Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
For kickboxing, anything with a cage that's finer than the gloves would work.
Clear plate: https://www.titleboxing.com/title-faceshield-no-contact-headgear-2-0

Cage: https://revgear.com/premier-headgear-with-face-shield-1/
https://www.titleboxing.com/protection/headgear/no-contact-headgear/title-boxing-universal-no-contact-headgear-2-0

If you're really worried about fingers, might need a full cover, like so:
https://www.sakuramartialarts.com/Martial_Arts_Protect_Gear_Headgear_Face_Shield_p/pro-4015-a1.htm
Might be a real annoyance or danger when you get grappled around the neck or on the head.

I have no experience with any of these, but did have an eye injury at one point where I was considering it.
There's more sport-specifc options for karate, but those are coated foam and don't seem to be designed for continuous striking.
I ended up with a headgear with a nosebar, which (coupled with extra effort to slip/dodge punches) reduced most contact with my eyes. But I did still get occasional unlucky shots where the edge or corner of a glove would poke through the gap and hit my eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

CommonShore posted:

Ah yeah it's more of a "same questions, similar answers" situation

Check out bareknuckle boxing from HEMA people at some point; the lack of padded gloves makes it surprisingly Wing Chun like.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Xand_Man posted:

Check out bareknuckle boxing from HEMA people at some point; the lack of padded gloves makes it surprisingly Wing Chun like.

Archie Moore was trained by a bare knuckle guy (supposedly, records aren't great) and he built a system with a lot of stuff that is sorta like what I've seen from wing Chun guys.

I think Bernard Hopkins does too but he's a more modern fighter so further down the road from that bareknuckle style.

Also interesting is that Archie has some atavistic components that he couldn't do in boxing rules but would be pretty savage: like rolling off a straight and countering with a blind side backhanded hammer fist. Waiting for Robbie Lawler 2.0 to show up and start doing that poo poo to people.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So we have a young guy at our club. He's about 12-13 years old, kinda chunky, about as athletic as a corpse and zero sense of balance/coordination. Looks a lot like Chunk from that 80s movie, The Goonies.

We were doing a pump kick drill, which is a sparring move for creating distance and potentially getting a point if the opportunity arises. Think of a side kick, but keeping the kicking leg up and continually kicking while moving (generally forward but sometimes backward if you have someone still attacking). There is some balance and coordination required, of which the kid has zero and goes totally to spazz mode. Like, drops arms, flailing around like he's having a seizure, leg basically kicking in every direction except the way it's supposed to go and cannot do it well to save his life.

BUT, he tries, so we instruct and try to help/correct him... and maybe some very minimal improvement each time.

I was talking to my Master off to the side about him during this and he had a really insightful comment that I never thought about, and I think it's transferable to a lot of martial arts and in all reality, probably life skills.

He said "Yeah, he probably can't walk and chew gum at the same time but he has promise."

This kind of surprised me a bit, so I asked him what he sees because the kid looks like a total wreck to me.

He said a lot of people, even those with genuine athletic natural talent (maybe especially those), drop out of TKD when it starts to actually get tough. Which, for us is typically the green belt level. That's when testing becomes more rigorous, more advanced techniques are taught, and most people wash out because it gets hard and requires effort and dedication when you actually have to "learn" and not just use your natural skills for the basic techniques so people leave.

He said, and this is the part I never thought of, is people like him (and I see some of this in me because I am NOT a natural) is that it's always hard, and a struggle right from the beginning. White, yellow and up. So when it gets tough, you work and learn. But the catch is you've always had to do it, so it's always been a challenge. Being difficult and out of your comfort zone is the norm when training.

For others with more natural ability, it's probably new to them to have to actually work hard, get corrected over and over and they may not find it fun anymore, so they get frustrated and leave instead of working hard hence the wave of leaving around green.

I found that insightful and probably has a lot of parallels to life in general, like school, marriage, you name it. I told him I feel that. He kinda laughed and said maybe a bit, but at least I have some natural athletic ability.

