Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I posted this in the BFC resume thread, and CarForumPoster had the right idea to ask around here. I've been eating steamed vegetables and chicken for a while now so sadly don't come to GWS much anymore :)

Here's the original thread. CarForumPoster has great, but not bakery-specific suggestions:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582&pagenumber=294#post522076448

I'm helping my mom's friend from Ukraine prepare a resume as a baker/pastry chef. They asked me to write it in english, even though I doubt it's the lingua franca among European bakers, but I can translate it as appropriate later. And of course things work a bit differently in the US but bakery is bakery so there has to be some commonality. I don't have any contacts in the industry here.

quote:

Name, location, email address.

Education
Art school: Pottery artist
College: Art History

Courses and certificates
Bread baking: Denis Suchovy, 20xx
Gingerbread: Tatiana Svirko, 20xx
Chocolate: Alla Skoropad, 20xx
Mousse fruit modeling (???) Dasha Tuleneva, 20xx
Cheesecakes, honey cakes: Marusa Manko, 20xx

Experience
2005 – 2022 Own business
Artisanal, hand-made greeting cards
20xx-20xx Home baker
20xx-20xx Baker Bothers Baker, confectioner (pastry cook?)
20xx-20xx “Admiral” country club Baker

I've asked for more details but that's literally all I have to work with right now. I think at a minimum I'd need actual dates for everything and names of schools/degrees, and some description of what happened at those jobs. I only really have experience as a computer toucher so I've no idea what would be appropriate to include. I assume these photos of the results would be a good idea? Descriptions of specific parts of the cake making proceess she was responsible for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Add dates and details as much as you can, but my main suggestion is to try to lean into more photos. If most of their work is on the pastry side, or custom cakes, it may be better to think of this as a portfolio of work (similar to an artist or web designer) rather than an all-text resume. Pertinent details about those projects can be helpful, if available, but keep those details consistent (example: Year made, occasion)

Additionally, add a profile section - effectively a narrative/descriptive section about the person. Your mention of lingua franca is also a good one, a "languages spoken" addition might be useful if this person speaks multiple languages, even if not fluently. You could even list them by level of fluency.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
That can be really helpful for a commercial bakery that does custom pieces, if they're in an area where there's a lot of multi-lingual customers, so definitely something to put on the resume.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
One year my grandmother decided to make some ketchup with tomatoes she grew, and the yield was less than a quarter cup per bushel. There's no goddamn way you're going to be cost effective.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

One year my grandmother decided to make some ketchup with tomatoes she grew, and the yield was less than a quarter cup per bushel. There's no goddamn way you're going to be cost effective.

Just gotta have that ketchup hustle mindset

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

You don’t understand scale.

Plant her tomatoes into 10 tomato plants.

In 6 months you have 250 tomatoes.

Plant those into 250 plants.

6 months you have 6,250 plants.

Plant them.

6 months you have 156k tomatoes.

Plant them.

6 mo you have 3.9MM tomatoes.

Use them to start a ketchup empire.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

[Steve Albini voice]: Ketchup EMPIRE!

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

I'm not trying to sully your grandmother's good name, but a bushel of tomatoes yields 8 quarts or so of regular sauce, depending on thickness. Ketchup is usually a little thicker than sauce, but 1/4 cup would be more than a 100:1 reduction. The ketchup recipe in the Ball book yields roughly the equivalent of 7 quarts per bushel, so only slightly less yield than sauce. Even dehydrated completely down to a powder, I can't see a bushel of tomatoes being reduced down to 1/4 cup.
:goonsay:

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

JoshGuitar posted:

I'm not trying to sully your grandmother's good name, but a bushel of tomatoes yields 8 quarts or so of regular sauce, depending on thickness. Ketchup is usually a little thicker than sauce, but 1/4 cup would be more than a 100:1 reduction. The ketchup recipe in the Ball book yields roughly the equivalent of 7 quarts per bushel, so only slightly less yield than sauce. Even dehydrated completely down to a powder, I can't see a bushel of tomatoes being reduced down to 1/4 cup.
:goonsay:

