Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's not the same chip as the 351 line, I think it's a newer chip. Anbernic's model numbers I believe are screen size+chip so 503 would be 5.0 inch screen and whatever they have as the 3 chip). The video showed PSP performance at a point where I could see it running at full speed with custom firmware. My thought of it is that it's a side device to the 552 with a smaller screen and no fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

The 7th Guest posted:

is it smart to keep upping the display/res on the same underpowered chip?

Probably not, though a lot of ports do work with it; but moreso IMO it's not very smart to keep sticking with the same bad L2/R2 design. After playing on the rgb10 max 2 I really just wouldn't want to go back to the side-by-side shoulder buttons.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

njsykora posted:

It's not the same chip as the 351 line, I think it's a newer chip. Anbernic's model numbers I believe are screen size+chip so 503 would be 5.0 inch screen and whatever they have as the 3 chip). The video showed PSP performance at a point where I could see it running at full speed with custom firmware. My thought of it is that it's a side device to the 552 with a smaller screen and no fan.

If the price is right that might mean a sale for me. Absolutely against fans in my handhelds.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's a RK3566 so it's better than the 3326 in the 351 line but not on the level of the 3599 in the 552 (aaaah numbers). Also still only 1GB of RAM so it's not like Android is going to be good on it either.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Need to see the price point on it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's a RK3566 so it's better than the 3326 in the 351 line but not on the level of the 3599 in the 552 (aaaah numbers). Also still only 1GB of RAM so it's not like Android is going to be good on it either.

Isn't RAM dirt cheap? Why not just make it 2-4 Gigabytes at this point? Lack of space?

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

oh goddamit I’m a moron who got distracted and momentarily plugged the charging cable into the wrong USB port on my 351V. Hoping I didn’t fry anything important in the 5 seconds it took me to realize my idiocy before I yanked it from power, although everything still seems to be functional (PC can see the device over USB, it can detect and power USB stuff through that port still, everything boots just fine).

I’d managed to avoid doing anything like this in decades of owning electronic tat, I suppose I was due for this one

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Pretty sure I’ve done that a 2 digit number of times on mine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I’ve done that multiple times.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Can't see where this fits, sure it has a better screen but it still can't play games at full speed and utilize that screen at the same time.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Good to know I didn’t wreck anything then!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Miyoo mini is such a fantastic little device. The screen is super great too.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

zzMisc posted:

I think I found the problem. The rescue script attempts to copy a gamecontrollerdb.txt file that doesn't exist to /opt/ppsspp/assets/ and /opt/ppssppgo/assets/. To fix it you need to add the config to the gamecontrollerdb.txt file in these locations.

Each entry in gamecontollerdb.txt starts with a hex ID. The hex ID for Odroid Go Super, RG351MP, RGB10Max, and RGB10Max2 is 190000004b4800000011000000010000. Unfortunately since these actually have different control layouts despite having the same ID, you have to replace the gamecontrollerdb.txt depending on which device you have.

So, what you need to do is edit /opt/ppsspp/assets/gamecontrollerdb.txt (and I guess the one in ppssppgo, not sure what the difference in the versions is), make sure it doesn't already have a 190000004b4800000011000000010000 identifier, and add one of these two below:

code:
#RGB10Max2 (bottom start/back)
190000004b4800000011000000010000,GO-Super Gamepad,x:b3,a:b0,b:b1,y:b2,back:b14,guide:b12,start:b15,dpleft:b10,dpdown:b9,dpright:b11,dpup:b8,leftshoulder:b4,lefttrigger:b6,rightshoulder:b5,righttrigger:b7,leftstick:b16,rightstick:b17,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,rightx:a2,righty:a3,platform:Linux,

#RGB10Max2 (top start/back)
190000004b4800000011000000010000,GO-Super Gamepad,x:b3,a:b0,b:b1,y:b2,back:b12,guide:b14,start:b13,dpleft:b10,dpdown:b9,dpright:b11,dpup:b8,leftshoulder:b4,lefttrigger:b6,rightshoulder:b5,righttrigger:b7,leftstick:b16,rightstick:b17,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,rightx:a2,righty:a3,platform:Linux,
After that you *should* be able to use Select+X to open the menu. Or it might be Select+Y. Or the *other* select and X or Y. Just mess with it and you'll get in there somehow and can adjust the buttons accordingly.

Thanks for the config help, I appreciate it. Sadly, adding that line to the file didn't allow me to open the config in PPSSPP, I tried all combinations of start/select x/y and others.

