Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

postmodifier posted:

...how often have you observed substantial amounts of blood oxidizing?

just asking, like, for the public record

Blood and jizz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Blood in a concrete garage usually just goes really dark almost black.

I usually try to hose it out before it gets really hard but there's always a few splatters that need scrubbing.

I'm talking about animal blood, obviously. But I assume person juices are similar.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/tmikamouse/status/1517133692061241344?s=21&t=-Ekj7bLC9ZQKYxiVy1Tb_w

:lol:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Right to Work state baby. Suck it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I hope three more people immediately submitted their notice.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zil posted:

Right to Work state baby. Suck it.

Actually you’re thinking of At Will employment

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Actually you’re thinking of At Will employment

Eh, close enough. But yeah the company can suck it either way.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
*bosses customer*: "nah, don't remind them, they'll be in to pick up the stuff eventually"
*my customer*: "have you called yet? you should call again. call them. go ahead and give them another call. do they know yet? have you called? they need to pick up their stuff give them another call."

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Verdugo posted:

Because our managers think: if meet metrics on a whole who cares about poor performers? Easier to let them slack and pile work on the good folks instead.

This sounds like a dick move, but their goal is sometimes to get the good performers promoted just before or after they get promoted, escaping all consequences and escaping the awful duty of during someone who had been there a decade or so.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Twitter crop cuts off the best part of this:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Yeah, that won't hold up in court. What a colossal dumbass.

naem
May 29, 2011

highly illegal and unenforceable, and if the guy bad talks anyone when verifying employment massive lawsuit

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ultrafilter posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

At no point does the boss ask 'why are they leaving for better opportunities? Can I offer a better opportunity?'

There's more at the bottom do we have the rest? Also name and shame this shitbag company.

naem
May 29, 2011

it only takes three people to file a class action lawsuit that can take every penny that business has

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

If not lawsuits, then that boss just earned themselves a lot of three month notices where the employee sent it to their personal email and CC'ed the boss but 'accidentally' misspelled their address so it never got delivered. Whoops.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah for real. A place like that isn't going to give you a good reference so theres no reason not to find another job and give one seconds notice the second you sign another contract.

So loving dumb please let there be a follow-up.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lol. 3 months notice.

I'm still so proud of my former co-workers for coordinating their leaving.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm pretty sure demanding 3-month notice is illegal, and docking someone's pay if they put in their notice would even more illegal.

As far as I know giving 2-weeks notice is a courtesy, not a requirement.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I can't imagine a single employee getting a notice like that and not quitting right on the spot, or worse.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Notice requirements actually go both ways in Canada, its just extremely rare that it could be enforced for the employer because they would have to be able to show damages - whereas an employee can easily show damages by not having a paycheque anymore. But there have actually been cases of like lawyers or CEOs intentionally loving over their employers by quitting without notice being legally liable for it.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

evilpicard posted:

Notice requirements actually go both ways in Canada, its just extremely rare that it could be enforced for the employer because they would have to be able to show damages - whereas an employee can easily show damages by not having a paycheque anymore. But there have actually been cases of like lawyers or CEOs intentionally loving over their employers by quitting without notice being legally liable for it.

It's basically the same situation in Japan, so it's also extremely hard to fire someone.

Edit: Seriously, lol at that message. I'd definitely walk.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm pretty sure demanding 3-month notice is illegal, and docking someone's pay if they put in their notice would even more illegal.

In the United States (I'm assuming this is US, but I guess there are shithead business owners everywhere), there's absolutely no legal problem. The employer can alter the employee's pay (provided it doesn't take them below minimum wage, and not retroactively), they can change the job description and duties on a whim, they can demand overtime as a condition of employment, and the employee's only recourse is to quit. And the employer can demand whatever notice they want. It doesn't mean they'll get it, mind you: At Will employment cuts both ways. But they're not breaking any laws.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Karia posted:

In the United States (I'm assuming this is US, but I guess there are shithead business owners everywhere), there's absolutely no legal problem. The employer can alter the employee's pay (provided it doesn't take them below minimum wage, and not retroactively),

this is mega illegal fyi, particularly if it's retaliatory

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is mega illegal fyi, particularly if it's retaliatory

I double checked: depends on the state, but generally it's no problem unless:
* The change of rate wasn't announced prior to the hours it applies to (again, the pay change can't be retroactive).
* The change is in response to a protected activity, like union activity or reporting harassment. Giving notice is not a protected activity.
* There's a contract (e.g. a union contract) with other provisions in place.
* The pay cut is discriminatory, like if they apply it only to black people or women or some other protected class (giving notice does not put you in a protected class).

So yeah, your boss can come up to you mid-shift and say "starting now you're minimum wage" and there really isn't much you can do about it, unless you can prove it falls under one of the specific restrictions that prohibit it*. They have to pay you the old wage for all the hours up to the exact point where they notify you, but after that it's fair game. Is this horrific? Yes! Is it surprising? No! The US has even fewer work protections than most people think. Obviously, talk to an employment lawyer if necessary.

