Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

To be clear I liked the old way before dungeon finder, because I liked having a reason to group up and make friends and join guilds more than just for the sake of it. But that was Back In The Day when I had ten hours a day to play and discord didn't exist. Now that time has moved on its simply an antique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

i played classic a bit and had some fun overworld interactions as a priest but i feel like if i wasn't a priest those opportunities wouldn't have opened up at all

Yeah, I had a lot of fun as a warlock as well, though looking back on it I wish I had rolled a shadow priest. Mind Control is a wonderful spell.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

someone's going to make a dungeon finder addon except you'll be able to set a gearscore requirement for your normal gundrak group

also this:

CYBEReris posted:

i played classic a bit and had some fun overworld interactions as a priest but i feel like if i wasn't a priest those opportunities wouldn't have opened up at all

I met most of my mmo friends over the years because I was the tank and if I was dps then I would have just blended into the woodwork, the old social experience is almost exclusively remembered positively by tanks and healers

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They announced they are not going to be implementing dungeon finder in wrath classic to "keep the sense of community the Classic playerbase wants" (lol)

Yep, hence the not having to resub, they really killed any interest in WoW I had left really quickly what that one. I'll probably play the retail expansion when it launches I guess because some buddies will play it, but that one is pretty far off I think.

In other news, Guild Wars 1, the really old game, is getting (or just got) a new data-center in Korea. They recently hit new records of concurrent players during the 2022 Lunar New Year event (about triple from the amount of players in early 2018, I didn't see exact numbers). Apparently they have needed to scale up infrastructure a couple times since 2018 (the year they picked active development back up, which consists mostly of tweaks and fixes) and now a whole new data-center location.

Pretty wild considering there hasn't been any new content since the "War in Kryta" thing I think? Which was in 2010.

I find it hard to get into GW2 because the combat feels clunky to me (and rotations seem to be either "press this one button" or "press 3,2,3,3,1 for 3 cycles,,f1,5,3,4,5,3,3,3,2,2,5,4, switch weapons,4,2,1 for 2 cycles,5,5,5,4, switch weapons, 1 for 2 cycles and then repeat"). But GW1 is still one of those games that while I am not playing it a lot or even regularly these days, every now and then it is fun to do some missions.

DaitoX fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 20, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DaitoX posted:

In other news, Guild Wars 1, the really old game, is getting (or just got) a new data-center in Korea. They recently hit new records of concurrent players during the 2022 Lunar New Year event (about triple from the amount of players in early 2018, I didn't see exact numbers). Apparently they have needed to scale up infrastructure a couple times since 2018 (the year they picked active development back up, which consists mostly of tweaks and fixes) and now a whole new data-center location.

That's pretty nuts, yeah. My guess would be that PC bang culture's behind it, since GW1 is close to the perfect game for one to offer: multiplayer, super low specs, tons of content to get through, and no major EXP/loot grinds that eat into paid time.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

heres a good idea: have a dungeon finder, but instead of selecting players just from the server, cross server or cross continent, have it select players from other mmorpgs too

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

A dungeon finder, but instead of putting your character in a dungeon with a bunch of random players, it puts you in a real dungeon as punishment for still liking this dead, gay genre.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

blatman posted:

I met most of my mmo friends over the years because I was the tank and if I was dps then I would have just blended into the woodwork, the old social experience is almost exclusively remembered positively by tanks and healers

It was nice on P99 getting random tells and being ported around to nice camps because I was a paladin.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Yeah finding groups for dungeons has never been a problem for me on P99 (on most classes, anyway). But the server culture is very geared around doing it properly. WoW... not so much. Also instances completely gently caress you there since you don't go into a zone with people already there doing stuff for you to join in.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

dungeon finder but the queues are diegetic with rope lines and npcs in mascot outfits guiding the tanks and healers to the fastpass lanes

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

CuddleCryptid posted:

To be clear I liked the old way before dungeon finder, because I liked having a reason to group up and make friends and join guilds more than just for the sake of it. But that was Back In The Day when I had ten hours a day to play and discord didn't exist. Now that time has moved on its simply an antique.

This was stupid then and it’s stupid now.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

No dungeon finder was fine in an era where dungeons were not really mandatory progression vectors, like in classic wow you could do dungeons but you didn't really need to. There wasn't a daily progression loop based around it like there is in the modern game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dungeon Finder is a good way to very quickly and easily be able to fully engage with “full-length” combat where cooldowns matter, and all that. If you’re fighting dudes in a field you’ll probably kill them extremely quickly and it gets very rote. And if you’re a healer, it’s not a good time. Tanks, thankfully, seem to have a much better time soloing nowadays.

However with a dungeon finder you can fully engage with group mechanics/dynamics and use all your poo poo.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Nobody's arguing that modern mainstream MMOs shouldn't have dungeon finders? At least nobody reasonable, I don't think. The people who want games without dungeon finders seem to be fine with it being a small niche thing, in which case cool no problem more niche stuff for people who want that.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Which I think is going to backfire since Wrath was when the game really became accessible. Most of the clunky things from Vanilla and TBC were ironed out and raiding was extremely easy to get into with catch up mechanics etc. I can't see the "hardcore" crowd really sticking with it.

