Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Oracle posted:

On the other hand, given that all these higher ups seemed good for was grift and corruption, it may instead clean out a lot of cruft.

Who would replace them? If the command pipeline rewards loyalty at the expense of competence, how do they flip that around? Where is that talent being developed?

All of the most successful generals of the last 30 years have succumbed to lead cancer or window poisoning. How long would it take to suddenly get competent professionals up and down the ranks to command Russia's army? Even then, what could this magical officer corp do with the absolute gutter runoff that mans their army and its lurching corpse of a logistics chain?

Not trying to harp on you specifically, but taking out the trash is only the first step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

fatherboxx posted:

Yesterday I have learned that when writing the word "unmanned aircraft" - беспилотник - Strelkov always writes it wrong - as безпилотник. Yet thats not out of problems with grammar but because weirdo monarchists like Strelkov actively avoid writing prefix бес- because "бес" means devil or imp. Just so you know the type of a guy he is.

Next-gen discworld technology: the imp-manned aircraft.

With the increasing utility of drones, are there any small arms drones? I would have guessed that by now there'd be small drones that infantry could deploy to scout/clear out buildings. Do bullets have too much kickback?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Young Freud posted:

So, this thing turns out to be the next-gen Switchblade, huh?

6-hour loiter time is actually incredible, it's means the thing can wait around for priority targets and travel deep into enemy territory. Something really need for hitting command posts and logistics trains.

It's retrievable, too, meaning it can be sent out and return home if it doesn't find anything.

Probably a decent lead time with transport and training. It accelerates the Russian need to do something decisive?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

paul_soccer12 posted:

dont worry the one legged guy with debilitating tummy issues who has donated nothing to any humanitarian relief org is bringing his gun to Ukraine for upright moral reasons and is going to make a material difference helping the civilians of the country hes traveling to and is definitely not just going to sit around taking pictures of himself for clout after promising to keep his favorite internet thread updated with his exploits

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

virgin rhodesia mercenary vs chad ukrainian war tourist

drans
Sep 1, 2016
Ramrod XTreme

PegLegActual posted:

Hi folks,
I promised I'd update my situation if I was traveling to Ukraine.

I've accepted the International Legion's contract offer today via videoconference and will be landing in Warsaw next week. I needed to get my own situation straightened out before making the decision including trying to have a new prosthetic made before departure (not happening dammit).

I've got a meeting with the Warsaw embassy once I land and will then be meeting up with a very kind Goon helping on the border to arrange transportation. My destination at this point is Lviv where I've got a meeting with some local units and deliveries to make. From there...no idea yet.

Thank you all for keeping me updated on the war situation since this all began. We joke a lot about these old dead forums but it has been a really valuable source. As OPSEC permits, I will absolutely be keeping you updated here and via social media if mods permit.

Cheers.

Oh no lmfao

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

nimby posted:

With the increasing utility of drones, are there any small arms drones? I would have guessed that by now there'd be small drones that infantry could deploy to scout/clear out buildings. Do bullets have too much kickback?

Why bother with overloading drone with hundreds of rounds and a weighty gun to maybe kill a couple soldiers in a single run when you can fit it with a bomb to reliably blow up a squad IFW or a command vehicle

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
This is probably a dumb question, but why haven't we (NATO) given Ukraine poo poo tons of A-10 Warthogs so they can go brrrrrrrrr on Russian tank columns and provide air support to infantry? It seems like the perfect aircraft for their defensive needs.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

the popes toes posted:

Mainly using this tweet as an excuse to include the rad looking transport vessel
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1517220465621803009?cxt=HHwWgoC5tbL-n44qAAAA

I'm surprised this is being sent by sea. I guess it's landing somewhere North since Russia is blockading the approaches from South?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but why haven't we (NATO) given Ukraine poo poo tons of A-10 Warthogs so they can go brrrrrrrrr on Russian tank columns and provide air support to infantry? It seems like the perfect aircraft for their defensive needs.

