Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

dhamster posted:

Computer chess tournaments have many games that end in mate, even though each side is doing the top computer move

Don't computer chess tournaments also start from the middle game (using an opening database) specifically to force imbalanced situations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I'd expect if they didn't stockfish would just repeat the same game over and over and alphazero might too depending on if the previous game was added to its model or not

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Interesting, I did not know that.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't computer chess tournaments also start from the middle game (using an opening database) specifically to force imbalanced situations

Not quite middle game, but generally the first five or so moves yes.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Ladies and gentlemen I present to you:

https://lichess.org/GXfvx5aWkbTv

Scamming the KBN v K endgame by hitting the 50 move draw one move before mate.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

You could hear their howl of frustration through the internet!

I love making the enemy king take a long trip across the board to visit my own king in his castle.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Hand Knit posted:

A work of beauty.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Baronash posted:

Just generally, do you think it's possible for a game of chess to end in mate without either player making a mistake (or what a modern chess engine would classify as a mistake)? I don't mean theoretical perfect play, but could a couple of middling chess players play a game where they're not always playing the top engine move, and those imperfections accumulate into one player being a pawn up or in an advantageous position without an engine classifying any single move as "wrong"? Or would your opponent probably be in a position to force a draw in those circumstances?

I'm a titled correspondence player on ICCF, the FIDE recognized body over international correspondence. Engine assistance is legal on ICCF.

1) I have won games where I have won where my opponent played "perfectly" according to that generation's version of stockfish, sure.

2) Stockfish has gotten much better since then with NNUE, and now it would consider some of those moves as inaccuracies at the least

3) Super GMs have a very hard time playing games without an engine finding mistakes, so middling chess players in your example it would be practically impossible in open play. Since you are saying not perfect play, like if you play with the third best move every move so long as it isn't a negative eval while any even eval is available, then yes, it would still be possible, even easy, for one side to accumulate a winning advantage. But the same engine may when doing analysis of a game from the end be able to reevaluate those moves and call some mistakes and inaccuracies in retrospect.

jiggerypokery posted:

No one really knows if perfect play is a draw because chess isn't solved. It can't ever be solved either.
I have a post earlier in the thread with my argument that I do in fact practically know that chess is a draw and why. We can't hard mathematically solve a tremendous amount of things we still colloquially "know".

cheetah7071 posted:

Not always, but it is common for some events to so something like start with a randomized 4 move book. I wouldn't call that the middlegame though. More to ensure diversity of openings. Engines can still have plenty of move variety starting from move 1 by UCI settings. And it isn't the case that the same engine always creates the same evaluation of the same position every game by default so in general no they don't just repeat the same game over and over again.

Very large databases of recent computer games, especially decisive ones, have always been very interesting to correspondence players. Even players on sites that don't allow engines tend to allow databases after all.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I think its fair to say we know chess is a draw in the way we know the value of pi. I actually wonder if it wasn't fundamentally a draw it would be anything like as important as it is as a human sport.

I suppose given perfect play tennis is a draw too. It would just be an infinite rally till the heat death of the universe. It's the error that makes it interesting

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

dhamster posted:

Is aimchess premium worth it? I thought I was getting somewhere in terms of bullet rating but I've been pretty stagnant around 1150 for awhile now. I'm not really sure what I should be doing to improve, because just playing a lot of games isn't getting me very far lately. It's weird because I had really steady improvement when I was playing rapid rapid, but bullet has just not been working out for me in the same way.

e: Had a good day and I'm back in the low 1200s. Maybe it'll just happen with steady practice. Some lessons about creating passed pawns have been helping me in the endgame.

Been having a really good couple of days and I'm at an all time high of 1276 1305 in bullet. Not a huge accomplishment but it feels like I'm improving. I've just been trying to study the fundamentals a little bit every day and it's helped me make some better decisions. Plus at this low level, sometime the opponent just entirely shits themself, which is nice (except when it happens to me).

Does anyone know of some solid attacking lines against the caro kann? I started to have a more fun time against the Sicilian when I started to learn the Grand Prix, and although I play caro kann as black all the time, I find myself a little bit aimless playing against it as white.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 13, 2022

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

jiggerypokery posted:

I think its fair to say we know chess is a draw in the way we know the value of pi. I actually wonder if it wasn't fundamentally a draw it would be anything like as important as it is as a human sport.

I suppose given perfect play tennis is a draw too. It would just be an infinite rally till the heat death of the universe. It's the error that makes it interesting

Perfect golf would be hella satisfying though. Tiny white ball curving and arcing eighteen times over nearly 4 miles of grass, impeccably locating its three-inch target each time...

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

dhamster posted:

Been having a really good couple of days and I'm at an all time high of 1276 1305 in bullet. Not a huge accomplishment but it feels like I'm improving. I've just been trying to study the fundamentals a little bit every day and it's helped me make some better decisions. Plus at this low level, sometime the opponent just entirely shits themself, which is nice (except when it happens to me).

