Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

I'm about to start bottling and there aren't enough people to help me in two hours of what would be a 3 or so bottling run with two other people so I'm going to have to do it on my own. gently caress this loving machine and gently caress this lovely loving beer for assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

I broke down crying. I'm too tired to get dinner. I just pray for death now.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
stay strong EFN and I hope you get an incredible night’s sleep after that bullshit.

Currently in the full grip of gently caress-this-place after yet another reorg/pivot. It’s now as if we’re offering tech debt as a service and every day I am screaming internally at the poo poo I see new managers doing in slack.

cruft

Today is Ms Cruft's first day of not being employed as much. She said she's feeling sort of directionless, but grad school starts in May so it's just temporary.

Last night she started getting really into a sewing project, and I got hard core back into my bagpipes, which were working a whole lot better than I remember. I even wrote a cool little setup menu to run on a tiny display.

xcheopis

Escape From Noise posted:

I broke down crying. I'm too tired to get dinner. I just pray for death now.

:sympathy:

Escape From Noise

I got home and ate now I feel better. Beer is a cruel mistress.

Escape From Noise

Kind of had a meltdown in real time there didn't I?

cruft

We've all been there, my dude.

Escape From Noise

If anyone ever asks you to help them bottle be sure to fire several rounds of live ammunition into the air and tell them to stay very far away from you and your family or the next time there won't be warning shots.

Escape From Noise

This morning I asked why yesterday one of the middle managers refused to come talk to me in the brewery while I was trying to fix the problem and insisted I go talk to him on the back. Turns out he was mad at me because I hadn't been able to get bottling done in the timeframe I'd originally said and I guess was basically saying I had claimed I could do a job I wasn't up for. So it turns out it was some bullshit power move to pull me away from the issue I was working on fixing. He's so mild mannered and I was so exhausted from everything it didn't really register at the time. But way to go dude! I definitely respect you as a manager now! :fuckoff:

Ass-penny

This morning I asked why yesterday one of the middle managers refused to come talk to me in the brewery while I was trying to fix the problem and insisted I go talk to him on the back. Turns out he was mad at me because I hadn't been able to get bottling done in the timeframe I'd originally said and I guess was basically saying I had claimed I could do a job I wasn't up for. So it turns out it was some bullshit power move to pull me away from the issue I was working on fixing. He's so mild mannered and I was so exhausted from everything it didn't really register at the time. But way to go dude! I definitely respect you as a manager now! :fuckoff:

Is he a coffee man, or a tea man?

Escape From Noise

rear end-penny posted:

Is he a coffee man, or a tea man?

He'd be a loving dead man if I had my way.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

what a weener

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Escape From Noise

Dr. Honked posted:

what a weener

It's sorta dumb but I am very worked up about it.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

i totally sympathise. that kind of petty weenerism really grips my yogurt.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
it really roasts my chestnuts

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
mashes my taters

cruft

Hungry for lunch now

Ass-penny

He'd be a loving dead man if I had my way.

hell, I relate to this sentiment. I'm not advocating for anything but a few years ago I did read a article about a man who was arrested for coming in their boss' coffee everyday for years. just idly remembering that.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

KitConstantine

that kind of petty dick wave-ery is very annoying and i can see how it would end up being a proverbial camel breaking straw

I'm back from a few days off and wow was my inbox annoying. off soon tho :cheers:

Thank You To Pot Smoke Phoenix

xcheopis

Note to self:
When checking an ICD10 code, be sure you have properly entered the code in question or you will spend a very puzzled 10 minutes trying to find out why a dentist was doing a fertility preservation procedure for this man.

Escape From Noise

Things are overall fine but I'm getting more frustrated and sure I need to strike out on my own sooner rather than later. Management doesn't give a poo poo about any beer other than that sour milkshake "mix juice" IPA. I hate that kind of beer but I don't mind doing that stuff for management within limit of reason, but it's a pain in the loving rear end to make because of the timing of all of the additions I need to make. On top of that they want a ton of bottles, on a scale much higher than I can realistically produce partially due to our size and partially due to the huge loss this beer incures from all the fruit and dry hopping. Because of the latter bottling it is also a huge pain in the rear end due to the bottling machine valves being easy to clog, meaning I have to be sure that I'm getting beer from the tank without too much particulate. This is a hazy beer so that's hard to tell from the sight glass. But because they want huge volumes they just have me make this beer over and over again. I asked about contract brewing it at a bigger facility because I cannot possibly bottle the volume they seem to want but they don't want to do that. So this beer just keeps getting wedged into the production schedule, pushing other beers further down the road and because they're so laser focused on it I'm only going to have three beers for probably the most majorly important craft beer event of the year. It's happening next month. Originally they were scrambling even though I'd been warning them since the beginning of the year that it was something we needed to prepare for. Initially, they wanted me to make a batch of that sour smoothie IPA for the event and they were going to serve just that. They didn't give me enough time for that. Still, only three styles. It's pathetic. They do not understand the industry at all! During a meeting yesterday we talked about doing outside sales and I mentioned a craft beer pub that was interested in our beer, my boss responded with "Do they get that many customers though?" like they are below us. Dude! If they buy a loving keg from us it doesn't matter if they have 10 or 10 thousand customers! He seems to only want to appeal to much bigger places. Thing is, bigger places usually buy less often because they cycle a lot. Even smaller places cycle a lot, but a lot of them will often get some of the same breweries. Better a small taproom who regularly buys from you than some sporadic sales to a big place. Obviously, you can and should try for both! Why loving freeze a place out because they're "not good enough"? Also sick of this steering by committee. We have a French saison on the schedule, partially for this French restaurant owned by our company. They were really happy with the biere de Mars but I guess now it's not selling so that's put off because also we just need more mix juice IPA bullshit. The plan was to make a fairly standard French saison with some new world hops (Nelson suavin) and then a version with hibiscus. I've made this beer before sorta. It was one of the last beers I made at that poo poo place in south Osaka before I left so I never got to try it but it won an award. French saison yeast has a kind of spice like character to it (cinnamon, cloves, etc.) so the idea was to sorta mimick the flavors of Caribbean sorrel. But at the meeting they told me they wanted to make a version with something "more French". IT'S A loving FRENCH SAISON! IT'S IN THE NAME! I try to consider flavor profiles, balance, etc. when I do these more experimental styles but gently caress it! Let's have a committee of clueless assholes decide on what works best!

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 20, 2022

Farecoal

There he go
Put little baguette chunks in it

Finger Prince

Two words: smelly cheese

Finger Prince

Don't worry boss, I'm working on a new recipe: French Onion Porter

Escape From Noise

Finger Prince posted:

It's a French saison base. I don't care anymore. They can tell me what to add. gently caress them.

KitConstantine

I can imagine it sucks to have people ask you to be creative and then say ummm not like that

gently caress it throw in some tarragon and thyme and call it good.

I don't like tarragon so that's the 'gently caress them' part, I kinda feel bad for the chefs at the restuarant tho

Thank You To Pot Smoke Phoenix

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Finger Prince posted:

Ask the chef for a vat load of french onion soup to use as the wort

Then fortify it with Bordeaux

And dry hop with garlic

Escape From Noise

Noooooo!

The part that killed me is when I asked what they wanted for "French" and they said "...white wine?". That's literally why I'm using Hallertau Blanc and Nelson Suavin hops God drat it!

more falafel please

forums poster

there's like two "french" beer styles and honestly they're just slightly different belgians

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Escape From Noise

more falafel please posted:

there's like two "french" beer styles and honestly they're just slightly different belgians

I don't know. I like French saison a lot. Also bière de garde. They're similar to Belgian styles I guess, but also those borders have shifted so much in the last several hundred years. I also love Belgian styles. I guess my point is, it's already a French style beer. Why does it need to be more "French" when I'm already making the French saison for the restaurant? What the gently caress is the point of a "more French" French saison?

NumptyScrub

Ooh french saison with yakisoba sauce

Yakisoba Pain Liquide :boom:

more like :vomarine: amirite :gonk:

Escape From Noise

NumptyScrub posted:

Ooh french saison with yakisoba sauce

Yakisoba Pain Liquide :boom:

more like :vomarine: amirite :gonk:

Unfortunately, my ex employer here in Osaka already made a yakisoba/okonomiyaki sauce flavored beer. Seriously. They're the low-rent Japanese Omnipollo now, apparently.

NumptyScrub

I may have been channelling previous posts unknowingly to come up with that monstrosity

I certainly would not drink it

Escape From Noise

NumptyScrub posted:

I may have been channelling previous posts unknowingly to come up with that monstrosity

I certainly would not drink it

People would. People are idiots. poo poo, pastry stouts, smoothie sours, and milkshake IPAs are overwhelmingly popular.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
is it really even a beer if it doesn't remind you of a sugary dessert item?

Escape From Noise

Sarah Cenia posted:

is it really even a beer if it doesn't remind you of a sugary dessert item?

If it doesn't have lactose, vanilla, and/or peanut powder it's not really craft beer.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
department meeting was a hoot.

“so effectively we misled our customers about what our poo poo does?”
“yes. yes we did.”

full marks for candor but wish we’d stopped digging this pit months ago when we all screamed it was full of piss and as a company we doubled down on pissing harder. Even if we piss it full and swim to the top… it’s still piss, man. Ugh.

Escape From Noise

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

department meeting was a hoot.

“so effectively we misled our customers about what our poo poo does?”
“yes. yes we did.”

full marks for candor but wish we’d stopped digging this pit months ago when we all screamed it was full of piss and as a company we doubled down on pissing harder. Even if we piss it full and swim to the top… it’s still piss, man. Ugh.

loving god. I believe it.

So it turns out I was going on a tear over a misunderstanding. They don't want me to scrap the hibiscus beer, they want to do something else instead of the basic French saison. Okay. I'm good with that. Still not sure what to add. Maybe pink peppercorn? I'd love to add sumac too, but that could be hard to get and isn't really French.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

loving god. I believe it.

So it turns out I was going on a tear over a misunderstanding. They don't want me to scrap the hibiscus beer, they want to do something else instead of the basic French saison. Okay. I'm good with that. Still not sure what to add. Maybe pink peppercorn? I'd love to add sumac too, but that could be hard to get and isn't really French.

Someone above mentioned tarragon, that's really French, but I don't know how it would work in beer. Fresh, it has a licorice aroma, but tastes citrusy and herbal. Chervil also, very French. Not sure what it would do in beer.
Not sure how a saison would react to orange peel... Oranges are quite French. And canteloup. Canteloup might work well in a saison, might be a good summer thing. I'm thinking of citadelle gin which makes strong use of both of those.