Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ulmont posted:

It’s the only reasonable way to get to South Georgia from New Orleans.

Still not seeing a reasonable scenario there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Marshal Prolapse posted:

This owns. Even if it’s all just a weird happenstance of random accidents, this is absolutely gonna make the Russians super paranoid and throw them off balance, well whatever little bounce they have.

Yeah I'm sure they will investigate this in the calm, rational manner that has come to be expected of the KGB or FSB or whatever they're called now.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
btw head of roskosmos has been an exceptionally vocal supporter of the war in Ukraine

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
how is he going to drop the ISS on us now

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Anything they don't want the west to see. If they leave it, it won't stay there.

It may also be a damage assessment to figure out exactly what went wrong, which they couldn't really do while it was still on fire with unknown quantities of ammunition or rocket fuel or whatever in the hold.

Is it surrounded by ships with modern anti-missile stuff? If they can sink a 43 year old ship, how is one that's 69 (nice) years older going to survive?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Kesper North posted:

how is he going to drop the ISS on us now

He still can, they just won't be able to learn anything from the experience.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Ukraine is hitting Russia hard. I can't imagine how bad it would be to lose an entire command center.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1517620500515770369?t=FyYXxtStZJq5kkqksehkew&s=19

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

ASAPI posted:

Ukraine is hitting Russia hard. I can't imagine how bad it would be to lose an entire command center.

If true, it would presumably be a big victory, but I guess I'm going to wait for confirmation from some other sources.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sir John Falstaff posted:

If true, it would presumably be a big victory, but I guess I'm going to wait for confirmation from some other sources.

Look, we reached out to Russian command for comment, but they have yet to respond

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Look, we reached out to Russian command for comment, but they have yet to respond

I mean, there are a number of ways it could be confirmed--intercepted communications, obituaries, satellite, etc. But "we killed 50 officers at once" is a pretty massive claim, so I think it requires a bit more proof than just "a Ukrainian side official said so."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

:wow:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

50 dead Russian officers? Well that's one way to deal with the corruption problem.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The way Russia has been running this war wouldn't you wanna leave the O's alone?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

GD_American posted:

The way Russia has been running this war wouldn't you wanna leave the O's alone?

All nobles must hang

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Putting that Drone Operator on GiP Rushmore.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

Putting that Drone Operator on GiP Rushmore.

💯

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

ASAPI posted:

Russia didn't even try and float it off to the corner of the map?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I was thinking about how lovely being like an Admin O or Plan O in the TOC that got taken out. Then I started thinking about all the G5 Plans guys that are going to end defenestrated in Moscow

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Spoggerific posted:

Russia didn't even try and float it off to the corner of the map?

I'm sad to say I understand this reference.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So besides nukes, what does Russia care so much about in that wreckage to already do a salvage op?

https://twitter.com/iaponomarenko/status/1517398931306594306

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I'm beginning to think maybe Russia is kind of bad!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

cruft posted:

Just be sure to not dehumanize yourself by calling them Orcs.

I have no idea if I'm being sarcastic or not.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

cruft posted:

:smug:: "Don't be such a child. What, you think this is some kind of battle between 'good' and 'evil' and that the invading Russian soldier is a 'bad' orc that must be killed? As if the United States never booby-trapped children's toys en masse. Besides, those bombs were only going to kill Nazis anyways.

What?? You're accusing me of supporting Russia!? I dare you to point out a single example! That's right, you can't."

Sorry, I was reading the frenzied responses to M Gargantua's posts in the bad thread and caught a few brain worms that needed expunging. We need a red-brown tankie variant of the smug emoji... combined with the can of worms emoji?

And I'm afraid this is going to be a post purely on the meta discussion as I have to recommend the latest I Don't Speak German episode on the recent anti-Ukraine conspiracy mongering of the reactionary, faux-leftist crowd, with specific focus on Jimmy Dore.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
... has the US ever booby trapped children's toys like that?

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Do blankets count?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Spoggerific posted:

Do blankets count?

:drat:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Spoggerific posted:

Do blankets count?

