Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Most Recent Battle Starts: Downtime 5-1
Most Recent Update: Downtime 5-1

The Inner Sphere, ca. 3151, is a mess. The Lyran Commonwealth has been battered but remains unbroken. The Wolves have taken Terra and declared themselves the ilClan. The Draconis Combine has taken New Avalon, the capitol of the Federated Suns. What few lingering ComStar assets remained after their destruction by the Republic of the Sphere in 3141 have been bought out by Clan Sea Fox. The Free Worlds League is struggling to claw its way back to relevance after dissolving in the wake of the Word of Blake Jihad. Clan Jade Falcon exists, but only in name. The Capellan Confederation is at the apex of its power. Clan Smoke Jaguar has clawed its way out of the grave. The Republic of the Sphere is no more.

The availability of BattleMechs is at an all-time low, while demand for mercenaries as at an all-time high. That’s where we come in. There are more dispossessed Mechwarriors than every before, and many are more than willing to sign on with a mercenary company for a chance to pilot a ‘Mech again, even if they don’t own that ‘Mech.

What is Alpha Strike?
Alpha Strike is a BattleTech sub-game. It’s essentially a major overhaul of the old BattleForce rules, which were originally designed for combats between large units. We’ll usually be operating at a slightly smaller scale because there’s a hard limit to how large I can make my maps. Alpha Strike is, in essence, a simplified version of BattleTech’s rules that trades crunch for game balance but sacrifices some of Classic BattleTech’s flavor to do it. This LP is going to bring some of that flavor back in in the form of out-of-combat management mechanics. Rather than juggling which weapons to fire each turn, the greater emphasis is on which units and warriors to bring to a fight, which to train, and which need some downtime to rest or repair.

In other words, the management of the mercenary company is up to the thread’s readers and the probably-benevolent GM has absolutely no say in what you choose to do or not do. I may offer suggestions from time to time, but I will absolutely let you lawn dart this mercenary company straight into the ground. :haw:

General Thread Rules:
Questions are Welcome!:
If you have a question, need some advice, or need a little extra time please don't hesitate to ask!

Voting & Civility:
Keep things civil and please don’t whine if your first choice doesn’t get picked. I’ll be using StrawPoll to handle most votes this time around, so if you’re having trouble making a decision you might want to wait to see what the thread thinks about an option.

Combat Order Deadlines:
I need combat orders by Noon MST on Saturday and Wednesday. I’m pretty sick of begging for orders, so I won’t be doing that this time around. If your orders aren’t in, your lance won’t be doing anything that turn.

Rules Discussion:
General discussion of core game mechanics is OK. Referencing page numbers in rulebooks is also OK.

Official Lore Discussion:
Is fine, BattleTech is a very lore-heavy game, but this is a game thread first and foremost. Discussing spoilers or recent product releases is all fine, within reason.

How will this work?
The LP will essentially be broken into two phases: Combat and Downtime. Combat is obvious, it’s the duration of a mission in the field as played by selected volunteers. Since the number of volunteers will probably vastly outpace my ability to call them up, I can’t guarantee everyone will get a chance to play in a combat phase.

Fortunately, we have Downtime to help compensate. Downtime happens between combats, during which the average mercenary company has to secure another contract, organize its training schedule, perform maintenance on its ‘Mechs and vehicles, or even travel to new planets. Downtime could last anywhere from a day to a few months but will usually be a few weeks—enough time for ‘Mechs to receive maintenance. If the downtime is long enough, the thread may be offered a double-downtime. You will also usually be able to choose to take a downtime instead of a contract if your forces get particularly battered or worn out—just be sure you have enough funds to handle the upkeep.

What do I need to do to play in a Combat Turn?
If you’d like to participate in the thread, you don’t need to do anything. If you’d like to participate in the combat missions, you’ll need forums PMs. I won’t be doing e-mail this time around, it’s just too much of a chore to keep multiple formatting documents while trying to keep track of who’s who. Even with a reduced number of players, PMs is just easier for me.

How do I sign up?
Send me a PM and I’ll add you to the list in the order the PMs are received.

How do I suggest an action plan during downtime?
Post it in the thread. I’ll let you know what an Action Plan needs in a bit.

Where are the pilot headshots from?
Various places, most of which were unfortunately unsourced when I found them. If I’m using a piece of your art and you’d like it removed or properly credited, please let me know!

Where's your Patreon?
Here.

How is Alpha Strike actually played?
Fortunately, the Alpha Strike Quick Start Rules cover most of the basics. I’ll handle anything more complex as needed. As Alpha Strike was originally designed to be played without the usual BattleTech hex maps, I’ll be converting everything to hexes. As a general rule, that means every unit’s movement value(s) will be cut in half.

How do I see ‘Mechs?
Alpha Strike’s Master Unit List is available for free.

How do I read an Alpha Strike Unit Card?
I’ll go over this specifically, for the sake of the people who might not be interested in playing but do what to understand what each unit actually does.

Here we have a Hammerhead. At a glance we can see it’s a BattleMech (Type: BM), its weight class is Medium (Size: 2), with light ‘Mechs being Size 1, Heavies being Size 3, and Assaults being Size 4. A ‘Mech’s size also shows how much damage it does in melee combat. The Hammerhead is relatively slow so it can only move up to 5 hexes each turn and its Target Movement Modifier (TMM) is only a +1. It does not have Jump Jets, if it did its movement would be followed by a ‘J.’ TMM is the Hammerhead’s base defense against enemy attacks, high numbers are always better than low numbers.

It does 3 damage at short range, 3 damage at medium range, and 2 damage at long range. In Alpha Strike, ranges are fixed and so short, medium, and long correspond to 1-3 hexes, 4-12 hexes, and 13-24 hexes respectively. The Hammerhead has an Overheat Value (OV) of 0, so it isn’t able to boost its own damage at the cost of heat. As such, the Hammerhead is heat neutral and only needs to worry about the Heat Scale if it takes critical damage. If it did have an OV score, the Hammerhead would be able to boost its Short or Medium range damage by up to its OV value, at the cost of +1 heat per OV value. Heat adds a penalty to the ‘Mech’s next turn, so it can be worth overheating on an easy shot to eliminate an enemy quickly. If a ‘Mech overheats, it shuts down. While shut down it is incapable of acting in any way on its next turn and is highly vulnerable to enemy attacks.

The Hammerhead has an incredible eight points of armor thanks to its hardened armor, but because it’s using advanced construction materials it has reduced structure making it quite fragile if it loses its armor in combat. This is one of the chief balancing factors for Clan ‘Mechs: the advanced armor, structure, and XL engines they use make them more fragile in Alpha Strike. The Hammerhead also has two special rules: CASE makes it immune to an ammo explosion crit, and CR is ‘Critical Resistance’ which effectively makes it immune to the ‘unit destroyed’ critical hit. In short, the Hammerhead is very difficult to kill through any means other than raw damage.

It’s also a Skirmisher, which affects what sort of lance type it contributes towards. Having a lance with enough ‘Mechs of the same role (generally “more than half” so 3/4ths of each lance or 3/5ths of each Star) will allow the players to field a specialty lance that could give certain members of that lance Special Pilot Abilities for free. In this case, if 3/4ths of the ‘Mechs in the same lance as the Hammerhead are also Skirmishers, they become a Pursuit Lance (or one of the variants thereof) and 3/4ths of the units in that lance gain the Blood Stalkers special ability for free.

You probably also noticed that Skill is blank. Skill roughly translates to gunnery in Classic BattleTech, and as with classic BattleTech, lower numbers are better. Skill is determined by the pilot and I personally feel that Alpha Strike, like Classic BattleTech, is at its best when Skill is limited to about 3 (a good pilot) or 4 (an average pilot). As such, access to Skill 2 or better pilots will be heavily restricted.

I will be making my own version of the unit cards so I can squeeze unit and warrior information into one place for the players, but the relevant information will be the same.

How do I read a warrior card?
So, this is somewhat unique to this LP. It’s my own take on the Mechwarrior cards that came out with the recent kickstarter releases. Your warriors (Mechwarriors, Team Leaders, Pilots, and Vehicle Commanders) are not permanently assigned to a unit but can instead be assigned to pilot any valid unit as the situation warrants. As warriors grow more (or less) specialized, they may fall into certain roles more easily, such as fire support or scouting.

Our example warrior is Mordecai Kidd, who’s quite capable at Skill 3. He’s a Mechwarrior, allowing him to pilot BattleMechs. His only size preference is Size 2 (Medium ‘Mechs), which means if he’s forced to pilot a ‘Mech of a different weight class he is effectively 1 skill worse (Skill 4). Fortunately, cross-training into different ‘Mech classes is relatively inexpensive. Mordecai also has a ‘Mech Specialization, that means he performs exceptionally well in the Hammerhead and is effectively Skill 2 while piloting one. A pilot can only specialize in one ‘Mech at a time, but the specialization can be changed for a hefty XP cost.

Mordecai currently has 0 stored XP, but has spent 7 XP on three Special Pilot Abilities or SPAs. As Mordecai doesn’t have the Hard Worker SPA, one of his potential available actions is grayed out. That means he has 2 safe actions and one reserved action. A pilot will always reserve their last action (yellow bubble on the sheet) for combat unless explicitly ordered to train and will automatically rest if the yellow bubble is the only action remaining. A pilot with no actions left will rest automatically.

Background and tags are there for my benefit. As a reactive, petty, and competitive academy graduate from the Federated Suns, Mordecai is likely to pick fights with mercenaries from the Draconis Combine or Capellan Confederation if he’s forced to train alongside them, especially if they’re also ex-military. This could generate a random event during downtime.

Vehicles, ‘Mechs, and Aerospace Fighters
Mechwarriors control BattleMechs, Vehicle Commanders control vehicles, Squad Leaders command infantry or Battle Armor, and Pilots control AeroSpace Fighters respectively. No one can control a unit they haven’t trained for, so a BattleMech can’t be deployed with a Vehicle Commander at the controls. ‘Mechs, Vehicles, and Fighters all bring different things to the table, and have some unique advantages and disadvantages:

BattleMechs are the standard combat unit, the core of the game. When a ‘Mech is destroyed it will always generate salvage, and if a player ‘Mech is destroyed it will (almost) always enter the Company Catalogue so it can be rebuilt. Each BattleMech takes up a single Mechbay, unless they have the Compact ‘Mech quirk.

Vehicles are either front line combat units like ‘Mechs or field support units. They drop salvage rarely and, except for rare exceptions, can’t be rebuilt from salvage when destroyed. Unlike ‘Mechs, vehicles are always purchased in pairs (although they don’t need to be deployed together). As long as at least one half of a vehicle pair is functional, the company’s technical crew can get the other vehicle operational again… eventually. Vehicles include their crews as part of their upkeep costs, so Vehicles are the only unit that can be deployed without a warrior. A vehicle without a Vehicle Commander deploys at Skill 5 and may generate a rookie Vehicle Commander at the end of combat if it survives and performs well. Two vehicles can be stored in each ‘Mechbay, which are automatically modified for that purpose. Vehicle bays can only store one vehicle each.

AeroSpace Fighters are support units, which grant limited air support options during combat missions. AeroSpace Fighters deployed during combat can either strafe the enemy or deliver either a dive-bombing or level bombing attack. Lighter fighters can typically make more strafing runs and more responsive dive-bombing attacks, while heavier fighters can carry larger bomb payloads for level bombing.

Infantry and Battle Armor are support and defensive ambush units. They can capture and hold mission objectives or defend objectives from enemy infantry; but they are very fragile and typically aren’t especially dangerous. Infantry and Battle Armor will be deployed as bonus units in addition to standard unit deployment, but are typically only deployable in missions where they’re actually necessary. BattleArmor takes up a ‘Mechbay and must be purchased the same as vehicles, while infantry platoons do not take up normal space. The DropShip carries three platoons of conventional infantry as part of its typical upkeep costs, and more can only be deployed if they’re temporarily hired from a world’s inhabitants. Like vehicles, infantry can also be deployed without a Team Leader and function at skill 5.

Command Staff
As the mercenary company grows, you will be allowed to hire Command Staff at the cost of barter or salvage. Having any command staff beyond the initial commander costs the company 1 additional upkeep per downtime per ‘department’ staffed; but any amount of command staff may be hired into that department at no additional upkeep cost.

Staff positions come in two types: unique and non-unique. Hiring a new chief technician when you already have a chief technician will replace your current chief technician with the new one but hiring an extra Astech just gets you an extra Astech.

The current departments are:
- Command Support (Executive Officer, Medical Officer, Contract Negotiator, Company Attorney)
- Logistics Support (Logistics Officer, Chief Recruiter, Clerks)
- Technical Support (Chief Technician, Astechs)

And I’ll add more if anything comes up. Or if I decide to make Medical its own thing.

Downtime
Downtime happens outside of combat, and it’s when the thread gets to manage the mercenary company directly. Thread readers can present (or vote on a presented) action plan for the company’s downtime activities. These action plans will detail who’s training and who’s being reserved for the next combat mission, what ‘Mechs are being repaired and how, which ‘Mechs and vehicles are being prepared for the next combat mission (if the company has more than 12), and what ‘downtime action’ the company as a whole is taking.

Downtime Actions
Each downtime, the mercenary company can perform a single downtime action. This generally corresponds to what the command crew is doing for the duration of the downtime, but may be an all-hands-on-deck activity for the company as a whole. Downtime actions generally don’t generate pilot exhaustion, the exceptions will be noted and are typically more powerful than standard downtime actions. The sorts of actions that can be taken during downtime include, but aren’t limited to:

- Negotiate for better mercenary contracts
- Purchase additional BattleMechs, Vehicles, AeroSpace Fighters, and Infantry
- Recruit additional Mechwarriors, Vehicle Commanders, Pilots, and Team Leaders
- Hire additional command staff
- Gossip about off-world news to find planets that are likely to have valuable mercenary contracts
- Travel to a new planet
- Logistics Support to reduce the company’s upkeep cost
- Scavenge and Trade for additional barter or potentially even random salvage, at the cost of randomly exhausting some warriors
- Company Overhaul to perform emergency repairs at the cost of randomly exhausting some warriors
- Combat Drills to show off to the locals, making better mercenary contracts available and recruiting additional warriors and Command Staff at the cost of randomly exhausting some warriors.
- Company R&R to take a second downtime immediately.
- Lay Low to avoid attention

Some actions also happen automatically during downtime, and don’t expend the company’s downtime action. These actions include:

- Normal repairs
- Field Refit repairs (consumes salvage)
- Warrior training
- Warrior resting
- Random events
- Firing warriors
- Paying upkeep costs

A note on repairs: As long as the company pays their upkeep cost in barter, damaged units are automatically repaired during downtime. Damaged units recover their armor first, then their structure and any critical damage. This means that if a unit loses all of its armor and takes structure damage, it will take two sessions of downtime to fully repair. The Company Overhaul downtime action will repair all damaged armor and structure on all of the company’s ‘Mechs at no additional salvage or upkeep cost, but may exhaust the company’s warriors as they assist the technicians in bringing the combat units back online. Otherwise, salvage can be expended to Field Refit a badly damaged ‘Mech during downtime to fully repair it in a single downtime.

Certain unit quirks can also modify how a unit repairs. A unit with Easy to Maintain repairs any critical hits when it repairs armor, while a unit with Ubiquitous repairs all of its damage at the same time without costing any salvage. A unit with the Difficult to Maintain negative quirk may only have its structure and critical damage repaired at the cost of salvage.

Training
Combat is hectic and dangerous and not a good place to learn what you’re doing. Warriors do not usually gain experience for actual combat, with one exception: at the end of every mission, one member of each lance will be voted an MVP to help each player see which ‘Mech they’ve done particularly well with. At the end of every combat, each Lance MVP will gain 1 experience point.

The only practical way to gain experience is through training. As a general rule, warriors who don’t get selected to go on a mission will train if they’re fresh, rest if they’re down to their last safe action, and train if they’re down to their final action. In other words, they will always reserve one ‘white’ bubble for a combat mission unless an action plan specifically orders them to train instead.

Experience can be spent on the following:
- Skill Training: Skill 5 to Skill 4 costs 1 xp, Skill 4 to Skill 3 costs 4 xp
- Class Training: 1 xp/size, so a Heavy ‘Mech requires 3 xp while training for light ‘Mechs only costs 1.
- Mech Specialization: 5 xp, and the pilot must run a combat mission in the ‘Mech they’re trying to specialize in. This is not retroactive, once they have their 5 xp they can try to specialize.
- Special Pilot Abilities: Cost varies, typically 1-4 xp

Barter & Salvage
The C-Bill’s collapse has left the Inner Sphere devoid of a central currency. While the Great Houses survive on their own internal currencies (colloquially known as H-Bills), mercenaries can’t rely on house script unless they’re willing to get tied down to a single nation and turned into a house unit in all but name. As such, wandering mercenaries are primarily focused on two things: Barter and Salvage.

Barter represents material goods and can be anything from medium lasers, heat sinks and ‘Mech armor to consumer goods, precious metals or gems, H-Bills, Sea Fox IOUs, or even farm equipment. If it has an intrinsic value and can be traded to someone for something the mercenary unit needs, they’ll accept it as barter. The primary method of gaining barter is by completing mercenary contracts, although some optional objectives or vote results may also grant small amounts of barter. Barter is expended during downtime for mercenary upkeep.

The following add to the unit’s upkeep costs:
- 1 barter per every 4 Mech or Vehicle Bays occupied by at least one combat unit
- 1 barter per every 2 AeroSpace Fighter Bays occupied by at least one combat unit
- 1 barter per every 12 warriors
- Travel to a new planet costs a variable amount of barter, typically anywhere from 1-6.
- Hiring a new member of the command staff costs a variable amount of barter, typically anywhere from 1-3
- Deploying infantry beyond the DropShip’s normal 3 platoon compliment costs 1 barter per extra platoon as they have to be hired from local sources
- Random events may also consume barter

A note on upkeep: since upkeep is tracked by Mechbay usage, quirks that allow you to squeeze more units into a single Mechbay (such as the Compact ‘Mech quirk) can be surprisingly useful. Likewise, the Rugged quirk reduces a unit’s overall upkeep cost. A unit with 1 level of rugged like the Vindicator counts as 1/2 of an occupied Mechbay (rounding up), while a unit with 2 levels of rugged (like the Thunderbolt) count as an empty Mechbay for upkeep purposes.

Barter can also be spent to:
- Buy new units after a Purchase downtime action
- Hire new Command Staff

Salvage represents repairable pieces of damaged or destroyed ‘Mechs or vehicles. Salvage can be used to quickly repair damaged ‘Mechs, or it can be assembled into working ‘Mechs. Salvage does not consume space unless the mercenary company travels, but during travel salvage consumes space in the ‘Mech or vehicle bays and any excess salvage will be automatically traded for barter before transit. Each empty ‘Mech or vehicle bay can store up to 3 pieces of salvage. When salvage is gained from any source, it may add a new ‘mech to the company’s Repair Catalogue. Vehicles will almost never be buildable with salvage and typically must be purchased with barter.

Salvage can be used for the following
- 1 salvage to Field Refit a damaged ‘Mech and fully repair it after a battle
- 1 + [Size] salvage to build a ‘Mech in the Repair Catalogue, expending Salvage
- [Size] salvage to upgrade a ‘Mech to a more advanced version, if any are available.
- 1 salvage to add a new OmniMech variant

A note on upgrading units: Upgrades can be suggested during any action plan, but a ‘Mech may only be upgraded if the suggestion would be of material benefit (typically: an increase in damage, armor, or mobility). For example: you could upgrade a WSP-1A Wasp into a WSP-1D Wasp, since that would be an increase in damage; but the company couldn’t upgrade a WSP-1A into a WSP-3M because it would be a functional downgrade despite the WSP-3M being a more advanced unit. Only armor is a consideration, a unit that trades structure for a bigger engine to add speed is still an upgrade.

Current House Rules:
Poptarts Always Loses Initiative for the sake of my sanity post schedule. Players will see (almost) all of my movement in advance and be able to react to it accordingly before shots are fired.

Ace Pilots Ace pilots are the exception to me always losing initiative. An Ace always wins initiative, and moves after the players do. Ace pilots may appear in any combat, but may not appear in every combat.

SPA: Tactical Genius - A unit piloted by a Tactical Genius counts as meeting any requirement to confirm to a lance type, regardless of its actual type. Want to put an Atlas in a recon lance? Hire or train a tactical genius.

SPA: Combat Intuition A unit with Combat Intuition applies its damage to the target immediately rather than simultaneously, and can eliminate targets before they can fire, but also attacks before other player units.

SPA: Terrain Master: Forest is being nerfed. It now reduces the penalty for firing at targets protected by woods, it does not grant a bonus to the cover provided by woods or reduce the movement cost of woods. Terrain Master: Forest was low-key the most broken Pilot Trait in Alpha Strike. The original could cost twice as much and would still be one of the best skills in the game.

SPA: Hard Worker is a 2 point SPA that gives a pilot an extra action, allowing them to act one additional time before they’re forced to rest.

SPA: Multi-Tasker is normally only useful for splitting one of your normal attack values in half and applying that damage to two different targets (so, if you've got a medium range attack value of 4 you could do 2 damage to Locust #1 and 2 damage to Locust #2 instead). Instead of using your split value, you can opt instead to substitute an alternate attack for one of those values. For example, the TBT-7M Trebuchet can opt to make either a normal attack with a 3/3/2 value or an LRM attack with a 1/1/1 damage value. This is important because some SPAs only work if you are attacking exclusively with a FLK/LRM/SRM/etc weapon. In this scenario, a Trebuchet with Multi-Tasker can split its attack into a normal attack and an LRM specialty attack to take advantage of those SPAs, but both attacks would still need to be made against different targets.

SPA: Salvager is a semi-unique SPA, the possessor gains an extra piece of generic salvage the first time they recover field salvage. They effectively get 1 random salvage chance but bring 2 salvage back with them.

Quirk: Command BattleMech Counts as any applicable 'Mech type in a Command Lance, regardless of its actual type. A Command 'Mech piloted by a Tactical Genius can always form a Command Lance regardless of the lance's actual composition.

MP critical damage is reduced from 1/2 mv per hit, to -1 mp per hit with the final hit halving MP. MP crits are extremely punishing when converting Alpha Strike back to hex maps. Cutting 12” to 6” is bad, cutting 6 hexes to 3 hexes is unplayable.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Downtime 1-1 1-2 1-3
New Earth: Raid (Wolf Empire) 1-1 1-2 1-3 1-4 1-5 1-6 1-7 1-8 1-9
Downtime 2-1 2-2 2-3 2-4
Galatea: Galatean Games (Champion Crush) 2-1 2-2 2-3 2-4 2-5 2-6 2-7 2-8 2-9
Downtime 3-1 3-2 3-3 3-4
Dustball Assassination 3-1 3-2 3-3 3-4 3-5 3-6 3-7 3-8
Downtime 4-1 4-2 4-3 4-4
Insufficient Warriors to Deploy
Downtime 5-1

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 16, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Current Unit Roster (Last Update 3/15/2023)
Company Ledger

Company Staff

Combat Units

Support Units

Company Warriors

Action Plan
If you wish to suggest an action plan for the company during downtime, you’ll need to include the following:

Major Downtime Action
- Negotiate for better mercenary contracts.
- Bargain Hunt to shop for BattleMechs, Vehicles, AeroSpace Fighters, and Infantry from local sources at discount prices!
- Recruit additional Mechwarriors, Vehicle Commanders, Pilots, and Team Leaders.
- Hire additional command staff.
- Gossip about off-world news to find planets that are likely to have valuable mercenary contracts.
- Travel to a new planet.
- Logistics Support to reduce the company’s upkeep cost.
- Scavenge and Trade for additional barter, unit purchases at reduced rates, or potentially even random salvage, at the cost of randomly exhausting some warriors. (This is functionally identical to bargain hunting and a DropShip cargo run)
- Company Overhaul to perform emergency repairs at the cost of randomly exhausting some warriors. (This is functionally identical to spending salvage on all of your damaged ‘mechs, without requiring a salvage expenditure)
- Combat Drills to show off to the locals, making better mercenary contracts available and recruiting additional warriors and Command Staff at the cost of randomly exhausting some warriors. (This is functionally identical to performing the Negotiate, Recruit, and Hire actions).
- Company R&R to take a second downtime immediately.
- Lay Low to avoid attention, staving off reprisals from the local authority.

