Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'll probably end up getting one :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

It's really really pretty, though.

I saw the IG about it and knew it would be expensive, but it shocked me how much it actually was.

Good for them if they can get it.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Matt Zerella posted:

Also TE dropped a mini mixer/audio interface with a built in synth and a bunch of other stuff...

Hell has frozen over. Teenage Engineering released something I have a practical use for... but at that price it's gonna have to wait.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Granted only a few minutes into listening and checking it out but the Syntakt is more model:cycles than I was expecting. Also very Teenage Engineering in some of the new menu screens. Can't say I'm fully in love with it yet if I'm fully honest.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

net work error posted:

Granted only a few minutes into listening and checking it out but the Syntakt is more model:cycles than I was expecting. Also very Teenage Engineering in some of the new menu screens. Can't say I'm fully in love with it yet if I'm fully honest.

i’m speaking hypothetically because i’m dirt poor and i won’t be able to afford it until like maybe around christmas but if it’s a model cycles with double the voices, FX, and a proper snare that’s worth the asking price to me

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I haven’t heard the snare but I need some analog hats in my life. Maybe I should just swap in Erica hi hats A on my modular

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I think my hesitance is because I already have a Digitone and model:cycles so I have a lot of what's in the Syntakt covered.

Aside from that though it's a lot in a little box so it's bordering on MPC territory of too much for my small brain to manage in one space. If you don't have any of the current Elektron stuff though it's definitely a must have I think. Plus like I said I'll probably end up getting one anyways when if they hit the used market. This is all just one cranks opinion though!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That TE mixer is exactly what I’ve been wanting! And at only 6x my budget for one!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Rolo posted:

That TE mixer is exactly what I’ve been wanting! And at only 6x my budget for one!

:same:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That mixer is sick as hell

So is the Syncraft

Its weird my brain is all analog, knobs, 1:1 everything etc but after getting and falling in love with my Model:Samples I’m a sucker for Elektron stuff. I don’t know what it is but their stuff really pulls me in. It seems like the opposite of what I normally want in gear but yeah.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Another sequencer arrived while I was on a work call at home a little bit ago. Forgot it was arriving today. Apparently my current bout of HW sequencer lust continues untreated, but now I have the OG Hz/V sequencer for the MS-20...

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Oh wow, the Syntakt seems pretty cool. A lot of control over how individual parts sound, but curated in a way that keeps you out of the weeds. It's a sensible marriage of things a few other Elektron devices individually do very well. If it were $800 instead of a grand, I'd be more enthusiastic.

I don't want to make any big purchases before I move this Summer, so I have the luxury of waiting for details on Korg's planned hybrid analog/digital drum machine with a robust effects section. If Korg lets me down, I'll get the Syntakt. If they're comparable, I'll probably still get the Syntakt.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I still feel like it takes eons to input notes into an Electron box's sequencer. I dunno, just felt like that aspect is incredibly slow and error-prone without a piano roll-type display (why the hell can't we have a piano roll-type display while editing notes dammit)

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I'm probably only saying this because I haven't paid any attention to the Syntakt stuff yet, but if I have a Machinedrum (which, if memory serves, I'm pretty sure I bought off a goon some years back), along with some other Elektron stuff, should I care?

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Its weird my brain is all analog, knobs, 1:1 everything etc but after getting and falling in love with my Model:Samples I’m a sucker for Elektron stuff. I don’t know what it is but their stuff really pulls me in. It seems like the opposite of what I normally want in gear but yeah.

It’s the elektron buttons, they are so nice to press that your brain will literally reroute pathways and learn new stuff to give you more excuses to press them

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Lot of Elektron fans ITT

Unrelated:

https://soundcloud.com/tangible_animal_6/01-220421-1233a

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

I'm an extremely recent convert so excuse me as I learn the workflow and gush about it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm an extremely recent convert so excuse me as I learn the workflow and gush about it.

Some brand names are pretty frequently mentioned here while others are conspicuously absent. M-Whattio?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

minidracula posted:

I'm probably only saying this because I haven't paid any attention to the Syntakt stuff yet, but if I have a Machinedrum (which, if memory serves, I'm pretty sure I bought off a goon some years back), along with some other Elektron stuff, should I care?

The only way Elektron could surpass the MD would be to reissue it with, I don’t know, a better screen? It’s the perfect drum machine and anyone who disagrees needs to be sent to some kind of reeducation camp or whatever.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Safe from GAS as I still need to dig into the new x.06 update and MCL updates

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

ozmunkeh posted:

The only way Elektron could surpass the MD would be to reissue it with, I don’t know, a better screen? It’s the perfect drum machine and anyone who disagrees needs to be sent to some kind of reeducation camp or whatever.