Anyhow, I thought that was and interesting way to look at it. Thanks for listening to my ted talk.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 26, 2022

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Perseverance is easily the most important quality in martial arts.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That indeed makes a lot of sense but I never thought about it like the way he put it. I thought it was an insightful spin.... Although others probably thought of it that way and I am just dense :smith:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is why I get mad at people who whine about participation trophies, because showing up is literally the hardest part.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's a great story; I've heard similar things before: I read somewhere that natural talents in music rarely become truly great because they didn't practice much at the start and it turns out that, over ten and twenty and thirty years practice matters much more than talent.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

slidebite posted:

[snip]

Anyhow, I thought that was and interesting way to look at it. Thanks for listening to my ted talk.

This is a good story, thanks for sharing.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Oh yeah, we have quite a few kids and adults at our school exactly like that. Actually, my wife's friends that got my son and I to start going are all exactly like that (mom, dad, son). SUPER nice people, but basically the opposite of athletic.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Had an interesting one the other day. Class started like normal and we went through warm ups, drills, patterns.

Then the BBs in attendance were all called to the front of the floor (strange).

Then all BB Candidates were summoned to the middle of the floor, and everyone else was told to either quietly train or watch. 7 of us that were there are looking at each other like.. this....can't be good.

Master says "Slidebite, to the center."

Well. poo poo.

Place is silent. I feel all eyes on me including the spectators/parents for some of the teenagers. Nobody is training.

Tells me to do one of my patterns I need to do for BB testing (Choong Moo).

He's quizzing us on patterns. We just finished drills and patterns in class, so I am already just spent. But I give it my best.

Then the other (Hwa Rrang). This isn't just a quiz - he's giving us part of a mock test with no warning.

Then he calls a random one... Joong Gun (blue belt pattern).

I'm drenched and exhausted, but I did them with power and full effort.

Nods at me, tells me to sit down and he repeats with the other candidates, but mixing up the random one to one of any 7 patterns.

4 of the 7 candidates had serious problems, like turning the wrong way, and 3 of those choked very badly as in totally forgot something. I was surprised I didn't because I typically don't do well with something like this being sprung on me.

This takes about 30 minutes or so. End of it he says, "Well folks, we've got about a 50% failure rate right out of the gate with a month to go. If you can't get through your patterns without serious problems, you're not passing. Get working." Got a bit of feedback on what could have used improvement, but I am pretty sure I would have passed the pattern portion if that were real as I had nothing major and I'm pretty happy in general how it went. So go me I guess?

Also, learned something interesting:

After my testing in June we are doing a senior BB test (4+ Dan) in July. Found out Grand Master CK Choi (on of the original TKD masters and all around super nice man) is coming and will personally be in attendance for the testing. He actually helped create some of the Chang Hon patterns that are practiced today so it's a pretty big honor.

We will have something like 6 or 7 of these senior people test from various schools reaching out to about 200 miles around us, but 2 of them are masters (a 6th testing and a 7th) which promises to be cool as hell and really only happens maybe once every ~9-10 years. I hope I have my BB for then because it would be quite the honor to be seated up front with him and the other BBs for this and potentially partake in some of their testing in some way.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Man we had to do this poo poo today where we put these little barricade things up (about half-2/3 as high as your shin), then first had to do a flat jump over the thing, , land, do a side kick, then jump back. Repeat a bunch, then switch sides and repeat a bunch THEN do a jumping side kick over it and jump back. I loving SUCK at flat jumps apparently and was gassed after a few. Need to find some kind of way to get better at those.

In fun news, I registered myself and my son for a big tournament coming up in July. This is the biggest one that we do, and I'm pretty excited about it. I'm gonna try to go into a stricter diet and training routine before that so I'm not wasted after sparring; we'll see.

Slide, that sounds pretty insane and stressful; do you think you passed your part?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh god, jumping stuff like that wears you out for sure. Kind of like my fit test, it's simple enough, but do it over and over again. I would totally smack into something as high as 2/3 up my shin doing a jumping kicks from a standstill and probably land on my face so good on you if you can.

