Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/FirearmsRetro/status/1516992476883599361?s=20&t=UhpMFf9bNhTqY_RIhUPMJA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

touching story

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In more ways than one

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Waffleman_ posted:

In more ways than one

:thejoke:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The tweet is gone

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lost to the wind.........

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kaguya-sama ftw

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm debating starting that or Magia Record after I finish AoT, while my anime watching is still going

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Hey everyone, hope all is well.

I've been asked if there are full-length anime films that were initially produced in English (i.e., weren't later dubbed into English). I don't know much about anime, so I could use some help. Does anyone have any ideas on examples/titles?

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Trolling Thunder posted:

I've been asked if there are full-length anime films that were initially produced in English (i.e., weren't later dubbed into English). I don't know much about anime, so I could use some help. Does anyone have any ideas on examples/titles?

From the top of my head:
The Last Unicorn
A lot of other Rankin-Bass movies

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 22, 2022

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust famously(?) had the English dialogue completed first

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm debating starting that or Magia Record after I finish AoT, while my anime watching is still going

i've ended up liking it way more than i expected to, partially because the side cast is great and i love kei, hayasaka and moeha and they bring in way more lesbian jokes with them than i expected, but also the main pair actually is legit pretty funny

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

dogsicle posted:

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust famously(?) had the English dialogue completed first

The Highlander anime movie that Kawajiri directed as well afaik

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Thank you for the leads!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Trolling Thunder posted:

Did they have to run in theatres? Mass Effect: Paragon Lost would count I’d think.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Have they mentioned how/when they're finishing off the AoT anime yet?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trolling Thunder posted:

titan a.e.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sakurazuka posted:

I believe they said four one-hour episodes some time next year?

E: apparently this wasn't actually confirmed!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sakurazuka posted:

The "final" season is getting a third season lol

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Attack on Titan: The Final Season: The Final Season

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Halo Legends, The Animatrix, and Batman: Gotham Knight if anthologies count.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Sin for ants

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The soundtrack for that owns at least, since it's by Masamichi Amano (Giant Robo)

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Julias posted:

Sin for ants

lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

The soundtrack for that owns at least, since it's by Masamichi Amano (Giant Robo)

it's an insane movie caues it's both much ebtter than you expect but also just as bad

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
don't forget dead space

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

kirbysuperstar posted:

don't forget dead space

I'd like to forget Dead Space.

EA made a lot of lovely DVD bin anime movies to tie into their games. They also did one for Dante's Inferno and Mass Effect 3. I think they may have done one for Dragon Age but I can't remember.

Would The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf count as an anime movie, since it's basically just Castlevania with the Witcher logo on it?

There's also Batman: Gotham Knight, if we're going back a while.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Trolling Thunder posted:

Depending on if you think Blade Runner Black Lotus counts (it's a series of 13 episodes over 22 minutes each), it seemed to be originally voiced in English due to the lip movements, but made by Sola Digital Arts which is a 3D animation studio based in Tokyo.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I finished my rewatch of My-Hime, and honestly? It wasn't bad. I liked it for the most part in the end. I really liked how the rug gets pulled out from the characters where they go "Ok yeah, we're teaming up and going to fight the monsters!" and then immediately get told "oh by the way, no more monsters. Now you have to fight each other and it kills off whoever you're closest to the most." Which really made things interesting. The big problem with the series is that is just got too dumb for its own good at times (Everything with Shiho, and the Nun) and them going "Oh yeah the only person to outright admit she's a lesbian and act on those feelings is a predator" which is...well, not a very great portrayal. The action scenes were pretty neat and I really liked all the different Childs that the girls had. My biggest complaint really was at the very end where everyone just comes back to life because Miyu did something. What did she do? Well, she did something. We won't explain it, but it sure did make stuff happen! I still really like a lot of the character designs and I think the concept was a really good idea. They just needed a lot better of a writer to handle it. My-Hime ultimately isn't a bad series, but it's never great. It borders on good at best. It's an entertaining watch if you're bored, but there's much much better works out there. I really am interested to re-watch My-Otome now and see just how worse the series got.

