Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Have to go back and pick out some quotes from that one, seemed like at least three or four other lines could have been the episode title.

Judi screenshot of the week

Also, got to imagine that the best photo on your phone task is going to do the rounds in the international versions, clearly a recipe for some fun responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

5 points for the mirror? lol

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Sophie is positively hilarious, while Ardal looks very scared most of the time. Basically, I root for them both.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Very fun cast overall, I don't dislike anyone and Sophie rules. Very surprised they were able to save the kinda lame maypole task with the legitimately exciting side-by-side footage. The cool photo task was one of the more creative ones they've had recently, reminded me of TM NZ 2.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJvjP3iiK_8

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I've been watching UK S8 recently and I honestly do not get why it was called early in this thread a bad season.

The only complaint I would have is that Joe Thomas looks most of the studio segments like he is about to fall asleep or start crying, and the new "oriental themed" inserts and house decorations are worse than what they replaced but that's about it.

The tasks seem to be rather varied and all contestants win at least one episode, even Paul who is "the bad at doing things" this time around.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 22, 2022

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It suffered from following in the footsteps of TM at its peak, s7, which probably overly magnified where it was weaker.

That said, the closest TM has come to actual bad series is 10.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 22, 2022

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Joe Thomas is a mood and the best thing in the season.

I love the season, and the red light green light at the train station remains one of my favorite physical tasks of the series.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When I first watched it, Joe Thomas seemed really depressing, but now that I know more about him, he's actually just extremely weird.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Series 10 was probably the worst to me and that probably has more to do with covid measures causing an adjustment to tasks they weren't expecting.

Also Johnny Vegas is more sad to watch than funny most of the time. I like Johnny, but the poor bastard just wasn't cut out for the show.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
No idea how the hand got 5 points instead of 3 for the studio task, Chris was robbed in that task tbh

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Der Kyhe posted:

I've been watching UK S8 recently and I honestly do not get why it was called early in this thread a bad season.

The only complaint I would have is that Joe Thomas looks most of the studio segments like he is about to fall asleep or start crying, and the new "oriental themed" inserts and house decorations are worse than what they replaced but that's about it.

The tasks seem to be rather varied and all contestants win at least one episode, even Paul who is "the bad at doing things" this time around.

Series 8 is on here in Finland at the moment and I’m absolutely loving it (again). I forgot how much fun Sian is.

Meanwhile, Bridget Christie in the current series has me wondering what her home life with Stewart Lee is like.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Creature posted:

Series 8 is on here in Finland at the moment and I’m absolutely loving it (again). I forgot how much fun Sian is.

Yeah, guess why I am watching it right now. :D

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Creature posted:

Meanwhile, Bridget Christie in the current series has me wondering what her home life with Stewart Lee is like.

In the first episode she depicted Greg as coming home saying he hates his job and eating crisps for dinner, and I think she was projecting her husband onto him there...

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah, guess why I am watching it right now. :D

Christ, I always forget that half of SA’s user base is somehow in Finland.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I literally just finished S8 and Joe Thomas was a mood the entire time. I wanted Greg to give him a hug.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

He's no Jack Dee.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

When I first watched it, Joe Thomas seemed really depressing, but now that I know more about him, he's actually just extremely weird.
I looked him up on Wikipedia

quote:

After graduating from university, Thomas took to acting professionally, and his parents have accepted and are not ashamed of his choice of career.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Sian and Joe were a really good team, but I may be overrating them due to one of the most egregious acts of cheating I've ever seen.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

Sian and Joe were a really good team, but I may be overrating them due to one of the most egregious acts of cheating I've ever seen.

The cheating was good, but this is one of the greatest things in the show.

https://youtu.be/v7pOKlO-DNI

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

oh jay posted:

lmao just amazing energy. I wish we got more of them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

oh jay posted:

Followed by another greatest seconds later with his expressions when she opens the box.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

wouldn't seriously consider the opinion of anyone calling a TM series bad, but to some extent ya just gotta roll with it and let it slide for the purposes of a thread and discussion

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009
Chris is going to win the season, but Sophie is who I hope to see more of in the ToC

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't think she's not going to win, but I find myself rooting for Bridget because I always appreciate contestants being extra with their costumes.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Season 8 is sometimes a tough rewatch because apparently Paul Sinha had Parkinson's when it was being recorded but he didn't have a diagnosis at that point. You can see his hands shake quite a lot.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

oh jay posted:

I don't think she's not going to win, but I find myself rooting for Bridget because I always appreciate contestants being extra with their costumes.

Tim Vine is still the one to beat, but Daisy really tried hard.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Talking of costumes:

Heavy_D posted:

In this interview she claims that she didn't have many options, since you need to have two copies of your outfit, and most of her clothes are irreplicable thrift store purchases.

Does this mean all the mad costuming is owned by the contestants and they all have two versions of it? Like, does Lee Mack own two Evil Knievel suits for some reason?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It's Lee Mack...I can believe that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

OrthoTrot posted:

Talking of costumes:

Does this mean all the mad costuming is owned by the contestants and they all have two versions of it? Like, does Lee Mack own two Evil Knievel suits for some reason?

I can see Lou Sanders having two of her 80s Doctor Who jumpsuit made up.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can't believe that this show must have made Joe Wilkinson buy a second suit

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It's Lee Mack...I can believe that.

"Honey, I need to buy a second jacket. It's a business expense!"

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I can't believe that this show must have made Joe Wilkinson buy a second suit

:emptyquote:

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I enjoyed Alex's attempts this episode in getting Greg to score things properly

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Who I want to win: Bridget
Who will win: Chris
Who might win: Sophie
Who won’t win: Ardal
Who better not win: Judi

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

Who I want to win: Bridget
Who will win: Chris
Who might win: Sophie
Who won’t win: Ardal
Who better not win: Judi

:emptyquote:

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Sophie deserved better on the photo recreation. Messing with Alex should always get bonus points.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Ardal's menacing stare reminded me of Paddington.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Anals of History posted:

Sophie deserved better on the photo recreation. Messing with Alex should always get bonus points.
Don't think I can agree with you there. When Blackadder described Nursie as "a sad, insane old woman with an udder fixation", he might as well have been describing Sophie in this task. Can't give that more than three points. PS: get Tony Robinson for next series of Taskmaster - especially since he knows Greg through Man Down.

But thinking one last time about this task, should the coolness of the photo have been part of the judging?

A) The task as broadcast was the best way to do it, only awarding points for the accuracy of the recreation
B) There should have been a full five points on offer for the coolest photo, judged separately from the accuracy of the recreation
C) The second task should have been judged on "Most accurate recreation of the most cool photo wins", combining the two into one task

Vote now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm pretty sure they've done B) on at least one other occasion where they had a red herring setup task and a "real" one based on it, although details elude me.