For me it wasn't really a pass/fail, it was more of a TRAP SPRUNG thing to see how well we do under pressure. I think I did OK. I did it at least without forgetting anything and my technique has really improved, so pretty sure I did alright or at least acceptable. He didn't shake his head at me and roll his eyes so that's good. One of my fellow candidates I'm pretty tight with is exceptionally talented on technique and does patterns better than almost anyone and she nitpicked a couple things, but nothing huge. Like when I did my mid knife blocks I kinda swung my arms up in an arc and didn't just bring them back-->front more at chest height crisply. I don't think that's a fail thing, but it is something I can do better. I was just exhausted and an easy way to bring power to your blocks is a swing/momentum. But it's kinda sloppy, that move should be more karate like (with us at least). A few of my stances weren't as long and wide as they could have been BUT they weren't bad. I've worked really hard on my stances the past few months and it's been paying off. Actually we had a 5th Dan instructor from out of town teach yesterday (he hasn't done one of our classes in about a year) and he made a point of telling me how good my patterns looked, so that made me feel pretty good.

Good luck with the tourney! I'm sure if you train harder and work on your for even a month or two beforehand you'll notice a big difference.

I'm not sure how many more tournaments I have in me. :(

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

slidebite posted:

So we have a young guy at our club. He's about 12-13 years old, kinda chunky, about as athletic as a corpse and zero sense of balance/coordination. Looks a lot like Chunk from that 80s movie, The Goonies.

We were doing a pump kick drill, which is a sparring move for creating distance and potentially getting a point if the opportunity arises. Think of a side kick, but keeping the kicking leg up and continually kicking while moving (generally forward but sometimes backward if you have someone still attacking). There is some balance and coordination required, of which the kid has zero and goes totally to spazz mode. Like, drops arms, flailing around like he's having a seizure, leg basically kicking in every direction except the way it's supposed to go and cannot do it well to save his life.

BUT, he tries, so we instruct and try to help/correct him... and maybe some very minimal improvement each time.

I was talking to my Master off to the side about him during this and he had a really insightful comment that I never thought about, and I think it's transferable to a lot of martial arts and in all reality, probably life skills.

He said "Yeah, he probably can't walk and chew gum at the same time but he has promise."

This kind of surprised me a bit, so I asked him what he sees because the kid looks like a total wreck to me.

He said a lot of people, even those with genuine athletic natural talent (maybe especially those), drop out of TKD when it starts to actually get tough. Which, for us is typically the green belt level. That's when testing becomes more rigorous, more advanced techniques are taught, and most people wash out because it gets hard and requires effort and dedication when you actually have to "learn" and not just use your natural skills for the basic techniques so people leave.

He said, and this is the part I never thought of, is people like him (and I see some of this in me because I am NOT a natural) is that it's always hard, and a struggle right from the beginning. White, yellow and up. So when it gets tough, you work and learn. But the catch is you've always had to do it, so it's always been a challenge. Being difficult and out of your comfort zone is the norm when training.

For others with more natural ability, it's probably new to them to have to actually work hard, get corrected over and over and they may not find it fun anymore, so they get frustrated and leave instead of working hard hence the wave of leaving around green.

I found that insightful and probably has a lot of parallels to life in general, like school, marriage, you name it. I told him I feel that. He kinda laughed and said maybe a bit, but at least I have some natural athletic ability.

huh...that actually makes a lot of sense!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so i got a bit of a weird question...

i haven't posted in this thread in a LONG time. i've been wanting to do some martial art forever and after checking out the options, i finally settled on boxing. this was back in 2012. joined a boxing gym that i really liked for a few months but had to quit cause i got a full time job that overlapped with the hours that gym. for a variety of reasons afterwards, i hadn't had a chance to join any other boxing gyms since. now i'd finally like to go back to it.

but there's some problems...

since 2012 i developed some unfortunate health issues. i got a bit of tinnitus around 2015 in both ears. it's not terrible or anything (yet), and honestly i only notice is when there's basically pin drop silence. however, what i absolutely DON'T want to do is make it worse. i'm scared that any punches to the ears (and i imagine there will be a LOT) will effect it negatively.

furthermore, as if that wasn't annoying enough, i had a history of gum disease since i was a kid that i didn't get a chance to properly take care of until also around 2015. why do i mention this? because said gum disease has destroyed half my supporting bone. my teeth are still solid, and i can bite and eat most things without too much trouble, but like i said, their foundation is much weaker. i know we'll be wearing mouth guards, but i'm wondering if even that will be enough to protect my teeth in their condition.

so with all that said, should i still go back to boxing?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Both are really questions for your doctor/dentist.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ugh, sounds crappy man.