Well, I take one thing back. I said the series never great but it is in one regards. The soundtrack is super good. Music absolutely carried that show.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
nao and teh evil lesbian and the wacky student council lesbians were the only parts of mai-hime i liked and i thought the ending was fine because it let them exist in a state that wasn't plot permadeath.

frankly i cant even count shizuru that bad because the point where she goes insane is the point in the text of the story where everyone goes insane, for arbitrary plot reasons, and the resolution to her arc is literally that natsuki realizes she feels the same way and she chills out afterwards. like i guess i can get wanting mai-hime to have any actual consequences but the problem is i cant give a poo poo cause the general consequences and progression it sets up are all stupid as poo poo and it clearly has no idea where it's trying to go with any of them

mai-otome manages to be a billion times worse thoguh despite literally being an au where natsuki and shizuru are a married couple and that is the real insane thing

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 23, 2022

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i will also admit my view on shiznat is slightly influenced by the fact that the show makes the insane choice of positioning wacky kendo guy as, the potential straight option for natsuki, via repetitive accidental sexual harassment jokes. and it's quite possible the worst running gag i have ever witnessed in an anime to the point where yeah if my choice was between him or an evil lesbian who murders people i, would go with the evil lesbian. at least she's a more interesting person. i dont think there is literally a single moment in the entire show where wacky kendo guy gets to be characterized by anything other than seeing natsuki naked.

like the core text of mai-hime isn't the worst thing in the world looking at it generally but gently caress man that show is filled to the brim with things i both find unfunny and uninteresting to the point the things criticized as weaknesses are better to me than any of that poo poo because they're more loving interesting than what else you're getting out of it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 23, 2022

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The Colonel posted:

i will also admit my view on shiznat is slightly influenced by the fact that the show makes the insane choice of positioning wacky kendo guy as, the potential straight option for natsuki, via repetitive accidental sexual harassment jokes.

Nah. The dude solely exists to be a story point for Tate’s previous issues. The whole “he finds Natsuki in embarrassing positions” thing is just a gag and I think the show is pretty good about being upfront that they’re not going to have any sort of relationship. Natsuki is never, ever interested in him and even by being repulsed by what Shizuru has done to her, she shows Shizuru more affection because she quickly realizes she does care for her and shouldn’t have pushed her away. I’ll credit the show that it pretty much never actually considers Natsuki and the kendo guy a pair, and just a vehicle for fanservice jokes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that doesnt make me look on the jokes more positively. and they were, absolutely going with giving the audience some kind of implication there, because there is a period where natsuki and shizuru literally cannot have a scene together without him walking in for a hilarious joke right after. natsuki is never presented as being interested but there is no other reason to repeat the exact same gag a billion loving times with the same mostly irrelevant guy who isn't even supposed to be characterized as being a pervert

i also don't really care for how much he contributes to tate because the scenes he gets around that are, vastly less than the scenes of him getting into hi-larious situations. and frankly i just kinda dont care about tate in general and found him to be one of the more tedious and unlikable characters in the show which is probably why i did not really care about most of the core plot

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 23, 2022

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I didn’t say you had to look at the jokes more positively. It’s totally us to personal preference whether or not the jokes land. The jokes are decades old “whoops I saw someone’s boobs/naughty bits gags” that are probably hilarious for someone at 15, not so much for adults. My point is, is that those gags are strictly that, gags. There’s all of a couple lines about “hey this guy likes you” to which Natsuki denies not caring about him at all, and the show points towards that well, being the case. The “they can’t have a scene without him barging in” is bunk. I literally just watched the show and they have a bunch of scenes together without him in it. Some of the scenes where he does come in are at the very last minute to give Natsuki a story reason for making a quick exit with Shizuru. The entire “oh he likes you, you two are good for each other” that everyone else does is the show trying to throw a smokescreen about Shizuru’s true intentions, which probably works for the target audience, but not so much when you have any kind of media literacy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well I finished AoT, shame the last OP & ED were probably my least favourite.

I should have waited til it was actually finished lol

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Owned

marumaru
May 20, 2013

finished reading yagate kimi ni naru, it was really good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they named a character shiznat lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

Well I finished AoT, shame the last OP & ED were probably my least favourite.

I should have waited til it was actually finished lol

Zep 😭