Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

PicklePants posted:

Did his offence ever change in TNA when he was apart of the VKM? I never watched TNA.

They incorporated sombreros and blackface, which ramped up the offence considerably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

FullLeatherJacket posted:

They incorporated sombreros and blackface, which ramped up the offence considerably

lmao

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Well, the sombreros are new, but the black face they as the New Age Outlaws were doing in the WWE against the Nation.

TNA always seemed behind the times in some aspects.

At least X-Pac, as much as he was hated, could bust out some high flying, and unique spots for pay per views.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
I read that x pac tore his rear end in a top hat doing the bronco buster. dang

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

gbs but from 2004 posted:

I read that x pac tore his rear end in a top hat doing the bronco buster. dang

That's the risk you have to accept when you take up Vince's offer to try your finisher out on him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

After AEW Revolution, COVID kicked in about a week later and made a whole mess of everything. The future of AEW itself seemed up in the air, but luckily they were able to do shows in Daily’s Place in Jacksonville, while doing a handful of shows at QT Marshall’s training facility. To make up for the lack of crowds, the wrestlers themselves would hang out in the front row, with faces on one side and heels on the other.

They had to tape about a month’s worth of shows at a time and only maybe a third of the entire roster was available. Best Friends became the MVPs of this era due to their crazy work ethic. As a way to keep some structure on a show when so many top names were staying home, they did a tournament for a new singles title.

The TNT Championship tournament was not only a way to get around Cody’s inability to challenge for AEW’s main title, but it was also a vehicle to tell his latest storyline. The night after Revolution, Jake “The Snake” Roberts appeared and suggested that he had a new protégé who was going to target Cody. That charge ended up being Lance Archer, who was played up as a brutal psychopath that even Jake could not control. At the same time, in real life, Lance was there to help Jake deal with his ever-present substance abuse issues and be accountable for him.

Archer annihilated Dustin Rhodes in the semifinals and we got Cody vs. Archer as the finals, taking place at Double or Nothing 2020. Mike Tyson was there to hand the title off to the winner (unfinished due to COVID’s affect on the belt-making company), but they kind of screwed up by cutting to him mid-match while he was zoning out and yawning. Cody ended up winning, booking himself to be the inaugural TNT Champion.

Being that he was in the finals, he obviously was unable to be part of the Elite vs. Inner Circle Stadium Stampede match. He did show up in the following episode of BTE, where they held a funeral for Matt Hardy’s drone Vanguard 1. Cody’s lack of connection to the Elite was brought up as a joke, but it was also the last major appearance of Cody on that web series. Instead, he became a regular on Sammy Guevara’s vlog.

To keep the TNT Championship different from the AEW Championship, Cody decided to retry a beloved gimmick from modern WWE. Back when John Cena was United States Champion, he would do weekly open challenges. Sure, his victories were expected, but he livened things up by taking on random opponents who he normally wouldn’t face (including Stardust). The open challenge thing ended in a wet fart, but otherwise, it was a cool part of Cena’s run. Cody would do open challenges for the TNT Championship. He ended up with eight successful title defenses with this.

What separated this from Cena’s version was that Cody didn’t want to just face challengers from AEW’s locker room. He wanted people outside of AEW to give it a go. With the pandemic doing a number on the indies and so many top names already signed by major companies, there weren’t too many notable choices out there, but we did get three outsider challengers over time.

First came NWA’s Ricky Starks. Tony Khan was said to be so impressed by this match as it was going on, that he was immediately coming up with story ideas for Starks and wanted him to sign with the company ASAP. Now Ricky is a big staple of AEW as the de facto leader of Team Taz and FTW Champion.

Then came Eddie Kingston. Eddie wrote up a long and emotional explanation months back, but the short version is that with the pandemic killing what was left of his career, he had finally accepted that he was done. He cut a promo at a rinky dink indie show about wanting a piece of Cody and Cody took the bait. Eddie didn’t really think much of the opportunity, figuring it to just be a paycheck to him, but by cutting a badass promo pre-match and handling himself well in a no DQ bout, Eddie became viral with so many people tweeting for him to be signed. Eddie found himself signing with AEW (WWE also reached out to him after years of rejecting him), getting a new lease on life. He’s since main-evented a PPV and is considered one of the best promo guys in the business.