Lack of Ukrainian A10 pilots and mechanics at a guess?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Because Ukrainian pilots have no experience or training with A-10s. That's why all the plans to provide fighter jets to Ukraine involve Eastern European countries with supplies of planes Ukrainian pilots actually know how to operate giving them to Ukraine.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Planes require very very very long supply and logistics chains that Ukraine doesn't have for those specific planes. You'd need a-10 parts and ammo, training to maintain and repair, training to fly, so much training for so many people. This is why everyone's trying to give Ukraine soviet equipment since they have the logistics and skill base to use and maintain them, or one and done weapon systems that require minimal training. Planes are probably the most complex thing a military can field and require and army of specially trained people and equipment on the ground to support every hour of actual flight operations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Lack of Ukrainian A10 pilots and mechanics at a guess?
Also you need to have air superiority/supremacy to fly that kind of missions without being blown out of the sky I guess.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Aircraft require a lot of support to operate which includes everyone involved (from pilots to maintenance crews) knowing what to do with them. Ukrainian air force exclusively operate Russian-made planes so learning what to do with the overrated meme plane would take more time than the active phase of the conflict would last.

In the future of course Ukraine would love to shift to NATO equipment for a long run since they would need some replacements for everything.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

the a10 wouldn't change anything. ukraine already has su-25s and su-24s, which aren't able to rip apart russian tank columns for the same reasom an a-10 couldnt -- russia has tons of AA and su-35s that would shoot them down. the a-10 actually kinda sucks for this situation.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The A10 is a slow moving ground attack air craft that's vulnerable to fighter aircraft. That's not going to work well against a country with lots of its own aircraft.

From a logistics perspective it also has the problem of getting shot a lot which means you need to be able to continually repair it, have lots of skilled technicians trained to work on it, etc.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Same as a lot of other US/NATO vehicles. It's not easy to learn to fly and fight with, or to fix, a lot of the parts and ammo would need to be moved over too. Better to send over what they can put to immediate use.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Training: the UAF doesn't use A-10s (nobody but the US does), so would have to be trained up to fly it.
Escalation: the Russians would undoubtedly see it as direct US/NATO involvement, with all the dangers that entails.

The US military would probably love to hand over all their Warthogs to someone else as they've been trying to get rid of them in favour of something newer, shinier and more expensive for years if not decades, but Congress keeps telling them "are you loving kidding?"

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It's the lack of pilots, etc., but also from what I gather the A-10s are really only useful against enemies with poor anti-aircraft capability (too slow)--against an enemy like Russia with a large quantity of more modern anti-aircraft systems they wouldn't survive. Apparently the USAF has been trying to retire the A-10s for years, but Congress won't let them.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

That Italian Guy posted:

I'm surprised this is being sent by sea. I guess it's landing somewhere North since Russia is blockading the approaches from South?

Says it's going to Poland, so it's headed to Gdansk or some other Baltic Sea port, not through the Black Sea.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Sure you could send A-10s to Ukraine but you could achieve exactly the same effect for a lot less time and money by just shooting a bunch of A-10 pilots in the head.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Random Integer posted:

Sure you could send A-10s to Ukraine but you could achieve exactly the same effect for a lot less time and money by just shooting a bunch of A-10 pilots in the head.

:commissar:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The real problem with sending A-10s is that as soon any of them see one of the donated British vehicles they have to attack it. It's a Pavlovian response that has been incredibly resistant to retraining.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

The usual grains of salt
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1517387374115926017?s=20&t=VAijgZ1R3kSY-ecxzAfr4Q

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Instead of sending A10s just sell Ukraine some cruise missles. Given it would be slow to plane/train/truck them into Ukraine it's probably best to launch them and deliver them straight to their final destination. Slap a fedex sticker on the side of the missle and charge them extra for express delivery.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Antigravitas posted:

The real problem with sending A-10s is that as soon any of them see one of the donated British vehicles they have to attack it. It's a Pavlovian response that has been incredibly resistant to retraining.

