Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I don’t own crypto and think blockchain is the dumbest poo poo imaginable. I have to tell idiots at work regularly for the last five years that no, we shouldn’t have anything to do blockchain and whatever they read is a scam. But even I think the constant Kickstarter and Van Ryder is evil because crypto/NFTs to be really tedious. It’s like atheism to me. The only thing more/as annoying than a zealot spouting stupid poo poo is an atheist getting hard for how much he hates religion with a group of people that don’t need to be convinced.

There’s plenty of other reasons to not support Kickstarter and pledge $1 as infinitum mentioned. Unless there’s something new/funny/frustrating to discuss about some other stupid company that is trying to fleece people with NFTs, it just feels like rehashing the same poo poo. As I’ve said in a previous post, jarofpiss and Prada are completely disingenuously trolling but that doesn’t mean that the thread isn’t off putting at times because of what feels like a combination of mandatory opinions and a troupe of trolls that would have long since been thread banned in any other forum.

Edit: I strongly agree with the post before mine despite my annoyance at hearing the same crypto conversation over and over again. Most people in this thread want to talk board games and not constantly have it be political debates on clearly settled issues we all agree with. It’s insane to me that in this forum a community can say, “here’s the views of 95%+ of us and rules we want to operate by” and a mod can just go “Lol, nah, decorum and polite discourse.” No forum here has really operated like that in 5-10 years.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Viper915 posted:

Hey is CoolStuffInc still ok? They're not in the third post which makes me wonder if something ugly came up about them. I was about to order something from them rather than miniature market to avoid the asmodee connection, and figured I'd look in the third post, expecting them to be listed.

They just don’t have as good a selection, prices, or customer service anymore. If you don’t want to use MM then Boardlandia, Gamenerdz, and a few other local places like Over the Brick are just better. There’s no clear issue with them that I’m aware of though other than not evolving with the times.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Funso Banjo posted:

Not heard of this. It looks fantastic. Thanks for the heads up, think I might jump on this.

How does late backing work, never done that before? Do you get the stretch goals etc?

The Pledge Manager for Robot Quest Arena isn't up yet.

Typically what happens with Late Backing is that a Pledge Manager (PM) will open at some point which will allow you to pledge post campaign.
Late backing typically gets you the exact same things you would get during the campaign.

The PM will be open for however long the campaign deems appropriate, at which point address will be locked down and cards will be charged.
For example I have had my Mind MGMT PM completed for a while, but they're not locking down until the end of this month.
A side benefit of PM only access is that you typically don't wear the upfront costs and can decide later if you want to actually back it.

Rounding back to your question - PM access for Robot Quest Arena will be bought via credits on the companies website. This 100% isn't the standard way of doing things, not that there's anything wrong with that in this instance as the money is going directly to the devs, but you're probably better off waiting until the PM is up and running as otherwise you're buying $30 worth of credit that's just sitting there -> and then have to pay the extra balance owing on top.

tl;dr wait until the PM is up. I'll make a post in the Crowdfunding thread when it goes live if you want to follow along. I'm working on the OP for the new thread and it'll be posted over the weekend. I typically post Cool Things I Think Goons Will Like over there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIdtOpebbFI

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Infinitum posted:

The Pledge Manager for Robot Quest Arena isn't up yet.

Typically what happens with Late Backing is that a Pledge Manager (PM) will open at some point which will allow you to pledge post campaign.
Late backing typically gets you the exact same things you would get during the campaign.

The PM will be open for however long the campaign deems appropriate, at which point address will be locked down and cards will be charged.
For example I have had my Mind MGMT PM completed for a while, but they're not locking down until the end of this month.
A side benefit of PM only access is that you typically don't wear the upfront costs and can decide later if you want to actually back it.

Rounding back to your question - PM access for Robot Quest Arena will be bought via credits on the companies website. This 100% isn't the standard way of doing things, not that there's anything wrong with that in this instance as the money is going directly to the devs, but you're probably better off waiting until the PM is up and running as otherwise you're buying $30 worth of credit that's just sitting there -> and then have to pay the extra balance owing on top.

tl;dr wait until the PM is up. I'll make a post in the Crowdfunding thread when it goes live if you want to follow along. I'm working on the OP for the new thread and it'll be posted over the weekend. I typically post Cool Things I Think Goons Will Like over there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIdtOpebbFI

I exclusively done PM access only for a while and it has definitely kept me from backing some bad games. You get to see all the stretch goals/updates/more info before you commit real money without the risk of not being able to pledge. Even though many games do Late Pledge or gamefound post KS, there are still some that don’t. Throwing out a buck is a nice low risk way to give yourself more time.

