Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Dan and Graham are the only 13 companions who were any good. Ryan basically had negative personality (can you name any moment where he did or said anything interesting) and Yaz's writing undercut Mandip Gil's efforts constantly.

Karvanista was great too, does he count as a companion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OldMemes posted:

Dan and Graham are the only 13 companions who were any good. Ryan basically had negative personality (can you name any moment where he did or said anything interesting) and Yaz's writing undercut Mandip Gil's efforts constantly.

Karvanista was great too, does he count as a companion?

Ryan wasn't given anything to work with.
At the start he had a live blog and was telling the story of the Doctor. That could have been fun, him recording things and commenting on them during events like a 5th Element Chris Rock character, but that was dropped instantly.
He was studying to be a mechanic, and they had him check out any engine or go 'I can try to fix that' none times in my memory.
He had Dyspraxia too, which could have been used to show the disability and how he'd cope and overcome it. But nothing except the bike at the end. Wasn't he riding a motorbike in the ep chasing Lenny Henry, cant remember.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That Ryan can't figure out the bike but isn't going to give up trying was a good way to end his story but yeah, it wasn't exactly a through-line for his character. I think a lot of what was supposed to go on with him was him working out how to deal with his relationship with Graham, but they sort of worked it out early and ran out of stuff to do with him. It's hard when the TARDIS is crowded, you sort of have to figure that most writers have a one-off sci-fi story in their head that they have to adjust based on who the companions are, and not everyone is going to nail the characterization. Chibnall's own writing is hit-or-miss at best but I think the companions were more consistent when he was writing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Ryan wasn't given anything to work with.
At the start he had a live blog and was telling the story of the Doctor. That could have been fun, him recording things and commenting on them during events like a 5th Element Chris Rock character, but that was dropped instantly.
He was studying to be a mechanic, and they had him check out any engine or go 'I can try to fix that' none times in my memory.
He had Dyspraxia too, which could have been used to show the disability and how he'd cope and overcome it. But nothing except the bike at the end. Wasn't he riding a motorbike in the ep chasing Lenny Henry, cant remember.

It's not uncommon for some aspects of characters to just be dropped because they don't fit an ongoing narrative. It is weird when all of them are dropped. :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

It's not uncommon for some aspects of characters to just be dropped because they don't fit an ongoing narrative. It is weird when all of them are dropped. :v:

Ah, yes, the "Kamelion error"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bicyclops posted:

Ah, yes, the "Kamelion error"

To be fair, it's not like the person who controlled Tosin Cole died and none of the crew knew how to work him

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chibnall frontloaded their backstories and traits instead of letting personalities come out, especially with Ryan. All of the good companions over the years just started with a basic stock premise and a personality, and then those identifying traits and backstory came out over time, inserted where it was needed. Donna's was "is bridezilla" and they just let her chew the scenery.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

To be fair, it's not like the person who controlled Tosin Cole died and none of the crew knew how to work him

Maybe that's why he couldn't ride the bike.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So are there any rumors yet as to who the next Doctor will be?

Seems strange that it's so close to the regeneration episode and it hasn't been announced yet.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Seems strange that it's so close to the regeneration episode and it hasn't been announced yet.

Not that strange. Regen episode is probably going to be nearer the end of the year.
This article hints that we might get an announcement soon though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61111999

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Mr Beens posted:

Not that strange. Regen episode is probably going to be nearer the end of the year.
This article hints that we might get an announcement soon though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61111999

Oh, BBC News. Please do better: "Jodie Whittaker became the first female to play the Doctor in 2018."

I would have accepted "became the first female Doctor" or "became the first woman" or even the now-antiquated "became the first actress" (though ignoring The Curse of Fatal Death is a little suspect), but "first female"? Have they hired a Dalek to edit?

"ANY EMPLOYEE WHO DOES NOT USE THE OXFORD COMMA WILL BE EXTERMINATED!"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
there's probably something to be said about britain becoming TERF island coinciding with the total gutting of Doctor Who as a production and the near obliteration of the Doctor's interiority right when they become an implicitly trans character.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Not to mention that Whittaker started to play the Doctor in 2017, even if only for the last minute of Twice Upon a Time.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

AndyElusive posted:

Oh, absolutely yes! Lots of rumors. Many of them the same rumors as the last two times the doctor regenerated. Credible rumors you mean? No, none.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's me, I'm the 14th Doctor.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Idris Elba will always be the next doctor until he isn't

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Harlock posted:

Hes the Quantum Doctor. He is definitely every doctor until you open the box and he isnt.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Harlock posted:

The reveal comes, and up pops his face.
Then he grins like a psycho and hes actually the new Master.
Pulls back and hes got Tennant strapped to a table.
Fin.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

isn't there a rumor the David from Legion is up for Bond or Doctor who? Because drat now I want him to be.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The rumour mill not so long back was certain that RTD would choose one of the It’s a Sin cast to be Fourteen, with Lydia West favourite followed closely by Olly Alexander and Omari Douglas close behind.

The Tennant rumours have catapulted him to the favourite now, but I don’t think he’ll do anything beyond the 60th.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I'm not sure I could see Dan Stevens committing to a full run as the Doctor, I think it'd definitely bring an interesting vibe if he channeled some of that Legion energy into the character.