Units and Warriors reserved for Combat
Lance Type Breakdown
Lance 1
- Unit 1:
- Warrior:
- Unit 2:
- Warrior:
- Unit 3:
- Warrior:
- Unit 4:
- Warrior:

Lance 2
- Unit 1:
- Warrior:
- Unit 2:
- Warrior:
- Unit 3:
- Warrior:
- Unit 4:
- Warrior:

Lance 3
- Unit 1:
- Warrior:
- Unit 2:
- Warrior:
- Unit 3:
- Warrior:
- Unit 4:
- Warrior:

Warriors Training
List anyone you’d specifically like to train here

Unassigned Warriors
List any warriors whose activities you don’t want to control here

Fired Staff
Fire problematic warriors or command staff if needed

Experience Expenditures
If any warriors have XP accumulated, spend it here on SPAs, skill upgrades, cross training, or whatever.
- Skill Training: Skill 5 to Skill 4 costs 1 xp, Skill 4 to Skill 3 costs 4 xp
- Class Training: 1 xp/size, so a Heavy ‘Mech requires 3 xp while training for light ‘Mechs only costs 1.
- Mech Specialization: 5 xp, and the pilot must run a combat mission in the ‘Mech they’re trying to specialize in. This is not retroactive, once they have their 5 xp they can try to specialize.
- Special Pilot Abilities: Cost varies, typically 1-4 xp

Repairs, Rebuilds, and Upgrades
If you need to spend salvage to quickly repair a damaged unit, want to upgrade a unit to a more advanced model, or if you want to spend salvage to rebuild a ‘Mech from the unit’s Repair Catalogue, do so here.

Buying New Units
If you'd like to spend barter to buy a new unit, do so here.

Selling Salvage or ‘Mechs
You can always sell excess salvage for barter at the planet’s going rate. Just remember: if the company expends all of its salvage its Repair Catalogue will be blanked out. Selling a completed ‘Mech will usually earn more barter than salvage alone, provided anyone on the planet can afford to buy it. As a general rule, a world that can sell ‘Mechs can probably afford to buy one.

Lance Type Breakdown
Battle Lance
Basic requirement(s): 3 members of the lance must have any combination of the brawler, sniper, or skirmisher roles.
Advanced requirement(s): Most battle lances have weight limits that require all members be a similar size if possible
Subtypes: Light Battle Lance, Medium Battle Lance, Heavy Battle Lance

Battle Lances aren't really the generalist lance type you might expect. Despite looking easy to formation break (defeat 1-2 sniper/skirmisher/brawlers and a battle lance will often lose cohesion) they're probably the single most defensive lance type in Alpha Strike. Rather than getting an individual pilot skill, Battle Lance gets six points of the Lucky skill to share communally between all members of the unit (this doesn't need to be assigned, any member of the lance may use as much or as little of this as needed). Lucky forces the enemy to reroll successful attacks, but once the Battle Lance is out of rerolls it doesn't grant any other benefits.

Assault Lance
Basic requirement(s): 1 unit must be a Juggernaut, or 2 units must be Snipers
Advanced requirement(s): At least 3 units must be size 3 or larger, no units can be size 1
Subtypes: Fast Battle Lance

Assault Lances are weird. They get to choose whether to be offense-focused or defense-focused but have no flexibility. Assault Lances choose either the Multi-Tasker (offensive) or Demoralizer (defensive) SPA and then gives that single SPA to two lance members. Demoralizer is an OK SPA, but Assault 'Mechs have a hard time using it because of their slow speed.

Fast Assault Lances require a 5 hex move or a 4 hex jump in addition to the standard requirements, and in additional to the normal choice 2 members of a Fast Assault Lance also gain the Stand Aside SPA allowing them to move through enemy units. Most fast assault lances will be jump capable so this is fairly useless (unless you brought a Charger or a Gargoyle).

Striker/Cavalry Lance
Basic requirement(s): 50% of the lance must be either a Striker or a Skirmisher
Advanced requirement(s): All units must have a minimum ground movement of 5 hexes or a 4 hex jump, all units must be size 3 or smaller
Subtypes: Light Striker/Cavalry Lance, Heavy Striker/Cavalry Lance

A solid mobility-focused generalist lance, the basic requirements for a Striker/Cavalry Lance are quite low so Striker/Cav lances will usually maintain cohesion until they're down to their last member. 75% of the units in a Strike/Cav lance gain the Speed Demon SPA, which isn't much but sometimes that extra hex of movement can really pay off.

Fire Lance
Basic requirement(s): At least 3 of the units in the lance must be either a Sniper or Missile Boat
Advanced requirement(s): None
Subtypes: Direct Fire Lance, Fire Support Lance, Artillery Fire Lance, Anti-Air Lance

An extremely powerful and often flexible offensive lance. The basic fire lance grants 2 members the Sniper SPA, reducing the range penalty for medium range by 1 and the penalty for long range by 2 (To a base of 0/1/2 instead of 0/2/4). Each Fire Lance subtype has much higher requirements, but grant even more bonuses so you always want to push for a subtype if you can.

- Fire Support Lances require 3 members with Indirect Fire (IF#), and grant 2 members the Oblique Attacker SPA reducing their ToHit with indirect fire attacks.
- Artillery Fire Lances require 3 members with Artillery (ARTX#), and grant 2 members the Oblique Artilleryman SPA which is the artillery version of Oblique Attacker.
- Direct Fire Lances require at least 2 units of size 3 and all units must be able to deliver at least 2 points of damage in their long range bracket. They gain the Weapon Specialist SPA, allowing them to halve their damage for an additional -1 bonus ToHit
- Anti-Air Lances require at least 2 units with Flak (FLK#), Autocannon (AC#/#/#), Artillery (ARTX#), or the anti-air targeting quirk. At the beginning of each turn they can shuffle the Anti-Aircraft Specialist SPA between any 2 of their units

Recon Lance
Basic requirement(s): 2 units in the lance must be Scouts or Strikers
Advanced requirement(s): All units must possess a minimum movement of 5 hexes
Subtypes: Light Recon Lance, Heavy Recon Lance

Recon Lances are another safe unit type that's very hard to break the cohesion of. In the default type, 3 members of a recon lance gain either the Maneuvering Ace SPA (extremely powerful) or the Eagle's Eyes SPA (very bad).
- Light Recon Lances require all units to be size 1 and have a 6 hex move (regardless of jump), but all 4 members of a light recon lance gain the SPAs.
- Heavy Recon Lances relax the speed requirements a little, but only 2 members of the lance gain the SPAs.

Pursuit Lance
Basic requirement(s): All units must be size 2 or less
Advanced requirement(s): 3 members of the unit must have a move of 6 hexes or more regardless of jump capability, 1 unit in this lance type must have a medium range attack value of 1 point (which is trivially easy to achieve)
Subtypes: Probe Lance, Sweep Lance

Pursuit Lances are the answer to "What do we do about a jumping Spider?" They're a very inflexible, offense-focused lance that focuses on speed and attacking evasive targets. 3 members of a Pursuit Lance gain the Blood Stalker SPA, giving them a bonus to hit a single designated target and a penalty to hit anything that isn't that target.

Probe Lances and Sweep Lances slightly relax the Pursuit Lance requirements but in such an insignificant way it makes me wonder why they exist.

Command Lance
Basic requirement(s): 2 members must be a sniper, missile boat, skirmisher, or juggernaut. 1 member must be a brawler, striker, or scout. 3 members of the lance must have different roles.
Advanced requirement(s): 1 member of the lance is designated overall commander
Subtypes: Vehicle Command Lance

2 of the non-commander units in the lance receive any one of the following SPAs: Antagonizer (sucks), Blood Stalker (OK), Combat Intuition (S-Tier), Eagle's Eyes (sucks), Marksman (Situationally very strong), or Multi-Tasker (C-Tier). The commander automatically gains the Tactical Genius SPA, which has no direct effect in our run so I've been letting the command lance assign its skills to anyone instead.

Support Lance
Basic requirement(s): None
Advanced requirement(s): None
Subtypes: N/A

Slightly better than an untyped lance, a Support Lance provides backup to another lance. They receive half as many SPAs as the lance they're supporting does, with the exception of the command lance: if supporting a Command Lance a Support Lance gains both non-commander SPAs. Which means ideally they should support a Command Lance for two extra Combat Intuitions to break the action economy. If that's not an option the next best choices are a Light Recon Lance for 2 extra Maneuvering Aces, a Fast Assault Lance for 1 Stand Aside and 1 Demoralizer or Multitasker, or any of the specialist Fire lances. Any lance that only grants 3 or less SPAs will only grant a support lance a single SPA, so the other lances types aren't great choices. Support lances automatically lose cohesion any time they're reduced to 2 remaining members.

Downtime 4 - 2
Non-Combat Support Lance
The support lance is an off-map unit that gives bonuses during or after combat. The company will be allowed to bring up to four ground units and a pair of Aerospace Fighters in a back-up lance that follows along behind the combat unit but shouldn't (unless something goes very wrong) appear on the map.

The Non-Combat Support Lance doesn't need to be assigned warriors or crew unless you field a combat unit like an Aerospace Fighter or a scout 'Mech.

Unlike a combat unit, the ground speed, movement type, armor, and other combat stats of the support lance's ground units have no impact on the support lance's performance. Instead, the support lance's performance is determined by its tags. These are semi-arbitrary and I reserve the right to add more as we progress. Many tags will stack, so having more of the same tag will often provide additional benefit.

Non-Combat Support Tag List
Unique / Non-Stacking Tags
MHQ - Mobile HQ is a unique tag that allows the support lance to assist the combat unit in processing combat data. The MHQ tag is required to employ off-map artillery or to call in an Aerospace Fighter bombing or strafing run. Having multiple MHQ tags has no effect.
FRB - Field Repair Base is a unique tag that allows the player unit to repair and rearm without the need to return to a base or the DropShip. Having multiple repair tags has no effect. Warriors cannot rest or be reassigned at a Field Repair base and must be deployed with their current fatigue.
MFB - Mobile Field Base is the superior version of both MHQ and Field Repair, folding both of these tags into a single tag. Unlike the Field Repair tag, warriors may rest and be reassigned to different units at an MFB.
Trailer - Unit must be towed and does not count towards the Support Lance's unit cap
Superheavy - Units with the Superheavy tag take up multiple DropShip bays
Booby Trap - A unit with this support tag will be automatically sacrificed on a mission failure to guarantee the rest of the support lance will survive unscathed
Indestructable - This support unit is never at risk

Stacking Tags
Art - The Artillery tag allows each player-controlled lance to call in a number of artillery strikes per mission equal to the number of artillery tags present.
MASH - The Mobile Army Support Hospital tag reduces the risk of pilot injury by 1 per MASH tag, to a minimum of 4+
Scavenge - The scavenge tag enables the support lance to automatically collect one piece of field salvage per scavenge tag after the mission ends. This automatic collection does not benefit from any SPAs. If all the salvage is gathered, scavenger units will instead boost local favorability as they assist with post-combat search and rescue operations.
Cargo - The Cargo tag allows players to 'dump off' salvage in a 3-hex band near their deployment zone for later pickup. This frees up that unit's hands to collect more salvage. For each cargo tag in the support lance, this zone is extended another 3 hexes. This does have an upper limit of about half-way across the map. Support units with at least one Cargo tag may be stored in DropShip bays normally reserved for cargo.
Construction - Units with the construction tag can build or repair infrastructure such as roads, bridges, sensor towers, or defensive walls. This enables the player unit to catch catch the OpForce faster or to prepare a stronger line of defense. Functionally, this is an arbitrary tag whose benefits are determined by the GM, but I'll try to skew combat maps in the players' favor if you have construction tags in your support lance. Additionally, construction units will slightly boost local favorability as they assist with post-combat search and rescue operations. Construction vehicles are required to field a Large Support Aircraft such as the King Karnov.
Scout - Scout is a tag that primarily protects the support lance from being destroyed in the event of a mission failure. The presence of additional scout units assist the combat lance in the same way construction lances do: I will try to skew combat maps in the players' favor if you have scouts in your support lance.
Security - The security tag deters enemy infantry from attempting to capture the Support Lance, as well as improving its chances of survival if the players fail a mission.

Aerospace Support
AeroSpace Support functions a little differently from the rest of the non-combat support lance. Rather than following the full AeroSpace rules, their function (like artillery) is being somewhat abstracted to cut down on the things players will have to track. Their tags, if applicable, do count towards the support unit's total tags.

When called in by a player request, the two-craft AeroSpace Lance can either make a level bombing run, a dive bombing attack, a strafing run, or a strike attack against the OpForce. They may also be tasked to intercept and drive off enemy AeroSpace Fighters, or to strike enemy off-map artillery. Because the OpForce has very little recourse against these attacks, the AeroSpace Lance will enter a cooldown period after their strike during which they can't be called back into the battlefield. This cooldown period is primarily dictated by their thrust, with higher-thrust units being able to return to the fight more quickly, but can also be artificially lenghtened by enemy units with anti-aircraft tags. The number of strikes the AeroSpace Lance can make is dictated by their fuel capacity and will be fairly arbitrary.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 16, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Our first vote already! Our unit needs a name and a commander.

Mercenary Leadership:
The Lone Wolf
Name: Raniya Wolf
Pronouns: They/Them
Backstory: With their conquest of Terra, the ilClan has a pressing need for information from all sources—not only domestic, but also abroad. While mercenaries may not be privy to state secrets, knowing who is fighting whom and why is still invaluable and no one is better positioned to collect that information than a traveling mercenary.
DropShip: Overlord-class Awoooouuuu!
Commander Bonus: Deployable as a no cost high-skill Mechwarrior.
Commander Downside: The campaign ends if the Company Commander dies before the company hires an XO.
Starting Mechs: 1 Dominator*, 3x JLP-BD Jackalope, 1 Incubus 1, 1 GRF-3N Griffin, 1 BLD-XL Blade, 1 GST-10 Ghost, 1 B1-HND Bloodhound, 1 AGT-1A Agrotera, 1 RPT-2X Raptor II, 1 SDR-9M Spider, 1 Firestorm
PTN’s note: The Dominator can only be deployed with Raniya Wolf at the controls. At least, for now.

The Empty Suit
Name: Security Manager Kanzaki Ran
Pronouns: He/Him
Backstory: Forced to rebuild their corporate headquarters in the wake of the Word of Blake Jihad, Isesake Shipping took the lessons of Hachiman to heart. While the company had never shied away from hiring mercenaries when needed, the idea of keeping a team of mercenaries in their pocket for troubleshooting appealed immensely to a corporation with numerous inter-house holdings, and if they could be profitable on the side even better! Security Manager Kanzaki Ran is just another suit hoping to accomplish enough to advance to C-Level and is as interchangeable as the machines he commands.
DropShip: Overlord II-class Open to Negotiation
Commander Bonus: The company converts sold salvage to barter at a fixed 1:4 rate unless the local planet’s conversion rate is better
Commander Downside: Corporate HQ may force the company to take a contract with little compensation or to travel to a corporate holding
Starting Mechs: 1 EXR-2X Exhumer, 2x PNT-14R Panther, 1 HKZ-1F Hitotsume-Kozo, 1 DMO-1K Daimyo, 1 WVR-10R Wolverine, 1 SKW-2F Shockwave, 1 HCT-5DT Hatchetman, 1 GBT-1G Gambit, 2x WGT-2LAW Wight, 1 NH-1A Rook

The Free Trader
Name: Shahrazad Honeysong
Pronouns: She/Her
Backstory: A second-generation ship captain, Shahrazad Honeysong finished paying off the mortgage on her family’s DropShip and now owns it free and clear. She can go where she wants, haul what she wants, and do what she wants—but even as a mercenary commander she’ll always be a space trucker at heart. Captain Honeysong hauls more freight during downtime than the other DropShip Captains and has set a few mechbays aside as extra cargo space. She has no qualms about making more distant stops to make some extra barter and may leave the mercenary company without DropShip support for a contract or two while she finishes a lucrative hauling job.
DropShip: Overlord-class Bought and Paid For
Commander Bonus: DropShip generates random amounts of barter during downtime
Commander Downside: The company may not always be able to travel during downtime, Reduced ‘Mech and salvage storage capacity (24 ‘Mechs)
Starting Mechs: 1 BL-18-KNT Black Knight, 1 SHD-6D Shadow Hawk, 1 TBT-7M Trebuchet, 1 VND-5L Vindicator, 1 WLF-2 Wolfhound, 2x JLP-BD Jackalope, 2 LCT-7V Locust, 1 RZK-9S Razorback, 1 VLK-QDD Valkyrie, 1 FS9-M2 Firestarter

The Freebooter
Name: Zheng Panza
Pronouns: They/Them
Backstory: A grumpy enigma in an ancient but heavily-armed DropShip, Zheng Panza hails from the far side of Clan space, near the old bandit kingdoms. They hate the Clans vehemently, but that wouldn’t stop them from working for a Clanner for the right price. A true mercenary, they never let their own opinions stand in the way of a payout.
DropShip: Fortress-class Our Lady of Perpetual Fire Support
Commander Bonus: Off-map artillery is always available in every mission at the cost of 1 barter/5 shots
Commander Downside: Extremely low ‘Mech and salvage storage capacity, DropShip carries no fighters, probably a pirate
Starting Mechs: 1 WHM-10K Warhammer, 1 RFL-7N2 Rifleman, 1 PXH-9 Phoenix Hawk, 1 NTL-AG Neanderthal
Starting Vehicles: 2x Testudo Siege Tank, 2x SM1 SM Tank Destroyer, 2x Schildkröte Line Tank, 2x Strix Stealth VTOL
PTN’s note: This commander is basically hard mode. Vehicle bays are worse than mechbays for everything except salvage storage. You won’t have much leeway if your units get crippled or destroyed, and the Fortress’s low unit capacity means you’ll be forced to sell excess salvage frequently. All the other captains are playing for salvage, Zheng is playing for barter and is going to be very reliant on picking up reliable ubiquitous units like the Thunderbolt or space-efficient units like the Jackalope.

Suggest Your Own
I can’t guarantee this’ll get any traction, but if you have an idea you want to sell people on, go for it! I reserve the right to nerf or change any suggested Commander Bonuses to bring them into rough parity.

Vote Here!

The result was a tie

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 18, 2022

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The Free Trader gives us money. Whats not to like? Occasional extra downtime just means we can do extra repairs or training. Just keep a small surplus around.

You keeping the same list as before for posters with PM or should everyone PM you again?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Slaan posted:

Occasional extra downtime just means we can do extra repairs or training.

Not extra downtime, exactly. Inability to travel. It means you'll need to be careful not to totally piss off the local authority.

Slaan posted:

You keeping the same list as before for posters with PM or should everyone PM you again?

It's a new game so I'm asking for new recruits.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Swiggity swooty, go with Freebooty

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Angels on High

Name: Samantha Falsort
Pronouns: She/Her
Backstory: Not all Mercs get a lot of support or have large pockets. Some have to make due with that they have and work with Quality over Quantity. And sometimes that quality comes with fire support. Samantha has a Dropship, and she's looking for a few good MechWarriors to have boots on the ground while she keeps them in sight.
Dropship Aurora-Class Angels on High
Commander Bonus: Fire Support from the Dropship on occasion (fires some weapons from off map?)
Commander Downside: Only room for four Mechs. Make them Count
Starting Mechs: 1 HBK-7S Hunchback. 1 B1-HND Bloodhound, 1 SHD-8L Shadowhawk, 1 ALM-8D Fireball
Proposal note: For the players who want faster games with lighter mechs to start with, this Merc group goes for a Striker Lance while leaving plenty of room for improvement or even expanding to a second Dropship.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

The Empty Suit

i just think it looks like a fun unit list

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Don't have a vote yet because I have to read more of the OPs and ponder, but I can't wait to participate in this thread!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
The Free Trader solely because I'm a huge sucker for the Black Knight.

I had a lot of fun with Alpha Strike when I played it, and I think it's the only Battletech I might reasonably touch these days; very curious to see what you do with it!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
The Free Trader

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Freebooter

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Here we go! Again, super thanks PTN for keeping this adventure going in different forms. I've not played Alpha Strike despite always being into BT since forever, so I'm down.

Voting Free Trader.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Free trader

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Free Trader

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Free Trader!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Our Lady OF PERPETUAL FIRE SUPPORT

Everyone likes artillery, come on

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Free trader!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Free Trader

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oh man another sick thread from PTN, hell yeah.

I hope we see a Helopolis at some point :allears:
Also voting Free Trader for bandwagon

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Empty Suit

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Free Trader

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Freebooter, I can't say no to Our Lady of Perpetual Fire Support

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kinda feel like the ship has sailed, but hell, might as well go with...

The Lone Wolf - I dunno, a merc Clanner sounds fun, especially given how much the Clans hate mercs to begin with. :shrug:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Free Trader

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Free Trader for free money

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I forgot I was planning on doing votes via Strawpoll this time around, so the voting link is here!

We do need company name suggestions as well, although that's a bit less urgent.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 17, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
So, let's talk about 'Mech quirks real quick. There're some fun 'Mechs to watch out for in the starting lists.

The JLP-BD Jackalope - with Compact 'Mech (2) and a narrow profile, the Jackrabbit is the only unit in the game that can squeeze four 'Mechs into a single modified Mechbay. This is a minor house rule in favor of the Jackalope and only works if all four of the 'Mechs in the bay are Jackalopes (otherwise they just count as normal compact 'Mechs) since their fluff says this is something they can do. Compact 'Mech is normally a one-and-done quirk, so I figured I'd call it out.

Other notable compact 'Mechs are the Locust and the UrbanMech... and that's it. Nothing beats the Jackalope for space efficiency.

The HKZ-1F Hitotsume Kozo looks bad at a glance. It has the difficult to maintain negative quirk which means if it takes structure damage you have to spend a salvage to repair it... but it's a 50 tonner with as much armor as a stock Banshee, has an all energy weapon loadout, and critical hit resistance. This means the Hitotsume Kozo is completely immune to both the Ammunition Explosion and 'Mech Destroyed critical hits. It's an extremely tanky medium 'Mech that is basically a hard counter to glass cannon lights like the Jackalope and Incubus while still being able to comfortably engage much heavier 'Mechs for a few turns. It is still vulnerable to attacks from high damage Clan heavy and assault 'Mechs, but... what isn't? The Hitotsume Kozo's only real flaw is that, even though it has TSM, it doesn't have an overheat value so it has no way to reliably activate it.

The WLF-2 Wolfhound has the Easy to Pilot quirk, which means any Mechwarrior can pilot it without penalty regardless of whatever weight classes they normally prefer. It also has a good reputation, which does nothing except make Wolfhounds appear to be more valuable than they are. This makes Wolfhounds attractive 'Mechs to salvage and sell since you'll probably get more barter doing that than you would just selling the salvage alone. Assuming, of course, the planet you're on can buy BattleMechs. :ssh:

I wanted to talk about the NTL-AG Neanderthal here, since it's an 80 ton TSM melee 'Mech that can do up to 6 damage in melee base before taking any pilot SPAs into account and is just as fast as the Charger, but let's face it: the real powerhouse(s) on the Freebooter team is the SM1 Tank Destroyer. These are just monstrous 50 ton fast hovertanks and their only real negative quirk doesn't apply at all in Alpha Strike.

There's also one 'Mech you'll probably want to snap up or salvage if you get the chance, and that is the Thunderbolt. They're not the most dangerous attackers, but with Rugged(2) and Ubiquitous, the Thunderbolt costs no upkeep and always repairs to full after every battle which means it will always be available for missions provided the company can take a Downtime between fights.

Edit: I am still hoping for some good discussion about voting options, so if Strawpoll takes that away from us I'll probably abandon it. The vote's pretty close--why did you choose to vote the way you did?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 17, 2022

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I picked Freebooter because I have a thing for artillery and vehicles.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

AtomikKrab posted:

I picked Freebooter because I have a thing for artillery and vehicles.

Planes, Mechs, and Automobiles. The whole package.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

habituallyred posted:

Planes, Mechs, and Automobiles. The whole package.

The freebooter can't get fighters. :ssh:

Everyone else can get tanks too, they just don't start with any.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
I voted Freebooter because pirates hiding behind a thin veil of legitimacy seemed pretty cool. The dropship name was a nice bonus.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The Dropship names are all great, but Our Lady of Perpetual Fire Support is S-tier.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Voting for Wolf's SAGoons The Lone Wolf

Rename the drop ship to Awoouu (wolf Howl) if necessary to gain more votes.

Also, making the MVP vote have direct consequences is a cool idea!

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Free trader cuz let's ask build the north (galactic) arm free trade agreement!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Chronojam posted:

Rename the drop ship to Awoouu (wolf Howl) if necessary to gain more votes.

I'm not sure it'd generate the 6+ votes needed for that option to win, but I definitely can.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm not sure it'd generate the 6+ votes needed for that option to win, but I definitely can.

I just voted for the lone wolf on this suggestion. There may be posters even worse than me who might be similarly swayed

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
The Empty Suit

Get to C-Level, Get C-Bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I voted Empty Suit because it has a couple mechs I like and I dig the Drakes in general.

Also Free Trader's in the lead, and I like to vote for runner-ups to keep them in contention.