Larger Games not having PM access only are usually a red flag to me as well. If you have your poo poo together then PM access only just let’s you convert more people later and make more money. If you have an expensive pledge without PM access, that feels a lot more like a hard sell for something that doesn’t have poo poo together.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mr. Squishy posted:

I have played Merchants once, but it's concept is to add more scoring throughout the game, rather than have it be almost completely decided in the final auction. I've been thinking of picking it up, as that's something of a sticking point for a lot of players.
Keyflow is enjoyable, but very much a different game. Along with the art and theme (lol) they've kept a fair few mechanics (four seasons, the ability to use the villages of your nearest neighbours, upgrading tiles). It's also got the most useless insert I've seen - the box is subdivided into lots of square containers - you could probably individually house every wooden barrel, but there's no place to put the cards.

I think nothing tops the insert for Splendor that without fail, allows chips to fall out of their slots and does not fit sleeved cards. Bravo! (Yes it might be designed to be laid down but I refuse to acknowledge this.)

Close runner-up: a game I do not own, Lords of Waterdeep! Every time my friends open it (not often I loving hate that goddamn loving game goddamit) it's like watching a patented Dice Tower component dump.

I want to spend some time and make something half decent for Mega Civ so that I am not constantly fishing around for which cards and tokens to use but the variable set up makes that a bit tricky.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Lawlicaust posted:

I don’t own crypto and think blockchain is the dumbest poo poo imaginable. I have to tell idiots at work regularly for the last five years that no, we shouldn’t have anything to do blockchain and whatever they read is a scam. But even I think the constant Kickstarter and Van Ryder is evil because crypto/NFTs to be really tedious. It’s like atheism to me. The only thing more/as annoying than a zealot spouting stupid poo poo is an atheist getting hard for how much he hates religion with a group of people that don’t need to be convinced.

There’s plenty of other reasons to not support Kickstarter and pledge $1 as infinitum mentioned. Unless there’s something new/funny/frustrating to discuss about some other stupid company that is trying to fleece people with NFTs, it just feels like rehashing the same poo poo. As I’ve said in a previous post, jarofpiss and Prada are completely disingenuously trolling but that doesn’t mean that the thread isn’t off putting at times because of what feels like a combination of mandatory opinions and a troupe of trolls that would have long since been thread banned in any other forum.

Edit: I strongly agree with the post before mine despite my annoyance at hearing the same crypto conversation over and over again. Most people in this thread want to talk board games and not constantly have it be political debates on clearly settled issues we all agree with. It’s insane to me that in this forum a community can say, “here’s the views of 95%+ of us and rules we want to operate by” and a mod can just go “Lol, nah, decorum and polite discourse.” No forum here has really operated like that in 5-10 years.

So to be clear here, everything blew up this time because Prada said we have a “fatwa” on KS discussion and then JoP joined in essentially trolling for people thinking that statement was racist/inflammatory.

I get you find crypto discussions repetitive but it’s a forum, the discussion goes in circles all the time. I really get tired of 18XX chat but I don’t troll people for it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Crackbone posted:

So to be clear here, everything blew up this time because Prada said we have a “fatwa” on KS discussion and then JoP joined in essentially trolling for people thinking that statement was racist/inflammatory.

I get you find crypto discussions repetitive but it’s a forum, the discussion goes in circles all the time. I really get tired of 18XX chat but I don’t troll people for it.

Both of those posters/posts were probed two days ago. This is no longer a derail about crypto, it's a derail about how a few people think the modding is insufficient while a bunch of other posters desperately try to ignore and change the subject.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Guy A. Person posted:

Both of those posters/posts were probed two days ago. This is no longer a derail about crypto, it's a derail about how a few people think the modding is insufficient while a bunch of other posters desperately try to ignore and change the subject.

So you agree getting rid of the two people who continually get probed would remedy the situation?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Noone cares. Take it to QCS. loving talk about board games, jfc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNgr-ET0buQ&t=60s

I'd probably like to start sleeving some games, and I'm going to start with Ark Nova.

I don't know much about ~sleeves~
Are matte sleeves the way to go?

Does anyone have any recommendations? My only requirements are that they don't slide around on top of each other - the pack-in Merchants of the Dark Road sleeves left me with a bad taste in my mouth, when all the other components were solid.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Infinitum posted:

I got my first game of Dune: Imperium in over the weekend and had a blast. I've read some folks complain about how combat can be really swingy if you get specific Intrigue cards (and one combat was won by such trickery), but I thought that added a nice element of risk. On the whole I'd like to play more and see what different strategies are viable and how the different leaders play out.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Crackbone posted:

So you agree getting rid of the two people who continually get probed would remedy the situation?

