would still be some sort of pressure to add some of your own thoughts to back up what you're sharing, and most people honestly are cowards who don't want to do that. But by cutting the effort down to zero, they've successfully removed that mental barrier. So now all these people who would normally keep this crap to themselves, because even they aren't really sure they believe it, are being emboldened and reinforced because there's basically nothing discouraging it, other than a crowd on Twitter who are honestly kind of insufferable regardless of how right they may be.

I wish we could keep the mental barrier without removing the actual barrier, since giving everyone a voice can be good, in theory. But obviously, there are financial incentives behind it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Anime Liker posted:

It'd be more financially beneficial to be into buff gentlemen.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sir Lemming posted:

I feel like if you actually had to go through even the tiniest effort required to copy and paste a link, there would still be some sort of pressure to add some of your own thoughts to back up what you're sharing

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I wish Yakub was real

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

For anyone not aware of the drama, the guy who wrote 5th edition is mad that goons pointed out that the guy he had playtest the game is a rapist and abuser.