Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

codo27 posted:

gently caress google and any other company who ships a phone without a block.

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

quote:

I've had the phone plugged in about 4 hours now and its at 76% from 15% at start

Have you turned off adaptive charging yet? That's what it does, is slow down charging when it feels like the phone is almost charged.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

codo27 posted:

The other thing is charging. gently caress google and any other company who ships a phone without a block
alternatively, gently caress any company who creates extra e-waste, plastics, shipping materials and consequently spends more on shipping to include a charging brick that nearly no one needs. a brick can be ordered with the phone or purchased at countless locations if you're one of the few people who doesn't already have one

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hello, I'm checking in for the return of the charger derail. Please give me a seat on the "it's pointless to include chargers" side.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

if you're buying one of these expensiveass luxury devices, you can buy an Amazon Basics 65w charger and a cable and be set. USB-C is here to stay, as far as I know, invest in a good charger and cable already

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

butt dickus posted:

alternatively, gently caress any company who creates extra e-waste, plastics, shipping materials and consequently spends more on shipping to include a charging brick that nearly no one needs. a brick can be ordered with the phone or purchased at countless locations if you're one of the few people who doesn't already have one

You know, I'd agree with this if these companies would also come and say: We don't include a charger anymore, the phone is therefore $5 cheaper.
You know what? That is perfect. Instead, they say: "The price of the phone increased by $100, and now you don't have a charger (it's $50), because gently caress you, our CEO needs another yacht".

And that's why I personally dislike the move. Principle. Not that I would need a charger. Same thing with product shrinking over the years. Same (or higher) price, smaller box, less stuff.

But, alas, that ship has sailed so ...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Volguus posted:

You know what? That is perfect. Instead, they say: "The price of the phone increased by $100, and now you don't have a charger (it's $50), because gently caress you, our CEO needs another yacht".
the phone in question (pixel 6) is $100 cheaper than the phone it replaced, try again

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Phones are standardized enough that catering to the small number of people who don't already have chargers and cables just seems wasteful and pointless. And with wireless charging becoming more common it is just even more pointless to put little USB charging adapters in with every single phone. Include a cable, sure, especially a less common thing like USB-C to C for transferring from one phone to another, but even that is feeling like an edge case.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

codo27 posted:

I've had the pixel 6 for a month now, I have to say that outside the battery life and camera its largely a disappointment. Performs much worse than my old S20, with many notable hitches and lags whereas I had none on the older Samsung device. The cost of better battery life I guess. The form factor is needlessly obtuse, an absolute albatross. I cant imagine how anyone uses the Pro when the base 6 is this big and unruly. Not to mention I'm an anti-caser so its even worse for most other people. The fact that its so thick and still needs the awful camera mountain (cant call it just a 'bump') is a bit crazy. Fingerprint sensor is maybe better than the S20 but far from perfect.

The other thing is charging. gently caress google and any other company who ships a phone without a block. I have a QC3 charger and a brand new PD3 cable, and I've had the phone plugged in about 4 hours now and its at 76% from 15% at start. Meanwhile, my wireless charger on my desk at work charges it fairly quickly, probably faster than it did the S20 but most other chargers seem slower.

I hope by the time I can justify another phone purchase there is something actually good that can be had with relative ease in Canada.

e: thought I had a realization while writing this and that I should be using the bundled cable because it has an adapter after all. Except the adapter is just a OTG one that hardly anyone will ever need compared to a female C adapter that someone might actually be able to use with an older block. You know, the kind you already have laying around and their excuse for not putting one in the box. gently caress phone manufacturers right to hell with a flaming wire brush.

QC3 is an old dead standard that hasn't been relevant in at least 5 years and there's no such thing as a "Female USB-C" adapter because it violates spec.

Seriously, you're complaining that a power adapter with a USB-A connector on it that serves up a proprietary Qualcomm charging standard is charging a phone without a Qualcomm chip in it slow when everyone else has moved on to USB-PD half a decade ago.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

QC3 is an old dead standard that hasn't been relevant in at least 5 years and there's no such thing as a "Female USB-C" adapter because it violates spec.

Seriously, you're complaining that a power adapter with a USB-A connector on it that serves up a proprietary Qualcomm charging standard is charging a phone without a Qualcomm chip in it slow when everyone else has moved on to USB-PD half a decade ago.

That's right and they're very angry about it too

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

butt dickus posted:

the phone in question (pixel 6) is $100 cheaper than the phone it replaced, try again

lol

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

butt dickus posted:

Touché. And to this I say: good for them. Regardless how much (if anything) the charger removal had to do with the price decrease, a lower price is always welcomed. If others who do this follow suit with a lower price too, then good for them too.
The company who originally started this was Apple (if i'm not mistaken) and there was no price reduction. The reason given (waste reduction, pollution, bla bla) it's all bullshit, they don't give a crap about that.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Well I got the S21+ and no complaints. It's like having a slightly snappier S10+. Just need my carrier to migrate my service to the eSIM and I can go dual SIM again.

Also in the 'i have more than enough 65W+ PD chargers please don't give me another charger' camp.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Is Canada known for not having access to good telephones or are you just not happy with any phone?

We have easy access to any phone here. Same as the USA.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Also the pixel 6 pro rules, op

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I had a two week detour into the S22 Ultra and then like a half of week into the Pixel 5 and I'm back on to the P6P.

This is probably the longest I've gone primarily using one specific phone since the Pixel 2 XL.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

CLAM DOWN posted:

We have easy access to any phone here. Same as the USA.

Yeah I know I was mostly trolling him for being super picky

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This is the same guy who just wants Windows 10 on a phone.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The Pixel 6 series wasn't a home run but it was a decent result. And since almost everything else has been boring, disappointing, or both, it's looking better with age. It just wasn't a particularly good year for smartphones. Here's hoping the Pixel 6a hits the sweet spot and delivers some of that old-time Nexus feeling!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's probably going to be a decent result of being the first time I've bought two years of Google phones in a row, because the P6 is a piece of poo poo that needs to go ASAP, I hate IOS, and I don't want a Samsung phone.

Lately I've been having a problem where maps just blackscreens, and another where it doesn't report local temperature on the home screen. Oh and the P6 plays outgoing rings at ear volume when in speaker mode, because it's a piece of loving garbage.

I loving hate this phone and I want to physically destroy it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My Pixel 6 works fine, and I'm really happy with it. I swear sometimes it feels like people have a completely different phone from the one I have. I think the only common complaint I've seen that I can relate to is the weakened haptics, but even that isn't a big deal for me. Everything else works great. :shrug:

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My Pixel 6 works fine, and I'm really happy with it. I swear sometimes it feels like people have a completely different phone from the one I have. I think the only common complaint I've seen that I can relate to is the weakened haptics, but even that isn't a big deal for me. Everything else works great. :shrug:

Yeah, it's pretty much the same for me too. My only complaint was the fingerprint reader but after getting a good screen protector, it worked well. It's been my favorite phone that I've had.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

So impressed by the camera/zoom on the s22 ultra. We get the Find X5 Pro finally in a few days and I can swap for one but I dunno if I can give up this zoom.

https://vimeo.com/700177881

Kryostic
Mar 25, 2016

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Anyone know of a screen protector for the Pixel 6 that works with the fingerprint reader? I got a Spigen one but it's like 50/50 that my fingerprint gets recognized , even after re-adding the fingerprint multiple times.

I've had good luck with Whitestone's dome glass for the Pixel 6 Pro. Works just fine (for the P6P) even without having the increase touch sensitivity option on.

In other news, I've been really disappointed with the battery life on the P6P. It's fine but for google's own flagship I'd expect to not drop 10% overnight when unplugged. It was closer to 15-18% most nights until I turned off ambient display during those hours. I have wireless chargers at work and home so keeping it topped off isn't hard at least.

I do have my preferred network type as LTE. 5G definitely drained the battery quicker, especially overnight.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
On my second pixel 6 with TMobile and second tech support ticket. Wifi calling doesn't work with Google one VPN enabled. Works fine on cell tower.

Normally I'd assume the inconvenience of having to disable the VPN when trying to call over wifi, but TMobile is advertising Google one on their website. It would be nice if something they offered was configured to just work.

Amusing side note, I started with a tech support call to Google one when I got the first pixel 6. I had to explain to the Google tech guy what wifi calling was. :dafuq:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wonder if that's because of Tmobile's dynamic Ipv6, that breaks stuff on their home internet

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Android 12 came to OnePlus 8T. It seems to work, which was unexpected. So far.

daphrot
Apr 1, 2018
does disabling 5G and ambient display on the pixel 6 pro actually help with battery life or is it just placebo?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

daphrot posted:

does disabling 5G and ambient display on the pixel 6 pro actually help with battery life or is it just placebo?

Using Ambient Display can actually increase your battery life, because you're not waking your phone up to check notifications and instead glancing at the lower power ambient display. So I strongly recommend using it.

5G I'm not sure. I turned it back on because it's noticeably faster here. But honestly not sure, objectively.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

This update I'm getting on a Pixel 5a with Fi, says it's about a week old and only 14MB -- is it supposed to be on its way to taking about two hours to install in the "optimizing your device" phase?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

Using Ambient Display can actually increase your battery life, because you're not waking your phone up to check notifications and instead glancing at the lower power ambient display. So I strongly recommend using it.

5G I'm not sure. I turned it back on because it's noticeably faster here. But honestly not sure, objectively.

I could be misremembering but a long time back Google made it so that waking the lockscreen doesn't cause a "wake" action which would kick off apps to wake up and check for things as part of their big battery life push.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

withoutclass posted:

I could be misremembering but a long time back Google made it so that waking the lockscreen doesn't cause a "wake" action which would kick off apps to wake up and check for things as part of their big battery life push.

No app wake yes, but you're still turning on the screen which is the biggest power suck on your phone. It adds up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

This update I'm getting on a Pixel 5a with Fi, says it's about a week old and only 14MB -- is it supposed to be on its way to taking about two hours to install in the "optimizing your device" phase?

Yeah, ever since 12 it takes forever to go through the app optimization phase since it's a background task. It has to do the same amount of work in that step no matter how big the update is.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, ever since 12 it takes forever to go through the app optimization phase since it's a background task. It has to do the same amount of work in that step no matter how big the update is.
interesting, ty. Wound up jumping to done since I posted that so closer to one hour but that still sucks. I feel like I shouldn't be using it that whole time.

Also feels like it used to be set to silently download the update and then prompt you to install, but that doesn't seem to be happening anymore. idk if that setting changed or went away or it's also plausible that the "detect when idle to do stuff" algorithm is just bad at catching on when your work/sleep schedule changes cause mine usually does a few times a year.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Someone suggested disabling adaptive battery would solve the issue of my p6 taking forever to charge. I didn't gently caress with that, but I wanted to offer another potential solution in case it happens to someone else.

I have no cell service at home and rely on wifi calling/texting, which generally works fine. Not so since I got this phone. Things struggle to send if they do at all and I'll often get a blast of notifications when entering cell coverage. I was digging through the settings and found "adaptive connectivity". Turned it off and my text related woes seem to be over.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, lately I've been experiencing this weird thing where my phone (P4XL, on the latest software) no longer sends media audio of any form to my bt earbuds after I receive a call. If I try to place another call, it routes through them fine, but playing music/podcasts/etc doesn't. There's also a slight hum in my earbuds, as if the Phone app is holding it open, but I haven't had any luck force stopping it (or any related service). Toggling bt on/off doesn't do anything. Neither does power cycling the earbuds. The only thing that seems to work is rebooting my phone. Anyone else run into this?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Anker finally released their next gen 100w USB-C charger, the 736, and it's the real deal.

I had the prior gen Power Port III dual USB-C 100w charger and while it did work decently enough it was a bit glitchy and limited.

On the glitchy front, it actually couldn't charge my Anker Powerstation properly. Just for whatever reason, it refused to charge it. It didn't matter which C port was in use or if only one was plugged in or two were in use. It would keep the the PowerStation on, but the battery would slowly drain.

This one, however, doesn't have any issue at all charging it and charging it at 100w.

On the limited front, the older PowerPort III would limit to 3A if both ports were in use. It still supported PPS thankfully, but that meant on Samsung devices you were knocked down to SuperCharge 1.0 speeds, you basically would max out at 27w on the S22U or Tab series. The new charger supports 3.75A on port 1 when both ports are in use, so you could actually charge an S22U at 34w while still charging a Pixel 6 pro at 23w (port 2 maxes out at 2.5A when port 1 is in use.). This is a much better balance of current for the two ports vs both being 3A.

It also has an A port that can go up to 22w. With the A port in use, the two other C ports STILL support PPS though the charger isn't clear on the amperage. I still get the SuperCharge toast on a Samsung device (which means PPS), just not 2.0.

This makes a very good charger for Samsung devices since if your charger isn't outputting PPS, you are capped at 15w.

So, basically this is the swiss army knife of chargers and the fact that it's GaN means it's smaller than the outgoing charger. It's like the perfect travel charger since it will charge your laptop, phone, watch, battery pack, what have you at maximum rates if singly and faster than any other charger if they are all connected at the same time.

Now, the bad news. It's expensive ($76) which honestly is still in line with other 100w chargers, but it's also already OOS even though it just launched like two days ago. However, it's pretty much the last charger you will ever need until the 240w standard becomes common.

They do have a cheaper (and smaller) 65w version with the same number of ports that's readily available so that's an option, but it matches out at 3A so it will only charge the S22U at 27w instead of 45w.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Anyone have experience with the add-on Qi wireless adapters to make a phone without wireless charging being able to wirelessly charge? I have a couple on the way to try out, and I was just curious if others had experience with them. The main purpose would be to make my ancient phone I use as an alarm clock just be able to sit on a wireless charger instead of having a cable dangling off it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

XIII posted:

So, lately I've been experiencing this weird thing where my phone (P4XL, on the latest software) no longer sends media audio of any form to my bt earbuds after I receive a call. If I try to place another call, it routes through them fine, but playing music/podcasts/etc doesn't. There's also a slight hum in my earbuds, as if the Phone app is holding it open, but I haven't had any luck force stopping it (or any related service). Toggling bt on/off doesn't do anything. Neither does power cycling the earbuds. The only thing that seems to work is rebooting my phone. Anyone else run into this?

My P6 does the same thing with one of my BT devices. IDK if it's because of an Android update or just because the P6 is the worst phone made in over 10 years, but it is pretty much the same problem you're having. Does your phone still show the checkbox for media when this happens? My phone doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

XIII posted:

Yes my P6P started doing this recently. It's annoying because no one I know actually calls me, it's all spam.