I have to mod in the moment. I can't mod someone because they said something, it has to be something that is against the rules. It's been made extremely clear that these two will not be threadbanned anytime soon and the sooner people accept that, the easier it will be to move on.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

armorer posted:

I got my first game of Dune: Imperium in over the weekend and had a blast. I've read some folks complain about how combat can be really swingy if you get specific Intrigue cards (and one combat was won by such trickery), but I thought that added a nice element of risk. On the whole I'd like to play more and see what different strategies are viable and how the different leaders play out.

I'm interested in what the expansions bring to the table myself.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Crackbone posted:

Sure, I would be 100% fine with threadbanning them, as well as anyone contributing to the continuation of the derail, up to and including myself.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

armorer posted:

The whole drat game is swingy based on intrigue cards. I think it is very common in our games at 2 let alone 4 to see someone holding onto intrigues that are like, lol here's another VP or two because of this. Or here you go, you won this fight get another VP. I don't know if this just means you need to hop on the intrigue carousel yourself to try and defend against your opponent having access to them entirely but I admit I am not good at it (like most games*) and have only won maybe twice.

I would have grabbed the expansion if I hadn't heard it was so-so and that it's three quarters of the cost of the base game with little to show for it from my perspective but I didn't do the Rutibex weight/component-to-price ratio.

*Just re-read that and to be clear I was diminishing my own capability to win games.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 22, 2022

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Mayveena posted:

Yeah having only played one game so far I don't have a sense of what Rise of Ix adds / addresses. I've read that there's some really good stuff in there though, so if the game sees frequent play I imagine I'll end up getting it.

The game we played was 3 player, and one player took an early lead on points. I managed to keep my deck really slim by trashing a lot and had a relatively high concentration of faction cards. In the late game I was able to play that 5 troop spaceguild space on several turns which let me win some 2 victory point battles, so I managed to win in the end. The player that came in third was trying to go with a Dominion-esk points strategy, hoping to buy up a bunch of Spice must Flow cards for points, but it didn't work out. None of us had played before so we were all kinda just trying out random strategies.

^^^^^^Edit: It's swingy, but I think it's swingy in a way that forces you to engage with most of the gameplay elements. You can't completely ignore combat, intrigue cards, faction alliances, the market row, etc. And yet engaging with any of those things isn't necessarily going to win you points. It's a game you can definitely lose even if you play well, but I don't mind that so much really. The group I played it with are a laid back but pretty experienced group of wargamer. We've all lost big fights to poor die rolls countless times and kind of appreciate the drama that sort of thing generates.

armorer fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 22, 2022

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Infinitum posted:

Flipside, you can also put users on ignore.

Do you see how maybe "just ignore them, look at me how smart I am" doesn't solve the problem?

On an unrelated note, for fans of Dune I would also recommend Game of Thrones, which I will always stan. I've got an 8p game coming up a week from now, I always look forward to those. It is less sandboxy, which I get would be a turn-off for the average Dune fan, but the movement system has enough complexity to allow for fun epic multiple-round-spanning incursions. And the hand management aspect is possibly the besg part of the game.

Just like Napoleon failed to get Russia, you too can be the next fool to try to invade the Starks in the frozen north. You might succeed and (once the fighting is done) have claimed rich lands with a very minor lengthening of your front line, allowing you to recover your spent good hand cards, or you might fail, and be hopelessly overextended on bad supply, while the rest of the table picks your loving bones.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 22, 2022

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Oh and GoT has an extra benefit: with the expansion it can legitimately play any number between 5 and 8 decently. If someone cancels next weekend, I have the luxury of not caring (though I rly would like to play the full 8 person table one say)

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Infinitum posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Matte tend to be slightly less shifty in my experience. I'm a big fan of Ultra-Pro Eclipse, in either gloss or matte. Depends on the game.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 22, 2022

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Infinitum posted:

I'd probably like to start sleeving some games, and I'm going to start with Ark Nova.

Weird to pick a game with no armies to put in your sleevies.

Infinitum posted:

Gamegenic Matte sleeves have become my sleeve of choice recently. The shuffle feel is great, they tend not to slide all over the place when they’re in a stack, and they’re not super expensive relative to their quality. They do tend to make card art pop a bit less compared to gloss sleeves but it doesn’t bother me.

Ark Nova has standard MtG/Poker size cards so you also have the option of Gamegenic’s value pack which is 200 sleeves for ~$9 USD as opposed to $~13 for four 50ct packs (though you’ll need 255 card sleeves so you’re looking at two value packs or a value pack and two 50ct packs).