Does anyone know of some solid attacking lines against the caro kann? I started to have a more fun time against the Sicilian when I started to learn the Grand Prix, and although I play caro kann as black all the time, I find myself a little bit aimless playing against it as white.

go h5 after bf5?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

dhamster posted:

If you want to just throw poo poo at your opponent and see if they explode, try the bayonet variation of the advance. 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 Bf5 4.Nc3 e6 5.g4. The main lines of the open all offer good attacking chances for white, but you have to learn a handful of theory.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im around 1500 bullet on lichess and my favorite attacking line against caro kann at this level is

1. e4 c6
2. d4 d5
3. e5 Bf5
4. h4

it’s statistically the winningest common opening against people at my rating level, although that is largely because a good 1/4 to 1/3 of the time they play e6 and trap their bishop

if they respond with the more common move h6 then you continue attacking with

5. g4 Bh7
6. e6 fxe6
7. Bd3

which leaves you with very good practical chances for winning the game especially because blacks king is now exposed along the diagonal that the f pawn should be guarding

this exact line comes up very often for me, it’s super common and gives white a lot of attacking chances (below is filtered for bullet and blitz rating under 1800)

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Thanks for the ideas, those both look really interesting. I'll try these out and see what happens. I usually play the exchange instead of the advance but I like how h4 h5 gives an outpost for the black bishop. The bayonet attack looks really venomous as well. Stuff like this keeps me interested in the game.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

D34THROW posted:

Perfect golf would be hella satisfying though. Tiny white ball curving and arcing eighteen times over nearly 4 miles of grass, impeccably locating its three-inch target each time...

Can you imagine? Boston dynamics running robo golf tournaments as the next stage of the ai chess dick swinging contests of the last 50 years.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Maybe this isn't the exact best place to post this, but it _is_ chess related.

I'm very new to the game and have been learning since maybe a few months ago. I'm trying to understand some tactical basics and have been playing a lot against the CPU on lichess, ramping up the level as I succeed.

I have trouble with some of the middle game and am still trying to understand the precepts behind certain openings.

What are some recommended resources for newbies like me? As well as valuable advice in terms of play? I am aware of trying to control the middle of the board early and stuff like that.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

find daniel naroditsky’s youtube channel, watch his Oh My Lands playlist from the start until it feels like it’s getting too high level for you, then watch his new Sensei playlist from the start

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Thanks. Presuming the first playlist you mentioned is this one?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WPNVHZmYE8

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yep, that’s the one!

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

dhamster posted:

two knights is a lot of fun against the caro-kann. lot of easy traps for black to fall into

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Does anyone have any insight into why the computer thinks I should exchange a queen for a rook? This is chess.com app.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

The queen and rook are about to mate you. The only way to avoid that is to get rid of one of them. The rook is the only one you can take out.

It's the best move in a very bad situation.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

poonchasta posted:

Does anyone have any insight into why the computer thinks I should exchange a queen for a rook? This is chess.com app.

Youre in a precarious position so it recommends you simplify. Its high level computer precision

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Control Volume posted:

Its high level computer precision

…what? It’s the only move that doesn’t lead to a (pretty obvious) forced mate.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 17, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly at lower elos you're probably better off keeping your queen and hoping they don't find mate and then blunder away their advantage

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Thank you, all.

I have platinum membership on chess.com for unlimited analysis and puzzles. Is it worth it to upgrade to diamond for a ELO 600 ish player? The insights feature that analyzes your games and tells you what you suck at seems like a good feature.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

poonchasta posted:

Thank you, all.

I have platinum membership on chess.com for unlimited analysis and puzzles. Is it worth it to upgrade to diamond for a ELO 600 ish player? The insights feature that analyzes your games and tells you what you suck at seems like a good feature.

You can get a free trial of diamond here: lichess.org

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

You can get a free trial of diamond here: lichess.org

I don't feel comfortable using that site since their source code got hacked.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

poonchasta posted:

i'm not sure what level we're on here

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

poonchasta posted:

ive been saying this

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Maybe sign up for aimchess's free monthly analysis? My opinion is paying for analysis at a level under... Not sure what exactly, maybe strong club player/~1800 chess.com rating? is not worth it because your weaknesses will be too numerous and basic things that don't require much analysis. Learn an opening you're comfortable with, check your king safety, look for hanging pieces, that kind of thing. Interested to hear what others think though.

poonchasta posted:

Is it worth it to upgrade to diamond...

[edit] the main point being there are plenty of free resources that are more useful at this stage

Esposito fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 17, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

poonchasta posted:

Thank you, all.

i have diamond and get some utility out of it, but honestly at that elo your biggest gains are probably going to be from spotting hanging pieces, and you don't need fancy analysis for that

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Baronash posted:

…what? It’s the only move that doesn’t lead to a (pretty obvious) forced mate.

With enough time and resources the computer woudl say they all lead to forced mate :smug: :smuggo:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Or you can go down the engine wormhole and buy a copy of Kommodo like I did and document all your games in a master library so every lovely 1000 elo 10 min rapid game you have done is in the record books.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

algebra testes posted:

Or you can go down the engine wormhole and buy a copy of Kommodo like I did and document all your games in a master library so every lovely 1000 elo 10 min rapid game you have done is in the record books.

Isn't every online chess game recorded anyway?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I realize it's chesscom and doesn't really mean much, but I hit 66.6 percentile rapid so hail Satan. Dumb milestones like that make me feel better about being an adult learner as well as a bad trying to work my way to becoming not-terrible.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I guess chess.com is selling NFTs now, or planning to

https://www.chess.com/legal/user-agreement

I've gone and closed my account, lichess is good enough.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

What are they gonna do? Sell 1.e4 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

What are they gonna do? Sell 1.e4 lol
you can mint any game you play as an nft and sell it. idk whether the right goes to white or black or the person who won the game or just whoever clicks buton first. stopped reading before that bit, all sounded too stupid