Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Relevant:

big scary monsters posted:

But of course following the scientific consensus requires trusted channels by which that advice is propagated, and if you can't trust your government for instance, how do you best access the latest and greatest scientific findings without trying to read the journals and interpreting the results yourself?

There's also the problem that even a theoretical perfectly trustworthy and benevolent government that aims to propagate the best possible advice does not have your personal best interests in mind - it considers the interests of the population at large.
That's why the greatest determinant of how well a society manages the pandemic appears not to be left vs right, nor traditional vs progressive, nor individualist vs communitarian, but in how much we trust one another. Even trust in government is far less important than belief that the person next door wants to do the right thing, even if they don't have access to the best information or analysis.

This is also why psychic dominators are probably a bad way of combating covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

But of course following the scientific consensus requires trusted channels by which that advice is propagated, and if you can't trust your government for instance, how do you best access the latest and greatest scientific findings without trying to read the journals and interpreting the results yourself?

Google scholar, SciHub, rank journals by impact factor, rank authors by h-index and professional credentials, read articles and evaluate the arguments from a basis of rationality, ask people on forums if you don't understand what terms mean. Knowledge is very accessible, if you have the time and motivation

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hate to interrupt the mask chat, but does anyone know a decent place to buy men's belts? I've always gone to M&S whenever I had a gift card, but my waistband has shrunk just enough to hit a range they literally don't make belts in, and I'd rather not unwittingly buy something that's either made of cardboard or comically overpriced or both.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OwlFancier posted:

Again just thinking about it for five minutes makes it hard to see how a mask that attaches to your face better and has a better filter medium could be no different from one with neither, even if not perfectly fitted?

Because things aren't measured like that regarding respiratory protection. A fail is a fail. Someone working as a carpenter wearing a mask that doesn't fit will still go home with a nose full of dust. Does having the mask on reduce the amount of dust he snorts up? Yes and no. While it reduces the immediate impact of getting smacked in the face by stuff coming out the dust port, The person is going to spend longer in the dusty environment because it is less obvious they're breathing it in.

That's where the perception of safety causes the biggest issues and is really dangerous with things like asbestos work.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I had one of these but idk if they still make them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE0Sw974ag4

e: Important to note that it offers no protection against asbestos.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

Because things aren't measured like that regarding respiratory protection. A fail is a fail. Someone working as a carpenter wearing a mask that doesn't fit will still go home with a nose full of dust. Does having the mask on reduce the amount of dust he snorts up? Yes and no. While it reduces the immediate impact of getting smacked in the face by stuff coming out the dust port, The person is going to spend longer in the dusty environment because it is less obvious they're breathing it in.

That's where the perception of safety causes the biggest issues and is really dangerous with things like asbestos work.

I would suggest that wearing a better mask is not going to make me spend more time at work, for fun. So that is probably not as applicable.

Dabir posted:

Hate to interrupt the mask chat, but does anyone know a decent place to buy men's belts? I've always gone to M&S whenever I had a gift card, but my waistband has shrunk just enough to hit a range they literally don't make belts in, and I'd rather not unwittingly buy something that's either made of cardboard or comically overpriced or both.

Buy yourself a set of braces, I got a nice pair from moss bros for xmas and they are miles better than a belt, cos they actually hold your kecks up rather than tormenting your organs.

If you don't mind sewing buttons on your trousers then button on ones are better than clip ons, but the pair I have do both, and for light trousers the clips have been working quite well.

Alternatively, buy a leather punch and put more holes in your existing ones? If your issue is being too small then you should just be able to add more holes closer to the buckle.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 22, 2022

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Does crime seem to be going up where anyone else lives? Where I am (village in West Kent) we seem to be having a bona-fide crime wave. Tools have been stolen from my next door neighbours van, another neighbours stupid BMW SUV was stolen two days ago, and last night my daughters nursery was burgled. There have been a bunch of other thefts locally as well - fortunately all low risk, high reward stuff which would be unlikely to result in violence.

Just weird that in the last 4 years since I moved here, there's been basically no crime that I've been aware of, and now it feels like my village is under some kind of targeted attack.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I just drill holes in my belts with a normal drill.

Maybe we should insist on means to reduce likelihood of transmission between people. Things like on a train you have to have a short person then a tall person then a short person and so on to minimise people breathing too directly at one another.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That sounds like there is A Person Stealing Things In The Village and probably does not constitute a societal trend.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

I would suggest that wearing a better mask is not going to make me spend more time at work, for fun. So that is probably not as applicable.

Buy yourself a set of braces, I got a nice pair from moss bros for xmas and they are miles better than a belt, cos they actually hold your kecks up rather than tormenting your organs.

If you don't mind sewing buttons on your trousers then button on ones are better than clip ons, but the pair I have do both, and for light trousers the clips have been working quite well.

Alternatively, buy a leather punch and put more holes in your existing ones? If your issue is being too small then you should just be able to add more holes closer to the buckle.