Like ^^ that's for your Dr, unless someone here is an incognito ENT physician and feels comfortable with an internet prognosis.

I suspect a mouth guard would certainly help but if you literally lost half the bone in your jaw getting rocked with an uppercut from a grown man is going to put a poo poo-ton of force through your head, mouth guard or not.

Personally, I'd probably be looking at the grappling/take down type sports which aren't strike/punch heavy... and even then run it past your health professionals.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 2, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Yeah, I'd avoid boxing with all those issues. I'll also add on that with that tinnitus (which I also have from too many years of punk rock and heavy metal) you should avoid flashier styles of TKD since spin kicks will gently caress up your equilibrium. We sometimes do drill where we do 5-10 in a row then switch sides and do 5-10 more, then switch back again and again and there are times where I feel like I'm going to vomit.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm going to take the other side of this and say that if you're doing no- or low-contact boxing that it can be relatively low impact. At grappling I end up taking more unexpected/uncontrolled impacts than I do when I'm practicing striking.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

i've been wanting to do some martial art forever and after checking out the options, i finally settled on boxing. this was back in 2012. joined a boxing gym that i really liked for a few months but had to quit cause i got a full time job that overlapped with the hours that gym. for a variety of reasons afterwards, i hadn't had a chance to join any other boxing gyms since. now i'd finally like to go back to it.

like i said, their foundation is much weaker. i know we'll be wearing mouth guards, but i'm wondering if even that will be enough to protect my teeth in their condition.
What are you looking to get out of boxing, and how much would you enjoy it if you limited sparring?
A good gym (and you shouldn't stay at one that isn't) will have a sparring culture that limits how hard people go. Of course you'll still occasionally run into a punch and make it especially hard even when going light. What I'm saying is that with experienced, responsible sparring partners, you can drastically cut down on how much damage you take to the jaw.

You should talk to your dentist, and I'll throw one thing out there -- it's possible training and sparring with a mouthguard in place can lead you to developing some teething grinding when you sleep. Like just the added habit of biting down on it as you take punches. If you're already wearing a retainer overnight, that would help.
But just pointing out there's possibly extra load to your teeth/jaw from developing the muscle memory of sparring.

quote:

so with all that said, should i still go back to boxing?
You should at least try out a gym and do everything up to the sparring and see how it feels.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

kimbo305 posted:

What are you looking to get out of boxing, and how much would you enjoy it if you limited sparring?
A good gym (and you shouldn't stay at one that isn't) will have a sparring culture that limits how hard people go. Of course you'll still occasionally run into a punch and make it especially hard even when going light. What I'm saying is that with experienced, responsible sparring partners, you can drastically cut down on how much damage you take to the jaw.
I think that's true and super important, but it's risk reward. Nobody at my club (and I assume *most* others) ever tries to injure, but people get hurt. It just happens.

Like you said, you can cut the risk by sparring with experienced partners, but I've had broken ribs and black eyes from even experienced partners... not from the other person being careless, just sometimes someone moves (especially the recipient in my experience) in a way not planned and an "oh poo poo" moment happens even with all the good intentions. But that's me.

I still think a frank discussion with your Dr and potentially dentist would be worth having.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I have a good friend who is a brilliant martial artist. He was good enough he could have gone semi/pro in kickboxing rule sets but he has a rare ocular condition because of a nasty spin kick he took to the side of the head. His doctor told him if gets hit again like that he will go blind. My friend, being a reasonable person with a wife and daughter to love and support, no longer does sparring as part of his training. You can tell it bothers him, but it’s the right choice.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sometimes that's just how it's got to be. I really enjoyed SCA heavy fighting back in the day, but got told I'd had enough concussions in my life and needed to quit getting hit in the head for fun.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

*Something* on me is constantly hurt from class to varying degrees. Fingers, toes, bruised shins/forearms, sore hips, etc. At this point I'm coming up on a year in and turning 47 in a couple of days, I've just learned to deal with it, take it as a lesson to either improve on what I was doing where I got hurt or focus better on a hit that got me. That shoulder poo poo I took on Saturday is friggin KILLING me right now though and could barely do burpees last night.