The comedy/quality option is Dragon Shields - I like their matte non-glare sleeves but they’re ~$11 for 100 so you’d be looking at $33 for 300 sleeves as opposed to ~$15-18 from Gamegenic.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Covenant guys I watch for LCG game streams push Katana sleeves that I rather like. I don't get really fancy with them though. Just the standard old clears. Also I sleeve basically any cards for any game I envision playing more than like twice.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Infinitum posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations? My only requirements are that they don't slide around on top of each other - the pack-in Merchants of the Dark Road sleeves left me with a bad taste in my mouth, when all the other components were solid.

KMC Perfect Fit for standard size cards because they fit tight and don't double the needed box space. Ultra Pro or Dragon shield or whatever are fine but they're way thicker and taller and makes cards harder to store. Only downside is that if the manufacturer is cheap and the tolerances are poo poo, the cards might be slightly hard to fit KMC's. 1000 are like $30 or so

I have matte dragon shields for games that I have a small hand I keep (e.g., Gloomhaven), KMC's for games I want sleeved but don't want to double the storage size or want to still fit in the box organizer (clank, rococo).

They'll slide until they wear a little bit though. All sleeves do. I have some cheap ultra pro deck boxes I can store cards in if needed. Makes it easy to hand people a deck box with their starting cards and pieces for Clank or whatever

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Has anyone seen prototypes of horseless carriage yet? Supposed to be out late this year :v:. I'm hoping they go back to Roads&Boats style, though I anticipate it'll look more like FCM with period-accurate art.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No, and I think I recall someone screaming on the BGG forums about how awful it is they by request opened preorders but haven't given any actual preview info.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If you think about, technically all cards come already sleeved until you remove the packaging.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

No, and I think I recall someone screaming on the BGG forums about how awful it is they by request opened preorders but haven't given any actual preview info.

I would pay more for R&B art, but would pay less if it was in that giant plank of a box.

FirstAidKite posted:

If you think about, technically all cards come already sleeved until you remove the packaging.

That's why I like to keep my games sealed and only play with friends' copies

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Always see people talking bout sleeving cards but I never see anyone talk about sleeving hexes, dice, tiles, counters, cubes, minis, and meeples. Smh

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Has anyone seen prototypes of horseless carriage yet? Supposed to be out late this year :v:. I'm hoping they go back to Roads&Boats style, though I anticipate it'll look more like FCM with period-accurate art.

It was at the Gathering. Candice Harris played it and really enjoyed it, said it reminded her a little of Automobile, one of my favorite games.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

FirstAidKite posted:

Always see people talking bout sleeving cards but I never see anyone talk about sleeving hexes, dice, tiles, counters, cubes, minis, and meeples. Smh

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

What, no face coverage?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

We played so many games of Resistance: Avalon that the images were worn off the cardboard bits. Went through several sets of sleeves for the cards.

For our second copy, we painted the cardboard bits with "mod podge puzzle saver". Result was much more durable, without changing appearance much.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

jmzero posted:

We played so many games of Resistance: Avalon that the images were worn off the cardboard bits. Went through several sets of sleeves for the cards.

For our second copy, we painted the cardboard bits with "mod podge puzzle saver". Result was much more durable, without changing appearance much.

We used up R:A as well, along with Arkham Horror and Battlestar Galactica. Except for Avalon, we replaced the tokens with stones and coins and other prop-ish bits.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

FirstAidKite posted:

If you don't use coin capsules on your copy of Arkham Horror LCG, you're missing out.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I also recommend matte sleeves, they have consistently felt much better to handle.

If you have patience and want non-matte, Paladin Sleeves to a big sale with decent prices every December. It's also one of few manufacturers that can be trivially obtained in Europe. Other brands can be found too, but they can be tricky (and I have been burned at least once looking for replacements of the same kind and suddenly they're not available at any webahop from my country).

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

FulsomFrank posted:

The whole drat game is swingy based on intrigue cards. I think it is very common in our games at 2 let alone 4 to see someone holding onto intrigues that are like, lol here's another VP or two because of this. Or here you go, you won this fight get another VP. I don't know if this just means you need to hop on the intrigue carousel yourself to try and defend against your opponent having access to them entirely but I admit I am not good at it (like most games) and have only won maybe twice.

I would have grabbed the expansion if I hadn't heard it was so-so and that it's three quarters of the cost of the base game with little to show for it from my perspective but I didn't do the Rutibex weight/component-to-price ratio.