EDIT:
* Just clarifying: this depends on your state. Nine states require a certain amount of advance notice, ranging from 24 hours up to 30 days (bizarrely, Missouri requires the most). Outside of that... good luck!

Karia fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 22, 2022

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Karia posted:

Is this horrific? Yes! Is it surprising? No! The US has even fewer work protections than most people think. Obviously, talk to an employment lawyer if necessary.

At this stage im more surprised to hear that there are any protections at all in America.

For anything.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Karia posted:

I double checked: depends on the state, but generally it's no problem unless:
* The change of rate wasn't announced prior to the hours it applies to (again, the pay change can't be retroactive).
* The change is in response to a protected activity, like union activity or reporting harassment. Giving notice is not a protected activity.
* There's a contract (e.g. a union contract) with other provisions in place.
* The pay cut is discriminatory, like if they apply it only to black people or women or some other protected class (giving notice does not put you in a protected class).

So yeah, your boss can come up to you mid-shift and say "starting now you're minimum wage" and there really isn't much you can do about it, unless you can prove it falls under one of the specific restrictions that prohibit it. They have to pay you the old wage for all the hours up to the exact point where they notify you, but after that it's fair game. Is this horrific? Yes! Is it surprising? No! The US has even fewer work protections than most people think. Obviously, talk to an employment lawyer if necessary.

cutting pay at the same time as violating worker's rights like that email seemingly made sure to carefully spell out is clear-cut retaliation and is probably illegal in your state and definitely illegal federally

e: the mandatory overtime is also definitely retaliation. like in the email he helpfully explains how it for sure is

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 22, 2022

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

At this stage im more surprised to hear that there are any protections at all in America.

For anything.

There are plenty of worker protections, they're just trivially circumvented. Unless your boss sends you an email detailing in bullet points all the ways he is violating them.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

cutting pay at the same time as violating worker's rights like that email seemingly made sure to carefully spell out is clear-cut retaliation and is probably illegal in your state and definitely illegal federally

e: the mandatory overtime is also definitely retaliation. like in the email he helpfully explains how it for sure is

Can you please explain where they violate the worker's rights? I don't see anything in that email that's actual illegal and would qualify the workers for protection from retaliation. It's horrible and awful and should be illegal. I want the workers to be protected from this horrific abuse of power. But I don't think they are. Mandatory overtime is not illegal, provided employees are compensated at the required overtime rates. And I don't think it can be classified as retaliation when workers are being forced to do overtime because somebody else quit.
https://www.upcounsel.com/mandatory-overtime

The employer is going to be punished for this, but it'll be by all their workers quitting (with no notice whatsoever), not because of the labor board.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

fisting by many posted:

There are plenty of worker protections, they're just trivially circumvented. Unless your boss sends you an email detailing in bullet points all the ways he is violating them.

So they aren't really protecting anyone.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

So they aren't really protecting anyone.

That's right. But they're technically there!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

fisting by many posted:

That's right. But they're technically there!
Fair.

At this stage im more surprised to hear that there are any effective protections at all in America.

For anything.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Karia posted:

Can you please explain where they violate the worker's rights? I don't see anything in that email that's actual illegal and would qualify the workers for protection from retaliation. It's horrible and awful and should be illegal. I want the workers to be protected from this horrific abuse of power. But I don't think they are. Mandatory overtime is not illegal, provided employees are compensated at the required overtime rates. And I don't think it can be classified as retaliation when workers are being forced to do overtime because somebody else quit.

The employer is going to be punished for this, but it'll be by all their workers quitting (with no notice whatsoever), not because of the labor board.

well let's see it sounds like he's creating a hostile work environment and threatening constructive dismissal, those are both big ones

also he mentions base pay, which sounds a lot like base salary plus something like sales percentage, which makes sense since it appears that this might be the business:

so he's probably going to run into trouble forcing everyone to sign new agreements, esp with his claim that receiving the email will serve as his employees' notice of all this

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Karia posted:

source ur joke posts

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

cool another agile meeting where two of the six team members will come up with and take responsibility for all the cards we'll be casting aside three days in to the sprint

coooooool cool cool guess I'll dab it out

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Boomer rear end in a top hat bosses losing their minds (and consequently their entire workforce) is the theme of the day apparently.

Love the "Don't loving @ me" at the end. Apparently this was sent hours before the dickhead went on a two week vacation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Critical posted:

Boomer rear end in a top hat bosses losing their minds (and consequently their entire workforce) is the theme of the day apparently.

Love the "Don't loving @ me" at the end. Apparently this was sent hours before the dickhead went on a two week vacation.

They won't get any emails cause the whole team will finish their two weeks notice before this person returns

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I know there are people that loving MAGA'ed, but it's hard for me to conceive they are dumb enough to put all of that in writing.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Critical posted:

Narrator: IT did not install the blockers after all.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Frustrating when a long time competent contact in another dept leaves and their replacement doesn't seem to know the function of their team. Going from advanced project planning to make significant process improvements to fielding questions about whether or not their team is responsible for a critical business function, and getting mild surprise when I affirm that yes they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Critical posted:

Regards,

BUTTFUCKER

COCKSLIME INDUSTRIES