I agree with what you are saying in general, but the catch up mechanics were already in the game in the burning crusade. I caused a RL friend of mine to quit WoW forever by linking a green staff I got off of a boar in hellfire peninsula and laughing at how it was better than the staff he had spent countless nights raiding to get from Nefarian. He logged out and never played again.

blatman posted:

Playing tank or healer certainly made it a lot easier. I played a resto druid on a pvp server in vanilla wow and could basically get a group or raid anywhere I wanted.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I agree with what you are saying in general, but the catch up mechanics were already in the game in the burning crusade. I caused a RL friend of mine to quit WoW forever by linking a green staff I got off of a boar in hellfire peninsula and laughing at how it was better than the staff he had spent countless nights raiding to get from Nefarian. He logged out and never played again.

Oh yeah, expansions always come with resets. I more meant how by wrath you could jump in when ICC released and gear up to do it without being forced to find a group to prog through Naxx - > Ulduar before finally getting to do the current stuff.

e: Heroic dungeons being extremely easy compared to burning crusade helped too.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh yeah, expansions always come with resets. I more meant how by wrath you could jump in when ICC released and gear up to do it without being forced to find a group to prog through Naxx - > Ulduar before finally getting to do the current stuff.

Oh ok, yeah that is a good point, the catch up mechanics from patch to patch within an expansion got much much better. I was so sick of molten core but we still constantly ran it to gear up new players.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was really enjoying LotRO until I started to get quests for dungeons and I could literally never find a single person willing to run them with me

Their instance finder is really bad and its sad that tits keeping me from playing a game I'd otherwise be really into

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

jokes posted:

Dungeon Finder is a good way to very quickly and easily be able to fully engage with “full-length” combat where cooldowns matter, and all that. If you’re fighting dudes in a field you’ll probably kill them extremely quickly and it gets very rote. And if you’re a healer, it’s not a good time. Tanks, thankfully, seem to have a much better time soloing nowadays.

However with a dungeon finder you can fully engage with group mechanics/dynamics and use all your poo poo.

That’s why this stuff should just be all monsters, not just in instances. Then you can go ahead and remove the instances and replace them with something more interesting.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Tera is finally shutting down

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Vermain posted:

Sage is still one of the most fun healing classes I've ever played in an MMO.

I'd love to read about this. I never played TERA but do remember all the pre-launch hype.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

eonwe posted:

I was really enjoying LotRO until I started to get quests for dungeons and I could literally never find a single person willing to run them with me

Their instance finder is really bad and its sad that tits keeping me from playing a game I'd otherwise be really into

FWIW the dungeons are totally optional, and any of the Epic story quests that you need to run dungeons for, they give you a buff if you go in solo so you can complete them. Also LOTRO is running a crazy 15th anniversary right now giving a way a bunch of stuff if anyone had any interest in the game at all its worth logging in during the next couple weeks.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

poo poo, I might sign in tomorrow to claim the free poo poo. I will probably never ever play LotRO, but I'll be ready if I change my mind

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vinestalk posted:

I'd love to read about this. I never played TERA but do remember all the pre-launch hype.

It was actually "Mystic" - I've been playing too much FFXIV :pwn: - but its main gimmick was that most of its heals were untargeted effects that depended on good aim and positioning to get the full value from them. You could create small healing and mana orbs ala old Mistwalkers in WoW, had a charged damage AoE that then comboed into a healing AoE, and, most importantly, had a boomerang-like projectile that dealt damage and healed on both pulses. The last skill was what really won me over, because it made you think about where you had to stand in a way I don't think I've seen much in any other MMO, since you needed to position yourself both to stay safe from telegraphs and be able to hit targets with both pulses, and while you had some mobility to help you with it, it still required a good amount of forethought.

It was a really fun skillset to master, but it's also one that I think most MMOs have little interest in, since the failure rate for untargeted heals is really high for the average player, and that's not gonna cut the mustard with the standard MMO damage paradigm where healers are there to both reverse unavoidable damage and compensate for party mistakes.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 21, 2022

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
drat, that is interesting. Thanks for posting. I remember a lot of the hype for TERA was PvP stuff. How did that type of healing translate? Or am I misremembering the hype?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I said come in! posted:

I have loving PTSD trauma from raiding drama and toxic pubbie grouping. So leveling up characters solo is about all I can tolerate in WoW. I doubt i'll bother to go back to WoW though anyways. I don't have the most current expansion and haven't played in years.

I have the same PTSD. I still level up solo in most MMOs, but CoH Homecoming had such a pleasant and active community, I ended up leveling most of my alts group-only. Raids were like every other day and all open invitation, and not a single one broke down at all or succumbed to drama. About the only drama was from a frequent rikti ship raid leader who was real anal about leechers.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It was nice on P99 getting random tells and being ported around to nice camps because I was a paladin.