Finally, there was War Horse. War Horse is like if the Ultimate Warrior gimmick was given to an indie wrestler instead of a gassed out meathead. Also, if he wasn’t a gigantic piece of poo poo bigot. War Horse was already shown to be a popular part of the indies due to winning a fan-vote tournament to be included into the video game RetroMania (sequel to WWF Wrestlefest). Arn Anderson brought him up on TV as a possibility before the challenge was even made official.

Unfortunately, War Horse was not given the best first impression. The match was fine, but the whole thing was overshadowed by Matt Cardona (Zack Ryder) making a surprise appearance post-match. War Horse was forgotten about outside of getting a quick loss on an episode of AEW Dark over a year later.

Around this time, Brandi had booked a YouTube-exclusive tag team tournament for the women on the roster. She was teamed up with Allie, who was linked to the whole Rhodes side of AEW by dating QT Marshall. It was obvious that she was exploiting him for his money, but it was also weird because we already knew that she was married to wrestler the Blade and QT also mentioned being married at one point. While Brandi was never sure whether she was supposed to be a face or a heel, she and Allie worked well as a team.

They made it to the finals, where they lost to Diamante and Ivelisse. Unfortunately, not much came out of this. Ivelisse is known as a backstage cancer and it didn’t take long for her to wear out her welcome and get kicked out the door. Then she complained about it on social media in ways that make her seem even worse.

Worn down from all his title defenses, Cody then took on Brodie Lee, the leader of the Dark Order. Brodie had recently challenged Jon Moxley for the AEW Championship and although he lost, the way he lost made him look like a complete and utter monster. Brodie proceeded to annihilate Cody within minutes and win the TNT Championship. Adorably, he did ask him before the match if it would be okay if he didn’t hook the leg during the pin, making him look even more dominant.

Cody took some time off, presumably to go film episodes of the Go Big Show. He came back and had a rematch with Brodie, this time in a brutal Dog Collar match. Cody won the title back and Brodie took some time off to heal from nagging injuries. Unfortunately, Brodie’s lungs started to fail on him and he spent the rest of the year hospitalized until dying the day after Christmas. His wife Amanda had Cody and Big E come over to explain the tragic news to her sons that their father was not going to get better.

There’s not much to say about Cody’s second TNT Championship reign. He ended up dropping it to Darby Allin, which was a major “he HAS to win” type of match, considering they’ve wrestled to a draw once and Cody pinned him the other time. Sting also joined AEW at this time and hinted at being involved in Cody’s affairs before revealing that he was there to mentor Darby.

Outside of the Brodie tragedy, stuff here has been pretty straightforward, so let’s get into some ridiculous poo poo.

On one episode of Dynamite, as Cody was doing a promo in the ring about a possible rematch with MJF, Jade Cargill stepped into the ring and stole his mic. Nobody watching had any idea who she was, but she started shooting her mouth off and mentioned how her friend Shaquille O’Neil was going to kick Cody’s rear end. Then Brandi ran out to yell at Jade a bunch.

Sometime later, a pre-taped segment had Shaq meet with Brandi as they talked up a mixed tag match of Cody/Brandi vs. Shaq/Jade. Things were going fine until Shaq told Brandi not to underestimate Jade. This caused Brandi to throw a drink in Shaq’s face, leaving Shaq with the perfect, “The gently caress did I do?” look.

Then it was announced that Brandi was expecting, so she certainly was not going to be able to compete. She was replaced by Red Velvet, a random wrestler whose deal is...she...pretends to mix a bowl. That’s really all I have. I can’t tell you a single memorable thing about her.

The mixed tag match did NOT take place on PPV, surprisingly enough. It was also very good and all four competitors made it work. In the end, Cody did a crossbody onto Shaq, who fell off the ring apron and went through some tables. That left Jade vs. Red Velvet and Jade came out the winner.

Shaq was loaded into an ambulance, but when they checked on it later, there was no sign of him. Shaq had simply disappeared. There was never any follow-up or explanation. Shaq magically vanished and everyone moved on. It was a fun sideshow, but the whole angle felt very separated from everything else going on in AEW, a familiar feeling for much of Cody’s remaining time in AEW.

Oh, and because they are exactly the kind of people who would do such a thing, Cody and Brandi had gender reveal pyro for the baby.