I punched a hole in my belt with a screwdriver and you can't even tell when it's on me. :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

I punched a hole in my belt with a screwdriver and you can't even tell when it's on me. :shrug:

Yeah you could do it with anything approximating a punch and die, just don't stab yourself in the hand trying it. Honestly the grippy leather punches are a bit miserable to use so if you can just get something to hit with a hammer over a block of wood or something that would probably be more pleasant to use.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Failed Imagineer posted:

Google scholar, SciHub, rank journals by impact factor, rank authors by h-index and professional credentials, read articles and evaluate the arguments from a basis of rationality, ask people on forums if you don't understand what terms mean. Knowledge is very accessible, if you have the time and motivation

Sure, it's possible to do that in principle. I work as a research scientist and would like to think I have a better than average ability to do that kind of research and interpret the results. But it takes a lot of time, and inevitably in a research area that is responding to a recent crisis you get a lot of conflicting studies because we're still building a base of evidence and understanding. Then you need to be able to tell a well performed study from a bad one, assess the statistical power of the results, decide whether reported effects actually have a well evidenced mechanic, understand if the cohort and environment being studied is representative and/or matches your own circumstances, and so on. Hopefully the paper you're reading has a good discussion section that covers this stuff.

These are problems that the scientific community at large struggles with: we know from meta-analyses that underpowered or biased studies are sadly common even in quite good journals and most reported results are not reproduced and checked. You might hope that a global pandemic with effectively unlimited research funding would get better scrutiny than usual, but it's still difficult for one person to grasp all this.

Personally I know I don't have the time or ability to really stay abreast of this one topic, important though it is, let alone do the same for every new crisis du jour.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 22, 2022

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

That sounds like there is A Person Stealing Things In The Village and probably does not constitute a societal trend.

You seem to know a lot about these thefts for an innocent person. Where were you last night and how do you explain all these well gummed sippy cups you have?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I wish covid was a crisis du jour

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
De la décennie? Doesn't quite have the same ring.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Dabir posted:

zack hunter belts

they make belts out of decent quality leather rather than layers of cheap poo poo or fake plasticy bullshit and with a bit of care they will last years and years- if they don't go small enough just grab an awl or punch or drill or whatever and make some more holes also they don't cost too much given how long they last

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

zack hunter belts

they make belts out of decent quality leather rather than layers of cheap poo poo or fake plasticy bullshit and with a bit of care they will last years and years- if they don't go small enough just grab an awl or punch or drill or whatever and make some more holes also they don't cost too much given how long they last

Cheers, I'll look into them.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Dabir posted:

Cheers, I'll look into them.

I'm on my second and the first one is still very serviceable- at first the leather will be quite hard and stiff but it will soften up with a little time and wear

After a few years if it starts to look a bit worn, or it looks dried out etc slather on some cheap leather feed stuff (I use stuff meant for my sofa) and put it in a ziploc bag over a radiator or somewhere else warm for a day or two to get it soaked in good, clean it up and dry it off and it will look great

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sure, it's possible to do that in principle. I work as a research scientist and would like to think I have a better than average ability to do that kind of research and interpret the results. But it takes a lot of time, and inevitably in a research area that is responding to a recent crisis you get a lot of conflicting studies because we're still building a base of evidence and understanding. Then you need to be able to tell a well performed study from a bad one, assess the statistical power of the results, decide whether reported effects actually have a well evidenced mechanic, understand if the cohort and environment being studied is representative and/or matches your own circumstances, and so on. Hopefully the paper you're reading has a good discussion section that covers this stuff.

These are problems that the scientific community at large struggles with: we know from meta-analyses that underpowered or biased studies are sadly common even in quite good journals and most reported results are not reproduced and checked. You might hope that a global pandemic with effectively unlimited research funding would get better scrutiny than usual, but it's still difficult for one person to grasp all this.

Personally I know I don't have the time or ability to really stay abreast of this one topic, important though it is, let alone do the same for every new crisis du jour.

All true, but you can just discard papers that don't clearly discuss their results because they're most certainly poo poo. On a hot topic you can discard everything in journals with an impact factor below idk 15 as well, why not.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I've never been so ultratwink that my waist is too small for all belts, but anyway I just always use a crappy surfer/skater belt which adjusts to your exact current size, and as a bonus the buckle is also a bottle opener :dukedog:

Interested in the new world of leather belts that you have to lube up and hide behind the radiator tho.

For suits, you should be getting them made or tailored so they don't need a belt, and the little side adjusters can do the fine adjustment, but suspenders are a decent backup

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

gently caress I'd love to be that skinny. I have a 41 inch waist, my problem is that M&S sell 38-40 (doesn't fit at all) and 42-44 (doesn't hold my trousers up) with nothing in between.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I feel like another issue is that 'cloth masks' includes those synthetic material ones, double layer cotton ones and the weird bamboo natural antibacterial ones. Don't all 3 have different levels of germ retention? They do for socks so I would imagine masks are similar.