ANYWAY, here's a technique question for you guys: We learn to punch leading with the top 2 knuckles of the fist. This was initially counter-intuitive since I'd read Tao of Jeet Kun Do when I was younger and Lee goes on about when you punch straight that you should focus the impact on the bottom 3 knuckles. This makes anatomical sense to me as if you're doing it leading with the pinky knuckle, you're creating a straight line down your ulna. Leading with the top 2 was explained in class as a safety thing to protect the ulna from boxer fractures, which also makes sense from a business point of view and I just filed it away in my brain and do it how we're instructed. So yesterday during my son's class, I was listening to a podcast dealing with Lee's one inch punch and this guy touched on the thing with leading with the bottom 3 knuckles and then referenced an interview with GSP where he actually confirmed that he punches in the Lee style. How do you guys do it? How is it taught?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm interested in this and would like to learn more about the physiology behind it.

We've also been taught top 2 knuckles - index/middle. I have zero practical input on this other than to say anytime we've had someone injure themselves on punches from board breaks (multiple 1" thick boards) it's been from one of their little fingers, I *think* knuckle 2nd in from the pinky is the typical one.

Regarding your age and aches/pain,. I've got 2 years on you and I am with you. Only advice I can give is listen to your body. Taking a 2-3 days off is not a bad thing. Sometimes being sore and the stretching/warming up of training helps, but other times you need a couple days to recoup.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

I'm interested in this and would like to learn more about the physiology behind it.

We've also been taught top 2 knuckles - index/middle. I have zero practical input on this other than to say anytime we've had someone injure themselves on punches from board breaks (multiple 1" thick boards) it's been from one of their little fingers, I *think* knuckle 2nd in from the pinky is the typical one.

Regarding your age and aches/pain,. I've got 2 years on you and I am with you. Only advice I can give is listen to your body. Taking a 2-3 days off is not a bad thing. Sometimes being sore and the stretching/warming up of training helps, but other times you need a couple days to recoup.

Bro this shoulder thing is...yeah. My other shoulder is messed up anyway (I think from carrying my son WAY too much when he was younger) but this is way worse right now. It's my right arm, which I tend to lean on at my desk at work and I don't really realize it's putting pressure on it until I get up and then it's like "oh woah yeah that hurts REALLY bad." I may end up skipping classes this weekend and just let it heal up as best it can.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don't think I've hit hard enough with a boxing glove on to notice how the force was going down my metacarpals more than a handful of times. And even then, it was more about how hard my knuckles were being pressed into someone's skull. While I definitely think that fist-forearm alignment is crucial to protect from injury, the initial point of contact you make when wearing a boxing glove varies as much on the shape of the glove as on your hand alignment.

The natural neutral feeling alignment for me is closer to 2-big than to 3-small, and I'm fine with that inside the glove. The 3-small alignment requires more muscle tension in the forearm for me, and it does seem protective for most punch motions except maybe a backfist, but feels less efficient.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

EdsTeioh posted:

Bro this shoulder thing is...yeah. My other shoulder is messed up anyway (I think from carrying my son WAY too much when he was younger) but this is way worse right now. It's my right arm, which I tend to lean on at my desk at work and I don't really realize it's putting pressure on it until I get up and then it's like "oh woah yeah that hurts REALLY bad." I may end up skipping classes this weekend and just let it heal up as best it can.

If it's been bothering you for a long time and its not getting better, check with your Dr and maybe get hooked up with a PT or RMT.

I am super lucky to have an *awesome* RMT that actually trains with me.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

If it's been bothering you for a long time and its not getting better, check with your Dr and maybe get hooked up with a PT or RMT.

I am super lucky to have an *awesome* RMT that actually trains with me.

Well, the left one is the one that's been bad for a while. I got accupuncture and cupping and some other Chinese medicine done on it by a friend of mine back in Dec. and it's actually feeling better to the point of not really bothering me much in my day to day anymore. The guy that did it is deep into tai chi chuan and is honestly probably the best martial artists I've ever met in my life and I wish he lived *slightly* closer so I could get more of that work done. The right one that's bothering me right now is from that tumbling thing on Saturday, so hopefully it's just a temporary thing; otherwise yeah, it's gonna be RMT time.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Acupuncture and cupping might make you feel better, but if you got a joint issue and/or muscle imbalance, then it wont do nothing to fix the underlying problem.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Acupuncture and cupping might make you feel better, but if you got a joint issue and/or muscle imbalance, then it wont do nothing to fix the underlying problem.

Oh I'm totally convinced it was psychosomatic, but if buying my friend a beer for sticking needles in me and shooting the poo poo about hip hop records and martial arts makes me think my shoulder is working better, that's a small price to pay.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As long as you're not under the illusion it's almost certainly not doing anything other than a placebo I guess it's not a biggie...

but personally I'd rather see a real professional that might actually help an underlying problem and take my buddy out to the pub for some wings and shoot the poo poo than give any semblance of credence to pseudo-scientific nonsense but :shrug:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

mmm...wings...

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Goons, how do boxing gyms without classes work? The MMA gym where I went to striking classes near me closed. Theres some boxing gyms in the area where its cheap to sign up but theres no classes, seems you have to pay for personal training from one of the fighters or coaches (or figure out workouts on your own). Anyone have experience with these types of gyms that you can describe your routine there?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

OctaMurk posted:

Goons, how do boxing gyms without classes work? The MMA gym where I went to striking classes near me closed. Theres some boxing gyms in the area where its cheap to sign up but theres no classes, seems you have to pay for personal training from one of the fighters or coaches (or figure out workouts on your own). Anyone have experience with these types of gyms that you can describe your routine there?

Is it one of those circuit training gyms where you follow a set routine every time?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Is it one of those circuit training gyms where you follow a set routine every time?

Nope its definitely not like a Title Boxing gym or something like that, it has a ring and several local amateur and professional fighters fight out of it

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

OctaMurk posted:

I trained at a place like that, or at least close.

Basically, what I did was explain to the guys at the front that I wanted to train seriously but obviously understood I'm too old and have a white collar job so I'm not going pro. I was in my twenties and in good shape, with athletic experience, so I knew how to do most things outside the ring.

They had me do conditioning and drills with their serious teens/young adults who met at the same time every day. They also assigned me to one of the coaches who worked with guys like me for sparring. He had 2 or 3 of us that he'd run through drills and what not to learn basics.

I was expected to keep up and listen to my trainer. Basically not be an entitled white guy lol. (I think I did alright because most of the guys started talking to me a little and offering fist bumps after a couple weeks.)

If I came at other hours, I could work a bag or do whatever conditioning (but I was warned to never spar with any randos and generally to keep to myself because you never know...)

Idk if that is typical for gyms like that or not but it was my experience.

Edit: we had one future Olympian and a couple pros that trained there but they were basically in their own world. I did get to do a round with the Olympian because he wanted to warm up and I was the only dude around close to his size at that moment. just movement and light jabbing, he was like a different species and I told him I knew the deal and didn't want to die lol so he was really nice.

My coach actually got mad at me because of the rule about sparring but I think he secretly liked that I did that because... you know... gotta have some defiance in you to fight.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 4, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I only ever went to a gym like that for a few months but it was basically very similar to what you'd do in a more structured class except it was just you and the coach.

Like, I'd come in and the coach would show me some little move, like at first stuff like here's how you stand and move, here's a jab, here's a hook. Later, stuff like here's a few different combinations. He'd watch me do it a few times, then go off to help someone else. He'd check back in later and ask me if I wanted to spar so and so. Looking back, it had some real advantages because the gym was open for several hours and you'd just show up whenever; the pros would be there all evening and other people would just come and go.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

thanks for the responses, folks

yeah, it's quite a shame, but it looks like it might not be good for my health if i continue to pursue full contact boxing. probably should indeed have done so more than a decade ago when i had the chance. :smith:

that being said, i suppose there's nothing wrong joining a boxing gym just to punch the bags, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

that being said, i suppose there's nothing wrong joining a boxing gym just to punch the bags, right?

You should def try it and see how much you get out of just that aspect, maybe some coaching on top of that.