Really that goes for any American gear

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Sir John Falstaff posted:

It's the lack of pilots, etc., but also from what I gather the A-10s are really only useful against enemies with poor anti-aircraft capability (too slow)--against an enemy like Russia with a large quantity of more modern anti-aircraft systems they wouldn't survive. Apparently the USAF has been trying to retire the A-10s for years, but Congress won't let them.

Which is reasonable as the US does tend to have air supremacy and there is no real replacement for the A10 yet. I do think the replacement will be a UAV and that will help sell it to the Army - "close air support and you dont even need to have pilots in your branch!".

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Periphery posted:

Instead of sending A10s just sell Ukraine some cruise missles. Given it would be slow to plane/train/truck them into Ukraine it's probably best to launch them and deliver them straight to their final destination. Slap a fedex sticker on the side of the missle and charge them extra for express delivery.

Designate the launch sites as a Ukrainian embassy so they're not launched from NATO territory, but sovereign Ukraine territory. One weird trick, Putin hates it!

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Let's give Ukraine A10s! Let's give them Abrams tanks! Let's give them F22s! How hard can it be for them to operate? I operate them just fine on my Xbox!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

the popes toes posted:

Mainly using this tweet as an excuse to include the rad looking transport vessel
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1517220465621803009?cxt=HHwWgoC5tbL-n44qAAAA

Isabel, your boyfriendweapons are here

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

If we assume most of the "missing" are dead and the rest captured, seems reasonable

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

OctaMurk posted:

the a10 wouldn't change anything. ukraine already has su-25s and su-24s, which aren't able to rip apart russian tank columns for the same reasom an a-10 couldnt -- russia has tons of AA and su-35s that would shoot them down. the a-10 actually kinda sucks for this situation.

Neither side has air-supremacy at this point. Both side are running helicopters, UAVs, etc.., so the A-10 would be operating in a contested environment and it would be dangerous for it to do so, but acting like the current Russian army has the same competency and lethality of the Soviet forces has been proven wrong for a while now.

The A-10 could do a lot of good work, it would also be vulnerable and considerable planning would have to go into how it was employed. That said, the USAF isn't going to give up airframes to Ukraine. Anything they do get is going to be something that was already extraneous, or something expendable that can easily be refurbished.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Have a bad feeling about a hundred sailors still designated as missing a week after the sinking.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Do the Russians know how many troops they have on the ground? What happens during an unexpected mobilisation when the commanders etc need to balance soldiers on paycheque vs real soldiers - do they say at that point "these X soldiers aren't mobilisation ready, so we have Y to work with" or do they keep the lie going and then write then off as deserted/missing/dead later?

I'm wondering how ghost soldiers would affect internal casualty reporting, which from the sounds of it would have been a mess regardless

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

fatherboxx posted:

Have a bad feeling about a hundred sailors still designated as missing a week after the sinking.

They just went for a swim

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

They just went for a swim

Crimea has some nice beach resorts

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Charliegrs posted:

Let's give Ukraine A10s! Let's give them Abrams tanks! Let's give them F22s! How hard can it be for them to operate? I operate them just fine on my Xbox!

I mean who else but US could just big dick it, put all their spare Abrams onto the border fueled, loaded and tell the Ukrainian tank crews to ride them until they give up. The crew can then just catch a (tractor) ride back, take new Abrams and do it again :v:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

fatherboxx posted:

Yeah well, they are not suffering.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The A10 fleet had a life expectancy of days in an 80's conflict, and the SAM environment has not gotten better. It is not something you take anywhere near a conflict where someone might actually shoot back unless you have no choice.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Xarn posted:

I mean who else but US could just big dick it, put all their spare Abrams onto the border fueled, loaded and tell the Ukrainian tank crews to ride them until they give up. The crew can then just catch a (tractor) ride back, take new Abrams and do it again :v:

Seems like a reasonably efficient way to donate tanks to Russia I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

nimby posted:

Next-gen discworld technology: the imp-manned aircraft.

A device that can be hard-countered by a closed door is probably not the ideal solution for clearing out buildings.