Which is why he's perfect for a limited single season run as The Doctor. The Valeyard Doctor. PM me RTD and we can work out credit/payment.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I really feel like a regeneration into Tennant would be an open admission of creative bankruptcy. It would literally be RTD saying "I have no new ideas and I'm only here to recapture old glories". I dont see him doing it, I have my issues with Rustys writing on Who, but I think more of him than that and I dont see tennant going for it either tbh.

Personally I reckon the new doctor will be... Someone who isnt even in the conversation. Same way Whittaker, Capaldi, Smith and Tennant werent for their respective castings. Dont get me wrong, I'll fantasy cast all day (Patterson Joseph please), but no-one called any of the nu-who doctors before their reveals, I doubt this will be different.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

I still would like to see Ioan Gruffudd as the Doctor - just needs to go through a couple of divorces and a drinking problem to make him suitably more gruff (pun not intended).

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

TinTower posted:

The rumour mill not so long back was certain that RTD would choose one of the It’s a Sin cast to be Fourteen, with Lydia West favourite followed closely by Olly Alexander and Omari Douglas close behind.

Those still seem the most likely options to me, or if not one of them then someone else who'd been in It's a Sin and/or Years & Years. Both Tennant and Eccleston had starred in RTD projects before they became the Doctor so there's a fair chance that'll happen again.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SiKboy posted:

I really feel like a regeneration into Tennant would be an open admission of creative bankruptcy. It would literally be RTD saying "I have no new ideas and I'm only here to recapture old glories". I dont see him doing it, I have my issues with Rustys writing on Who, but I think more of him than that and I dont see tennant going for it either tbh.

I wouldn't be surprised that Tennant is in the show given that the 60th anniversary is coming up, but yeah an actual degeneration is pretty unlikely.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Rochallor posted:

I wouldn't be surprised that Tennant is in the show given that the 60th anniversary is coming up, but yeah an actual degeneration is pretty unlikely.

Oh sure, I've no issue with multi-doctor stories (really any time but especially anniversaries, love a multi doctor story, even the objectively weak ones), I'm specifically talking about the rumors I've seen floated along the lines of "RTD is bringing Tennant back as the new doctor".

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Voting Floater posted:

Those still seem the most likely options to me, or if not one of them then someone else who'd been in It's a Sin and/or Years & Years. Both Tennant and Eccleston had starred in RTD projects before they became the Doctor so there's a fair chance that'll happen again.

T'Nia Miller sometimes gets a shout, due to her being in Cucumber and Y&Y, but she was also one of the incarnations of the Time Lord general that pops up in the Moffat years, so… :shrug:

Fisayo Akinade would be interesting, being the first Doctor to have his cock out on Channel 4 (in a chastity cage, mind you, but it still counts).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TinTower posted:

T'Nia Miller sometimes gets a shout, due to her being in Cucumber and Y&Y, but she was also one of the incarnations of the Time Lord general that pops up in the Moffat years, so… :shrug:

Fisayo Akinade would be interesting, being the first Doctor to have his cock out on Channel 4 (in a chastity cage, mind you, but it still counts).

She wouldnt be the first actor to appear in Who and later be cast as The Doctor, so thats not necessarily an impediment!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SecretOfSteel posted:

I still would like to see Ioan Gruffudd as the Doctor - just needs to go through a couple of divorces and a drinking problem to make him suitably more gruff (pun not intended).

He could try acting?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I really don't want another boy doctor

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TinTower posted:

The Tennant rumours have catapulted him to the favourite now, but I don’t think he’ll do anything beyond the 60th.

I generally don't put much stock in "this person who was in showrunner's last show will be the new Doctor!" even if there is precedent to it, but I gotta say I'd be really interested in a Lydia West Doctor. Especially if they make Keeley Hawes The Master :getin:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Khanstant posted:

I really don't want another boy doctor

Matt Smith was 9 years ago.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Plus he was simultaneously 9 and 10,000 years old.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
That’s something missing from 13, a sense of age beyond years. Beyond off-hand comments, you don’t get a sense this Doctor has lived through anything like a Time War.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
She has no past, only a mysterious past. Again, part of me wonders if they just don't want to acknowledge any recent stories at all because having been Tennant and Baker and Capaldi makes her Too Trans for British TV

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

She has no past, only a mysterious past. Again, part of me wonders if they just don't want to acknowledge any recent stories at all because having been Tennant and Baker and Capaldi makes her Too Trans for British TV

The BBC is still staffed by a ton of left-leaning people despite the news division. We’re not full on terf island yet.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
This part of Patrick Troughton’s Wiki page (regarding his death and cremation) raised a grim smile:

”During the passage to England, the ashes were mislaid”

He died as his serials lived.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Robert J. Omb posted:

This part of Patrick Troughton’s Wiki page (regarding his death and cremation) raised a grim smile:

”During the passage to England, the ashes were mislaid”

He died as his serials lived.

Maybe they ended up with his secret other family.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Rochallor posted:

Maybe they ended up with his secret other family.

Troughton 6B?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

SiKboy posted:

I really feel like a regeneration into Tennant would be an open admission of creative bankruptcy. It would literally be RTD saying "I have no new ideas and I'm only here to recapture old glories".
Honestly? I'd take it.
Creative bankruptcy and trying to recapture old glories is a massive step up from whatever the show has been recently.
Have the Doctor regenerate into Donna and someone who happens to look and act exactly like David Tennant be her companion while they re-act the entirety of the scripts of series 4 with swapped roles and I will tune in every week and buy the blu-ray.