If someone plays Dune and doesn't take part in the intrigue cards, they are going to lose. I've played the game a bit (as it's a favorite of the meet up i go to) and I have literally never seen anyone win without Intrigue cards. They sometimes make combat pointless because someone can have a clear win, then someone lays down 2 cards and you lose by a large margin , which makes your entire turn preparing for that combat useless. You did nothing worthwhile on your turn. They make me completely avoid the combat if i can, which the expansion makes possible to some degree with the new markets and tech building parts. The Intrigue cards are the worst part of the game.

I won the game once when i had 8 points going into the end games, and everyone else was 11-12 points, but i gained 7 points from Intrigue cards (i got 2 points with one card from the expansion that has 4 'milestones' to hit, and had 2 cards that give victory points if you have 2 Spice Must Flow cards with an additional point if you have the most Spice Must Flow cards) and tech. I spent a majority of the game mining the Intrigue Card deck, and just using some whether i needed to or not the moment I got over 4 of them.

I am kind of totally over Dune Imperium at this point, but i know some people love it, so more power to them

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

After Forbidden Stars went out of print I have debated protecting my copy my encapsulating all the carboard bits in coin cases, or having custom bits 3d printed. It's not on my short list of games my groups are playing right now so I haven't decided one way or another.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mayveena posted:

It was at the Gathering. Candice Harris played it and really enjoyed it, said it reminded her a little of Automobile, one of my favorite games.

I assume you mean Martin Wallace's Automobile? Because I always think of Automobiles when I hear the name. I follow a fair few Martin Wallace super fans and I never hear anyone talk about this one. I'd be curious to hear more.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

enigmahfc posted:

If someone plays Dune and doesn't take part in the intrigue cards, they are going to lose. I've played the game a bit (as it's a favorite of the meet up i go to) and I have literally never seen anyone win without Intrigue cards. They sometimes make combat pointless because someone can have a clear win, then someone lays down 2 cards and you lose by a large margin , which makes your entire turn preparing for that combat useless. You did nothing worthwhile on your turn. They make me completely avoid the combat if i can, which the expansion makes possible to some degree with the new markets and tech building parts. The Intrigue cards are the worst part of the game.

I won the game once when i had 8 points going into the end games, and everyone else was 11-12 points, but i gained 7 points from Intrigue cards (i got 2 points with one card from the expansion that has 4 'milestones' to hit, and had 2 cards that give victory points if you have 2 Spice Must Flow cards with an additional point if you have the most Spice Must Flow cards) and tech. I spent a majority of the game mining the Intrigue Card deck, and just using some whether i needed to or not the moment I got over 4 of them.

I am kind of totally over Dune Imperium at this point, but i know some people love it, so more power to them

You can't really ignore combat and win either though. I got 6 points from combat alone in this past game, 6 points from faction affiliations, and 2 points from an intrigue card that gives 2 points for having a factor score of at least 3 with all 4 factions. One of the other players had the Spice must Flow bonus point card you mention, which motivated his strategy I mentioned above, but he couldn't make it pay off. There appear to be a lot of ways to win, but it feels like you need to interact at least a little bit with everything to stand a chance.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
i did get 2 points from military: 1 point because everyone had their forces obliterated the previous turn and I had literally every troop and dreadnaught in my garrison, so why not; and the other point was from an intrigue card where i got a point for losing troops during battle, so i shoved some unwilling guys out the door to die.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

I assume you mean Martin Wallace's Automobile? Because I always think of Automobiles when I hear the name. I follow a fair few Martin Wallace super fans and I never hear anyone talk about this one. I'd be curious to hear more.

Automobile by Martin Wallace. It's a fun game but it needs five players to shine and I rarely have that. There's a ton of reviews on that page (came out before the YT craze) I'd suggest reading those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Mayveena posted:

I found Ix to be an interesting expansion, because every element of it sounds pretty meh, but to me, it's greater than the sum of its parts. The dreadnaughts, the shipping track, and the tech tiles all add a bit of overhead for minor changes, but they work together to open the board up.

In the base game I found it had an issue where you were basically cycling through different currencies to get what you needed; water to get spice, spice to get money, money to get the swordmaster and/or high council seat, then just stick with spice for heighliners. This had the dual frustrations of getting stuck behind people in those cycles for the action spots, and that a good number of spots were useless without those currencies. With the expansion spice no longer buys money, with money now primarily coming from the shipping track. Spice can be spent on tech tiles, and money on dreadnaughts, which give you additional uses for those currencies. Dreads may sound a bit crap with only being 3 strength instead of 2, but their immortality means you can use them in the early game to wander into every fight for the lower level rewards.

Combined with the epic game mode which makes the game go a little longer and gives you a starting trash card to make trashing more viable, I find you have more options and more strategies to pursue. But if you liked how constrained the worker placement was before, the expansion will make the board feel more open even with the same number of spaces.