I've said it multiple times but this would've been all they really needed!

Anyways I'm very interested in this new Korg drum machine which I was not aware of. Has there been any leaks or information about it thus far?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

net work error posted:

Anyways I'm very interested in this new Korg drum machine which I was not aware of. Has there been any leaks or information about it thus far?

I am now as well, first I've heard of it. I am also curious. I think it's this:

https://djmag.com/news/korg-teases-new-analogue-digital-hybrid-drum-machine

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I really haven’t been using my guitar fx to its full potential.

https://youtu.be/h9GR_9t6M2U

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

Yep. At half that price I would be considering it but when I saw the price I literally laughed out loud.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I snagged a TX-6, will have a trip report for y'all soon! Was just lamenting my lack of a mixer/sequencer for the OP-1/OP-Z when I saw this drop so I went for it. Most of my gear is in storage far away, and this checks off every box for me.

Definitely would not get it if you're only interested in a mixer/interface

It seems like a very well thought out & distilled response to what I have personally found all of the most frustrating limits to be with both devices. It's not quite the output per track I've always wanted on the OP-1, but having a second layer of midi controllable mixing and effects to send out and record back with really unlocks its potential, nevermind having access to a new independent set of synth/drum voices and effects. That eliminates a lot of what felt like busywork when assembling more than a few takes of layers.

Right before I had to move and leave everything else in storage, I had just figured out that the MPC2500's I/O actually worked with cv. So I had the OP-Z kicking out midi & audio to the MPC, which was playing it's own audio samples on some channels while sending out cv to the rack on others, which was getting processed/recorded to the OP-1 (using midi events to swap playhead position and track every 6 minutes to get 24 minutes total) and then sent back to the MPC.

The next step from that point was to get the cv module for the OP-Z, allowing it to become a more effective midi<->cv bridge. Without it, I was essentially brute forcing the MPC into being a bridge with a few equally spaced samples and pitch shifting (lol), which was seriously eating into its ability to do the kind of cv resampling I ultimately had in mind.

The only other thing I didn't like about this mad science experiment was my reliance on a PC+interface to deal with some of the midi/audio routing! So I hope someone out there understands why I feel like this was made for me and bought one immediately

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Right before I had to move and leave everything else in storage, I had just figured out that the MPC2500's I/O actually worked with cv.

Excuse me????? Do I have to do anything special or just treat it like a normal sample? (JJOS rn). holy poo poo

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

JamesKPolk posted:

Excuse me????? Do I have to do anything special or just treat it like a normal sample? (JJOS rn). holy poo poo

I couldn't believe it either!

You specifically have a 2500 right? With any of the others it's still possible but you have to open it up and mod the outputs. I don't even think JJOS XL is even required to facilitate it. Usual rack disclaimer to double check everything because doing this incorrectly can murder gear

I did this in late 2019 so I'm likely forgetting bits, but IIRC: Use whatever you have to output CV sequences to send whatever the base/middle note is (A3? C3? :effort:), assign that to a pad, and send it back out. I think I had to play with the volume, maybe bandpass it to get rid of noise/clicks, and set the assigned pads to be one shot with no attack/release? There's like 2 youtube videos and a post on a dead gear forum somewhere that helped me figure it out, I can try and dig those up if you don't have any luck

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

https://soundcloud.com/tangible_animal_6/fastwomen-1?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Just fooling around with the sweep generator, no biggie. It can make some pretty rich sounds.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Tayter Swift posted:

I still feel like it takes eons to input notes into an Electron box's sequencer. I dunno, just felt like that aspect is incredibly slow and error-prone without a piano roll-type display (why the hell can't we have a piano roll-type display while editing notes dammit)

a small midi keyboard makes doing melodic work on elektron stuff way easier just hold a button and press a key

the coolest thing about the new box to me is the effect bus system. I wish elektron would make things with proper song modes again though. the octatrack has an insanely powerful and ez to use arranger and every product since has been sliding backwards from that point

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Mr. Sharps posted:

a small midi keyboard makes doing melodic work on elektron stuff way easier just hold a button and press a key

This is one of the reasons I consider the keyboard versions of their synths to be the 'correct' ones, noteon chase lights removed from the digikeys was a terrible cost-cut decision.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there a way to turn off the Keystep while it’s plugged into a USB port? Should I care if it’s on all day with my PC?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rolo posted:

Is there a way to turn off the Keystep while it’s plugged into a USB port? Should I care if it’s on all day with my PC?

No

No

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Rolo posted:

you should be fine

mine's been on for three years and two months. To the day, according to my order history!

The first couple months of that were on wall power until my cat chewed through the cord, though.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Mr. Sharps posted:

Sure, but that kinda pulls it out of the 'stand alone groovebox' territory you know.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Rolo posted:

Yes there is! I use these USB cables with power buttons: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X82661H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are a lot of USB cables like this out there, but MOST OF THEM don't actually pass data; they're purely for charging, so the switch functions as a literal power switch.

This particular cable is data-capable, and I have every one of our USB headsets connected to them. (I find myself switching between speakers/headset/daw a lot, and it's much easier to reach for the lil power switch on my desk than to unplug the USB headset altogether.)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

There's also hubs with switches for each port. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JX1ZS5O/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_dl_PSXG4RM6KRJSWJXDKQ63
I've been using this one with a maschine and an audio interface and had zero problems with it.

I switch them off when not actively using them.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I kind of agree that inputting melodies into elektron stuff is a little tedious, but if you have a midi keyboard, or better yet, if you have a DAW with the midi written out, you can hit record and play it from your DAW and into whatever elektron.

The syntakt seems cool on paper but every demo I’ve heard just sounds pretty generic, if it can do stuff like the monomachine’s fm stuff (does it have FM machines? I was trying to see if it did, but no one mentioned it in any of the videos I saw). Basically I want to do stuff like this without having to buy a monomachine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA4r3L2eE5U

Edit: also lol at how every comment on the YouTube videos for the new TE mixer is about how insane the price is. Also wtf, it has a basic (but sort of complex for being a mixer??) synth and a sequencer? So weird

imhotep fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 23, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The synth in the TX-6 is a weird addition but it cost them no new hardware to add and makes for a quick accompaniment. It sounds pretty bad to me (only based on their promo vids so maybe that's not fair to say yet) but is a quick way to get a drum loop going so you can shred your new solo.

I think it's a super neat little box even though I'll never buy it.. I have no use for a mobile audio interface. But the feature list is absurd, if I read things right can even be a midi controller? Aimed at DJ's but that's neat.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

bop bop perano posted:

The syntakt seems cool on paper but every demo I’ve heard just sounds pretty generic, if it can do stuff like the monomachine’s fm stuff (does it have FM machines? I was trying to see if it did, but no one mentioned it in any of the videos I saw). Basically I want to do stuff like this without having to buy a monomachine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA4r3L2eE5U

The manual still has not dropped, it does have an FM voice. I would say it'd need more LFO, "insert" channel FX and untuned bounds in the synth machine and summing to even approach the realm.
With the rytm voices available, as long as you can set one track's trigs to other tracks' I'm sure it would be capable, but slightly more work. Conditional trigs go a LONG way to faking the kinds of behavior that would fall out of the MnM.

The current 'tonal synth' machines on offer are abstracted as a
2xVCO+Noise VA
Wavetable with chording ensemble voice
Digitone flavored 2op FM voice
I do expect a directly MnM or SID derived voice to drop in an update, wild speculation.

-Thread Kool-Aid Cleric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Startyde posted:

The manual still has not dropped, it does have an FM voice. I would say it'd need more LFO, "insert" channel FX and untuned bounds in the synth machine and summing to even approach the realm.
With the rytm voices available, as long as you can set one track's trigs to other tracks' I'm sure it would be capable, but slightly more work. Conditional trigs go a LONG way to faking the kinds of behavior that would fall out of the MnM.

The current 'tonal synth' machines on offer are abstracted as a
2xVCO+Noise VA
Wavetable with chording ensemble voice
Digitone flavored 2op FM voice
I do expect a directly MnM or SID derived voice to drop in an update, wild speculation.

-Thread Kool-Aid Cleric

Oh cool, the idea of having a mini MnM box in the form of a digitakt like elektron box is exciting, and would compliment the digitakt well. I assume it only has one LFO per track? I saw someone going over it, and it looked the same as the digitakt LFO, but with destinations for what seemed like most of the synth parameters, I think they were using the wavetable synth, and used the LFO to change the wave shape, if I remember correctly. If there is only one LFO I hope they add it in an update, and like you said, the Sid and mnm stuff would be great. The person who made that MnM video said it’s basically just fm, with an LFO on the pitch I think.

Or maybe I should just try to build something that can do the MnM fm stuff in max/msp instead …

imhotep fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 23, 2022