Having helped my grandmother make ketchup and canned tomatoes every year when I was young, this is entirely accurate, if there was only 1/4 cup of sauce there's something that has gone horribly loving wrong. We picked like four carloads of tomatoes and had enough ketchup and canned tomatoes for the entire extended family for a year.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Your grandmum is skimming tomatoes off the top for her other ketchup sidehussle so you don't get any of that lucrative direct to restaurant sales $$$

Sorry you had to find out this way

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Good on grandma for the ketchup hustle

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
You've heard of rumrunners? Well, Nonna's a chuprunner

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Howdy all, not work but money question. I have an opportunity to invest in a really good coffee company - they import + roast, and now they're opening a cafe in a good location. Does anyone have direct experience in cafe finances? I'm able to find some "industry standard" comparisons for some parts of the projected income statement + visits / day + $/visitor but not others.

I'll get an attorney to look at the actual paperwork, and I'm sure the numbers are a bit optimistic but I'd like a sniff test from someone on da inside.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianBoitano posted:

Howdy all, not work but money question. I have an opportunity to invest in a really good coffee company - they import + roast, and now they're opening a cafe in a good location. Does anyone have direct experience in cafe finances? I'm able to find some "industry standard" comparisons for some parts of the projected income statement + visits / day + $/visitor but not others.

I'll get an attorney to look at the actual paperwork, and I'm sure the numbers are a bit optimistic but I'd like a sniff test from someone on da inside.

I have no money knowledge at all, but, having worked in new restaurants (this is their first location they don't have others, right?) is "ahahahahahahahahaha."

And, in regards to "good location" I live near a bunch of good locations and there's some places that have been there forever and there are some places where the business changes every two years, like, right next to each other, you might want to find out why this great location was available. Like, if COVID forced the previous tenants out then maybe, but if pre-COVID there were multiple businesses there for less than 3 years it might not be that great of a location, even if the businesses next to them have been doing great forever.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I would check on Starbuck’s history in the location.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

There are actually two locations - one would be the exclusive cafe in an established amusement park and the other would be the first cafe a fairly new neighborhood passes on its way to work. It's a risk for sure, but these guys also have a great deal of business from their bean roasting business which this investment should also cover, so at least there's baseline income above and beyond walk-ins.

How would I try to find how well nearby Starbucks are doing?

I'll reach out to someone in the chamber of commerce or something to see if I can get more local information!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

How would I try to find how well nearby Starbucks are doing?

A fast food coffee shop would expect to do ~200 customers per hour during the morning rush, just go there and count people.

Also hooooly poo poo this is a risky idea don't spend your life savings on it lmao

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah I wouldn't invest more than I could stand to lose, no worries. I'm also planning on starting my own business in 10 years or so and I'm considering this about the price tag and value of 1 year business school. Even if it goes under, I get my money's worth, and less than 10% of my liquid savings :)

I'm definitely going to go check the closest 2 coffee shops with a clicker counter, great idea!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I would use Google's analytics, look up 'starbucks', find the ones in your area, look at the business tracker. Do this with a variety of Starbucks from other areas to see how busy the one in your area is.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Also if they're a coffee shop make sure they're gonna pay and treat their employees appreciatively better than Starbucks.

It's a comically, almost criminally low bar to clear and will guarantee the place has pre-trained baristas as you poach them from Starbucks. Bonus points if they advertise for jobs near the 'bux

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

From an investment standpoint: They're setting themselves up to compete with Starbucks and McDonald's, as well as whatever's local or regional like Duncan Doughnuts. They better have a drat good business plan that expects not to make money for minimum 2 years on the cafe, probably closer to 5.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Nailed an interview and got hired for another job in the field I went to school for, so in two weeks I will be mostly retired from the service industry!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Congrats you'll stop having nightmares about loving up an order in 4 years or so

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Time for someone to upload that kitchen printer ringtone again.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Time for someone to upload that kitchen printer ringtone again.

No! NOOOOOOOOOO!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Escape From Noise posted:

No! NOOOOOOOOOO!

Excellent Username/Post combo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Guy walks up to the drive thru window.

"I want however many biscuits and gravy that 20 dollars will buy"

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Leal posted:

Drunk or stoned or both?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Leal posted:

I respect this, this person knows what they're about and it's dope that the restaurant didn't refuse service for a walkup.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

VelociBacon posted:

I respect this, this person knows what they're about and it's dope that the restaurant didn't refuse service for a walkup.

Agreed. Plus, as a former professional biscuit-slinger: we loved biscuits & gravy orders bc you can hide the broken, lop-sided, etc biscuits under all that delicious glop. Someone asking for "how many sausage/egg/cheese for $20" would be a pain, but we'd happily tear a tray of funky-looking biscuits in half and bury the evidence under gravy so the KM wouldn't see a baker's mistake. Dude probably got more than $20 worth. Blessed all around.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Escape From Noise posted:

No! NOOOOOOOOOO!

https://eternalbox.dev/jukebox_go.html?id=2PK89Kx48wvOOC05nZ3K8R

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 22, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

evilpicard posted:

Congrats you'll stop having nightmares about loving up an order in 4 years or so

Hahahahahahahahah.

I still occasionally have ticket printer nightmares and haven't worked a line since 2012.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Agreed. Plus, as a former professional biscuit-slinger: we loved biscuits & gravy orders bc you can hide the broken, lop-sided, etc biscuits under all that delicious glop. Someone asking for "how many sausage/egg/cheese for $20" would be a pain, but we'd happily tear a tray of funky-looking biscuits in half and bury the evidence under gravy so the KM wouldn't see a baker's mistake. Dude probably got more than $20 worth. Blessed all around.

Gravy covers a multitude of sins.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

esperantinc posted:

Drunk or stoned or both?

Could just be Southern. We love us some gravy.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Gravy covers a multitude of sins.

Thread title

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Is it petty of me to make servers’ food look like poo poo when they ring it up at close?

I don’t construct it worse than I would any other order, I just throw it on the plate without thought.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

FishBowlRobot posted:

Is it petty of me to make servers’ food look like poo poo when they ring it up at close?

I don’t construct it worse than I would any other order, I just throw it on the plate without thought.

Nah, gently caress em

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I wish this wasn't a serious question but I'll have a go anyway.

I smoke a lot less than I used to, trying to make it an enjoyment thing rather than a need thing. But the point is, I'm feeling a little bit at odds and left out in my kitchen, and everybody else smokes, and indulging in the habit seems like it might be my only option to, say, get to know the sous chef. I really like this restaurant and this kitchen and I genuinely hope to stick with them until I get my drat B.S. I just feel a bit stuck and sad.

Edit: it might also seem weird to suddenly be stepping outside six weeks later. gently caress my life!

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 24, 2022

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Propaganda Machine posted:

I wish this wasn't a serious question but I'll have a go anyway.

I smoke a lot less than I used to, trying to make it an enjoyment thing rather than a need thing. But the point is, I'm feeling a little bit at odds and left out in my kitchen, and everybody else smokes, and indulging in the habit seems like it might be my only option to, say, get to know the sous chef. I really like this restaurant and this kitchen and I genuinely hope to stick with them until I get my drat B.S. I just feel a bit stuck and sad.

Edit: it might also seem weird to suddenly be stepping outside six weeks later. gently caress my life!

You could always get a 0 nicotine vape that you like the flavor of, and just still go out with them while not getting back on the nicotine addiction.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

You could always get a 0 nicotine vape that you like the flavor of, and just still go out with them while not getting back on the nicotine addiction.

This is actually an excellent idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That IS a good idea, I even have a vape hiding somewhere, I can find it. That just leaves finessing going outside to my poor social skills, but that's on me :v:

Thank you~