Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

happyhippy posted:

Ryan wasn't given anything to work with.
At the start he had a live blog and was telling the story of the Doctor. That could have been fun, him recording things and commenting on them during events like a 5th Element Chris Rock character, but that was dropped instantly.

Goon faceblindness continues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jisforjosh posted:

I wish I could get a patented 8th Doctor mind wipe so I could forget The Fifth Element.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The 5th Element was Love.

Edit: Ah Chris Tucker. My bad.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 22, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol why would you want to forget the 5th element

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

'cause it's a poo poo movie.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Excuse me, have you seen this still image from it? Isn't that great?

Now let us say no more, especially about the writing, acting, pacing, and direction.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh sorry, didn't see it was davros speaking in-character but lmao at davros calling anything else poo poo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Fifth Element is great, it shouldn't be but it is

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

You say that and yet my subjective opinion is different to yours. How you do you explain that? :smug:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Fifth Element is great, it shouldn't be but it is

Exactly :hmmyes:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

UHHHHHH

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1517903637476958208?s=20&t=fkEYcgZAwoBHu4ln7C1jOg

Big Finish keeps on winning!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Honestly, just cast Jo Martin as the 15th and give her an actual chance without the baggage of all that Timeless Child stuff, IMHO.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They’re going to have to change up Dhawan’s Master a lot then, because psycho bonkers doesn’t make for a hugely compelling protagonist. I don’t really want to root for the mass murderer.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 23, 2022

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

They’re going to have to change up Dhawan’s Master a lot then, because psycho bonkers doesn’t make for a hugely compelling protagonist. I don’t really want to root for the mass murderer.

They already do series with Jacobi, Gomez, and Roberts' Masters, and they're all mass murderers.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I guessed Dhawan's Master would be coming to audio at some point, given his long standing relationship with the company, but I wasn't expecting it so soon.

I'm assuming this means that in the special The Master will get injured/let in a situation that requires a regeneration, so we can have a surprise recast in a series or two. Honestly it would be nice to keep him around for 14, we've not had a Master incarnation across multiple Doctors for a while.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

OldMemes posted:

I guessed Dhawan's Master would be coming to audio at some point, given his long standing relationship with the company, but I wasn't expecting it so soon.

I'm assuming this means that in the special The Master will get injured/let in a situation that requires a regeneration, so we can have a surprise recast in a series or two. Honestly it would be nice to keep him around for 14, we've not had a Master incarnation across multiple Doctors for a while.

Simm mastered opposite Tennant and Capaldi, although I understand why that might not be what you mean.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Whittaker regenerates into Tennant but only for a minute, trying on a few different bodies just to screw with everyone.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Doctor’s currently burning it up in the U18s Premier League:

https://twitter.com/acadwatch/status/1517842562366812163

There’s a joke in Flux about the Doctor once being a ball boy for Trent Alexander-Arnold. Cannonier was the famous ball boy at the Barcelona game who allowed Trent to take the corner quickly and pass to Origi to score.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

With the exception of Yaz and The Doctor's conversation, I don't remember a single thing that happened in that entire episode.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jisforjosh posted:

Prosopagnosia is a real thing that millions upon millions of people have.

Seriously. It's one in 50 people. It's not some rare weird thing or restricted to TVIV.

I didn't even know I had it until I was like 36.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

With the exception of Yaz and The Doctor's conversation, I don't remember a single thing that happened in that entire episode.

I haven't watched the episode yet and it's comments like these that make me keep putting it off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I haven't watched the episode yet and it's comments like these that make me keep putting it off.

This reminded me that I hadn't made any mp4s from the episode yet. Going back through really hammered home to me again just how bad the editing was, and I think more than ever I'm convinced it was because they were editing around either a lack of footage or footage that was just unusable. There are significant scenes where characters are reacting to each other (other humans, not CGI creations) where it looks for all the world like the other actor wasn't present. Might have been due to being filmed under COVID conditions perhaps, but it creates this really weird disconnect where people aren't really interacting in a way that feels at all natural.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Legend of the Sea Devils mp4s - click to view:

Also oh my God I finally figured out why my mp4 uploads to imgur would never have sound - I was uploading them directly to the album and for whatever reason that bypasses the option to turn on sound, I have to just do a standard upload to my account and THEN add them to the album and that's so loving stupid goddammit. Imgur is still resizing the image dimensions for whatever reason but gently caress it, this is progress.

https://i.imgur.com/uELRLxf.mp4

:cripes:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 24, 2022

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Davros1 posted:

They already do series with Jacobi, Gomez, and Roberts' Masters, and they're all mass murderers.
They all love being the villain and are fun.
I only watched a couple of the Dhawan master episodes and only once - Spyfall, and the Timeless Children - but he just seemed fake angry and boring. I cannot express what a disappointing missed opportunity his facial hair was - it was hobo Simm eating people in a junkyard rather than dapper Ainley.
Maybe Big Finish can pump some life into him.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They'll definitely put James Goss on an episode, and he's an excellent writer. He's the one who cracked how to write The War Master in The Master Of Callous and wrote a good Missy play last year where she traps a man's brain in a handbag.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

When Dan and Di spoke over the phone was the only time I felt any emotion in that episode. I hope they get together. Everyone else, well who gives a poo poo about their exposition.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1518648404259311620?s=20&t=phfdSnqcjzyQh5xTt7fUrw

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chibnall fully expects Davies to ignore what he's done with the series' lore

quote:

“You’re not carrying a vase across a room – you’ve got to get in there and say what you want about the show, the character and the world. It’s one of the few drama series without a written bible, and every era contains a contradiction or left-turn from what has come before. Any future showrunner will ignore it or run with it.”

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Chibnall fully expects Davies to have 'fallen asleep' while reviewing his episodes

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Not every series you can prescribe episodes as sleep aids, I imagine

https://twitter.com/Kranitoko/status/1518921361061822465

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

This isn't true though, is it. Most showrunners write around contradictions and left-turns or, if they include them, it's accidental. Chibs himself is downplaying his own mistakes now, knowing there's not a chance in hell RTD will acknowledge them.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Judging by the photo, RTD is back and making the series as gay as possible. I can support that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Not every series you can prescribe episodes as sleep aids, I imagine

https://twitter.com/Kranitoko/status/1518921361061822465

Those were Romans, not Spartans! :argh:

I don't know if those guys are actually dressed as Spartans or not.... :ssh:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Updog Scully posted:

This isn't true though, is it. Most showrunners write around contradictions and left-turns or, if they include them, it's accidental. Chibs himself is downplaying his own mistakes now, knowing there's not a chance in hell RTD will acknowledge them.

Yeah, stuff like the First Doctor having one heart, Susan coining the term TARDIS, half human on my mother's side etc can be ignored as not important. Timeless Child fundamentally changes the character, and not in a positive way.

Anyway, Big Finish are having a Companion Chronicles sale, aside from the two Peris one, I don't know much about the range. Any essentials?

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 27, 2022

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

OldMemes posted:

Yeah, stuff like the First Doctor having one heart, Susan coining the term TARDIS, half human on my mother's side etc can be ignored as not important. Timeless Child fundamentally changes the character, and not in a positive way.

Anyway, Big Finish are having a Companion Chronicles sale, aside from the two Peris one, I don't know much about the range. Any essentials?

The three Sarah Kingdom ones are really good.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

OldMemes posted:

I feel like a lot of stuff that got ignored was from when it was difficult/expensive/rare for audiences to go back and check details of previous episodes, unless they happened to catch a repeat. Its a lot more difficult to blatantly ignore something from a previous episode when there is every chance a streaming algorithm will recommend viewers the episode thats being ignored as a "people also watched", and social media exists and is populated with people who will immediately post a gif of the ignored scene.

Except for the half human on my mothers side bit, but everyone just kind of agrees that was loving stupid and is best ignored even if you happened to own the video tape.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

OldMemes posted:

The Suffering
The Magician's Oath
The Mahogany Murderers
Solitaire
The Flames of Cadiz
The Rocket Men
Return of the Rocket Men
The Scorchies
The Library of Alexandria
Mastermind
Upstairs

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 28, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I sometimes think about the original idea that the Doctor was a human scientist from the 50th Century who was looking for a perfect future to settle he and his granddaughter in and I'm so glad that never got past the concept stage.

From memory, when does the two hearts first get mentioned? I know the 2nd Doctor encounters an alien race with two hearts at one point (The Dominators?) but is the first actual statement that the Doctor has two hearts as well come in Spearhead from Space?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jerusalem posted:

I sometimes think about the original idea that the Doctor was a human scientist from the 50th Century who was looking for a perfect future to settle he and his granddaughter in and I'm so glad that never got past the concept stage.

From memory, when does the two hearts first get mentioned? I know the 2nd Doctor encounters an alien race with two hearts at one point (The Dominators?) but is the first actual statement that the Doctor has two hearts as well come in Spearhead from Space?

I'm pretty sure it's Spearhead from Space, where it's basically just a narrative shortcut to establish that Pertwee is indeed the Doctor.

EDIT: Regeneration limits are probably a thing for the exact same reason; Delgado died and they needed an explanation for why the Master got all melty.

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rochallor posted:

EDIT: Regeneration limits are probably a thing for the exact same reason; Delgado died and they needed an explanation for why the Master got all melty.

Which makes no sense, as surely you could just get another actor in? Why did he have to be melty?