I've got another SD Card with Batocera now. PSP is going much better on this one, though I'm still only really trying with Disgaea. I can open the menu here with Select+B. What is odd is that the analog input is inverted. When I open the PPSSPP menu and re-map, it works. But it forgets the controller mapping when the emulator closes. Another interesting thing is that on Batocera the gamecontrollerdb.txt file has only one entry that is the same data as yours just in a different order, so it's strange that it doesn't work in RetroOZ.

With the better PSP performance & the other systems seem to work just as well, so I'll stick with Batocera for now. In PSP and DS games I have to use the hardware L2/R2 buttons for L/R in game, and a few other odd things, but otherwise this should keep me gaming for now. Also it has a nice thing where if I've got save states on the game I can load directly from that instead of having to open the game then input to load a state, so that's nice.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

RP2+ finally showed up. I didn’t realize how loving heavy the 351mp really was until I picked this thing up. Runs DC and N64 like a dream compared to the headache I had trying to get them to play ball on the 351.

I’m diving in to the world of MSU-1 SNES mods now and having a good time. Worth the wait for sure.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

PlesantDilemma posted:

I've got another SD Card with Batocera now. PSP is going much better on this one, though I'm still only really trying with Disgaea. I can open the menu here with Select+B. What is odd is that the analog input is inverted. When I open the PPSSPP menu and re-map, it works. But it forgets the controller mapping when the emulator closes.

Batocera regenerates the config file every time it launches (mostly for systems that would use external controllers), so changes made inside the emulator don’t stick.

If the input is inverted only in one emulator that’s a bug, you should probably report it either on the Discord, forum, or GitHub. V34 is winding down the beta cycle, so maybe someone can get to it before the final.

If it’s happening in other emulators, reconfiguring the controls in Emulation Station should fix it.

I don’t know who has access to the same device, but I’m sure one of the other devs does or it wouldn’t be supported.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

If it’s the RGB10 Max 2, there’s something in the kernel that causes analog controls to be inverted in anything where you can’t set them yourself, iirc.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Indeed it's the 10 Max 2. I've found that if I use PPSSPP to make a game specific config then it remembers the changed controls. I'll try to write up a bug report on their GitHub when I can. Thanks all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The RG503 is $135.

It’s ok I guess?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I have enough of these things and don't need any more but it seems interesting compared to the rgb10 max 2, I personally don't consider the RP2+ to be in the same category at all with it's smaller screen size and dpad placement. As always I'm sure Russ will put it through it's paces and note any glaring problems.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

What's the current state of SNES and PSX on the Miyoo mini? I know at least some SNES was rough early on, but there have been firmware and Onion updates since.

Basically, the mini I originally ordered for my kid finally arrived, but he's happy with his 351P. I'm considering switching from my 351V down to the mini so I have something that's easier to just stick in a pocket and run around with. Then I need to sell off whichever system I don't want to keep.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What's the word on sub-$150 handhelds with large screens? I loved the 351 but had to return it because the screen was too small for my bad eyes. Looks like the RGB10 Max 2 and the 503 will be the best options for the near future. Is there anything else I should take a look at?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Only other option I can think of off the top of my head is a second hand Vita if you can find one for $150.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

njsykora posted:

Only other option I can think of off the top of my head is a second hand Vita if you can find one for $150.

Good luck. The best rate I could find when I got my Vita was around $250, but that was in the tail end of the pandemic. Prices may have dropped since. Also you're not getting Saturn or Dreamcast with it, and even N64 is iffy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I couldn't in good faith recommend a vita for emulation in 2022.

Unless its just ps1 and vita.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

MarcusSA posted:

It's fine for most 8 and 16 bit consoles, and I'm really enjoying using it as a portable ScummVM system. Also you forgot the PSP.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

MarcusSA posted:

Same. I have a Vita and RP2+. The 2+ was cheaper and can emulate better. I just play Vita games on my vita. (Which if you haven’t had one before is worth it for Persona 4 Golden alone) :D

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Explosionface posted:

What's the current state of SNES and PSX on the Miyoo mini? I know at least some SNES was rough early on, but there have been firmware and Onion updates since.

Basically, the mini I originally ordered for my kid finally arrived, but he's happy with his 351P. I'm considering switching from my 351V down to the mini so I have something that's easier to just stick in a pocket and run around with. Then I need to sell off whichever system I don't want to keep.

The Mini is great with SNES and PSX as far as I’ve played, using the latest Onion beta. Yoshi’s Island runs fine (my usual SNES tester) - I don’t really know of any common PSX stress-test games but I’ve been playing THPS2 at 2x resolution and it’s fine for that.

The Mini’s become my most played device, beating the 552 and 351p. It’s just so quick to get in/out/between different games, far quicker than the better spec Anbernic devices. I’d like to think I’ll use my Odin more whenever that arrives, but the Mini’s just so drat convenient.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Froist posted:

The Mini is great with SNES and PSX as far as I’ve played, using the latest Onion beta. Yoshi’s Island runs fine (my usual SNES tester) - I don’t really know of any common PSX stress-test games but I’ve been playing THPS2 at 2x resolution and it’s fine for that.

The Mini’s become my most played device, beating the 552 and 351p. It’s just so quick to get in/out/between different games, far quicker than the better spec Anbernic devices. I’d like to think I’ll use my Odin more whenever that arrives, but the Mini’s just so drat convenient.

I agree with all of this.

It’s just such a snappy device with a fantastic screen.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just grabbed a Miyoo Mini from KeepRetro..you're all a bunch of pushers.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Photex posted:

Just grabbed a Miyoo Mini from KeepRetro..you're all a bunch of pushers.

Honestly it’s cheap enough that I don’t even Feel bad.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Honestly it’s cheap enough that I don’t even Feel bad.

will be a nice companion for my 351p and Odin Lite (whenever i get it)

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

It's possible I may end up regretting it, but I've got a RG503 ordered. Now back to my rgb10 max 2 and to avoid thinking about this until it suddenly shows up at my door in a month or two.

https://anbernic.com/products/anbernic-rg503

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Right now, for the first time in a long time I feel in a pretty good spot between the Nintendo switch online games and a vita.

Between those two, that’s like 99% of what I’d want to play

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Lester Shy posted:

What's the word on sub-$150 handhelds with large screens? I loved the 351 but had to return it because the screen was too small for my bad eyes. Looks like the RGB10 Max 2 and the 503 will be the best options for the near future. Is there anything else I should take a look at?

I’m in the same boat. I have a 351v with 351Elec on it and I love the OS and ease of use. But the form factor and screen size is too small. The 503 looks near perfect but I dunno.

I was not impressed with my Vita’s emulation abilities I will say.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Speaking of here is Russ’s in depth review of the 503

https://youtu.be/fUh7NqwPlBQ

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

Speaking of here is Russ’s in depth review of the 503

https://youtu.be/fUh7NqwPlBQ

tl;dw if you want anything above the PS1 just get a Pocket 2+, if you have a 351 already it's probably not worth is what I got out of it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah so far nothings really wowed me as much as the RP2+ at that pricepoint.

I wanna check out some of the higher end windows handhelds like GPD/Odin/Steamdeck but availability is iffy and will continue to be.

anyway, PM me if you wanna offload your junk.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Photex posted:

tl;dw if you want anything above the PS1 just get a Pocket 2+, if you have a 351 already it's probably not worth is what I got out of it.

Caveat: This was with stock, and both N64 and NDS function "worse than on a 351 with custom firmware." N64 in particular was tested with retroarch cores rather than standalones because the standalones aren't set up right.

It remains to be seen of course but with cfw I'd expect both of these to run at *least* as well on a 351. And cfw is definitely coming, Anbernic actually sent out advance units to devs this time.

It is still very much an incremental upgrade of course. Personally I ordered one for that sweet oled and internal 5gz wifi, even if it doesn't perform appreciably better than a 351.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

coconono posted:

yeah so far nothings really wowed me as much as the RP2+ at that pricepoint.

I wanna check out some of the higher end windows handhelds like GPD/Odin/Steamdeck but availability is iffy and will continue to be.

anyway, PM me if you wanna offload your junk.

The problem of course being that it genuinely is extremely hard to get a RP2+ without waiting for several months, much like a Steam Deck. I would probably put in an order myself if not for that issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

zzMisc posted:

Caveat: This was with stock, and both N64 and NDS function "worse than on a 351 with custom firmware." N64 in particular was tested with retroarch cores rather than standalones because the standalones aren't set up right.

It remains to be seen of course but with cfw I'd expect both of these to run at *least* as well on a 351. And cfw is definitely coming, Anbernic actually sent out advance units to devs this time.

It is still very much an incremental upgrade of course. Personally I ordered one for that sweet oled and internal 5gz wifi, even if it doesn't perform appreciably better than a 351.

according to the Retro discord though they sent out devices sure but they didn't release their firmware source which means no one is really working on it/or won't be out for a long time.