Up next: Ogogo’s Bizarre Adventure.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

spoiler for the next Codypost: they named their baby Liberty

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Hefty Leftist posted:

spoiler for the next Codypost: they named their baby Liberty

second spoiler for the next Codypost: the baby got a neck tattoo that says "Parents' Nightmare"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

poemdexter posted:

second spoiler for the next Codypost: the baby got a neck tattoo that says "Parents' Nightmare"

Seriously? :psyduck: How old are we talking? Has someone called CPS yet?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

SirPhoebos posted:

Seriously? :psyduck: How old are we talking? Has someone called CPS yet?

yeah... cody and the wee baby liberty got matching tattoos, then they went on a rampage where they killed a bunch of irish mobsters

had to slip the tattoo guy a hundred bucks to get him to do it

no he's not being serious, come on

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Wee Baby Liberty broke into Triple H's private dressing room and bodyslammed him so hard that Triple H's heart nearly gave out.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

FullLeatherJacket posted:

no he's not being serious, come on

Everything else in this thread has taught me that nothing beyond consideration with regards to wrestlers behaving moronically.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

SirPhoebos posted:

Everything else in this thread has taught me that nothing beyond consideration with regards to wrestlers behaving moronically.

Cody/Liberty tag team confirmed.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Still working on some new 'content', but thought I'd come in here and post this small neat website I found.

As someone who does like to note what a wrestler is wearing, and the special outfits, looks, and colors broken out for big shows like Wrestlemanias, this was a fun collection to peruse. Though there's one guy not on it I wish there was, the reasons of which will be clear in a bit.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

A reminder that wrestling is a totally masculine heterosexual activity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x1i5Csa-0M

I really have to wonder how many of these are wholly accidental and how many are semi or wholly intentional.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Road Dogg gifs made me realize that I could go through the archives of everything I watched in the 90's and probably even after that what I will always remember about WWF/WCW is all the dumb poo poo, epitomized perfectly by those gifs. I remember the Acolyte Protection Agency and their office door, I remember Crash Holly and his constant escapes with the 24/7 Hardcore title, I remember D'Lo Brown constantly cricking his neck as he walked down the ramp, I remember Rikishi joining 2 Cool and somehow making it the coolest thing in the world, I remember Al Snow and his mannequin head, I remember Edge and Christian's surfer bro period, I remember Ken Shamrock just always screaming, I remember when Jericho was feuding with Chyna when she was partnered with another woman wrestler (something about a cat?) and threatened to cut Jericho's penis off with some tiny scissors. I remember ridiculous moves like the Road Dogg's, like Val Venis' somehow signature male stripper taunt thing, like the Ho Train, like Goldust's ball kick. Apparently a good chunk of the things I remember involve a dick and balls. Anyways if you showed me a gif of a dumb backstage thing or in-ring taunt/flair I'd probably remember a dozen times it happened. Would I remember any story or loving wrestling that happened between any of them? Not a thing. I should point out I was like 10-12 years old when most of these things happened and stopped watching around 15.

All these incredible effort posts about huge matches between the biggest stars which are (the occasional) triumphs of in-ring story telling and build-up that I was probably around for? I'm just constantly saying to myself "I was probably around for that and should probably remember that but I don't." Like yeah I remember watching Shawn Michaels, and The Rock do the elbow, and Steve Austin doing a Stunner on Vince again, and the Undertaker in his deadman period and his biker period but nothing about what happened or why or against who.

Okay there is one bout of actual wrestling I do remember with relative clarity and that's the three way tag feud between Edge/Christian, the Hardys, and Dudleys. I don't remember anything about the storyline - it was probably dumb and embarrassing - but I do remember the build-up matches and the PPV matches.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shaq is one of those celebs that just loves wrestling and is big and strong enough that the tiniest bit of effort makes for entertaining TV.

Was expecting more Stephen Amell wrestling but I guess they're not willing to risk him getting actually hurt for a ratings bump (which may not exist post Arrow ending)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kibayasu posted:

“I've seen things you marks wouldn't pop for. Nards rocketed off the heels of Gold Dust. I watched o-rings tearing in the dark off the Turnbuckle. All those moments will be lost in time, like beer baths in the rain. Time to hit the stunner...”

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Cornwind Evil posted:

I really have to wonder how many of these are wholly accidental and how many are semi or wholly intentional.
in one of the OSW Reviews they show an interview segment with Brutus Beefcake where every single line sounds like he's saying he has sex with Hulk Hogan, to the point that I really thought it had to have been intentional

I don't want to oversell it but I can't find it and in my memory it was seriously like "when you're as close to a man as I am to Hulk Hogan, you know what's deep inside of him, and you know that you'd do anything for him, and believe me, I have. I'd lay down for that man, I'd give him my hand any time he needed it. I've seen Hulk Hogan up high, and I've seen him down low, and you may get him down on his knees but that's where he excels, that's the very moment when he's going to rock your world!"

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Then there's this classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asukXln1rMc&t=93s

Couldn't find it without the commentary

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

As the pandemic seemed to wane a bit, or at least its hold on wrestling, we got a match of Cody Rhodes vs. Penta El Cero Miedo. This match pissed fans off because back when Penta was the main dude in Lucha Underground, if he did his arm-breaker move, it would be treated like an actual injury. Wrestlers would be off TV for a while to sell it. In AEW, Cody took the move and then was able to roll Penta up for a pin.

Then again, Bryan Danielson was watching this match and it inspired him to sign with AEW. So what do I know?

One of AEW’s challenges is introducing talented young wrestlers and molding them. A lot of time, that means giving them a mentor. Right now they’re doing a great job with Yuta Wheeler and Daniel Garcia. Cody’s greatest failure in AEW was his inability to make something out of his many generic students. He had guys like Lee Johnson, Brock Anderson (Arn’s son), and Billy Gunn’s sons. As the Nightmare Family, they did nothing more than be Cody’s cannon fodder.

On Sammy Guevara’s vlog and AEW Dark, QT Marshall was being increasingly portrayed as kind of a dick. It was becoming apparent that he was jealous of Cody while he was best known as “Cody’s partner.” Cody tried to smooth things over by having a run-of-the-mill exhibition match. During the match, QT turned heel and had Cody brutalized by his own students, starting up his faction, the Factory.

The Factory had three students. Aaron Solow was a fairly generic, young high-flyer. He was portrayed as the weak link of the group and the guy there to eat pins in tag matches. Nick Comoroto was the big, hairy hoss of the team, coming off as the first level boss in a side-scrolling beat ‘em up game. Then there was Anthony Ogogo, a former Olympic boxer from England. Ogogo was being treated as the breakout member of the team.

Cody vs. Ogogo had the most emphasis in this rivalry and it’s where people mostly lost interest in Cody. Ogogo was playing up the whole “anti-America” foreigner gimmick, but it was a bit off. For one, he was in a faction of guys who were also American and nobody ever second-guessed what he was saying. Second, the stuff he criticized was the kind of stuff that would otherwise make someone sound like a face. I guess the only caveat was that he was turning a blind eye to any lovely things England was a part of.

Ogogo was also being built up as a force of nature in terms of striking. He only had a few matches, but they would end them early due to him punching his opponents so hard in the guts that they could not continue. It was a choice, but it was working for a moment.

Cody’s attempts at being a face here did not do him any favors. He doubled down on the patriotism. He infamously cut a promo on how he helped make this country a better place by having an interracial baby. It was a promo that was so hated that he had to later own up to it and admit that he tried workshopping it with various backstage legends and they told him it was good to go. There was also a weigh-in segment, which not only went nowhere on a show where talented people are having a hard time getting screentime, but it also had Paul Wight on commentary complaining about Ogogo being a coward for having an entourage despite Cody coming out with one double its size.

As Dustin Rhodes feuded with Comoroto, the whole Cody/Factory feud seemed to be separated from the rest of AEW. The so-called Codyverse was in full effect.

Cody went over Ogogo, who was mostly off TV afterwards due to eye issues, but has since just shown up on Dark and Dark Elevation to earn wins. Shortly after, Cody finished off QT with a Strap Match. In the end, all the feud did was turn people against Cody and establish QT as a midcard joke.

Immediately after the blow-off match, Malakai Black made his debut by roundhouse kicking Cody’s skull into the stratosphere.

Malakai wrestled for years in WWE as Aleister Black. He found success in NXT as a Satanist antihero kickboxer and even held the title for a time. Then he went to the main roster and did a gimmick where he'd cut promos from a dark room in the arena, inviting anyone to step up and knock on his door for a challenge. Considering how bad they were using this gimmick, he came off as more of a dork who was playing hide and seek while the rest of the roster didn't care.

His wife was on the roster as Zelina Vega and the company fired her. Moments before her firing was publicly announced, she tweeted about how wrestling needs a union. Months later, they rehired her as she wanted to be on the road with her husband. She deleted the union tweet, signed the contract and a day or two later... they fired Black. They just put a bunch of money and effort into a new direction for him, but he was done. Then they had Zelina lose a bunch.

WWE is petty as gently caress.

Black started ambushing Cody for a few weeks, including a hilarious bit where Cody started a promo with, "There's a lot going on in the world—" before being attacked. As Black came off as a total badass with the way he wrestled, painted black around his eye like it was a growing infection, and had the most metal entrance, it just made Cody seem lamer.

They had a match on Dynamite and Black won decisively out of nowhere with plenty of time left in the show. A dazed Cody started doing a speech about how much the business means to him and how much he loves the Elite guys even if they've drifted apart. He made it sound like he was going to retire, only for Black to reappear and beat him with a crutch.

Cody did his usual deal. He went off TV for a few weeks, came back, and went for the rematch. He didn't get his win back. Arn Anderson took a fall off the apron and Cody checked on him instead of focusing on the match. Black went on to win a second time.

During this storyline, Cody's bland proteges started challenging Black and would get destroyed. For some reason, they decided to have Malakai Black squash Brock Anderson as a Dynamite main event. It did not do so well in the ratings.

Arn was pissed at Cody and started ranting about his lack of killer instinct. Namely, Cody should not have been distracted by Arn's wellbeing. It's just that Arn's way of expressing this was by proudly talking up how he is the kind of guy who would happily shoot a carjacker to death. Then he showed up at Cody's house in the middle of the night and started burning his suits for some reason. Arn had gone insane and it was awesome.

Cody beat Black in the third try and this somehow translated into a feud with Andrade El Idolo. They had a Street Fight where Cody had some noticeable stuff spread across his back. Considering the final spot of the match involved Cody and Andrade going through a flaming table (but really just Cody), his back was either covered with flame-retardant gunk or burns from rehearsing it earlier in the week.

Cody was trying his damnedest to win the crowd over when people were losing interest in him more and more. During one match, he dramatically threw his weight-lifting belt into the crowd, only to have it thrown back to him. Despite being booed into oblivion during his Black and Andrade feuds, Cody was adamant about how he would never turn heel.

A lot of fans figured he was doing some kind of artistic take on how he would have handled the crowd's negativity if he was in John Cena's shoes. As time went on, people were less sure and were curious as to what he was trying to do in all of this. He would regularly hint at doing a Pedigree and once pulled out a golden shovel from under the ring, intentionally bringing up comparisons to Triple H.

Also at this time, Cody started wrestling under a jokey masked gimmick on AEW Dark as Fuego II, tag partner to masked underdog Fuego Del Sol under the team name Too Fast Too Fuego. They even tried to cover up his neck tattoo as part of the gag.

Cody challenged TNT Champion Sammy Guevara and won. They were going to do a rematch shortly after on a TV special called Battle of the Belts, but Cody caught COVID and they instead had Sammy face Dustin Rhodes for the right to be "interim champion." Sammy won.

In the lead-up to the delayed rematch, Cody appeared on TV to give a fiery, but kind of crazed and scattershot promo. He talked up how he is what CM Punk pretends to be. How he refuses to turn heel because people cheered him when it meant the most. How newcomer Brody King has balls for daring to call himself "Brody." That he received a new contract that he's not too happy with. That the TNT Championship is not the "secondary championship."

By the time Cody and Sammy had their big ladder match, word was already out that Cody was competing without a contract. He proceeded to have a hell of a match and even beat up Fuego Del Sol when he showed up and got involved. Sammy still won, ending things with a crazy RKO off the ladders. Sammy now had two physical belts: his interim one and Cody's. Afterwards, Cody cut a promo online where he gave Sammy respect and admitted to the rumors that he had not signed a new contract. Fans wondered if this was real or part of the story.

It was actually Cody's final AEW appearance, but it was not the last straw.

AEW has a faction called Top Team, led by Dan Lambert. Lambert is somewhat of a pastiche of Jim Cornette and is a gigantic heat magnet, constantly ranting about how much he hates modern wrestling and generally being a misogynistic rear end in a top hat. He represents the Men of the Year (Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky) and some random MMA people who occasionally show up.

The plan was to do a feud between Top Team and the Rhodes family, but when Brandi came out to set it up with a promo, she acted like a total heel to the crowd. She tore down the city they were in, knowing that in moments, Dan Lambert was going to come out and antagonize her with some obnoxious and offensive poo poo. It was an uncomfortable and confusing segment that ended with MMA-fighter-turned-wrestler Paige VanZant brawling with Brandi as they were being pulled apart. The people there did not want to cheer anyone involved.

The rumors started flying that Cody and Brandi were gone. Cody was apparently not happy with not being seen in the same bracket as the likes of CM Punk. He also did not like that he did not have final say in his self-booking. Considering how off Cody was getting in his final months and the hated Brandi/Lambert segment, people were starting to understand where Tony Khan was coming from.

Sammy Guevara and his real-life girlfriend Tay Conti would take Cody and Brandi's spots in the feud against Top Team. Soon after, Scorpio Sky beat Sammy for the TNT Championship and Lambert started to carry the extra belt with him like it was his own. Fans started to turn against Sammy and Tay when Sammy grossed Lambert out by joking about how he came all over the belt one time. He and Tay later tweeted an image of them banging with the belt in bed as proof.

So that's a thing.

Cody would appear at WrestleMania as Seth Rollins' mystery opponent. In the lead-up, he and Tony Khan made an agreement that they would not publicly talk poo poo about each other. Other Elite members talked up how Cody was the one who was more adamant about starting poo poo with WWE (destroying a Triple H throne in his first AEW match, the golden shovel, etc.), even though he was always the closest to doing business with them again.

Cody did luck out with his reappearance. WrestleMania came with a lot of hype, but most of it went to celebrities and one-offs like the return of Steve Austin. None of them would be there a week later. Cody would, though. He got to keep his anti-WWE theme, his Homelander aesthetic, and even his entrance ramp... for a week, at least.

A lot of wrestling fans have been interested in what the future will bring for Cody. He's the first major get for WWE in this war with AEW. They need him to look successful so others might make the jump down the line. But... it's WWE. It's their nature to shoot themselves in the foot. They can't help themselves.

WWE fans treat Cody jumping as a major victory. For many AEW fans, we're fine. Enjoy him.

It makes me think of Parks and Recreation. For those who haven't watched that show, back when it was starting, there was a character named Mark Brendanawicz, played by Paul Schneider. He was fine for the time and was important in the early, troubled days. Then as the show started to figure itself out and everyone improved, Mark started to fall to the wayside. His stories felt separated from the rest of the cast and they weren't up to snuff. By the end of the second season, newer and more likeable characters were brought in and Mark quietly left. He was never heard from again.

And we were better off.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REVmKZX8T8Y

you can pinpoint the exact second his heart broke in half

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the honkey donkey man

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_AGR7xxzDU

:wtc:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Hefty Leftist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REVmKZX8T8Y

you can pinpoint the exact second his heart broke in half

I'm so proud of my fellow Chicago fans for doing that. We are truly the best wrestling city.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
only vince mcmahon can get involved in a lawsuit over a cartoon involving talking asses

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Pro wrestling loving owns

https://twitter.com/SirLARIATO/status/1359180465043816450?s=20&t=5SB1d53BzlWgzlLrnei5hg

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I grew up in Kentucky which meant every Saturday at Noon was CWA out of Memphis on channel 3. This is the same territory were Jerry Lawler had his famous feud with Andy Kaufman as show in the 1989 documentary, I'm From Hollywood. This YouTube channel has nearly the entire weekly saga if you care to watch . https://www.youtube.com/user/popculturestu

In addition to Lawler, you had Bill Dundee, Austin Idol, Tommy Wildfire Rich, Nick Bockwinkel, Jimmy Hart, even Harvey Wippleman as Downtown Bruno. This is also where Jeff Jarrett debuted. They did a house show every Tuesday at Louisville Gardens and it the crowds were always just insane and the cards always delivered. Just curious if any of you historians have anything to add about this.

Oh and we had Cornette around too back then. Some of y'all might get a kick out of his look here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMeeUhQ2NUg

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Gavok posted:

You either die as Cody or you live long enough to see yourself become Triple H.

Maybe there's simply no way to keep this business from corrupting you.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lmao he pulls a turkey out of his rear end and they eat it

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

MrQwerty posted:

Wrestling!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Yay!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bonzo posted:

I grew up in Kentucky which meant every Saturday at Noon was CWA out of Memphis on channel 3. This is the same territory were Jerry Lawler had his famous feud with Andy Kaufman as show in the 1989 documentary, I'm From Hollywood. This YouTube channel has nearly the entire weekly saga if you care to watch . https://www.youtube.com/user/popculturestu

I watched this a couple weeks ago. I'd seen some of this but not the entire saga and never realized how long it actually went on. God drat, Kaufman could really get those people hating his guts.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I watched this a couple weeks ago. I'd seen some of this but not the entire saga and never realized how long it actually went on. God drat, Kaufman could really get those people hating his guts.

I was part of those crowds a few times and yes, it was insane. Keep in mind this was when people thought wrestling was real.

Lawler going to the WWF was really strange at first because of his change of character. I also recall Virgil wrestling as Soul Train Jones and was getting a huge push and then just disappeared one week. Then he started showing up on WWF as Virgil and I never saw him wrestle again.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bonzo posted:

I was part of those crowds a few times and yes, it was insane. Keep in mind this was when people thought wrestling was real.

Oh, you don't have to tell me. Even in the Philadelphia area where I grew up there were a lot of people that thought the same thing. Especially 10 and 12 year old kids that watched all this poo poo since we only had like 5 channels to watch and wrestling was on all the time, especially during the weekends after Saturday morning cartoons. In Dover, Delaware when is stayed with my grandmom sometimes it was NASCAR races, soap operas, game shows, some church poo poo and a LOT of wrestlin. The difference seemed to me that, for the most part, most of the people that didn't know it was fake were literally children but I'm not so sure about the deep south.

By the time the Lawler/Kauffman poo poo landed, I was old enough to know it was a work but I don't know if the folks down there in "Me--ehmphiss, Tenness-see, Mr Lawler with the plowin the fields and duhhhh" were in on the joke. And god drat, Andy could bring heat as well as any pro I ever saw. Back then, a large percentage of the villains were rooted in racist/nationalist stereotypes like Iranian Sheikhs, Russian Commies, Black Street Hustlers and Japanese Sumo guys but Kaufman tapped into the anti Hollywood angle long before that concept became mainstream.

To the point where well over half the country thought the Lawler slap on Letterman was a real, actual beef and the god damned news even reported it.

Andy's performance art thing was 100% suited for wrestling theater, he was brilliant at it and my god did he pull it off - sometimes too well, really, to where I honestly thought some of those rednecks were gonna hurt him and, looking back, I bet his safety was often very much in doubt. You can see the seething hatred on the crowd's faces.

Maybe one of you dudes who are so good at effort posts can do a Kauffman/Lawler write up?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

MrQwerty posted:

Would you not?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh, you don't have to tell me. Even in the Philadelphia area where I grew up there were a lot of people that thought the same thing. Especially 10 and 12 year old kids that watched all this poo poo since we only had like 5 channels to watch and wrestling was on all the time, especially during the weekends after Saturday morning cartoons. In Dover, Delaware when is stayed with my grandmom sometimes it was NASCAR races, soap operas, game shows, some church poo poo and a LOT of wrestlin. The difference seemed to me that, for the most part, most of the people that didn't know it was fake were literally children but I'm not so sure about the deep south.

In my experience, wrestling was like religion in the deep south. CWA matches were always featured on the sports section of the local 6:00 news. Jerry Lawler could do not wrong in Memphis and was almost as big as Elvis. Anytime he'd drop the strap off his shoulder crowds would just roar.

We never watched WWF because the Saturday morning show they had was kinda boring and you had the occasional Saturday Night's Main Event but it would be all promos and then go off air right as the match was about to end, making it a cliffhanger so you'd have to watch their next show.

Most towns got TBS as well so there was WCW and occasionally NWA. Wrestlemania 3 is the time when we all got interested due to the Hogan and Andre match. I do recall that WWF was the only company that entered the home video market so we became bigger fans as we watched those over and over. Maybe there were others but WWF had the most and put them out regularly.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I have read this entire thread over the past month, enjoyed it a lot, and learned a hell of a lot. I didn't get into wrestling until 1999 (college) -- I heard about this huge, unbeatable Jewish good guy (Goldberg), and that's what made me start with WCW, but what really hooked me was the Cruiserweight division, and four guys in particular: Rey Mysterio Jr., Eddie Guerrero, Chris Jericho, and Billy Kidman. I stuck with WCW rather than watching a lot of the infamous WWF Attitude Era stuff, even though so much of WCW Nitro and Thunder were already awful by that point. I loved the high-flyers, the luchadores, the Japanese guys -- and they rarely got the respect or TV time they deserved.

I started watching WWF/E when Jericho and the Radicalz(?) headed over there, and of course I stuck around once they completely bought WWE, even though some jobbers I enjoyed like Lash LeRoux didn't follow. I stuck around until 2004-ish, then just drifted away from watching due to a dark period in my life. By then, Cena, Batista, Lesnar, and Orton had been introduced and were already becoming huge stars, but I always hated the never-ending reign of Triple H, and how WWE seemed to put Triple H, Undertaker, Austin, and Kane over above everyone else. I still marked out for those four guys I had followed since WCW, along with Hurricane Helms, Paul London, and Brian "Spanky" Kendrick, who I was disappointed to find out recently was some kind of anti-Semitic CHUD rear end in a top hat.

Then Eddie Guerrero died, and I lost any interest in wrestling I once had, although I don't remember if I was still watching at the time he died. I definitely tuned out before CM Punk, Bryan Danielson/Daniel Bryan, and any of the current big stars appeared. It wasn't until AEW started that I got back into wrestling, and now I'm a huge AEW fan. I also read the Death of WCW book, but it barely even mentioned the people I was into back then.

Thanks to all of you who have shared your knowledge and told stories. I would be curious about a few things, if anyone feels like going into more detail:

I know WWE made a short documentary about the WCW Cruiserweight division, but even it was kind of surface-level and only focused on a few people. Are there any stories about how and why WCW even bothered recruiting all these amazing smaller, more acrobatic wrestlers, including people from Mexico and Japan? Was one person behind all of that?

Also, I was appalled (but not surprised) to learn about backstage "Wrestlers Court," and even less surprised that Undertaker and JBL were backstage bullies who were behind a lot of that. They always seemed like dicks to me, both kayfabe and for real. Is that still a thing? Are there horror stories about it? Did anyone ever push back, aside from Lesnar that one time? It is astounding how you hardly hear about any backstage drama, politics, and out-of-control egos out of AEW, even with Cody's departure.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Also, I was appalled (but not surprised) to learn about backstage "Wrestlers Court," and even less surprised that Undertaker and JBL were backstage bullies who were behind a lot of that. They always seemed like dicks to me, both kayfabe and for real. Is that still a thing? Are there horror stories about it? Did anyone ever push back, aside from Lesnar that one time? It is astounding how you hardly hear about any backstage drama, politics, and out-of-control egos out of AEW, even with Cody's departure.

There's a couple of stories off the top of my head:

1. Back in the mid-late 2000s, WWE used to have a "dress code" they tried to make their wrestlers follow; basically when they traveled by plane, they were supposed to wear dress shirts, slacks, and dress shoes. I believe it was some bullshit Stephanie came up with to try and emulate actual sports leagues like the NBA, disregarding the fact that most sports league players don't travel and perform year-round, while wrestlers do. And as you might also expect, it was arbitrarily enforced; guys like Cena and (of course) the Undertaker didn't have to follow it, in the name of "protecting their image". CM Punk rightly thought that a dress code for guys who were independent contractors that mostly paid for their own travel was a load of bullshit, and refused to follow it. IIRC, he then got a "summons" to Wrestlers Court, which he also correctly blew off. When Undertaker confronted him about it, I believe he told him words to the effect that he was a hypocrite for expecting others to follow a dress code that he himself didn't have to, and also that he was a grown man and wasn't going to be doing Wrestlers Court-related poo poo any time soon. I think both the dress code and the whole Wrestlers Court thing quietly died not too long after that.

2. JBL got laid out backstage one night, by none other than former ECW announcer Joey Styles. Apparently JBL was doing his usual bully poo poo and from all accounts, Styles knocked him on his rear end with a single punch. Of course, both of them are Republican chud assholes, so it was less "good guy stands up to bad guy" and more "one rear end in a top hat punches another". :v: