Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
*puts down wrench* fiiiiiiine

Put the summers back on. Lowered the car back to summer height, alignment tomorrow. Only broke one stud. Long story short I am suffering because a mechanic stretched them all with an impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Majere posted:

Are y'all busy beating on your cars instead of posting?

I'm in the process of using my Subaru to move across town like the quality queermobile it is.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

rickiep00h posted:

I'm in the process of using my Subaru to move across town like the quality queermobile it is.

how many dogs?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Ok Comboomer posted:

how many dogs?

Three cats!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Majere posted:

I'm just waiting to see how Subaru dies.

* Nations and states across the entire world are drawing up legislation that bans the sale of primarily ICE-powered cars within the next ten years. Sayonara boxer.
* They only just decided to make a new WRX, there won't be an STI, and they STILL won't deign to give us a hatch.
* With electric propulsion, AWD becomes trivial to attain.
* Their modern interiors are crap and busy as gently caress, while they keep putting underpowered engines in crossovers.
* Eyesight is great and probably will transfer well to electric cars, but it's not like it's head and shoulders above the rest of the industry or anything.
* Gas prices. 'Nuff said.

Just gonna enjoy my subie until I can't drive it no more.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm just waiting to see how Subaru dies.

* Nations and states across the entire world are drawing up legislation that bans the sale of primarily ICE-powered cars within the next ten years. Sayonara boxer.
* They only just decided to make a new WRX, there won't be an STI, and they STILL won't deign to give us a hatch.
* With electric propulsion, AWD becomes trivial to attain.
* Their modern interiors are crap and busy as gently caress, while they keep putting underpowered engines in crossovers.
* Eyesight is great and probably will transfer well to electric cars, but it's not like it's head and shoulders above the rest of the industry or anything.
* Gas prices. 'Nuff said.

Just gonna enjoy my subie until I can't drive it no more.

Counterpoint: Subaru is 20% owned by Toyota and will benefit from Toyota’s massive investment in EV tech and manufacturing. It also is a very successful company saleswise with a strong brand identity and cachet, even if not always in the way that enthusiasts would like.

In the future, Subaru will probably be powered mostly by Toyota/Yamaha/etc drivetrain tech with a bit of their own ingredients and flavor mixed in. This will arguably be very sad for those who love the historically “unique” character of subarus but will also probably be a net positive, especially given how most of the recent drivetrains have felt/performed.

While obviously cars like Solterra and even the BRZ point to a future where every Subaru also has a Toyota twin, and probably one where every “uniquely Subaru” car shares a unified platform (I could envision a future where something like an EV RAV4 shares a platform with Outback & Forester, for example), I think we’ll still see Subaru/Toyota try to distinguish the brand in various ways that give it at least a nominal reason to stick around.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Other than being boxy, there will be zero reason to consider Subaru as an EV platform. They will have absolutely nothing to draw people into showrooms other than what they were in 2004 that they have been cruising with ever since. They lost foaming in the mouth fanboi like me and I am no where near the only one. And before you go but you are performace buyer..... oh gently caress off with that I've bought and owned the slow poo poo too and I loving love my long time owned boxy rear end slow as poo poo (at the moment) turd to death and I'm going to pounce on the right Gen 2 NA Forester (or hell, maybe even a early XV) as a replacement to the slow boxy still fun shitbox for shopping and driving to the station. If there was a genuine 2022 version of the Gen 1 Forester I'd be all over that poo poo - actually decent offroad, dual ratio manual, real diffs not the current electronic crap, tough as hell and a right blast to drive even as rear end backwards slow as it is.

I will not consider the 2022 or what is coming into the near future Subarus. If there's a new replacement, it's going to be Hyundai or Tesla. Or one of those GR Toyota things if it's actually possible to get one....... until then, I'm sticking with the old garbage that was actually good.

All hail Foresters esp ones I can salvage for spares and a oh my god is that an intact wiring loom?!?!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ok Comboomer posted:

In the future, Subaru will probably be powered mostly by Toyota/Yamaha/etc drivetrain tech with a bit of their own ingredients and flavor mixed in. This will arguably be very sad for those who love the historically “unique” character of subarus but will also probably be a net positive, especially given how most of the recent drivetrains have felt/performed.

That will probably be the most likely of the deaths I foresee. Being turned into a Toyota subsidiary, I mean. God knows every single Subaru could use a beefed-up Toyota K120 transmission for AWD, instead of what we have now. (Yes, I know. I've been beating this horse for years now.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 12, 2022

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I own both a 3000GT VR4 and a Legacy GT, plus my wife's Crosstrek. Owning fun cars from companies that forgot what fun was is kind of what I do.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Majere posted:

I am deciding if I want to do an STI RallyX project or buy a BRZ. I'm leaning towards the rear wheel drive, because that looks pretty fun.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Majere posted:

yes

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Counterpoint on the EV stuff: most Subaru buyers don’t know or care that their car even has a boxer engine or truly symmetrical AWD or what that even means. They like the cars because they are rugged, simple, and cheap. They don’t want the cars to be precious. Even if the buttons are cheap and plasticy, they are there, and not on a loving touchscreen. The environmental/outdoor aesthetic of Subaru blends well with EV’s of course. Enthusiasts will abandon Subaru when they offer nothing compelling, but EV’s are their game to lose for outdoorsy normies and those who are not tech-obsessed.

Majere posted:

Lesbian speedwagon is ready for its first track day on 5/1. Cusco plated rear LSD, STI steering rack with solid linkage, aluminum front LCA’s, whiteline roll center correction kit, and Fortune Auto 500’s installed. It’s about 3/4” lower. After an alignment it drives loving awesome. Super impressed with how nice the coilovers feel.

I swear to god I’ll post a thread about the whole thing some day….

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

i own every Bionicle posted:

Counterpoint on the EV stuff: most Subaru buyers don’t know or care that their car even has a boxer engine or truly symmetrical AWD or what that even means. They like the cars because they are rugged, simple, and cheap. They don’t want the cars to be precious. Even if the buttons are cheap and plasticy, they are there, and not on a loving touchscreen. The environmental/outdoor aesthetic of Subaru blends well with EV’s of course. Enthusiasts will abandon Subaru when they offer nothing compelling, but EV’s are their game to lose for outdoorsy normies and those who are not tech-obsessed.

don’t forget that there are Subaru enthusiasts (people who think about AWD architectures and engine balance and pine for the halcyon 2004-era Subaru) and Subaru enthusiasts (people who will pay extra for the Wilderness Edition of the Outback/Forester and/or who live in 2-3 Subaru households “because they’re the best in the snow” and/or who have SKI THE EAST and university stickers on the rear hatch of their CrossTrek)

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

gently caress yeah. Pulling the engine out from my spec.b Leggy...gotta see why it's shooting oil out the exhaust! Normally I would say its just bonus corrosion protection, but the exhaust is stainless already.

I have a new STI type RA shortblock on order already :D and half a garage full of parts to resto the drat thing.

Pretty sure the old heads will fit...? just like legos they said.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Majere posted:

gently caress yeah. Pulling the engine out from my spec.b Leggy...gotta see why it's shooting oil out the exhaust! Normally I would say its just bonus corrosion protection, but the exhaust is stainless already.

I have a new STI type RA shortblock on order already :D and half a garage full of parts to resto the drat thing.

Pretty sure the old heads will fit...? just like legos they said.

What year? I might have some parts that will fit, if you need anything. Feel free to shoot a PM!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Forgot to mention, this loving rules.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

What year? I might have some parts that will fit, if you need anything. Feel free to shoot a PM!

2008. What kinda stuff you got?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Majere posted:

2008. What kinda stuff you got?

I have some 740cc sidefeed injectors, fresh hard fuel lines and rails, and TGV’s, but being an 08 you don’t need that stuff because your car is top feed from the factory like the lord intended. I have set of fairly fresh front calipers and cryo-treated rotors with both street and track pads left over from my brembo swap.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sounds good. Yeah, I've got the budget brake upgrade, the Powerstop unpainted 4/2 pot STI calipers from rock auto. Had a friend paint them up real nice in hyper blue, and I made the decals. People still want like $2000 for busted old poo poo calipers with stripped threads, stuck bleeders, and failing paint because they have BREM-BRO on the sides.

Pretty sure it already has 740/750 DW injectors from when I bought it years ago. I don't think I would need any larger for a vf52. Might be interested in the fuel rails and lines if mine are scuzzy.

My tuner wants to get rid of the TGV's on the legacy and the new STI, is that really worth it?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Majere posted:

Sounds good. Yeah, I've got the budget brake upgrade, the Powerstop unpainted 4/2 pot STI calipers from rock auto. Had a friend paint them up real nice in hyper blue, and I made the decals. People still want like $2000 for busted old poo poo calipers with stripped threads, stuck bleeders, and failing paint because they have BREM-BRO on the sides.

Pretty sure it already has 740/750 DW injectors from when I bought it years ago. I don't think I would need any larger for a vf52. Might be interested in the fuel rails and lines if mine are scuzzy.

My tuner wants to get rid of the TGV's on the legacy and the new STI, is that really worth it?

Those look freaking awesome. I got genuine brembos used, they are in fair shape but work great. The paint is faded from a bunch of track use. I paid 700 for two front calipers, track pads, and rotors. Someday I’ll repaint them and sticker tbem.

TGV deletes get you anywhere from 5-20 whp/wtq depending on which nasioc career opinion haver you believe. It’s free power that doesn’t require more fuel, cooling, boost, etc so the only reason not to do it is to save money or hassle or if you want to leave it stock and not tune it. If you are rebuilding the engine anyway, I don’t see why you’d skip it. You can spend a shitload of money on trick machined parts, medium money on JDM housings (JDM cars didn’t get TGV’s), or very little money gutting and plugging them yourself.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Not a directly comparable situation, but when I replaced the FA20DIT short block on my WRX, I deleted the TGV and EGR for a whopping gain of 6hp.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Alright so it's something you'd do while you had all this apart, not take it all apart just to do this.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Question about "fluid packing" the new oil seals on my SVX. The diagram shows what looks like a grease gun and an oil bottle pointed at that part, grease towards the inside, oil towards the outside. I've heard people saying you're supposed to use silicone sealant on those, but there's another pictogram for sealant and it's not pointing there. Does grease on the inside of the seal (where it contacts the camshaft/crankshaft) and oil on the outside (where it contacts the engine block) make sense? I really don't want to have to do this poo poo again.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

AC on my 17 WRX has gone right as we enter into summer. :sigh: Anyone else have issues with theirs and know if there are any simple checks to make before taking it to a mechanic?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Does the compressor still kick on when you turn on max AC? If it does, make sure the pump is actually spinning and not just the pulley. If it's not, you need to add shims to the clutch, if it doesn't the system pressure may be too low which disables the pump as a safety feature. If your pressure is low, then you most probably have a leak. There are two ways to address it. One is a bandage the other is a fix. Add more refrigerant to bring the pressure up to turn the compressor back on. If it's a leak obviously you'll have to keep adding refrigerant which will get expensive quickly. The other is to take it to a shop that specializes in AC repair to look for the leak and replace parts as needed before charging the system.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

net work error posted:

AC on my 17 WRX has gone right as we enter into summer. :sigh: Anyone else have issues with theirs and know if there are any simple checks to make before taking it to a mechanic?

fuses first. then compressor operation like 'um excuse me' said. The small cans w/stop leak from the auto parts store work pretty good for a quick fix, if it indeed is a touch low on cold juice (not for completely discharged/open/giant leaks system, just adding a bit to bring the pressure up for the compressor to kick on). used one on my leggy years ago and still blows cold.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The single biggest real cause of ringlands going bang is about to stop

https://www.cobbtuning.com/green-speed-update-april-2022/

So many accessports suddenly for sale

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Lol rip.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Meanwhile, the Tactrix folks are probably having a field day.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just waiting for the weird loophole or grey market solution to this. Killing the tuner market is probably another nail in the coffin for ICE only vehicles.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Yeah I’m wondering how this is going to play out. So many builds are really dependent on the Accessport doing what it originally was sold to do, mine included. I think best case scenario is that you will still be able to tune and drive your car, but you will have CEL’s for TGV deletes or whatever other stuff you change which means no inspection sticker. I wonder if high flow catted downpipes will be able to pass even. Flex fuel is gone too. Looks like they removed speed density tuning from the GT-R even. Really, stage 1 tunes on a stock car seem to be the least affected.

Going to open source is fine and good but the Accessport was important for monitoring stuff…I won’t track my car without being able to watch boost, DAM, and FKL.

gently caress

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Darknet tuning software is going to be cyberpunk as gently caress.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

hobbesmaster posted:

Darknet tuning software is going to be cyberpunk as gently caress.

It’s already here, it’s called RomRaider and a Tactrix cable, and there’s a reason most people run an Accessport instead.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like they're onto something already.

The internal discussion they describe to be having this week in other posts is probably more about liability than capability, if I were to guess.

Edit: SD = Speed Density tuning
FF = Flex Fuel

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 19, 2022

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

:rip: Acessport, you were fun while you lasted

Accesstuner already got nerfed a while back. I remember being able to DIY a lot of stuff with the version you got access to by just having an accessport, and prior to this latest change a lot of those features got locked behind a paywall in the form of their tuning course.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

It’s already here, it’s called RomRaider and a Tactrix cable, and there’s a reason most people run an Accessport instead.

Yes, Romraider make it absolutly clear it's your fault if you detonate the motor unlike Accessport which makes it easy to blame Subaru.

That might be snarky but it's also true - The number of engines gone bang with an accessport that dont get tracked should be an eyebrow raiser

The other solution is to go with a full ecu from Haltech / Link etc, dyno time and end up with a better solution. Costs more but Accessport is third rate (or ECUTek, thats a pile of poo poo too - gently caress you MRT for introducing that poo poo to Australia) - it's worth doing the job properly. Also if you want to do it yourself, a Link ain't that expensive and the software is quite good with starting tables availible.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
gently caress ECUTek and the whole community that surrounds being locked into a few canned tuned 'artists'

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Could you use an custom tune to squeeze more efficiency out of the engine? I am not taking for granted that gas prices won't either stay above $5 or go back above $5 again due to any number of reasons.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Custom tune around these parts is $600. ROI is probably measured in years of miserable driving. Adjusting driving habits is free and will probably do more.

If you want a taste, just drive around in vallet mode for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Could you use an custom tune to squeeze more efficiency out of the engine? I am not taking for granted that gas prices won't either stay above $5 or go back above $5 again due to any number of reasons.

Considering every manufacturer pulls every trick they can to squeeze every last 10th of a MPG out of their cars to bring down their fleet average for CAFE I'm quite sure the answer is "no". At least not in any way you'd want to drive it.