Also, we go back to masks protecting you from catching it being mostly ineffective, whereas the reason you wear a mask is to protect others in case you have it. Making it very much a public issue the government should be enforcing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have always just bought an oversize leather belt rather than a cardboard one as you say those are crap, and just poke more holes in it until it fits.

Has to be oversize because you can't make holes further than the leather goes.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

buy a ratchet belt, like having a big cable tie that you can pull tight to the needed size

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Importantly with a little lever or button to undo that. Do not use a big cable tie as a belt.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Jogging suit trousers with the strings. But don't wear them to non uniform day everyone will say you've come to school in your pyjamas and laugh at you. For the next 7 years.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The Perfect Element posted:

Does crime seem to be going up where anyone else lives? Where I am (village in West Kent) we seem to be having a bona-fide crime wave. Tools have been stolen from my next door neighbours van, another neighbours stupid BMW SUV was stolen two days ago, and last night my daughters nursery was burgled. There have been a bunch of other thefts locally as well - fortunately all low risk, high reward stuff which would be unlikely to result in violence.

Just weird that in the last 4 years since I moved here, there's been basically no crime that I've been aware of, and now it feels like my village is under some kind of targeted attack.

Not lately, but definitely pre-covid our local FB group was full of details of suspicious looking people spending an inordinate amount of time hovering around garden sheds and white vans, and reports of trades' persons' tools being robbed from said vans and sheds, and fuzzy images from CCTV cameras in shops of people who had 'forgotten' to pay for things before leaving (and not to be clothes and hairist but most of the women in such images had high 'Vicky Pollard' style ponytails, hip length faux leather blousy style jackets - all the better to stuff things inside - with knitted cuffs, and leggings.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Dabir posted:

gently caress I'd love to be that skinny. I have a 41 inch waist, my problem is that M&S sell 38-40 (doesn't fit at all) and 42-44 (doesn't hold my trousers up) with nothing in between.

Buy the bigger one and punch a hole? That's what I do with belts. Then you've got room to eat a pizza too without cutting yourself in half like a wasp. (Dunno about anyone else but if I eat pizza, my waist expands about 6 inches without 30 minutes and doesn't go down for hours. Probably an intolerance of some sort.)

Or try a non M&S shop? I can't shop in there because they assume all women have mini waists and ginormous hips that require giant saddlebags on the side of jeans etc to accommodate. If you're the other way round, never will anything fit. Fit the hips, then the two halves of the zip do not meet by a considerable amount, fit the waist and you look like you're a wanna-be teen boy with the crotch hanging down round the knees.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 22, 2022

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Bought a belt from some market in London 6 or 7 years ago, asked the guy if they had one in a smaller size & he just took one look at me & cut down & refastened the buckle end, took him 10 seconds

Am literally wearing it now, & I've worn out at least 2 supermarket belts since

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The Perfect Element posted:

Sounds like traveling robbers. Not as in travelers, just those that go targeting small town to town.
This happens in rural areas in NI and the south, nothing would happen for years, then poo poo gets stolen from a few houses, then the next town over gets the same thing a week or so later.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Sitting in a spit and sawdust listening to a bunch of guys who live paycheque to paycheque reckoning that Boris is the best PM we’ve ever had, migrants go home, no one has had problems like Boris since Churchill, everyone was having parties during lockdown anyway, miserable wankers stringing him up, boats in the channel, why don’t those people stay in France instead of coming to England, send those fuckers to Rwanda, how many more can we take, we’re an island after all!

gently caress me. Bitterly depressing.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1517492461127577603

:allears:

https://twitter.com/Parody_PM/status/1517555031964364803

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jeherrin posted:

Sitting in a spit and sawdust listening to a bunch of guys who live paycheque to paycheque reckoning that Boris is the best PM we’ve ever had, migrants go home, no one has had problems like Boris since Churchill, everyone was having parties during lockdown anyway, miserable wankers stringing him up, boats in the channel, why don’t those people stay in France instead of coming to England, send those fuckers to Rwanda, how many more can we take, we’re an island after all!

This country is beyond redemption, tbh

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

This country is beyond redemption, tbh

The brainworms are real.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

'There may be troubles, ahead....'

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1517559498956804103

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Send in the tanks, the only thing wrong with thatcher is that she ran out of nerve

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jeherrin posted:

Johnson absolutely has his finger on the pulse of the racist scum salt of the earth legends who will eagerly pull the lever for him to Make Grate Britane Grate Again

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Peaceful military invasion of Ireland is on lads. Time to show that Putin how to really deal with a neighbour that thinks you're a total oval office by proving it and then falling on your arse.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Peaceful military invasion of Ireland is on lads. Time to show that Putin how to really deal with a neighbour that thinks you're a total oval office by proving it and then falling on your arse.

I've had like 5 separate pub conversations about this happening in the last couple of months.

:jihad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I love to go to the internet in the UK, it's my favourite place to stay safe while having fun with my pals!