Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

General Dog posted:

I wonder why "multiverses" have become such a ubiquitous storytelling technique in recent years. Is it speaking to some feeling a number of people may have that we're living in a version of the world that's somehow "wrong", or less desirable than other conceivable realities? Or is it just, "oh neat, this can make my Indiana Jones/Nathan Drake slashfiction a reality!"

At least with Marvel, I'm sure it's so they can keep spinning off movies while not having to stick to any consistent storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

General Dog posted:

I wonder why "multiverses" have become such a ubiquitous storytelling technique in recent years. Is it speaking to some feeling a number of people may have that we're living in a version of the world that's somehow "wrong", or less desirable than other conceivable realities? Or is it just, "oh neat, this can make my Indiana Jones/Nathan Drake slashfiction a reality!"

Probably both. People love Kingdom Hearts bullshit.

I do feel the proliferation of multiverse and time loop stories aimed at modern audiences has a lot to do with the on paper near limitless options of ways to live available to people today compared against the common experience of settling into a mostly mundane life that doesn't feel entirely (or at all) of one's choosing. I am hopeful that Everything Everywhere All at Once perfecting the form will lead to a substantial decrease in the number of stories in a multiverse setting.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Sorry west coasters. Y'all are screwed according to the latest Jurassic Park movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I am hopeful that Everything Everywhere All at Once perfecting the form will lead to a substantial decrease in the number of stories in a multiverse setting.

It doesn't have Angelina Jolie Lara Croft and Alicia Vikander Lara Croft kissing each other on the lips, so clearly there's still room for improvement.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Considering the rattlesnakes and gilamonsters around here a few raptors would be a relief.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

Sorry west coasters. Y'all are screwed according to the latest Jurassic Park movie.

I'm the cactus in East Texas

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm the "and surrounding territories" lie in the subtitle of the map

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Leperflesh posted:

I'm the "and surrounding territories" lie in the subtitle of the map

Look, dinosaurs don't want to live in Canada or Mexico. But Minnesota? Sure.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

Look, dinosaurs don't want to live in Canada or Mexico. But Minnesota? Sure.

The border wall was completed and fully effective in the Jurassic Park universe.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Silly Burrito posted:

Missouri gets the cute little turkey sized dinosaurs who probably would mostly eat pests and the occasional cat if they can, I can live with that.

Every state around us to the north and west gets the bigger than ostrich sized things that seem pretty scary, but that's their problem.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

General Dog posted:

The border wall was completed and fully effective in the Jurassic Park universe.

Yes, the Jurassic Park universe was famous for its solid construction of walls.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Ross did you see these https://twitter.com/RL_Stine/status/1517211264941969409

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Silly Burrito posted:

I would not mind CA getting a bunch of herbivore dinos like that map, as long as they obey state boundaries and none of the carnivores in adjacent states come over.

Also, remember the Dinosaurs! "educational" film with Christopher Reeves? It ruled. I distinctly remember the raptors hunting down that one dinosaur and the t-rex fighting with some dino in a flower meadow.

Edit: The whole thing is on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYe3r-wH_1s

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 21, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Silly Burrito posted:

Looks like I'm relatively safe in Iowa!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

I'm the cactus in East Texas

nobody in graphic design respects the actual geographic boundaries of the saguaro

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

General Dog posted:

To add to the other points, I think that fanfiction (where things like multiverses are common tropes) becoming easily accessible with the internet contributed to this, with a lot of the writers that grew up reading and/or writing that stuff now working in the movie industry and being able to create the stories they enjoyed when they were younger

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Silly Burrito posted:

But Minnesota? Sure.

They should be so lucky!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

There are many shades of gray for many discussions in life.

This is not one of those discussions. Trans teenagers are human beings.

Human rights are binary. Either they are recognized and treated as humans with all the rights thereof or they are not.

People who think trans teenagers are not human beings can go gently caress themselves.