I don't know that the historical record supports that story. There's plenty of other genocide to account for against the native Americans.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

I don't know that the historical record supports that story. There's plenty of other genocide to account for against the native Americans.
It's some Ward Churchill poo poo. We did plenty of real bad poo poo to the Natives without having to make poo poo up.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Does it count if we just didn't care?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

I did a few hours research on this one night.

IIRC, it happened once on purpose in the late 18th/early 19th century in PA, and partially misconstrued. I think it was some garrison commander proposing it after an interaction. That's from my faulty memory, so take it as you will.

It became propaganda because it seemed right, but most of the outbreaks came from trade with federal troops/garrisons/forts. The First Nations had interactions with the disease prior; it's estimated that between the 'discovery' of the new world, and the era of Manifest Destiny, Small Pox had already wiped entire tribes out through trade and whatnot.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Closest modern example I can find is our army dropping BLU-43/44s on Vietnam and Laos. Those things are what Russia reverse-engineered for the PFM-1s they been dropping on Ukraine.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I can see a chain of events where a defense contractor and a procurement board insist on a bright, easily visible color to try to reduce UXO casualties from cluster munitions that just happens to have the same chain of decisions made by the guys designing air dropped humanitarian rations, and those two groups never once communicate. These decisions could be made years apart and no one would find out until you had Team America: World Police drop both in the same place because we're a loving joke of a nation.

You could also make the argument that it was deliberately malicious and that would play well in all the right circles because it's a convenient narrative.

It's still not making mines that look like toy trains level of evil.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

IIRC, it happened once on purpose in the late 18th/early 19th century in PA, and partially misconstrued. I think it was some garrison commander proposing it after an interaction. That's from my faulty memory, so take it as you will.

It became propaganda because it seemed right, but most of the outbreaks came from trade with federal troops/garrisons/forts. The First Nations had interactions with the disease prior; it's estimated that between the 'discovery' of the new world, and the era of Manifest Destiny, Small Pox had already wiped entire tribes out through trade and whatnot.

If you're thinking about what I think you are that was between a British officer and a couple of Swiss guys.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

I can see a chain of events where a defense contractor and a procurement board insist on a bright, easily visible color to try to reduce UXO casualties from cluster munitions that just happens to have the same chain of decisions made by the guys designing air dropped humanitarian rations, and those two groups never once communicate. These decisions could be made years apart and no one would find out until you had Team America: World Police drop both in the same place because we're a loving joke of a nation.

You could also make the argument that it was deliberately malicious and that would play well in all the right circles because it's a convenient narrative.

It's still not making mines that look like toy trains level of evil.

Not in any way minimizing the deliberate crimes being committed by Russia, but how is negligence a good excuse for the US leaving a bunch of children without limbs? At the scale those bombs were dropped and with the public knowledge about UXO risks, at what point do you hold people in charge accountable for continuing to do the same thing and accepting the risks?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bulletsponge13 posted:

There's a good book that covers this among other similar topics; it's titled "1491: The Americas Before Columbus."

The long and short of it is that both are true; yes, there were attemps to deliberately spread disease, but also some estimates are that something like 90 to 95% of Native American populations were wiped out by advancing disease waves significantly before European contact, because the diseases spread faster than the Europeans did.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They changed the HDR packaging, do you think Russia will stop booby trapping children's toys

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Yeah not seeing this in the same universe as putting a grenade in a soccer ball

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Not in any way minimizing the deliberate crimes being committed by Russia, but how is negligence a good excuse for the US leaving a bunch of children without limbs? At the scale those bombs were dropped and with the public knowledge about UXO risks, at what point do you hold people in charge accountable for continuing to do the same thing and accepting the risks?

Where do you see me loving excusing this? Seriously.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
isn't that why the food packets changed color very shortly after? unless I'm missing something. they haven't been bomblet color in 20 years or something

e: yeah changed in Nov 2001

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Where do you see me loving excusing this? Seriously.

quote:

The paragraph where you described how these things just happen and who can really blame anyone?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

isn't that why the food packets changed color very shortly after? unless I'm missing something. they haven't been bomblet color in 20 years or something

e: yeah changed in 2001

It was a well known concern after our presence in SE Asia, and it still took a public scandal to consider the risk a few decades later in the GWOT.

Again, nowhere near the same level of terrible. But negligence is a bad excuse for dead children.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 23, 2022