Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

jng2058 posted:

You wanna get meta with it, then this old chestnut is still apropo: Hired Goons

Obviously go for the fancier version, Hayard-Gunnes. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

jng2058 posted:

Otherwise, how about Wolf Pack in red and black, reversing the old Dragoon colors. Red where they were black, black where they were red. We remember the history, but we're a new thing.

Payment in Silver with a silver all over scheme with red and black highlights, if you want to do the exact opposite and piss what's left of the Dragoons all the way off.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Cooked Auto posted:

That was the famous freelance aerospace outfit back on old Terra, it could show an appreciation for history and imply experience where none exists. Both good things! Marketing, baby!

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
I'm jamming together two of the suggestions I liked upthread

Company Name: A Fierce Delivery

Colors: Yellow on black, tertiary blue or green

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Metallics are things I can emulate in sprites to some extent but solid colors are easier.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cooked Auto posted:

This please

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

Are there other actions besides Train/Deploy for pilots to take? ('m sorta trying to figure out what the hard worker spa is FOR/what you can do with it.)

Pilots have to rest when they're out of actions, which means they have to skip going on a mission. That means, three missions from now, if you haven't hired enough warriors to rest in shifts (or rest everyone at once) it's a mandatory double downtime which will charge you upkeep twice while everyone rests.

Hard Worker takes them from three actions to four, which means they can go on an extra mission or do more training before they're forced to rest.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Yellow on black looks great also, voting for that.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Cooked Auto posted:

One more for the classic

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cooked Auto posted:

I unironically love this.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

in the interest of testing out that alternate lance layout mentioned:

quote:

Lance 1
- Unit 1: Black Knight
- Warrior: Ironsides
- Unit 2: Shadow Hawk
- Warrior: Cherry Bomb
- Unit 3: Firestarter
- Warrior: Shotel
- Unit 4: Valkyrie
- Warrior: Bugbear

Lance 2
- Unit 1: Stormwolf
- Warrior: Awoo
- Unit 2: Wolfhound
- Warrior: Funnelweb
- Unit 3: Vindicator
- Warrior: High Voltage
- Unit 4: Locust #1
- Warrior: Weasel

Lance 3
- Unit 1: Trebuchet
- Warrior: Taboo
- Unit 2: Jackalope #1
- Warrior: Indiana
- Unit 3: Jackalope #2
- Warrior: Drake
- Unit 4: Razorback
- Warrior: Chilli

This should give us the two striker lances mentioned, one with more armor and one with more long range capability (key word should, quick start guide isn't the clearest on special skills/lance setup stuff, apologies if I've gotten it wrong). Agree on leaving Frost out for training, since it's basically the same cost to get them to skill 3 as get one of the skill 3s training on heavies, and we should try and keep the skill 3s in rotation if we can.

To match our prior company name, I will also support a yellow/black color scheme, and will suggest the new name of Honigtodeslied, as being in general keeping with how mercenaries toughen up their names.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I would suggest something like Hayard-Gunnes Company rather than just Hayard-Gunnes. I was going to suggest "Hayard-Gunnes Free Company" which sounds slightly merc-ier, but, um, mixed signals. Or maybe it can be a double pun? Our company (ie, showing up to the party) is free, but the guns'll cost you?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hard Worker takes them from three actions to four, which means they can go on an extra mission or do more training before they're forced to rest.

Interesting! Thanks for the explanation. Thats sorta neat. I didn't think that was an extra administrative action, but i wasn't sure! just out of curiosity, how much does it cost? nm i can read

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 22, 2022

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Company Colors: Lime Green (Primary), Purple (Secondary), Black (Tertiary)
Company Name: Unfortunate Consequences

And yes, before anyone says anything, I did in fact choose the same colors as the OG series Constructicons.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Warriors Training
- Orion “Frost” Richelieu

I’m having Orion sit out and train since they’re the only other Mechwarrior who can handle the Black Knight and getting them a little XP should be helpful in the long term.

Train: Idonea and Orion. Both can handle heavy mechs! Idonea is skill 3, too...

Major Downtime Action: Scavenge. We came here to trade, lets trade! Lets get ahead of the maintainance upkeep - we're so close.
Minor ask - if we roll well enough to generate salvage, can we get a personel roll instead? Basically trade for Connections instead of Stuff.

Other:

Price out the wolfhound for sale and see how much we can get for it on this planet. (thanks for the good reputation tip!). Replace it with the Watchman(rugged!) (unless its broken? I'm not sure I'm reading that right. if so, whats the cost to fix it?)

Lance wise..
any of the other lists, with the above swaps?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Cooked Auto posted:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

jng2058 posted:

reversing the old Dragoon colors

So Kell Hounds colors

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Rorahusky posted:

Company Colors: Lime Green (Primary), Purple (Secondary), Black (Tertiary)

And yes, before anyone says anything, I did in fact choose the same colors as the OG series Constructicons.

Voting for this

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

Train: Idonea and Orion. Both can handle heavy mechs! Idonea is skill 3, too...

You need 12 warriors reserved for combat unless you're talking about intentionally leaving one behind and deploying with less than a full company. That's doable, by the way, you'd just want to submit an action plan for it.

They warriors who are reserved for combat are too busy to train. They're performing readiness drills or (re)familiarizing themselves with 'Mechs they may not have piloted in a while, or ever.

TheParadigm posted:

Major Downtime Action: Scavenge. We came here to trade, lets trade! Lets get ahead of the maintainance upkeep - we're so close.
Minor ask - if we roll well enough to generate salvage, can we get a personel roll instead? Basically trade for Connections instead of Stuff.

If you're wanting to suggest recruitment and something to boost income, you could always submit an action plan that has the company run combat drills. It's risky but if you can hire enough warriors to let six of yours rest it could pay off big time. There's a strong argument to be made for doing this since it's a combination of recruitment and searching for better contracts that also gives a chance to hire staff.

quote:

Replace it with the Watchman(rugged!) (unless its broken? I'm not sure I'm reading that right. if so, whats the cost to fix it?)

The Watchman is in your salvage catalogue, it means you should be able to assemble one and doing so costs Size+1 salvage, so 3 salvage, of which you do have enough. But if you use up all of your salvage that means you don't have any available for emergency repairs, and your entire catalogue (just the spare Jackrabbit in this case) gets blanked.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 22, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Company Name: Wolf's Dragons
Company Colors: Whatever Wolf's Dragoons colors are

I'm sure someone will fall for it :v:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Cooked Auto posted:

Hayard-Gunnes Incorporated

Incorporated makes it fancier

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

AtomikKrab posted:

Sure

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you're wanting to suggest recruitment and something to boost income, you could always submit an action plan that has the company run combat drills. It's risky but if you can hire enough warriors to let six of yours rest it could pay off big time. There's a strong argument to be made for doing this since it's a combination of recruitment and searching for better contracts that also gives a chance to hire staff.
Action Plan

Major Downtime Action
- Combat Drills

Warriors Training
- Orion “Frost” Richelieu

Risky, but I think it'll be worth it.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 22, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
A note on the tasks that say they could "exhaust" warriors: They have a 50/50 chance of filling in one of that warrior's available 'effort bubbles.' It's not going to force them to rest immediately or anything like that.

Statistically, you're still going to come out ahead with the improved contracts alone but it could gently caress you over.

I decided New Earth probably has a decent number of soldiers abandoning the Republic (or its splinter factions) so you're probably going to get a solid number of potential recruits the first time you try; but the more recruiting you do on one planet the worse your prospects will get.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

AtomikKrab posted:

Hayard-gunnes inc sounds pretty good

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Downtime 1-2

Suggestions are tapering off, so let's get right into it.

The three suggested action plans were Sample Plan, Dual Cavalry Lances, and Combat Drills

Action Plan Vote

Unit Name Vote (Vote for your top 3)
The color vote needs a Tiebreaker

Unit Color Vote (Vote for your top 2)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 23, 2022

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe
I bought the Hayard Gunnes shirt from the Strike Commander CMANO thread and I'd drat sure buy a Hayard Gunnes Inc shirt from this thread

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Holy smokes the poll links are so much nicer than voting in thread

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm honestly surprised how much votes my Monty Python joke name is getting

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Thanks to the folks that voted for my suggestion :)

I can't wait to see what shenanigans goon company get up to in the former ROTS

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Too bad I missed the first vote, or you KNOW I would have tipped the scale in the Clanners favor.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YsiYNJFyQQ

It's finally happening, more Tex talks Battletech. :dance:
Episode goes live later today.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Did some quick mock-ups for the top three colors (as of 5am on 4/23)

As always, I reserve the right to tweak things to make sure the players can tell their 'Mechs apart; so there's a good chance I may swap primary/secondary colors to keep things visually appealing.

So there's a good chance you may actually be voting for something like this:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 23, 2022

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
They are thematic in that they are very... 80s, just like battlemech

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Did some quick mock-ups for the top three colors (as of 5am on 4/23)

As always, I reserve the right to tweak things to make sure the players can tell their 'Mechs apart; so there's a good chance I may swap primary/secondary colors to keep things visually appealing.

So there's a good chance you may actually be voting for something like this:

That wasp coloring is loving siiiiick

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Vaporwave V2 looks incredible, hoping that goes forward!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Right now Vaporwave is tied with Devastator with Bumblebee in a distant-but-still-competitive third.

It looks like pretty much everyone would be happy if any of those three won, so if I need to do a tiebreaker vote I will.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 23, 2022

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

These are perfect. Either of these! Both of these!?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Right now Vaporwave is tied with Devastator with Bumblebee in a distant-but-still-competitive third.

It looks like pretty much everyone would be happy if any of those three won, so if I need to do a tiebreaker vote I will.

If there's a the wasp should win. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
the only wrong way to paint a mech is such that they can't see you coming, and even that has its benefits.