Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Like Bayonetta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It's ok. I don't have the patience for the combat system.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You just need to get good at proccing witch time

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Guess this is Dabi's "I never saved anything for the swim back" moment.

I never really much cared for the Todorokis, but I have to admit their plot at least came together pretty cohesively by the end here. I even get why Shoto would want to "save" him, or at least what that would mean - Dabi wants to lay both of their bodies out at their father's feet, so going suicidally hard at his younger brother right now fulfills both goals. To defeat Dabi and resolve the consequences of his father's actions, Shoto has to both protect himself and, ideally, stop Dabi from killing himself as well.

Your mileage is really going to vary depending on your patience for adolescent angst and sins of the father themes, but at least it's coherent.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I do like the reveal that he is not only the ultimate fail son, but also the explanation for why he's kept around despite being a gently caress-up wildcard. He's like a character with the berserk status: he may not listen to you, but at least you know he's going to take out a few of your enemies before he ultimately falls.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Just lol that Dabi is so good at loving up plans of his villain friends, that he wasn't even able to die when he was supposed to.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
It would be the ultimate culmination of a lifetime of failure if he can't even kill himself in the end. Like, I'm not even sure how he survives this considering what he's already done to himself in this chapter, but I'm sure Shoto will find a way.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shoto is actually holding a bowl of udon ready to serve it to Dabi as the battle reaches the peak.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dolash posted:

Guess this is Dabi's "I never saved anything for the swim back" moment.

I never really much cared for the Todorokis, but I have to admit their plot at least came together pretty cohesively by the end here. I even get why Shoto would want to "save" him, or at least what that would mean - Dabi wants to lay both of their bodies out at their father's feet, so going suicidally hard at his younger brother right now fulfills both goals. To defeat Dabi and resolve the consequences of his father's actions, Shoto has to both protect himself and, ideally, stop Dabi from killing himself as well.

Your mileage is really going to vary depending on your patience for adolescent angst and sins of the father themes, but at least it's coherent.

the whole Todoroki arc’s biggest weakness is that its “main” character, Shouto, is by far the blandest. otherwise agreed that it was well done and avoided most of the pitfalls you usually get with abusive-parent narratives

Dabi’s winning the bad guy race at this point because he’s like the only one left on the whole roster with a coherent motive other than “wanna be evil”

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Yeah that kind of nails it. I like the sub plot, I especially liked it from Endeavor and Dabi's perspective. It's been handled well overall, but IcyHot is boring as hell most of the time and since he's supposed to be our protagonist in that tale it feels a bit flat.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I can't believe it but I actually would've liked to see the Shouya Todoroki mystery focused on more, just to build more of a relationship between Dabi and Shoto on Shoto's end.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

the whole Todoroki arc’s biggest weakness is that its “main” character, Shouto, is by far the blandest. otherwise agreed that it was well done and avoided most of the pitfalls you usually get with abusive-parent narratives

It's great that while MHA does get into the nuances of what Endeavor did, it never lets up on how his actions were monstrous and that he's lost everything important in his life because of it. Even in his breakdown in the hospital, it was less 'Toya being alive magically fixes the family' and more 'stop moping around, and help us save our eldest son'.

I can only hope it sticks the landing by having Endeavor and Rei get divorced by the end so everyone can just move on with their lives.

Oxxidation posted:

Dabi’s winning the bad guy race at this point because he’s like the only one left on the whole roster with a coherent motive other than “wanna be evil”

I don't like Dabi, but this is sadly true. Maybe in a better timeline, MHA would've focused on Spinner, Magne and Compress instead. Spinner gets to deal with the racism heteromorphs face from society, Magne focuses on how her Quirk is actively harmful to her gender identity, and Compress had that whole 'my dad was a master thief' thing that sounded interesting.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Compress is a stage magician, there's no amount of "ills of society" or "awful childhood" that would make him anything other than a despicable monster.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Dabi will forgive the family as he's a pile of ash, only to reveal his quirk is Phoenix.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Funky Valentine posted:

Compress is a stage magician, there's no amount of "ills of society" or "awful childhood" that would make him anything other than a despicable monster.

I think compressing he own rear end helps.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

despite doing little to nothing the entire comic, compress remains the most entertaining villain because he had both panache and dignity, which no other villain has had except gentle criminal

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's kind of sad that Compress put on his greatest magic show ever by compressing his own rear end to help save the league but no one in the league gives a single poo poo about him at all besides Spinner.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
If you go back and read the rear end Compress arc you can see Compress’s originally planned storyline vanish before your very eyes.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Dabi plotline is by far the most interesting villain story. Shigaraki really fizzled when he became a vessel for whatever broken power he could make up and no clear focus or goals other than random distruction.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

TheHan posted:

If you go back and read the rear end Compress arc you can see Compress’s originally planned storyline vanish before your very eyes.

Poor Mr. Compress. He might have been the founding member of League of Villain, a genuinely dangerous and competent opponent and the son of the most famous thief who ever lived, but everyone will forever remember him as the guy who compressed his own rear end.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TheHan posted:

He tried to pull a new plot out of his rear end and forgot what his Quirk was?

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Eggplant Squire posted:

The Dabi plotline is by far the most interesting villain story. Shigaraki really fizzled when he became a vessel for whatever broken power he could make up and no clear focus or goals other than random distruction.

gently caress YOU DAD>edgy nihilism

It's hilarious how dabi's the favorite plotline after all the gnashing of teeth about even the potential of it being a thing a few years back

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
To be fair, Shigaraki's past and present issues are both "gently caress you dad" to a degree.

He just kinda killed one dad and is apparently cool with the other taking over his body now. Or something. I dunno.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Lt. Lizard posted:

Poor Mr. Compress. He might have been the founding member of League of Villain, a genuinely dangerous and competent opponent and the son of the most famous thief who ever lived, but everyone will forever remember him as the guy who compressed his own rear end.

Gluteus Deletus

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

gently caress yeah, happy 4/20 to our boy, Bakugo. :420:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://twitter.com/Atsushi101X/status/1517004362194853889?s=20&t=dCSmPbE0qrkw1waG3wn3Ow

I guess Horikoshi has his own quirk

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/2198/my-hero-academia-chapter-351

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pretty eh chapter imo, but it had one panel of Mina, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
the action heavy chapters never really do it for me since despite the art being very nice the composition is impossible for these old eyes to follow.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Especially given the powers in this chapter, it just doesn't look great in black and white. But still, some cool looking panels.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I mean, manga is a really bad medium for fights in general, to the point where I'm genuinely puzzled as to how this genre took off. I remember trying to read Hellsing like 10 years ago and literally staring at pages for minutes without being able to work out what was supposed to be going on in them. MHA isn't as extreme, but I'll still always prefer anime for fightboys shounen.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t think manga inherently sucks for action but you probably have to be really, really good at conveying action to make it flow as good as a well made cartoon like Akira Toriyama does.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Last Celebration posted:

I don’t think manga inherently sucks for action but you probably have to be really, really good at conveying action to make it flow as good as a well made cartoon like Akira Toriyama does.

Yeah it's this. Horikoshi can be really bad at action flow sometimes

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is about the most readable Horikoshi's action has ever been tbh, lol.

The thing to learn from Toriyama is that less is more- half of his efforts were literally just to draw less stuff.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Can’t remember who but I remember watching a video essay that really made me appreciate the effort toriyama puts into panel composition. things like the trail of someone’s aura as they fly in for an attack leading your eye across the page do a lot for helping make a dynamic but comprehensible action sequence.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TheHan posted:

Can’t remember who but I remember watching a video essay that really made me appreciate the effort toriyama puts into panel composition. things like the trail of someone’s aura as they fly in for an attack leading your eye across the page do a lot for helping make a dynamic but comprehensible action sequence.

https://manuelamalasanya.wordpress.com/2015/04/22/dragonball-art-fight/
https://manuelamalasanya.wordpress.com/2015/04/21/dragonball-art-2/

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Murata tends to do an excellent job with One-Punch man. I never find myself puzzling out the action--in this, however, even with clean rips, I often get lost.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Mymla posted:

I mean, manga is a really bad medium for fights in general, to the point where I'm genuinely puzzled as to how this genre took off. I remember trying to read Hellsing like 10 years ago and literally staring at pages for minutes without being able to work out what was supposed to be going on in them. MHA isn't as extreme, but I'll still always prefer anime for fightboys shounen.

Good thing we have 2 weeks to study these panels then, huh?

:negative:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheHan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJK7oysHoMw this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vigilantes 124

Hello Captain Celebrity and Polygraph Girl