I got treated similarly back in the day with FFXI. It was a real eye opener just how drastically people treat you when you play a class everyone needs.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I always enjoy finding the horrible people that go to those classes due to their poor social skills

I am not calling out healers

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I can only become popular with feemale if I play the healer.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

You play healer so that people will think you are kind and supportive boyfriend material.

I play healer because I am sexually submissive.

We are not the same.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I play healer because it’s cool to help people. Also damaging enemies isn’t as cool or impactful or moment-to-moment. It takes 10 minutes to kill a boss, and like 10 seconds for a person to get killed by a boss without healer’s intervention so it’s just a lot more dynamic. I always play tank or healer because damage gets pretty boring. But if I’m on drugs I’ll play a damage spec no question

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I used to play healer because dungeon queue times, and every group I made it into just had some of the worst healers you could imagine. Also because it seemed like I didn't need to know the content as well as I would if I was the tank, I just had to keep people alive. Figured it was a simple way to solve two problems at once.

Lots of ups and downs there, I remember the time I had to finish more than half of Deadmines with just a Warlock, their voidwalker, and me as a Resto Druid because the Tank and the other 2 DPS would not stop fighting each other. It took a long drat time, but we got pretty far in before enough party members swapped out and the group stabilized. These days I'd just have quit and re-queued, but how young I was back then.

Later on in my MMO years I'd play tank, but I found I was always too slow and safe of a tank for most folk. Tried tanking in FFXIV when I swapped to it briefly around the launch of ARR because the healing rotations made no sense to me at the time, but ran into the same issue alongside the aggro mechanics just being unplayable at low levels. Gladiator was boring as hell, but I've heard it's gotten better now or something.

Now I queue as nothing, because I don't really have the time to get the most out of a monthly subscription model, or just MMOs in general. I do miss it though, mostly for the shenanigans.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you like doing a dungeon or two here and there, you can always do the WoW trial which caps you at 20. Every so often I get the itch to do group content as a bear or whatever and I’ll log in and do a dungeon queue and then bail. It’s not like it’s that much different at cap

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I play healer primarily because of the significant run-to-run variation you get depending on the competence of your team. Healers in MMOs are generally the only role that gets a truly dynamic experience in each dungeon, since the amount you have to work can vary from "autopiloting" to "furiously coming up with a plan on the fly," and I find that a lot more engaging than the relatively smooth experience most tanks/DPS have.

I also usually like playing them because they tend to be one of the roles that people don't optimize a ton on, and I fully admit to enjoying the experience of mastering the role and impressing other people when I show that I know what I'm doing. v:shobon:v

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Vermain posted:

I play healer primarily because of the significant run-to-run variation you get depending on the competence of your team. Healers in MMOs are generally the only role that gets a truly dynamic experience in each dungeon, since the amount you have to work can vary from "autopiloting" to "furiously coming up with a plan on the fly," and I find that a lot more engaging than the relatively smooth experience most tanks/DPS have.

I also usually like playing them because they tend to be one of the roles that people don't optimize a ton on, and I fully admit to enjoying the experience of mastering the role and impressing other people when I show that I know what I'm doing. v:shobon:v

ime healers in casual content are often just reacting to whatever happens and get bored when they don't have to heal much or annoyed when a tank is incompetent enough they need to be babysat every gcd. but then in raiding content they're by far the most organized and optimized in the group, charting out cooldowns with the other healers and often even being the designated diagram maker for positioning for mechanics

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

CYBEReris posted:

ime healers in casual content are often just reacting to whatever happens and get bored when they don't have to heal much or annoyed when a tank is incompetent enough they need to be babysat every gcd. but then in raiding content they're by far the most organized and optimized in the group, charting out cooldowns with the other healers and often even being the designated diagram maker for positioning for mechanics

This was my experience as well leveling up a white mage in FF and a priest in WoW. I like healing but the low level instances (or rather anything that is LFG-eligible up to and including some raids) have players that are so overtuned that you end up doing more DPS than actually healing and it ends up being pretty monotonous. And of course overwold questing as a healer is nightmarish if you are solo.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

CuddleCryptid posted:

This was my experience as well leveling up a white mage in FF and a priest in WoW. I like healing but the low level instances (or rather anything that is LFG-eligible up to and including some raids) have players that are so overtuned that you end up doing more DPS than actually healing and it ends up being pretty monotonous. And of course overwold questing as a healer is nightmarish if you are solo.

Not sure about FF14 but in WoW, disc priest might be right up your alley.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Neutron posted:

Not sure about FF14 but in WoW, disc priest might be right up your alley.

I tried disc and holy, they were both fine for what it was running but at the same time it comes back to the issue that if your tank has more heirlooms than a blueblood aristocrat then heals are going to largely be for their own sake most of the time.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Healing is fun because I like watching health bars go up.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hellioning posted:

Healing is fun because I like watching health bars go up.

Me too!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Healing is the best role IMO. Doubly so if you like to do silly things like fistweaver monk in WoW. Punch things to heal your comrades! :black101: