Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Koramei posted:

Not coming down on you specifically, because I know this is a really common assumption, but the notion that bodies of water are the only meaningful barriers is really a pretty flawed one; China’s geography is really not any more suited towards unification than Europe’s is — there are huge changes in climate even in the traditionally Han regions, mountain ranges criss-crossing major chunks of the landscape, and while there are navigable ones too, there are large stretches of river that are very difficult to navigate. Chinese unification was a long, slow process largely in spite of all of that, and even its heartlands are like 4-5 separate geographical regions.
I feel like you could argue the opposite: Direct access to the ocean (or an inland sea) makes it easier for multiple independent polities to prevail, by encouraging a more spread out development of the region. If you look at population density maps of the period where China unified and Europe failed to, China has a sort of radial development out from the Han core while Europe's is much more evenly distributed. India has a similar thing going on with their great empires, which are largely centered around the very dense north, while the south is harder to unify/hold due to a more spread out development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Koramei posted:

Not coming down on you specifically, because I know this is a really common assumption, but the notion that bodies of water are the only meaningful barriers is really a pretty flawed one; China’s geography is really not any more suited towards unification than Europe’s is — there are huge changes in climate even in the traditionally Han regions, mountain ranges criss-crossing major chunks of the landscape, and while there are navigable ones too, there are large stretches of river that are very difficult to navigate. Chinese unification was a long, slow process largely in spite of all of that, and even its heartlands are like 4-5 separate geographical regions.
Oh, the bodies of water being the end of the story was what Turtledove's idea seemed to be. The way I'd seen the concept was that Europe's rivers are all pretty short (except the Danube I guess) in addition to the fact that there's a lot of big islands and isolated peninsulas.

I don't think the idea that Chinese unification was "easy," but that it was perhaps more durable. You could build an empire around, say, the Mediterranean, the way you could around one of the major rivers in China, but when that empire fell apart it was a lot easier for all the bits to stay isolated bits, as opposed to China where all the bits are still right next to each other, more or less.

I was a way bigger fan of geographical determinism when I was a kid. It seems like a really incomplete and small part of the picture now, to be honest, so don't really want to defend it as a primary driver of things and discount human agency, but it doesn't seem entirely irrelevant to how differently things turned out in different regions.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

you get this weird thing where a lot of bodies of water some state ruler decided to use as the barrier because it's a great place to mount a defense against invaders, but also a lot of bodies of water have tightly interlinked communities develop on both sides because when you're not an invading army, it's pretty easy to cross, maybe even easier than if it was land sometimes. Communities love living near water. And that's not even getting into the fact that rivers can just change their course, leaving people's homes on the "wrong" side.

Mountains probably make better borders since they're both defensible and block communities more effectively. Even when people can get through them, not a lot of people won't want to make the effort without a reason. But even then it can be hard for people to decide where the border is, how far along the mountains, how much of the passes through the mountains they control (which can very easily lead to owning big chunks of land on the other side of the mountains). Some crazy people live on the mountains even in their own communities that drift pretty far from the flatlanders. I guess there's also a lot of variability with mountains and how much of an obstacle they are.

Deserts are even more confusing, because even less people want to live in them, and they're more impassable, but how far out into the empty desert do you want to draw your border of control? The further you push, the more expensive it is, but if you leave enough empty space, raiders can hide somewhere out there. Then a steppe is like that, but just enough more livable for societies to live out there without being cost-effective to establish military control.

And those are just the bigger geographical features. Things get so much more complicated when you examine forests, soil, mineral deposits. But the allure is still there to describe the world in those terms because otherwise you have to sort out what the deal is with all these squirming humans all over every surface.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Big and small water barriers also matter. The med is small and it's a fairly short trip across which means cultures are somewhat similar and can trade ideas. Then you have the large barriers, like the oceans and you'll find much more cultural diversity. The Aztecs, China, India and many places in Africa all have very distinct and unique cultures with minor similarities that are mostly similar because of how humans think.

One culture in Africa had a tradition of binding the heads of children to promote weird skull shapes, this idea existed in China too but with feet and these cultures never had contact.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

lmao PDXCON is back and tickets cost 500 euros.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
but you get covid for free, and that's priceless

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wiz don't get covid we need game :ohdear:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Wiz get paradox to buy you a full face PAPR challenge

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Drone posted:

lmao PDXCON is back and tickets cost 500 euros.

It should be 50 euros to get into the lobby and 50 more euros for access to each supplementary room.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Wiz get paradox to buy you a full face PAPR challenge

- Paradox developers at PDXCON 2022

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Can I get into PDXCon for 500 euro or 20 euro per month

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

SlothfulCobra posted:

you get this weird thing where a lot of bodies of water some state ruler decided to use as the barrier because it's a great place to mount a defense against invaders

So here's the thing - after the ancient period and until relatively recently oceans DON'T always make a good defensive barrier. Almost the opposite, in fact - if your enemy has a fleet, it's relatively easy for them to load up a couple of boats full of angry lads and land wherever they want much faster than you can detect their invasion, muster your troops, and either form a counter-fleet or meet them at their landing site. Boats are fast-moving compared to marching on land and can carry a lot more stuff (and people) more efficiently than wagon trains, see, and pre-modern mobilization systems have trouble reacting fast enough to a fleet cruising down your coast idly picking landing spots.

Consider the Viking invasions of England, for instance, which were rarely countered at sea or on the beaches but were ultimately decided by battles on land, or how 1066 was again decided after a series of invading armies landed and fought battles on terra firma. It takes until roughly the increasing growth of state power in the early modern period and the development of gunpowder (and consequent logistical limitations) before the sea became less a highway and more a barrier.

That being said boats are and were super expensive and it'd take a mighty lord indeed to be able to afford (or conscript) a serious invasion fleet and not just raiders. Easy enough to make an invasion happen once you have them but it's a job of work getting there to begin with.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

covid is over

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think that might've been a technology/organization thing. Rome back in the day liked the idea of establishing the Rhine and Danube rivers as their borders, but Rome was also pretty proactive about defending its borders and there weren't really a lot of boat people around at the time, definitely none that had the kind of long-range sailing ability that Vikings would later have. And even if there were, not a lot of places outside of Rome could even build and equip that many ships. And right at the time when the Vikings were figuring out how to do that, the big lords of Europe were trying to crack down on regional fortifications and military power, making them extra vulnerable to raids and invasions.

And then when Europe started to re-fortify, that made the viability of naval raids start to fade

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

idk i think england's been invaded less times than france

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

idk i think england's been invaded less times than france

why would anyone want to invade england

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

VostokProgram posted:

i think there's extensive historical records you could check

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Regarde Aduck posted:

i think there's extensive historical records you could check

im illiterate

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Being illiterate never stopped me.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i mean like half the english invasions has been some fail-son aristocrat who needed to find something to do with themselves.

Canute showed up, declared himself king, and left.

The romans seem to be the only ones who wanted to stick around and look at where that got them.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I mean the Normans definitely stuck around

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

I mean the Normans definitely stuck around

I feel like "william the bastard" falls into the first category.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh duh, I misread it as the failsons didn't stick around either my bad

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

VostokProgram posted:

Started off in Scandinavia, the only place where going to England improves your weather.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Good result for the quarter. 2million copies of CK3 sold!

https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1521377568057925632

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It feels really weird to have a stream on youtube for the CEO and CFO to go over their quarterly earnings report. That seems like something to be given at a board meeting not to everyone on YouTube.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hellioning posted:

It feels really weird to have a stream on youtube for the CEO and CFO to go over their quarterly earnings report. That seems like something to be given at a board meeting not to everyone on YouTube.

Still lolling when the previous CEO slipped and called the fans at the Berlin PDXcon shareholders.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Hellioning posted:

It's very common to hold a conference call for financial analysts. Streaming it on Youtube is rather less common.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They're just that young and hip.

It's all public information anyway isn't it? This way they can just link the video and send it to whoever needs it for business stuff.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Alphabet (the owners of YouTube) do so themselves, why not everyone else?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Agree

And in CK3 we barely have the mongol invasion, cause they are so ineffective and will explode after a bit anyway
I've seen them roll over Russia, the Byzantines and the Middle East.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Charlz Guybon posted:

I've seen them roll over Russia, the Byzantines and the Middle East.

I heard they got stronger in the last patches but I haven't played ina while

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have always been reluctant to play a Russian start because of the Mongols. How difficult are they to deal with? I am only a ck3 player of middling skill, so I am reluctant to start a game that will enviably end with me being smooshed a few hundred years down the road.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Odds are they will never reach you anyway, I have seen them consume Persia and Rome, but I have literally never seen them seize the Khazaria title on the Pontic Steppe. And even then they'll probably be too distracted, if you have siege weapons you should be able to grind your way to 100WS from occupations before an enemy army even shows up. The Mongols are disastrously badly implemented, right up there with Crusades (very disheartening for a game with Crusade in the name imo).

Worst case scenario you can always just surrender and become their vassal anyway.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This March of the Eagles: East v West project looks like it may actually work.

https://youtu.be/nij5AYlrNU8

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

This March of the Eagles: East v West project looks like it may actually work.

https://youtu.be/nij5AYlrNU8

Mod made by Chiang Kai-Shek?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Way too many blue countries, hard pass

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What's the war going on in India at the same time?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
First Kashmir War but longer is my guess. Looks like they're occupying then-East Pakistan with the major show happening just offscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What's the war going on in India at the same time?

Probably this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Pakistani_War_of_1947%E2%80%931948

But uh, obviously escalating to last much much longer than it did IRL. Frankly I kind of wish the video zoomed out further so that was visible too, since it feels almost as interesting as what was going on in China until the Soviet intervention began.