I don't think BlindSite said anything about them not being human or having rights? What if he's just having thoughts about whether puberty blockers vs full physical transition? What about just the Gender Dysphoria counseling they're typically compelled to receive?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Shinji2015 posted:

To add to the other points, I think that fanfiction (where things like multiverses are common tropes) becoming easily accessible with the internet contributed to this, with a lot of the writers that grew up reading and/or writing that stuff now working in the movie industry and being able to create the stories they enjoyed when they were younger

It's GamemasterAnthony's world now, we just live in it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Silly Burrito posted:

That map makes it look like Tampa got nuked into a larger bay/crater.

I'm okay with that.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
T rexes eat Portland leave Seattle alone so now I live in a world that has T. rexes and no Portland man I’m not seeing a downside

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Joe Biden is in Portland right now at a fundraiser being held in a yacht club.

I welcome a dinosaur to come by and eat the city up.

EDIT: He'll be up in Seattle tomorrow so now's your chance, It's Rinaldo.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
How much city can one dinosaur realistically eat?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If we're to believe the plot details that was leaked for Jurassic World: Dominion, it's a lot!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I am enjoying a delicious beer on the patio of Madison's favorite neighborhood bar. The sun is warming my bones, the alcohol is delicious, and I just accepted an offer to use my analytical skill set to improve patient outcomes in the operating room via gigantic reams of data. It's an absolute fever dream of a job, and it's all because two months ago I approched my new manager and asked him one question.

I am going to be so hungover when I tell my old team tomorrow morning. Just openly vomiting on WebEx.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Leperflesh posted:

Stocks are not an "untaxed medium" unless you mean there's no wealth tax, in which case, yeah there's no wealth tax on wealth, that's true of everything and not just stocks.

When Bezos sells stocks for money, he pays capital gains taxes.

There's no wealth tax but if you receive stock-based compensation instead of income you aren't taxed on it, then you can just keep the stocks long term. If you require cash you simply borrow against them which is much, much cheaper than paying any capital gains on them.

Then you either never sell the stock and pass it to heirs, create a dynasty trust, or use other stock losses to overwrite profits from the sale of said stocks. Or donate to your own scam charity. In this way a person can avoid ever truly being taxed on the income in question, unlike if it was simply received as cash.

Silly Burrito posted:

Man that's bad. They could've at least respected the known preferred environments of the dinosaurs in question. Also looks like they forgot the sierra nevada

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Coco13 posted:

I am enjoying a delicious beer on the patio of Madison's favorite neighborhood bar. The sun is warming my bones, the alcohol is delicious, and I just accepted an offer to use my analytical skill set to improve patient outcomes in the operating room via gigantic reams of data. It's an absolute fever dream of a job, and it's all because two months ago I approched my new manager and asked him one question.

I am going to be so hungover when I tell my old team tomorrow morning. Just openly vomiting on WebEx.

Hell yeah congrats dude

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Coco13 posted:

1. Congrats!
2. What was the question?
3. WHAT IS THE BEER

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Coco13 posted:

I am enjoying a delicious beer on the patio of Madison's favorite neighborhood bar.

I'm assuming you're at The Wisco

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Coco13 posted:

Congrats!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Congratulations, Coco!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
People are celebrating the possiibility of Disney tanking Florida's economy as if a) Disney can just pack of Disneyworld and leave and b) the hit to the economy wouldn't disproportionately hurt the most vulnerable people

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Game Night Tonight, right now!

https://discord.gg/T7CphQYK

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

General Dog posted:

Is it ubiquitous? You have a handful of comic book movies using stories from literal decades ago that involve a multiverse and Everything, Everywhere All At Once. Is there anything else?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Oh good, someone from D&D is heading to Ukraine to fight. This can only end well.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Rick & Morty you baka gaijin.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kalli posted:

Rick & Morty you baka gaijin.

Okay, but they were doing multiverse poo poo almost a decade ago.

Seriously, the show started airing in 2013.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Oh good, someone from D&D is heading to Ukraine to fight. This can only end well.

Hasn’t there already been a bunch of westerners who have gone out there thinking it is just like Call of Duty and then figured out that they can die and going awol?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Hey, things worked out* for Caro, there’s good precedent!

*was not actually killed in the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

BigPaddy posted:

Hasn’t there already been a bunch of westerners who have gone out there thinking it is just like Call of Duty and then figured out that they can die and going awol?

The funniest ones said they were doing that then just went camping in the woods