Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i like this thread for dumb poo poo like slovenian election talk tbh

who's ready for malta this month???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
speaking of dumb slovenian poo poo, there's an investigation into slovenian right's russian links (their media is getting funded by oligarchs, there's pretty firm evidence but through some proxies so of course they deny everything), and yesterday when asked about it the PM got irritated and eventually just stood up left the meeting trump style

nothing really new there, except maybe from an even bigger embarrassment than usual standpoint, but today the kiev-ljubljana cultural association denounced the (govt organized) "protest in support of ukraine", which was really more of a war rally, and attended by like 200 people (compared to the actual anti-war protest a day earlier which had thousands), he called them putin's puppets, as a perfect case of projection lmfao

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
whos applying to eu this month?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1502038284653916160

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

holy poo poo if you switch around the letters of "putin invades ukraine", it spells "macron pour président"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

can't spell Russian without USS Iran

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
so i'm preparing a phd proposal on competing models of legitimacy and I discovered this interesting survey indicating that EU citizens have less faith in the EU than ever. Not exactly a big surprise, I hear you thinking, but its incredibly sneaky in how it presents its results. no where in the actual article do they show how the respondents indicated their faith in the eu. it's a perfect example of the horribly ideologically predisposed but mystified as rational and anti-ideological core of the 'ordoliberal' eu-project.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

oscarthewilde posted:

so i'm preparing a phd proposal on competing models of legitimacy and I discovered this interesting survey indicating that EU citizens have less faith in the EU than ever. Not exactly a big surprise, I hear you thinking, but its incredibly sneaky in how it presents its results. no where in the actual article do they show how the respondents indicated their faith in the eu. it's a perfect example of the horribly ideologically predisposed but mystified as rational and anti-ideological core of the 'ordoliberal' eu-project.
Extremely embarrassing graphs for us Danes further up the page. Biggest fans of both the UK and Biden.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i guess this indicates a decrease in faith for some countries, but the opposite for others:

but yea on a quick skim i dont see anything like what the headline claims

also this one is pretty wild, i guess this is pure "omg biden won" euphoria lol:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Extremely embarrassing graphs for us Danes further up the page. Biggest fans of both the UK and Biden.

:(:hf::(

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lol at Germans being unsatisfied with the EU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol at Germans being unsatisfied with the EU

tbf it doesn’t really say that either. It just shows that Covid wasn’t perceived primarily as an EU wide thing in Germany. Instead, the national health institutions dominated the issue.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Carthag Tuek posted:

also this one is pretty wild, i guess this is pure "omg biden won" euphoria lol:

tbh i'd expected a lot more faith in biden in NL. everyone except the crypto-fascist right hated trump, but immediately after biden won the entire dutch media-apparatus spent months presenting him as the new FDR and fawning over every little thing he did. guess it wasn't as effective as i'd assumed

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

oscarthewilde posted:

tbh i'd expected a lot more faith in biden in NL. everyone except the crypto-fascist right hated trump, but immediately after biden won the entire dutch media-apparatus spent months presenting him as the new FDR and fawning over every little thing he did. guess it wasn't as effective as i'd assumed
If the media convinced them he was a new FDR, then it's pretty understandable that the Dutch would consider the American system broken when he did jack poo poo.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Dutch media coverage of Biden was loving insane.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yea danish media was swooning too, it was like he was the second coming of obama (which tbf he p much is, except when obama was first elected, we didnt know how poo poo he was going to be yet)

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
In Spain, the coverage of trump went from "haha, look at this clown" to (serious voice) "Donald Trump, the Republican hopeful..." on a dime.

Literally the day he was nominated the entire media started giving him the most serious treatment. Completely forgot previous flood the mockery. And whatever horrible thing he did/said always got dealt with the same:

"Today president Trump gutted a live child on the WH lawn. Here are some historical examples of leaders murdering children while in office..."

Like, in my lifetime it has become clear to me that the Spanish media just never, ever paint the WH admin in anything but a positive light.

And I would be very surprised if it isn't the same in the rest of Europe. (It is, as someone who has lived in a bunch of places).

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
from my local experience pretty much 90% of the media is very succ but even worse is they're in that kinda eager way to be noticed by the big pants American media

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

from my local experience pretty much 90% of the media is very succ but even worse is they're in that kinda eager way to be noticed by the big pants American media

Yeah, basically this. No idea if that was always the case, but I think the Trump years just melted all journalist brains and they're now in the good war against disinfo, standing side by side with the NYT

genericnick has issued a correction as of 14:10 on Mar 26, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

genericnick posted:

Yeah, basically this. No idea if that was always the case, but I think the Trump years just melted all journalist brains and they're now in good war against disinfo, standing side by side with the NYT

Prob doesn't help I imagine they're at least as far along in journalism being completely taken over by neurotic failchildren

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/RottenInDenmark/status/1507686173002670091
https://twitter.com/RottenInDenmark/status/1507687534826037257

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

parochial, jingoistic decisions under the guise of progressivism is denmark's whole thing though. it's their cultural heritage. it's bigotry to criticise it.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

if that guy is an anglo-american i am sadly obliged by cultural mutual defence treaty to come to the defence even of countries for which i have naught but contempt. anglo go home

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/avecvous/status/1508798536997027849?cxt=HHwWkoCytdCRqvApAAAA

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/ElectsWorld/status/1511036495741734924

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I figured as much when sweden refused to lockdown and well, there we are. Scandies are so disappointing.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/TLDRNewsEU/status/1515688491404963842

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Offer not valid for Ukrainians (white). We're literally displacing Syrian refugees to make room for them. They're even allowed to work before acquiring residency permits now. I hope some of their relative privileges will somehow carry over to other refugee groups at some point, but it's doubtful that will happen without yet another ruling from the ECHR.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The middle eastern ones also had jewelry and other valuables confiscated. :thumbsup:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lorteland

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Ukranians will be treated like poo poo too, once they aren't in fashion.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So has the U.K. collapsed over Brexit yet, or was that all just hyped up by scared liberals?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So has the U.K. collapsed over Brexit yet, or was that all just hyped up by scared liberals?

Collapse no but they’re not doing super great either. Difficult to determine how much of the downturn is due to Brexit, the Pandemic, the world economy or the Tory government, though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it's pretty clear however that Britain isn't recovering nearly as well as the EU countries, and the only difference is brexit.

e:

https://obr.uk/box/the-latest-evidence-on-the-impact-of-brexit-on-uk-trade/

spankmeister has issued a correction as of 08:11 on Apr 22, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

why is the uk so unstable in the left graph, even pre-pandemic it's all over the place compared to the others

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

why is the uk so unstable in the left graph, even pre-pandemic it's all over the place compared to the others

well, the big drop in 2016 was probably due to the Brexit referendum, then in 2017 May invoked Article 50, and I imagine the next few drops before the pandemic were all Brexit related lmao

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh right, lol. lmao

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
starting a new job, it's a offshore Finnish operation, cause our labors cheaper than theirs ofc, and these mfers have gin in a can. Tastes like sprite and gives you more buzz than a beer

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

starting a new job, it's a offshore Finnish operation, cause our labors cheaper than theirs ofc, and these mfers have gin in a can. Tastes like sprite and gives you more buzz than a beer

Only literal 13-year-olds call a tentacle gin. (Because they see

GIN
long drink

on the can and think it's what gin is.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
it's a pretty short drink tho